Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlins1

I always loved Epcot but it was never as successful as planned. It was built huge with corporate and international sponsors because it was expected to be a must see for people from all over the world - bigger than MK or DL. It was and is successful but not on the level Disney expected. Now they have to figure out what to do with it. They need to make it into a park that is open past 9:00.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
that picture is too Hi-def, at least in my opinon
High quality film cameras rival (and for a long time surpassed) digital cameras.

A lot of the pictures you think of as "old" were taken with consumer grade models, largely by amateur photographers (at best...sometimes just by people who barely knew how to use their cameras at all).

But, think about coffee table books, magazines, list goes on...those pictures, all taken with a film camera.

MagicHappens1971

Imagineering-Disney_EPCOT-Center-Construction-33.jpg
dang im sorry

MerlinTheGoat

I always loved Epcot but it was never as successful as planned. It was built huge with corporate and international sponsors because it was expected to be a must see for people from all over the world - bigger than MK or DL. It was and is successful but not on the level Disney expected. Now they have to figure out what to do with it. They need to make it into a park that is open past 9:00.
Untrue. It was enormously successful when it opened, and retained an extremely high level of success and attendance throughout the entirety of the 80's and even early-mid 90's. This was well before the Food and Booze events were conceived as well that are now responsible for driving attendance instead of actual substance. People like @marni1971 have mentioned on numerous occasions that EPCOT was a huge and immensely successful project before poor decisions lead the park down a different path. EPCOT's huge success and profitability was an immense boon to the Disney company during the years when their film studios were going through a somewhat rough time.

Here's a video from 1989 showing a truly packed EPCOT Center in its glory days, still ridiculously successful even years after it originally opened (and this was taken shortly after MGM Studios had opened the same year).

Literally every open ride there demonstrates long lines spilling over out the door, and this was long before they began to close the classics like Imagination, Horizons and World of Motion. It's even more impressive considering how many of those rides were so ridiculously efficient and high capacity people eaters.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Untrue. It was enormously successful when it opened, and retained an extremely high level of success and attendance throughout the entirety of the 80's and even early-mid 90's. This was well before the Food and Booze events were conceived as well that are now responsible for driving attendance instead of actual substance. People like @marni1971 have mentioned on numerous occasions that EPCOT was a huge and immensely successful project before poor decisions lead the park down a different path. EPCOT's huge success and profitability was an immense boon to the Disney company during the years when their film studios were going through a somewhat rough time.

Here's a video from 1989 showing a truly packed EPCOT Center in its glory days, still ridiculously successful even years after it originally opened (and this was taken shortly after MGM Studios had opened the same year).

Literally every open ride there demonstrates long lines spilling over out the door, and this was long before they began to close the classics like Imagination, Horizons and World of Motion. It's even more impressive considering how many of those rides were so ridiculously efficient and high capacity people eaters.

I remember those days! Depending on when it was taken (time of year), a much younger me is probably out in one of those lines myself!

MerlinTheGoat

I remember those days! Depending on when it was taken (time of year), a much younger me is probably out in one of those lines myself!
Late summer probably, Wonders of Life is almost complete but still under what appears to be some finishing touches outside (assuming the inside is mostly done at this point). WoL I think opened in October, so I would guess this was taped in the couple of months leading up to its opening (perhaps August or September). There was another topic where this video was posted a while back in WDW General Discussion, it slams down the final nail in the coffin regarding claims that EPCOT used to be unpopular or was a flop for Disney. And the fact that the absurdly efficient and high capacity rides Horizons, Imagination and World of Motion have such long lines is even more telling how popular the park was. With no Fastpass or FP+ to artificially alter the lines either, and no Drunkytown to sucker people in. Just pure quality and popular rides driving that sort of crowd.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Late summer probably, Wonders of Life is almost complete but still under what appears to be some finishing touches outside (assuming the inside is mostly done at this point). WoL I think opened in October, so I would guess this was taped in the couple of months leading up to its opening (perhaps August or September). There was another topic where this video was posted a while back in WDW General Discussion, it slams down the final nail in the coffin regarding claims that EPCOT used to be unpopular or was a flop for Disney.
Yeap, I was probably out there somewhere then. I stayed there (Florida) from early June until late August every year, and had a Floridian Annual Pass. My Granddad worked in Orlando and would drop me off at the parks with a few bucks for lunch.

They were my babysitter. :p

And...I spent...a lot...of time...at EPCOT.

MerlinTheGoat

I actually wish I was born somewhat earlier in time so I would have had more time with the park in its original form. I only started visiting in the early 90's as a very small child (and yeah I loved the park even at such a young age). I only had a few years to enjoy it though before things started downhill, mom adored the park though and kept us constant annual passholders to revisit extremely often during that period. We went frequently for multiple times a year up through 1997, Horizons was probably her favorite ride. Even in the mid 90's we were aware of a changing tide when Horizons lost its sponsor and only operated seasonally for a time and with the closure of World of Motion. I'm very glad I was at least able to catch the tail end of Disney World's glory years before quality dropped off like a rock.

We didn't return until 2010, and what a mess we returned to. I knew Horizons and WoM were gone, but I somehow missed the memo that Imagination had been...altered. It took literally ALL of my self control not to spew a powerful slew of horrifying obscenities upon my disembarking of the ride. I hear that's precisely what Eisner did after he road the second version as well.

Skippy

Thank you for that video.
I can't think of a useful comment that does not devolve into profanities and exasperation due to the treatment of the park today.
So I will just say thank you for pointing out to us younger folk that EPCOT was not really the begotten step child many were led to believe it was.

Mouse3268

I actually wish I was born somewhat earlier in time so I would have had more time with the park in its original form. I only started visiting in the early 90's as a very small child (and yeah I loved the park even at such a young age). I only had a few years to enjoy it though before things started downhill, mom adored the park though and kept us constant annual passholders to revisit extremely often during that period. We went frequently for multiple times a year up through 1997, Horizons was probably her favorite ride. Even in the mid 90's we were aware of a changing tide when Horizons lost its sponsor and only operated seasonally for a time and with the closure of World of Motion. I'm very glad I was at least able to catch the tail end of Disney World's glory years before quality dropped off like a rock.

We didn't return until 2010, and what a mess we returned to. I knew Horizons and WoM were gone, but I somehow missed the memo that Imagination had been...altered. It took literally ALL of my self control not to spew a powerful slew of horrifying obscenities upon my disembarking of the ride. I hear that's precisely what Eisner did after he road the second version as well.

Yup, Eisner hated the 2nd version so much that he immediately demanded the 3rd version we have today.

NiarrNDisney

Just walked past this today and it truly looks like a construction zone. It's like a huge shovel came along and scooped out everything in between Mexico and Norway. When we were here in March there was foliage behind the walls. Well, that is completely gone now.

I feel for all of you Epcot purists out there.
Any pictures?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I always loved Epcot but it was never as successful as planned..

Really?

That's why the parking lot was expanded in 1983?

Why the park was continually expanded for a decade? Despite being more than a full day park from day one?

Why during peak seasons the huge capacity attractions had lines, even with more attractions and capacity than today?

Why hours were continually extended to an 11pm closing?

Why World Showcase opened at 9am?

Last edited:

Flippin'Flounder

You guys are making me sad, my first trip to Disney was in 2004, and we never did WoL, Food Rocks, or The Living Seas. It's so sad

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You guys are making me sad, my first trip to Disney was in 2004, and we never did WoL, Food Rocks, or The Living Seas. It's so sad

I had a long gap between visits. When I first went to Epcot Living Seas wasn't open yet and Wonders of Life will still way off. The next time I went Wonders of Life had closed already and living seas had received the Nemo overlay. At least I go to see Horizons!

ryguy

So sad the state of EPCOT, I love world showcase but nothing new for so long, and don't get me started on future world. I know Walt is rolling in his grave over the lack of vision in this park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom