Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin: Is there any space to "round off" the direction changing areas to allow for forward motion the entire time?
Depends on the ride system.... For a boat the size of Maelstrom, no.

For something as small as a Pooh or Toad car yes. But I don't see a busbar system going down the hill. Backwards or forwards!

Reactions: Tom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm curious do you happen to know what we are looking at during the construction of Malestrom that was on the Disney Parks Blog awhile ago? Is that queue area below and the theater to the left?
nor338956LARGE.jpg
I do.

The camera is across from the oil rig. The area bottom left is the sea, the flume trench, and then the edge of the show scene (diagonal line from bottom right upto Middle of pic). The oil rigs legs would be centre bottom.

The lower right dark area is the movie waiting area village.

The curve flume coming in centre left is the return from the Maintainence spur.

Unload is centre right with the flume curving up and left back to load.

The guys stood middle left are partway down the reverse flume.

doctornick

For something as small as a Pooh or Toad car yes. But I don't see a busbar system going down the hill. Backwards or forwards!

I was assuming it remains a boat ride (maybe with smaller boats?), but that the water channels are rounded off to keep the boats forward the entire time. Given the size of the troll scene where you initially go backwards, I think it's plausible there. But the shift back at the waterfall seems too tight to allow it unless they can borrow space from the outside the ride itself. It just seems like it will be tough to do a good ride with a significant chunk of it being backwards.

The blog idea also suggests adding to the path in the area of the old queue. The size of the space makes that possible, I just don't know if there is a will ($$$) to do that. Would certainly allow for some more ride time and potentially more developed storyline.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was assuming it remains a boat ride (maybe with smaller boats?), but that the water channels are rounded off to keep the boats forward the entire time. Given the size of the troll scene where you initially go backwards, I think it's plausible there. But the shift back at the waterfall seems too tight to allow it unless they can borrow space from the outside the ride itself. It just seems like it will be tough to do a good ride with a significant chunk of it being backwards.

The blog idea also suggests adding to the path in the area of the old queue. The size of the space makes that possible, I just don't know if there is a will ($$$) to do that. Would certainly allow for some more ride time and potentially more developed storyline.

Making the boats smaller probably wouldn't allow much smaller spacing between the boats, so you would end up with lower capacity which I doubt they would do.

Magenta Panther

I think a little dark ride with cut-outs and animated figures is far easier to install than a would-be E-ticket boat ride with bona fide Audio-Animatronics figures.

I didn't realize Pooh had a different track layout than Mr. Toad. Disney nowadays would never do that. Pooh would be forced to follow the same track as Toad with plastic hunny applied to the Mr. Toad ride vehicles! We'd also find Pooh going to hell at the end of the ride due to budget cuts.

Hell with Huffalumps in it. :p

Magenta Panther

I do.

The camera is across from the oil rig. The area bottom left is the sea, the flume trench, and then the edge of the show scene (diagonal line from bottom right upto Middle of pic). The oil rigs legs would be centre bottom.

The lower right dark area is the movie waiting area village.

The curve flume coming in centre left is the return from the Maintainence spur.

Unload is centre right with the flume curving up and left back to load.

The guys stood middle left are partway down the reverse flume.

I admire you guys who can look at a mess like that and make sense of it. I can barely read a map. :D

IWant2GoNow

Yeah, probably, since loading two boats simultaneously and dispatching them as a group tends to get more people into the ride in shorter intervals.

If they wanted to add length to the ride itself, they could use the old load platform as unload/load.

I, personally, would want a longer ride experience. I've always felt cheated on Maelstrom.

I'm hoping for a setup kinda like LwtL at the old unload spot. I'm all for more show scenes. Especially since they took away the old Maelstrom they should at least lengthen the ride as much as possible. RIP

tribbleorlfl

You said the "b word!" My dad just retired this past Friday after 25 years in the Coast Guard, 20 years at Disney and 5 at Universal. With how many of those things he replaced over the years, bus bar is a 4 letter word to him. They were particularly troublesome on Horizons due to their location.

Anyways, since he spent a fair amount of time on the Maelstrom maintenance team, I asked him his thoughts about changing the ride system. He seemed to think it would be fairly easy to mount a track in the existing flumes and route in the necessary voltage, though he had similar concerns about the lift and drop hills. He thought there would need to be some kind of chain lift safety mechanism to keep the vehicle from slipping backwards.

doctornick

You said the "b word!" My dad just retired this past Friday after 25 years in the Coast Guard, 20 years at Disney and 5 at Universal. With how many of those things he replaced over the years, bus bar is a 4 letter word to him. They were particularly troublesome on Horizons due to their location.

Anyways, since he spent a fair amount of time on the Maelstrom maintenance team, I asked him his thoughts about changing the ride system. He seemed to think it would be fairly easy to mount a track in the existing flumes and route in the necessary voltage, though he had similar concerns about the lift and drop hills. He thought there would need to be some kind of chain lift safety mechanism to keep the vehicle from slipping backwards.

Perhaps a silly question, but could an Omnimover system be used? They work on different elevations and smaller vehicles would work better with the space for the change in directions. Would also help with capacity, I would think.

I'm not predicting it by any means, but would that even be an option? Would be nice to have vehicles themed to a sleigh rather than a boat given the source material.

Monorail_Red_77

So, during my trip to EPCOT this past Sunday, I was able to get some updated pics for the Norway Pavilion area. Specifically, the new meet n greet area that is behind walls. I couldn't get up close enough to see over the walls this time. However, there is a big difference in that all trees are now gone from the area.

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

Will try to get a little more up close and personal next visit in mid-May.

Monorail_Red_77

Perhaps a silly question, but could an Omnimover system be used? They work on different elevations and smaller vehicles would work better with the space for the change in directions. Would also help with capacity, I would think.

I'm not predicting it by any means, but would that even be an option? Would be nice to have vehicles themed to a sleigh rather than a boat given the source material.

Yeah, but maybe with the boat theme, they could tie in that Olaf was trapped by Disney security and could not afford a return flight home. So since he wanted a warm summer, he melted and now he is stuck being paid minimum wage carrying around guests in boats. Maybe they could throw in a few mermaid type projections of an olaf body or face in the water too. But it would have to not work about 50% of the time, that way guests would think they are getting some new and special effects.

Sorry, pixie dust wore off already. I need another dose. :arghh:

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What's struck me looking at some paperwork is how little of the expansion pad is being used for this. Call it a waste, call it too small - but really the building takes up less than half the pad.

Add to this the actual guest space inside it is just half of the already small building, and it beggars belief they thought it was a good idea for anything but as a knee jerk reaction to get park attandence up.

Skippy

What's struck me looking at some paperwork is how little of the expansion pad is being used for this. Call it a waste, call it too small - but really the building takes up less than half the pad.

Add to this the actual guest space inside it is just half of the already small building, and it beggars belief they thought it was a good idea for anything but as a knee jerk reaction to get park attandence up.
So you're saying they have space to expand Mexico if Pixar's Dia de los Muertos film does well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom