Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
I see visions of the queue already

113843558.jpg

If you stand about 10 feet from this image and look at it in a squinting, slightly unfocused view...you can totally see Olaf sipping a piña colada on the beach.

Brer Panther

Well, I fail to see what makes Frozen so much more deserving of an attraction. You know, other than the fact that it's worshipped by everyone.

SJN1279

That's an excellent point. It's exactly like if Universal swapped ET out for Harry Potter and left everything else the same except you're now riding brooms. You'd get on it and think, "Wow.. They didn't even try..."

That would be more creative than what Universal actually came up with......enchanted benches indeed.

SJN1279

e mechanics, themselves, were never particularly thrilling. It was more of a ho-hum sort of a ride.

With it being a retread it could end up like Nemo with it falling flat and, after an initial push because it's the new Frozen ride and people are curious, it gets panned and people don't waste their time on it.

Look at Nemo. I don't ever remember seeing a line for it. I bet it had a line, initially, when it first opened because of it being new but that fell off pretty quickly. The ride is an Omnimover with, "Nemo!... NEMO!!!" being yelled throughout. It has the one gimmick of the projections into the water. That's pretty cool. There's nothing else really cohesive or interesting about it. The animatronics in it are kind of crappy. It's a retread so they saved money on it. I think people recognize that and don't seek it out, partly because Nemo's popularity has faded but also partly because it's not very good.

Take a look at Peter Pan, for comparison, at the MK. There's a line every freaking time I'm there. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. It's an interesting ride where you're sailing on a ship above London and other scenes. Peter Pan certainly isn't a new feature but that ride draws a crowd everyday because it's a neat experience.

Nemo has at least three times more capacity than Pan. It is also a big improvement over any attraction that was at the Living Seas prior to its arrival. It is a must ride whenever I am in Epcot.

Magenta Panther

Well, I fail to see what makes Frozen so much more deserving of an attraction. You know, other than the fact that it's worshipped by everyone.

True, but even Frozen deserved better than being shoehorned into an existing ride. It could have had an amazing mini-land, covered with ice and snow, and a dazzling Ice Palace. But no.

TDO, everyone knows the Maelstrom makeover is a cheap cash grab. EVERYONE. Read the comments on the Disney Parks Blog. Boy, those made my day. You guys come off as cynical and exploitative, which is the exact opposite of the Disney spirit and legacy. Shame on you.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It has the one gimmick of the projections into the water. That's pretty cool. There's nothing else really cohesive or interesting about it. The animatronics in it are kind of crappy. It's a retread so they saved money on it.

This kind of sums up the mentality of what they think will make a hit ride nowadays. Make an IP based attraction and throw a cool gimmick in the ride and presto! I bet when they were designing Nemo they thought for sure that the projections into the aquarium were going to be such a big hit that it didnt matter what the rest of the ride had.. It truly is an awesome feature, but it cant save the rest of the ride from being a hot mess. The scene with Chum (mako shark with nose ring) slowly popping out at you and the scene with the angler fish could have been so much better, but they are examples of laziness (if they are even working). The jellyfish scene is simply the worst though. They are just crappy looking and putting 50 of them in there didnt make it any better. They only put effort int the last 30 seconds of the ride and hoped it would be enough.

Look at Peter Pan though. No amazing technology, no new advanced AA's, just a ride through the various environments of the movie. Why does it work so well? It has ALL the factors a good ride needs, not just one or two. Unique ride platform, great environment, great music, and EVERY scene has great detail which really pulls you in. Same with HM or POTC, they have all the factors, not just one or two. But hold the presses, guys and gals, Mangum told us in the article that the Frozen ride would have "cutting edge" AA's with the projection screen faces. How many years are they gonna milk that feature as "cutting edge"? Wasnt it first done in BLSSR on the Buzz AA? That was like 15 years ago.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Nemo has at least three times more capacity than Pan. It is also a big improvement over any attraction that was at the Living Seas prior to its arrival. It is a must ride whenever I am in Epcot.
We always ride Nemo as well, but mostly for the Big Blue World scene at the end. That part is awesome, the rest is just blah. Half the time you can see the stick that the Angler fish is attached to. Bad form.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
This kind of sums up the mentality of what they think will make a hit ride nowadays. Make an IP based attraction and throw a cool gimmick in the ride and presto! I bet when they were designing Nemo they thought for sure that the projections into the aquarium were going to be such a big hit that it didnt matter what the rest of the ride had.. It truly is an awesome feature, but it cant save the rest of the ride from being a hot mess. The scene with Chum (mako shark with nose ring) slowly popping out at you and the scene with the angler fish could have been so much better, but they are examples of laziness (if they are even working). The jellyfish scene is simply the worst though. They are just crappy looking and putting 50 of them in there didnt make it any better. They only put effort int the last 30 seconds of the ride and hoped it would be enough.

Look at Peter Pan though. No amazing technology, no new advanced AA's, just a ride through the various environments of the movie. Why does it work so well? It has ALL the factors a good ride needs, not just one or two. Unique ride platform, great environment, great music, and EVERY scene has great detail which really pulls you in. Same with HM or POTC, they have all the factors, not just one or two. But hold the presses, guys and gals, Mangum told us in the article that the Frozen ride would have "cutting edge" AA's with the projection screen faces. How many years are they gonna milk that feature as "cutting edge"? Wasnt it first done in BLSSR on the Buzz AA? That was like 15 years ago.

BLSRS soft opened in October 1998. You would often see photos or videos of the Windows " blue screen of death " on his face posted on the internet. Perhaps the "cutting-edge" they are referring to is the way they do the mapping now. Another Toy Story example is Mr. Potato Head in TSMM and again there are many fun photos and pictures of his different fail states. With articulating faces, you many have more moving parts but their faces don't just "disappear". But I digress... The projection mapping for faces (or eyes) is older than what most would semantically refer to as "Cutting Edge".

*1023*

ETA: Lumiere' is also a face projection...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The only people still worshiping it are the odd adults. Most kids who loved it have moved on. Dont get me wrong, Frozen definitely has staying power and when kids see there is a ride for it, they will want to go. Ive just seen more adults who are obsessed with the movie than kids. Like weirdly obsessed, as in they feel a relation to Anna and Elsa struggles or something??? Sure, the frozen sisters are strong characters, but IMO, the movie has an extremely disjointed message that attempts to come off as "empowering", but in essence is nothing more than a huge temper tantrum brought on by lack of communication.

Mike S

The only people still worshiping it are the odd adults. Most kids who loved it have moved on. Dont get me wrong, Frozen definitely has staying power and when kids see there is a ride for it, they will want to go. Ive just seen more adults who are obsessed with the movie than kids. Like weirdly obsessed, as in they feel a relation to Anna and Elsa struggles or something??? Sure, the frozen sisters are strong characters, but IMO, the movie has an extremely disjointed message that attempts to come off as "empowering", but in essence is nothing more than a huge temper tantrum brought on by lack of communication.
If Frozen became big because it was somehow "empowering," what is "Go the Distance" from Hercules? Chopped liver?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
BLSRS soft opened in October 1998. You would often see photos or videos of the Windows " blue screen of death " on his face posted on the internet. Perhaps the "cutting-edge" they are referring to is the way they do the mapping now. Another Toy Story example is Mr. Potato Head in TSMM and again there are many fun photos and pictures of his different fail states. With articulating faces, you many have more moving parts but their faces don't just "disappear". But I digress... The projection mapping for faces (or eyes) is older than what most would semantically refer to as "Cutting Edge".

*1023*

ETA: Lumiere' is also a face projection...
Agreed, they have definitely improved the technique over the years. Its just laughable how they keep trotting out upgraded versions but describe it as cutting edge. Im gonna go sharpen my pencil and then sell it to someone as a "uniquely immersive, cutting edge writing utensil"

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If Frozen became big because it was somehow "empowering," what is "Go the Distance" from Hercules? Chopped liver?
At least when Hercules becomes an outcast he doesnt make an ENTIRE KINGDOM suffer for his lack of ability to control his emotions and then selfishly runs away leaving everybody in agony. Looking at you, Elsa! Calm down you brat!

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I would bet that they originally tried to find a way for you to be ridding brooms in Forbidden Journey but just couldn't find a reasonable way to do it. It's a great ride so even though benches don't sound to creative, I am ok with it.

The best "Broomstick" ride vehicle would have ended up looking like the bikes in E.T.

*1023*

Magenta Panther

The film struck a chord somehow. Sure didn't with me, though. I would much rather have had a real adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson's "Snow Queen". Talk about female empowerment - in Anderson's story, the character in distress is a male, the rescuer is a female, and there are four - count 'em - four other strong female characters: the two female shamans, the little Robber Girl, and the Snow Queen herself.

Oh well, we got what we got...

Goofyernmost

Not by everyone. I might be the only one that hates it, but, there it is. Well, hates is a little harsh, I do like the "Do you want to build a snowman" part.

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Those little sea shells were proceeded by the Sea Cabs which brought you through the middle of the tank. (the still do actually, but you can no longer see just the live fish swimming overhead. Sharks, etc. Real stuff instead of a cartoon.) It was a clear window like in the circular observation area except that the animals were swimming directly over the top of you. They closed that part off, because... well, I don't know why but they went the way of the Hydolators thus completely wiping out any theme other then cartoon aquarium from the place.

I'm also not seeing how it could possibly have more capacity the Pan. It's the same thing, taking the same amount of people for a very short distance. The difference is that it didn't let you off at the end where you started, it left you off in the middle. Exactly like it does now.

voodoo321

Its an omnimover. The cars don't have to stop for loading/unloading. They are closer together too, therefore more cars/people per sq/ft of track. Doesn't matter how long the ride is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom