Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Kelly

Sadly the days of people eating attractions have been over for years starting with the demise of Horizons and WoM. Epcot still has quality, just in WS now. But they really need to add another people eater or two to WS.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Here is my photo documentation contribution to the Norway/Frozen construction.

image4.JPG

Slowjack

You guys are making me sad, my first trip to Disney was in 2004, and we never did WoL, Food Rocks, or The Living Seas. It's so sad
Well, you missed something special, to be sure--and Kitchen Kabaret was even better than Food Rocks. I try to console myself by saying that while EPCOT Center was meant as a permanent World's Fair, it was instead a temporary one, like all the others: the best and last World's Fair. Or as I like to think of it, the theme park where the theme was "optimism." That's not to say that today's Epcot is without merit. It's still worth a visit. But we will probably never see the like of the original EPCOT Center again.

raymusiccity

When I was there this past Sunday. The new band was playing up against the Mexican restaurant that is at the waters edge. They had a covered patio type area they were playing under. Not sure if they wander around or if this is their permanent location like the band in Morocco.

Here's the Mexico entertainment pic:

View attachment 91052
Looks like they're trying their best to get out of the sun. I don't see any attempt to give them a dignified space to perform.

pumpkin7

You guys are making me sad, my first trip to Disney was in 2004, and we never did WoL, Food Rocks, or The Living Seas. It's so sad

How about I went in 1997, 2000 and 2003; never went to River Country, I remember seeing Body Wars but I remember nothing else from the WoL pavillion, meaning we probably only did Body Wars and I never went on Horizons. ARGH really. Granted I was only 8, 11 and 14 during those visits so it was up to my rents where we went but man, I missed out.
Never did the Hall of Presidents either until our last trip and I still have Winnie the Pooh to ride.

Marlins1

Really?

That's why the parking lot was expanded in 1983?

Why the park was continually expanded for a decade? Despite being more than a full day park from day one?

Why during peak seasons the huge capacity attractions had lines, even with more attractions and capacity than today?

Why hours were continually extended to an 11pm closing?

Why World Showcase opened at 9am?
I apologize for not putting an IMO on my post - it was just my theory on why the direction changed. I was awed by the original EPCOT but it seemed like most people I spoke with just talked about "drinking around the world" and not the edutainment. I know plenty of people went but the park is massive - did they do larger numbers than MK on a consistent basis? Seems like it was built with the intent to be the biggest theme park draw ever.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I apologize for not putting an IMO on my post - it was just my theory on why the direction changed. I was awed by the original EPCOT but it seemed like most people I spoke with just talked about "drinking around the world" and not the edutainment. I know plenty of people went but the park is massive - did they do larger numbers than MK on a consistent basis? Seems like it was built with the intent to be the biggest theme park draw ever.
No worries :)

EPCOT Center was a huge park. Very spacious, and like nothing that had come before it. The large open areas and lavish landscaping alone were amazing for the 80s. But this was the plan. A calming, open and almost parkland setting. The plan was deliberately not to have buildings built up against each other. And with enough walking and "neutral" areas between each to allow guests to digest what they had just seen before moving onto the next epic attraction.

The walkways were deliberately wide and uncluttered to avoid any crushing as seen in the castle parks, confusion about directions, and to promote a calm and unrushed visit.

Also remember it was two parks melded into one, both with as much space as planned when they were separate entities.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's also worth noting that by 1990, the main Futureworld attractions alone could hold more than 23,000 guests per hour. Twenty three thousand.

That's not including guests waiting in line. Or eating. Or shopping. Or walking around. Or browsing the exhibits of Communicore, Transcenter or Imageworks.

And that's not even including the other half of the park.

Marlins1

No worries :)

EPCOT Center was a huge park. Very spacious, and like nothing that had come before it. The large open areas and lavish landscaping alone were amazing for the 80s. But this was the plan. A calming, open and almost parkland setting. The plan was deliberately not to have buildings built up against each other. And with enough walking and "neutral" areas between each to allow guests to digest what they had just seen before moving onto the next epic attraction.

The walkways were deliberately wide and uncluttered to avoid any crushing as seen in the castle parks, confusion about directions, and to promote a calm and unrushed visit.

Also remember it was two parks melded into one, both with as much space as planned when they were separate entities.
And it worked - I've always liked the feeling of walking through large open areas in EPCOT. Most relaxing park by far.

Tom

Beta Return
It's also worth noting that by 1990, the main Futureworld attractions alone could hold more than 23,000 guests per hour. Twenty three thousand.

That's not including guests waiting in line. Or eating. Or shopping. Or walking around. Or browsing the exhibits of Communicore, Transcenter or Imageworks.

And that's not even including the other half of the park.

Wow....that's depressing to think about now.

Flippin'Flounder

How about I went in 1997, 2000 and 2003; never went to River Country, I remember seeing Body Wars but I remember nothing else from the WoL pavillion, meaning we probably only did Body Wars and I never went on Horizons. ARGH really. Granted I was only 8, 11 and 14 during those visits so it was up to my rents where we went but man, I missed out.
Never did the Hall of Presidents either until our last trip and I still have Winnie the Pooh to ride.
But I had an AP until 2007, we were there at least once a month for 3 years.

djkidkaz

It's never going to be the way it was. Back in the early years Walt Disney World was still the big deal project for the Disney company. Epcot Center was new and they had all these plans and ideas for all this land that they had. Now we're at a point where WDW is built out pretty good and their isn't much focus on it from the company unless there is some financial gain that can be had. I think it's so telling that Bob Iger didn't even know if Hollywood Studios' name change had been announced.

Mouse_Trap

So we can be almost certain the ride system isn't being changed in any substantial manner which means it's going to struck with a low throughput (is 900 per hour right? Or have I got that wrong?)

What is the likelihood that when this opens it will be FP+ reservations only thus negating overwhelming lines and saving them from having to use space for those long lines?

It's not something I've heard mentioned anywhere, but now with FP+ its possible. Would they do this?

DocAlan02

I worked at The Living Seas and The Wonders of Life back in 1991/1992. Later worked at the Garden Grill in 1994. I loved EPCOT Center for sure. I still love it, although I would absolutely like to see it spruced up a bit. I am usually not as critical as others here about WDW, as I enjoy myself every time we go, but Epcot as it stands now could certainly use some attention. I miss WoL...I always enjoyed that pavilion and I hate to see it sit empty.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So we can be almost certain the ride system isn't being changed in any substantial manner which means it's going to struck with a low throughput (is 900 per hour right? Or have I got that wrong?)

What is the likelihood that when this opens it will be FP+ reservations only thus negating overwhelming lines and saving them from having to use space for those long lines?

It's not something I've heard mentioned anywhere, but now with FP+ its possible. Would they do this?

They might be able to squeeze a little extra capacity out of it, but I double we will see an appreciable increase.

MerlinTheGoat

Considering that they're unlikely to change the ride layout, this ride is going to be a big pain line-wise. Maelstrom already got respectably lengthy lines in spite of not being based on a princess franchise.

And now those attractions in Future World have minimized capacity to what, 10k an hour?
Perhaps lower considering something like half of those rides are gone and replaced with ones with less capacity and less efficient loading. Of the main high capacity rides at Future World, Spaceship Earth remains mostly intact at least. And Universe of Energy to a certain extent (which I assume to have fairly high capacity at least). Not sure if Living with the Land is included as a "main" ride there in Martin's words, but it does seem to keep lines down despite a constant stream of people boarding it. World of Motion and Horizons are gone, and i'd say Imagination is only still around in name alone considering the drastic changes to the track and how the ride system moves.

World of Motion was replaced with Test Track, which is unquestionably lower capacity and a less efficient loader than WoM. Horizons was replaced with a likely even lower capacity inefficient loading simulator. Imagination got a decent chunk of its track cut out and made considerably shorter (with very obviously fewer cars on the track at one time). And while it was a later pavilion without an actual ride, Wonders of Life drew plenty of people inside and is also no more.

You also have to consider that Mission Space generally gets pretty low wait times considering that it's a similar, it doesn't seem to be dramatically popular among guests. And the vast majority smartly avoid Imagination like the plague it is. I've also noticed a substantial number of people (including families with children) avoiding the Nemo ride entirely and entering the pavilion through the exit instead of even riding.

The one ride that i'm unsure about is Soarin. It replaced Kitchen Kabaret and i'm unsure of its capacity. It has two theaters and seems to load every 5 minutes or so, so it may or may not have added some capacity to this pavilion. I'm not certain. But it's definitely far less efficient compared to the classic people eaters of the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom