Account Suspended
I'll up that wager to 10 cookies.

Edit: Since you didn't specify where...
Universal:
Rip It Ride It Rockit
Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Disney's California Adventure:
1 Billion Dollar Refurb/Expansion

Don't forget the lavish big budget Transformers E-ticket Universal recently announced for California and Singapore. Concept Art in one of my previous posts.

Mike 08

hey didnt TSMM come out just less than a year ago? that ride is awesome. and extremely innovative if you ask me. so ya i think Disney still has the ability to wow us with new attractions. we might just have to wait a couple of years for the next one. for me WDW is the best theme park in the world as is. new rides would be like icing on the cake. enjoy what you have.

disnyfan89

Wow, reading great posts.

Now my famous FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

Imagine if Disney still had ride tickets? Hmmm. Now before you back off shooting this down. Consider that BACK THEN, rides were a very, very important thing...because they were DIRECT revenue.

Now that rides are included with park admission...over a very SLOW span of time...rides have become less and less important. They break down more, they aren't rehab'ed as much, etc. Why? Because they don't generate direct revenue. So Disney almost pretends as if the rides are a BONUS for you for paying to get into their park.

No longer does a certain ride's category become recognized and funded by the amount of tickets sold to get on it.

Same with Entertainment. Indirect revenue. But a different ballgame.

So what you're really doing is paying $70+ to get a chance to EXPERIENCE the same merchandise over and over, the same crappy, generic hamburger, DVC huts all over, and the same $7/hr cast members faking a smile. With rides as a bonus, and something low on the totem pole.

Think about it.
Lightboy, I'm liking you more and more everyday! If only you posted more.

Space Mountain

Don't be fooled. WDWPR can afford to construct new attractions and get the greenlight...making $100,000,000+ attractions won't be happening though...

ToTBellHop

Don't be fooled. WDWPR can afford to construct new attractions and get the greenlight...making $100,000,000+ attractions won't be happening though...
sure it will--not now, but I would bet money that there will be at least one more $100,000,000 attraction at some point. Disney can't avoid building new E-Tickets forever, and even Jay Rasulo knows that.

RedDeath

Well, it will be 'really good' since they are redoing the film and props etc, not to mention, it won't feature the world's biggest joke anymore :drevil:

What I'm saying is (and maybe I should have phrased this better to begin with.) there is very few new experiences. All these Rehabs are great. But their budgets have been cut here, there and everywhere. Hell, I don't even mind bad rides. I'm not saying I want a new attraction every 6 months. But something exciting on the horizon would make me happy. Everest was exciting when it was happening. Potterland is exciting. A new water park at Seaworld is exciting. Personally I find it hard to get the same excitement from a rehab of the HoP. But alas... I always believe in a light at the end of the tunnel... and I'm hoping it has a 50ft drop at the end of it... or something like that. :D

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
People bash Al because of his blatant "in your face" style of writing. He writes like an editorial commentator, but presents it as facts. I have always enjoyed reading him, as well as listening to the reaction of others.

The fact is that he's right. Disneyland had over a BILLION dollars of enhancements (primarily to DCA) approved last year before the economy went south. WDW projects, many of which would have probably moved forward if management felt more optimistic about 2009, got stalled due to belt tightening.

BOTH resorts are reducing entertainment spending wherever possible. (Fantasmic anyone?)

We all know that WDW has many projects (mostly attraction "re-dos") on the bubble that we hope will move forward. We all know that until Disney announces something it isn't a sure thing.

WDW is also getting major investment dollars in resorts........New Contemporary and AKL DVC wings, new Treehouse Villas, new restaurants. They aren't attractions, but they are MAJOR investments........and money is money.

So Al got this stuff right (as he usually does) but it's difficult to hear. He presents the "DL first" stuff with glee because he loves Disneyland. And as soon as something changes you will see a herd of Al Haters dancing on the boards chanting that "Al never gets anything right" again.

But for right now........For Attractions, Disneyland is getting more attention and dollars than WDW. That could change tomorrow, but it's true today.

I think that sums things up pretty well. Al and JH do present a lot of very interesting and valid inside information, and for that I do check in with their sites regularly. The main issue, as you said is presentation and style...but its best to try to look beyond that so as not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

What we too often forget is that with inside information, what you may present on a given day may be correct, but changes and reversed decisions happen. We shouldn't label the presenters as "wrong" if a "rumor" doesn't come to fruition as we too often do with them.

As to some of the earlier comments on cutbacks that were so badly sidetracked in the Slash and Burn thread, when doing comparisions of WDW to DCA or Universal, we seem to be forgetting something stated in the first post by Aladdin. Universal projects and DCA were started well before this economic train wreck, monies have already been allocated. If anything it would cost more to halt the work (especially at Universal) now. You really can't compare this to putting projects on hold that while approved have not been started. This is happening in most businesses across the country.

Does WDW need some TLC, should it be more progressive and be the frontrunner? Yea, I would love to see more of that. Management attitude? There are a number of folks here that know far better than I, and I wouldn't disagree with what appears to be a fairly consistent assessment of Rasulo.

When we discuss how great DL is now, we seem to forget how terribly it was run down until the beancounter exodus and the long overdue infusion of money and TLC 5-6 years ago leading up to the anniversary. DCA was a certified disaster from day 1 and all agree it needs this major overhaul just to survive.

WDW while I agree is taken for granted as a cash cow, and deserves much better attention is not as run down as DL was and continues to draw (unlike DCA) so yea, it is not getting the attention it deserves.

hauntdmansion79

Let me chime in here and try to make some of us feel a little bit better about our favorite place in the world.

We need to stop and think about all the little things we love about Disney World, remember how they make us feel, and be glad that so many of them are still there. Like the themed music you hear when you walk down Mainstreet USA and how it changes from land to land, the feeling you get when you're in the queue at Splash, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, that feeling when you first walk through the Castle, the sounds of Spectro coming down Mainstreet, the finale of Illuminations or Fantasmic, riding the monorail and rounding the bend where you see Space Mountain and the Castle come into view. These great moments can still be experienced at WDW.

Me and my family are the biggest WDW fans and we will always look forward to our next trip and am positive we will have the best time ever while we are there. I started reading these boards around 2000 and since then, these boards have excited me and made me love WDW even more. But now, I agree, they are depressing. I find myself being dissapointed and sad about he state of WDW. I feel like visiting DL more and more. I know things might be stale at WDW and nothing new is happening right now. But we need to believe in the company and their ability to weather the storm. I remember when Universal first popped up and was a major threat to WDW. Many people thought it would be the end of Disney's Orlando domination. But look at it now. Universal, Seaworld, Wet n' Wild, and Busch Gardens have all banded together just to take on Disney World.

I am at work listening to a WDW soundtrack and just heard the Main Street Electrical Parade and it made me remember what Disney World used to feel like. I don't want that to go away. I'm afraid that these boards do that to me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
AI is strong in reviews despite the false claims of Yee and others, SM is getting a refurb far beyond what the cynics were claiming
SM is being shafted and getting the minimal it can at the current time. It would be even less if influences outside the company hadn`t forced their hand. Less than 12 months ago we could have had an SM that would put DLCs in the shade.

Harsh but fair.

Thiger

what in the world is that? Sorry but it looks WAY too old for me 2 remember...

Its a scene from 'Bedknobs & BroomSticks' - one of my fav Disney films! The soccer/futball/football scene is the best!

If you havent seen the film its wonderful! I think you can actually watch the whole thing via youtube.

On another note, its ok if the boards are negative, but I for one am tired of the bad energy. I understand why the negativity happens, when you love something so much you really want the best for it. It's a spooky time for all of us, and while uncertainty is everywhere, I'd rather see Disney cut back a little in order to survive, than fall from overproduction.

I'm positive something really big is coming though and while we may not hear from it soon, it will get better and hopefully the magic will come back for us all!

WDW1974

SM is being shafted and getting the minimal it can at the current time. It would be even less if influences outside the company hadn`t forced their hand. Less than 12 months ago we could have had an SM that would put DLCs in the shade.

Harsh but fair.

Very, very, very fair.

When I heard of some of the orginal blue sky concepts for SM, I felt almost as excited as a child riding it for the first time way back in ... 1976 (YES, I AM OLD!!!)

Now ... I am cautiously hopeful that it won't suck as much as it could have (like Pirates for example!)

But I am tired of making excuses or hearing others do so for execs who run the gamut from clueless to ordinary as they cut the magic daily.

I am old, I don't want to have to either go to Japan or wait to go into the light to get real high quality E-Ticket experiences!:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom