Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfx

Right now the biggest hurdle is getting from the airport to the Tokyo Bay Hilton at 11pm when the busses have stopped running. Taxi = ouch. Train = confused.

LOL although I've never heard your voice I am just picturing you standing alone with your luggage at the train station asking, in a very proper English accent, "Pardon me, but is this where I board the rail to Disneyland?"

It made me chuckle. :)

Mike S

Considering a week at WDW can cost you 4-5K without trying very hard, flying to the other side of the world - that's pretty surprisingly affordable, LOL.
Well, for me, WDW doesn't come anywhere close to that even when I do have long stays. So the trip to Tokyo is significantly more by several times. Heck, I don't think I hit 4k even when I had a week in California and Vegas.

AEfx

Well, for me, WDW doesn't come anywhere close to that. So the trip to Tokyo is significantly more by several times. Heck, I don't think I hit 4k even when I had a week in California and Vegas.

I know, I used to be like you (AP, drive there, etc.) you just gotta remember - we are the weird ones, LOL. Most people have to fly, stay on-site, pay admission for every member of their party (if you've got 5 people there is $2K right there just on park admission).

Mike S

I know, I used to be like you (AP, drive there, etc.) you just gotta remember - we are the weird ones, LOL. Most people have to fly, stay on-site, pay admission for every member of their party (if you've got 5 people there is $2K right there just on park admission).
I foresee a significant decrease in Orlando trips when I have a family. Oh well, everyone has to make sacrifices.....

gmajew

I spent 780 dollars for my family of 4 to do one day at both universal parks this past year. Vacations are expensive especially when you don't take advantage of the multiple day discounts. Sucks! But kids are expensive.

BrerJon

The top part past the bridge looks to be all Frozen though.
View attachment 97090

I'm pretty sure they're doing the Wizarding World thing of making a movie accurate complete world that is so well themed and full of detail that even if you don't know the movie, you'll still be impressed by it, as with Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade.

I expect it to have a World Showcase feel - technically from a film, but like Arabian Coast, will be totally understandable as a northern European town to those unfamiliar with Olaf and pals - Frozen fans will just get more out of it. I bet whatever name they come up with for it is more generic than simply 'Arrendelle', 'Northern Village Port' or something.

BrerJon

7K? Don't know what I thought when @marni1971 said "surprisingly affordable." Guess I should've thought more realistically, lol.

Don't worry Mike, like with any travel, if you're prepared to make a few compromises (such as getting up early to commute to the parks from the city) anything is possible on a budget.

I've done Tokyo several times as a budget backpacker; here's my suggestion for someone wanting to see DisneySea's Frozen from Florida on a budget:

MCO-LAX return flight: $400
LAX-Tokyo return flight: $900
Airport transfers: $20
9 nights (giving 3 1/2 days Disney, 3 1/2 days Tokyo city) in an English speaking hostel for western backpackers: $30 a night, so $315 total on accommodation
Food, snacks and souvenirs: Approx $400
Disney tickets (4-day pass): $170
Subway tickets: $45

Total cost for a solo budget traveller from Orlando to visit Tokyo for an extended week: $2250.

Given what a week in LA would cost, it's really just the $900 extra for the flight that makes the difference between going to Tokyo or Anaheim, which is a lot of cash for many people but I don't think you'll meet anyone who has been who regrets paying it.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Right now the biggest hurdle is getting from the airport to the Tokyo Bay Hilton at 11pm when the busses have stopped running. Taxi = ouch. Train = confused.

I'd probably advise staying the first night at a cheaper hotel by the airport (there's even a super cheap capsule hotel in the terminal) and just use it to crash out, then the next morning travel to Tokyo Bay when regular transport is up and running - you'll still have the afternoon and evening in the parks.

Another alternative is one of the town car services that run 24/7 - this one looks good, offers direct service from the airport to TDR:
http://www.naritaairporter.com

AEfx

OK, just for fun tonight I went to Disney's very info-graphic-y web page about this. No wonder you are confused LOL.

I realized it is train as in subway, not train choo-choo, LOL. We tend to think of the latter as more direct in the states, at least.

It looks like there are some pretty great Tokyo subway maps out there (I love maps, had to look). That's one of the most complex I've ever seen. It looks like there are several different options - I found some English maps, I'm sure someone out there has a recommended route from which ever way you are coming in. I'd say that's probably your best bet. Shame those direct buses only seem to go in the mornings.

BrerJon

It looks like there are some pretty great Tokyo subway maps out there (I love maps, had to look). That's one of the most complex I've ever seen. It looks like there are several different options - I found some English maps, I'm sure someone out there has a recommended route from which ever way you are coming in. I'd say that's probably your best bet. Shame those direct buses only seem to go in the mornings.

The Narita Express train is the easiest route from the airport, and costs about $25, and will go to whichever the most appropriate major train station is in the city (usually Tokyo or Shinjuku). From there you can transfer to the subway. From anywhere in the city getting to Disney is easy and via the same route - take the subway to Tokyo station, then the Keiyo line to Maihama. The train line goes as close to the park as the monorail does at Magic Kingdom, so you can't miss it!

One year I was staying right in the middle of the city, miles away from Disney, but still managed to get up early, take the train, and be at DisneySea an hour before park opening, so for the budget conscious it's not the end of the world if you can't stay close by.

Trains and subways shut late at night (hence Tokyo Disney always closing promptly) so a late arrival will need a shared ride or town car, but there are always lots of people at the airport offering rides and assistance, and you will be on a flight with many other people, all of whom want to go to the same place, so it's not hard to pool resources and share ride fares to get into the city.

One thing I think lots of foreigners don't realise is how - despite language and culture issues - the politeness, friendliness and lack of any crime makes a tourist feel far safer and more relaxed than in many American cities, and you can soon find your way around, even if it can be initially confusing.

Finally don't worry about the long flight time - chances are the lines for the Epcot version will be even longer than the flight!

TP2000

Have you thought of spending the first night at the Narita Hilton, and them heading to Tokyo Disneyland via LimoBus or train in the morning? I've done that and was amazed at how much cheaper the Narita Hilton is compared to Hiltons in Tokyo proper.

Plus, checking in to the Tokyo Bay Hilton at the Tokyo Disney Welcome Center is a hilarious experience in itself. They check your luggage thru to your room and you head into the park from there, all with that super gracious Japanese hospitality and service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom