Numbers, Cars and Quality ...

wedenterprises

Painted flats? Doesn't surprise me. While New Fantasyland definitely has it's upside, this does not inspire any confidence:

Beasts_Castle.jpg

msteel

OK, suppose for a minute that they do build Cars Land in Florida, and they majorly cheap out on it. Would it be even a moderate success, or would it be a flop?

If it is a flop, they should have no option but to conclude that it is the cheapness and the cost-cutting that destroyed it, right? After all the concept was successful beyond their wildest dreams in California. What else could make a big enough difference besides the execution?

On the other hand, if they cheap out and does not flop, then they will conclude that cost cutting is a successful way to continue running the business in Florida.

menamechris

Painted flats instead of rockwork. Wow. SO we have an insanely detailed and beautiful environment in the Fantasyland expansion - but they think that a cheap Six Flags method of saving money will work for DHS. Seriously - if they do this - the environment will not be any better than Six Flags in that park...

rioriz

Sad but I do not think anyone on this board not visiting the parks will make a difference. There are millions uneducated that will still visit blindly regardless.

Lee

Adventurer
With all the talk of value engineering on carsland, I wonder if Lasseter has given his approval on it, or if he even knows about what TDO is talking about doing.
Oh, he is well aware of the situation.
I don't think he will try to stop it, but rather will continue to express his opinion.
He technically doesn't have the "power" to stop such things, but he does have considerable clout to bargain with, if he so chooses.

Maybe we should call him. Who has his number...

Gregoryp73

Oh, he is well aware of the situation.
I don't think he will try to stop it, but rather will continue to express his opinion.
He technically doesn't have the "power" to stop such things, but he does have considerable clout to bargain with, if he so chooses.

Maybe we should call him. Who has his number...
I'll get right on that <cough>

Alektronic

Value engineer, I need to remember that term... Maybe Disney is really counting on Dec 21 being the end of the world...

I remember when I first heard that term, that is in1997 at Animal Kingdom and that was phrased many times by WDI. "This is our Value Engineered Scene" etc.

TalkingHead

How would the "studios" theme even work for the ride? The park has been moving away from the faux-soundstage crap for over a decade. But I shouldn't be surprised. If it justifies the cheapo version, I'm sure management would be happy to resurrect the working-studio line.

Oh, and when Spirit initially mentioned the possibility of Cars Land at DHS, how many of us predicted this precise scenario? Going cheap on the rocks, not offering the full Radiator Springs, etc?

A lot of us predicted it.

Don't you just love when Disney meets your lowered expectations?

Captain Neo

Every exec at TDO should be fired. Where is Tom Staggs in all of this? Does he just not give a s*** or what? I know for a fact he has been to Harry Potter land with Iger and he has spoken with Lasseter and James Cameron. He even revised the fantasyland project in an attempt to salvage it. How can he be blind to what is going and what is going to happen if they continue to value engineer at WDW?

Bolna

And while I sometimes find the constant Universal Studios comparisons annoying, I think here it is very fitting. One thing that I did not like that much about their studios park when I was there for the first time last year was that a lot of it seemed to be just facades. Of course it fits with a studios theme. But still an empty building is much less attractive than an occupied one. Sunset Boulevard and Hollywood Boulevard at DHS work because there is life in those buildings (even if it is only shops). I missed that at USO. So when I heard about them adding London from Harry Potter I was excited also because they were going to add more than just fronts (at least that's what one would expect after the experience with the WWoHP at IoA). I can't understand why Disney choses to go with the lesser product while Universal is opting for the more inclusive one.

Cardboard fronts remind me of the Walt Disney Studios Paris - the ugliest park that has Disney in its name. It really should not be used as an example for any other park - Disney or not!!

John

SO lets get all this straight.....no rock work....rides being cut....no dining.....Cars land? Now you know why I have been saying all along that I wasnt going to get psyched about any of it. My hope is they just dont build any of it. Who wants to go and see that? Think to yourself...."what could have been" You know why they will do this?...because they can and people will go in droves to see it. They will give you free food to get you to see it.

Does this news really give you any faith about AvLand, Frontierland, DTD? Forget it. I am not going to get to low over this, just like I am not going to get to high over any other rumor.

SirLink

Every exec at TDO should be fired. Where is Tom Staggs in all of this? Does he just not give a s*** or what? I know for a fact he has been to Harry Potter land with Iger and he has spoken with Lasseter and James Cameron. He even revised the fantasyland project in an attempt to salvage it. How can he be blind to what is going and what is going to happen if they continue to value engineer at WDW?

The Fantasyland project there are two tales being told on the internet:
1) Tom Staggs ordered the M+Gs cancelled as it was not enough for boys.
2)Ops said the M+G's were unworkable, and the expansion had to be changed.

Captain Chaos

They can put Avatarland in the Imagination Pavilion with an amazlingly detailed sign that reads, "Imagine, if you will, that there are floating mountains and glowing plants in this very room.."

I'm shocked they didn't put it into Universe of Energy... Can you imagine the huge show scenes and the message of Unobtanium being Earth's new source of energy? Of course, the attraction wouldn't be complete without scary AA's of Sigorney Weaver and the Na'vi.... Bill Nye would make a special appearance somewhere too...

Captain Chaos

And while I sometimes find the constant Universal Studios comparisons annoying, I think here it is very fitting. One thing that I did not like that much about their studios park when I was there for the first time last year was that a lot of it seemed to be just facades. Of course it fits with a studios theme. But still an empty building is much less attractive than an occupied one. Sunset Boulevard and Hollywood Boulevard at DHS work because there is life in those buildings (even if it is only shops). I missed that at USO. So when I heard about them adding London from Harry Potter I was excited also because they were going to add more than just fronts (at least that's what one would expect after the experience with the WWoHP at IoA). I can't understand why Disney choses to go with the lesser product while Universal is opting for the more inclusive one.

Cardboard fronts remind me of the Walt Disney Studios Paris - the ugliest park that has Disney in its name. It really should not be used as an example for any other park - Disney or not!!
One thing you wouldn't see Universal do with Potter is cardboard cut outs of any Diagon Alley or London facades... But, I see plenty of card board cut outs at Six Flags... (that should get fanboi blood boiling)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom