Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You gotta think, what idiot came up with the idea to make a ride about such a popular movie in a place that cannot handle crowds well, I can't wait to see their solutions to this...
See, now it all makes sense. This is why they had to get rid of paper fastpasses...otherwise the World Showcase would be mobbed with scalpers peddling their FP tickets!

Jones14

The thing about this is that they did exactly the same thing almost twenty years ago with Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. You rip out a "dated" attraction, replace the show scenes, and mutter something about how if you close your eyes and stretch the absolute limits of what fits into a land's theme because you have to satisfy the demand for a popular property. As a result, you lose a perfectly good attraction, and gain a subpar rendition of what could have been a remarkable concept. That doesn't mean it's a good thing, but if they did it with Toy Story, they'll do it with Frozen.

AEfx

The thing about this is that they did exactly the same thing almost twenty years ago with Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. You rip out a "dated" attraction, replace the show scenes, and mutter something about how if you close your eyes and stretch the absolute limits of what fits into a land's theme because you have to satisfy the demand for a popular property. As a result, you lose a perfectly good attraction, and gain a subpar rendition of what could have been a remarkable concept. That doesn't mean it's a good thing, but if they did it with Toy Story, they'll do it with Frozen.

Yeah, that's why I'm more in the "meh" camp. I'd love more, it deserves more, but...this is just nothing new. Disney has been doing this for so long, they've been doing it longer than they weren't.

This just isn't the lavishly spent upon WDW of the 1980's/early 90's - basically, the pre-DLP era. Personally while I hope it could go back to that, I just can't complain when they do something like this because that would be like complaining that McDonald's doesn't make their own Big Mac sauce anymore every time you go. They haven't since the 70's, so at a certain point - you stop being surprised, LOL.

aladdin2007

First, did you watch the whole video? :)

The person being interviewed who is pushing that agenda is a CM on the attraction. ;)

I am referring to the Norwegian travel industry, which has seen a 37% increase in overall hotel bookings, their budget airline (their "Southwest") has seen a 52% increase in traffic (link), and a 40% increase in tours (including Disney's own) (link).

Frozen has been a bonanza for Norway the country. That's a fact. That doesn't mean it does or does not belong where it's being put at WDW - but I don't think anyone needs to cry for Norway, because they didn't have to pay or do a dang thing. They are laughing all the way to the bank right now, so yeah - unless they work at the attraction like the guy in the video, or have some special connection to it - it's just a small set of buildings on the other side of the world to most of them. Epcot simply doesn't have the cache and prestige that EPCOT had back in the day.

Norway has def seen a spike in tourism like you have stated. I dont recall if it was you on the prior page mentioning before this that the pavilion never drew tourists to Norway etc. But in its first few years of operation the pavilion created quite an influx of tourists to Norway, and it was very successful in that, (I dont have exact numbers) but it was positive initially, in the same way frozen has been on tourism. It just didnt last sadly and for one reason or another, several really, numerous attempts at new involment never panned out....The only thing Norway saw positive about the frozen news was that it would bring more people to the pavilion...but then the rest was very much a concern. But hey the government said no to the deal so Disney can do whatever the heck they want. Doesnt make it right thats for sure. Its all still wrong, but its happening. I can tell you there sure was a grand push and movement to save it as it is/was.
If Disney cared about space and theme this could have been a new Norwegian ride hosted by the Frozen characters, and we all would have been fine. But nope of course not, because that would make sense. :banghead:

Mike S

Norway has def seen a spike in tourism like you have stated. I dont recall if it was you on the prior page mentioning before this that the pavilion never drew tourists to Norway etc. But in its first few years of operation the pavilion created quite an influx of tourists to Norway, and it was very successful in that, (I dont have exact numbers) but it was positive initially, in the same way frozen has been on tourism. It just didnt last sadly and for one reason or another, several really, numerous attempts at new involment never panned out....The only thing Norway saw positive about the frozen news was that it would bring more people to the pavilion...but then the rest was very much a concern. But hey the government said no to the deal so Disney can do whatever the heck they want. Doesnt make it right thats for sure. Its all still wrong, but its happening. I can tell you there sure was a grand push and movement to save it as it is/was.
If Disney cared about space and theme this could have been a new Norwegian ride hosted by the Frozen characters, and we all would have been fine. But nope of course not, because that would make sense. :banghead:
Not me. I prefer Trolls over anything Frozen in that space. Next to Norway I could've gotten used to, maybe. If the ride was top notch.

aladdin2007

Not me. I prefer Trolls over anything Frozen in that space. Next to Norway I could've gotten used to, maybe. If the ride was top notch.

Well I agree, I want trolls and vikings all the way, its just if it HAD to be chuffed in there at least do like you did in Mexico and have the characters tour you through the host country. Would have been better than this frozen ever after preschool jibberish.

Goofyernmost

How did you forget, "Home on the Range?"

Wow, now I'm remembering, "Atlantis," and "Treasure Planet"...

I actually thought, "Atlantis," was OK but more like a typical animated feature from any studio (could have easily been from Dreamworks or Sony or whatever).

Frozen isn't a bad movie. It's not their best. I bet a lot of it has to do with the, "Let it Go!," song.

It's also kind of interesting that they've given on up the boy-meets-girl princess stories much like society has (there's no longer courting in society, it's just hook-ups - that's another discussion, I'm just saying it's interesting how they've picked up on this and moved onto other relationships).
My first thought on seeing Atlantis was that it would have been perfect for the then closed, but, still flooded sub ride.

roj2323

That would be a PR disaster.

They've created a huge problem for theirselves. They only have theirselves to blame.

FYI it is:
"themselves"

I do however agree that FP+ would be a PR nightmare but only if they let people schedule FP 60 days out. Disney has the ability to only allow in park FP reservations and or only allow reservations within a 7 day window for example. I personally think they should only allow in park FP rservations for this as it's the only real way to be fair to all guests but I don't know that common sense will prevail.

AEfx

I do however agree that FP+ would be a PR nightmare but only if they let people schedule FP 60 days out. Disney has the ability to only allow in park FP reservations and or only allow reservations within a 7 day window for example. I personally think they should only allow in park FP rservations for this as it's the only real way to be fair to all guests but I don't know that common sense will prevail.

You are right - if BoG was done this way, I wouldn't be so bitter about that one, LOL. It would also not artificially increase crowds there - how many people end up going to the MK that day because of the reservation, not vice versa? If it was just people who happened to be at the MK that day, you'd be able to get a reservation up until at least when they start serving, if not later.

With Epcot, it would be similar - although at least they have more stuff with unused capacity in general, LOL.

Magenta Panther

Of Atlantis, Treasure Planet, and Home on the Range, I think Treasure Planet is the strongest. I thought Atlantis had too much of a Fox Animation feel, like Titan A.E. As for Frozen, I did love it when I saw it, and I still find it very watchable. I don't think I've seen it since it first came on BluRay and that was the second time I saw it but I still think Tangled is a superior film and when I saw that I thought "Disney is back!"
But I don't mind Frozen being in the parks, if its done right. I don't want a stage show with a script that written in 3 days or a parade with recycled floats, or an overlay to an attraction. I nice, flushed out idea (like in Tokyo Disneysea) would be ideal.

I think Treasure Planet is very underrated. It's a beautiful film, with strong characters - Long John Silver is especially outstanding. I think of it as Disney's Iron Giant - a good film that should have done better at the box office. Is it a cult favorite yet?

PhotoDave219

You are right - if BoG was done this way, I wouldn't be so bitter about that one, LOL. It would also not artificially increase crowds there - how many people end up going to the MK that day because of the reservation, not vice versa? If it was just people who happened to be at the MK that day, you'd be able to get a reservation up until at least when they start serving, if not later.

With Epcot, it would be similar - although at least they have more stuff with unused capacity in general, LOL.

BOG is an operational disaster from trying to make it a weird mix of QSR & TS.

Just pick one and stick with it.

AEfx

And keep it open all day!

They could open at 9AM for grab and go breakfast, switch over to lunch at 11 and serve the same menu until close. They'd make the same amount of money with the volume, get many more guests satisfied...which one would think would be priceless.

roj2323

I disagree. The quick service works fine but they really need to do something about the order speed as the computers are slow and not remotely easy to use. They really need to scrap the program they have and start from scratch.

As for the table service, I thought it was fine although over priced.

In both cases the restaurant would be helped by enlarging the vestibule (for capacity reasons) and putting a roof on the bridge leading to the entrance.(for rain and sun blocking if there does happen to be a wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom