Not Good News for WDW

WDW1974

The official company line on Imagination 4.0 was 'We often update our attractions to meet the wishes and dreams of our guests. At this time we have nothing to announce on any potential changes to EPCOT's Journey Into Your Imagination attraction.'

That hasn't changed.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
The official company line on Imagination 4.0 was 'We often update our attractions to meet the wishes and dreams of our guests. At this time we have nothing to announce on any potential changes to EPCOT's Journey Into Your Imagination attraction.'

That hasn't changed.
Weird... I've heard first hand something different. Nothing incredibly large like bringing Dreamfinder back, but a nice change to the pavillion as it stands that guests will surely appreciate. :shrug: :wave:

WDW1974

I know nothing is going to happen on Imagination in 2009 and likely longer.

And if they don't do largescale work (not necessarily bringing back DF, although not against it), it's largely throwing away more money. To add to the approximately $70 million that has been spent since destroying the great original attraction.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I know nothing is going to happen on Imagination in 2009 and likely longer.

And if they don't do largescale work (not necessarily bringing back DF, although not against it), it's largely throwing away more money. To add to the approximately $70 million that has been spent since destroying the great original attraction.
Not questioning your reasoning at all about throwing money away. The more chatter I hear, the more I agree with you on certain things. I did hear from more than one place that work/testing was done very recently on the Imagination Pavillion, though. It might even continue! (Gasp!) Not saying it's anything on a grand scale whatsoever, but it's something... Something is better than nothing, right? :shrug:

jt04

Excuse me! Is this the Slash and Burn thread? All these WDW74/Enigma contributions look alike. Kinda like Walmarts :lookaroun

JimboJones123

I don't get the widespread "need" for something new every six months.

DL survived for years with an update every year or two. WDW can do the same. Before you say "4 parks vs. 1 park", most guests don't come more than once a year. So adding more than an attraction a year or so is kinda pointless. I would be happy with an update per park every 3-4 years.

Disneyfanman

People bash Al because of his blatant "in your face" style of writing. He writes like an editorial commentator, but presents it as facts. I have always enjoyed reading him, as well as listening to the reaction of others.

The fact is that he's right. Disneyland had over a BILLION dollars of enhancements (primarily to DCA) approved last year before the economy went south. WDW projects, many of which would have probably moved forward if management felt more optimistic about 2009, got stalled due to belt tightening.

BOTH resorts are reducing entertainment spending wherever possible. (Fantasmic anyone?)

We all know that WDW has many projects (mostly attraction "re-dos") on the bubble that we hope will move forward. We all know that until Disney announces something it isn't a sure thing.

WDW is also getting major investment dollars in resorts........New Contemporary and AKL DVC wings, new Treehouse Villas, new restaurants. They aren't attractions, but they are MAJOR investments........and money is money.

So Al got this stuff right (as he usually does) but it's difficult to hear. He presents the "DL first" stuff with glee because he loves Disneyland. And as soon as something changes you will see a herd of Al Haters dancing on the boards chanting that "Al never gets anything right" again.

But for right now........For Attractions, Disneyland is getting more attention and dollars than WDW. That could change tomorrow, but it's true today.

mcjaco

And why shouldn't DCA projects get green lighted, even in this economy?

That park was a mess, and needed a new direction. It has to be changed. WDW, does not. At least not now.

Is WDW getting stale? Heck yeah. But DCA should be, and is, their first priority.

MousDad

And why shouldn't DCA projects get green lighted, even in this economy?

That park was a mess, and needed a new direction. It has to be changed. WDW, does not. At least not now.

Is WDW getting stale? Heck yeah. But DCA should be, and is, their first priority.

Plus don't forget they already publicly hooplahed all those new attractions, have a preview center, etc.

WeLComeHomE OKW

I have to agree with Enigma on this one.

I used to love coming to these boards every day, just to talk about new rumors and news. Don't get me wrong, I love all the aspects of this website and that is because I love Disney World.

HOWEVER, no one seems to be excited anymore. It has become clear that Disney as a company has nearly forgotten about Disney World, and right now, as long as John Lasseter and company help centralize imagineering and their creative and financial focus, Disney World will keep getting the shorter end of the stick.

I will keep going to Disney World, but, it is terribly disappointing to think that in the end, this place is not a place of magic, but a place where dollars can be made and saved. Its a sad idea.

I always pictured Disney World as a magical destination, where the limits of your imagination is where Disney World began.

But, now, as time passes and technology changes, and things advance, Disney doesn't jump on the bandwagon, they just count on making money from the past executives who HAD to jump on that dangerous "innovative" bandwagon. Companies, or products that don't adjust to the current times and/or "realized" future always fall behind, and eventually become more irrelevant than inspiring. Universal has nothing to lose, they are pulling out all the stops and Disney will sit there comfortable on their money, taking care of Disneyland, while Disney World's old rides start to break down, the magic in the CM's smiles start to fade, and a place that once seemed timeless start to become a permanent part of an era worth forgetting.

I hope I am wrong. I hope this really is because of a "economic crisis", and within 2 years, I will be swallowing my words. But, I have not seen anything with a grand vision in years. Things are getting copyed/pasted around the world, franchises that make tons of money are getting cheap attractions or shows to garner temporary interest. All of this "improvement" takes no imagination, nor innovation, just procrastination and comfort/contentment.

Bob Iger was very smart to help Disney get acquainted with the 21st century. He introduced the world to watching television shows online for free. He was the first to go to iTunes. He has been making sure things move into the future.

But, what about Disney World? even Disney land? The Disney Parks? Why do they seem to be so absent from this future-minded equation? Are we going to be stuck with 60's style monorails and people movers for the rest of our lives? It seems to me that Disney sees Disney World as Richard Daley sees Chicago. They just hold opportunities for land development. Hotels, condos... whatever it takes to squeeze out what little revenue is left from the area. Rides dont make money. Property does, and thus, we lose out on new magic.

Retro merchandise can only take us so far...

CBOMB

I have to agree with Enigma on this one.

I used to love coming to these boards every day, just to talk about new rumors and news. Don't get me wrong, I love all the aspects of this website and that is because I love Disney World.

HOWEVER, no one seems to be excited anymore. It has become clear that Disney as a company has nearly forgotten about Disney World, and right now, as long as John Lasseter and company help centralize imagineering and their creative and financial focus, Disney World will keep getting the shorter end of the stick.

I will keep going to Disney World, but, it is terribly disappointing to think that in the end, this place is not a place of magic, but a place where dollars can be made and saved. Its a sad idea.

I always pictured Disney World as a magical destination, where the limits of your imagination is where Disney World began.

But, now, as time passes and technology changes, and things advance, Disney doesn't jump on the bandwagon, they just count on making money from the past executives who HAD to jump on that dangerous "innovative" bandwagon. Companies, or products that don't adjust to the current times and/or "realized" future always fall behind, and eventually become more irrelevant than inspiring. Universal has nothing to lose, they are pulling out all the stops and Disney will sit there comfortable on their money, taking care of Disneyland, while Disney World's old rides start to break down, the magic in the CM's smiles start to fade, and a place that once seemed timeless start to become a permanent part of an era worth forgetting.

I hope I am wrong. I hope this really is because of a "economic crisis", and within 2 years, I will be swallowing my words. But, I have not seen anything with a grand vision in years. Things are getting copyed/pasted around the world, franchises that make tons of money are getting cheap attractions or shows to garner temporary interest. All of this "improvement" takes no imagination, nor innovation, just procrastination and comfort/contentment.

Bob Iger was very smart to help Disney get acquainted with the 21st century. He introduced the world to watching television shows online for free. He was the first to go to iTunes. He has been making sure things move into the future.

But, what about Disney World? even Disney land? The Disney Parks? Why do they seem to be so absent from this future-minded equation? Are we going to be stuck with 60's style monorails and people movers for the rest of our lives? It seems to me that Disney sees Disney World as Richard Daley sees Chicago. They just hold opportunities for land development. Hotels, condos... whatever it takes to squeeze out what little revenue is left from the area. Rides dont make money. Property does, and thus, we lose out on new magic.

Retro merchandise can only take us so far...
Excellent post!

Brian_B

Nope because Imagination is still not happening, nothing new or significant will be coming to WDW within the next 4 years.

But there are still great new rides coming such as that TRANSFORMERS E-TICKET being added to Universal Hollywood and Singapore and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the hopefully incredible Little Mermaid attraction and Carsland area going into DCA!

But for WDW? nothing because management is too incompetent and when guests take there money elsewhere (even to other disney parks instead!) WDW can give all the discounts it wants but it will still be a stale world after all. While, we can see concept art, construction, and press releases of these grand new attractions being built all over the country WDW has nothing to show for it except for rumors :mad:

Wrong. You have just committed the informal fallacy of logic referred to as "ambiguity" (http://www.fallacyfiles.org/ambiguit.html). The entirety of this thread prior to your post (above) referred solely to new Walt Disney World rides. There was absolutely nothing in your message:

Don't believe the negativity. Great new rides are coming!

to indicate that your usage of the term "new rides" referred to anything other than the precedent set by the original poster, which in fact was the topic of new rides at Walt Disney World.

Therefore, you either engaged in obvious revisionism by changing the intent of your post once Adam pointed out your glaring contradictions, or you were deliberately misleading, and your subsequent arguement tinged with textbook logical fallacy.

In either case, you FAIL.

edit: clarified my post by re-stating that it was in fact new WDW rides that were clearly the precedent set by the OP.

RedDeath

:-(

You know what, I used to like visiting these boards to read news, rumors and gossip. But now it's just depressing. I don't speak much in these conversations. I just spectate. But these past couple of months have depressed me. All I hear is doom and gloom. And sometimes even Armageddon. :(

Really, if the current posts keep going this direction I'm gonna stop coming here. Cause it's just depressing me and making me feel like I don't love Disney or want to go to WDW anymore. And I don't want to hate Disney. You may say that you all only speak the truth and tell what is happening whether you like it or not... but ignorance is bliss...

nibblesandbits

You know what, I used to like visiting these boards to read news, rumors and gossip. But now it's just depressing. I don't speak much in these conversations. I just spectate. But these past couple of months have depressed me. All I hear is doom and gloom. And sometimes even Armageddon. :(

Really, if the current posts keep going this direction I'm gonna stop coming here. Cause it's just depressing me and making me feel like I don't love Disney or want to go to WDW anymore. And I don't want to hate Disney. You may say that you all only speak the truth and tell what is happening whether you like it or not... but ignorance is bliss...

Trust me...I feel you...I really, really do.

I think that part of the reason that it's so depressing around here is really the fact that there is nothing going on in the way of News, Rumors, and Gossip. And the things that are coming out about these three things doesn't look good...it's more about cuts and slashes that have been made by the company than any thing else. (Much as I wish it were the other way around...trust me.)

I do think that while the postings around here are bleak, this is really the first time in quite a few years that things were bleak with the company as well. And while I don't frequent many other sites besides this one, I bet you a lot of the other ones are having this same kind of doom and gloom kind of attitude, since things aren't seeming to be so happy coming out of Disney's mouths. So, it's hard to be cheery about stuff, when there's very little to be cheery about. As I mentioned, I would much rather be hearing about all the cool new stuff going on...but unfortunately, we aren't getting it...which is very depressing.

Hopefully, if we ride out the storm all together, maybe, just maybe, things will be rolling again in the future. I can dream, can't I?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom