Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanNite

I see visions of the queue already

113843558.jpg

Mike S

It would even be better if they just used the country pad they are building the M&G and bathrooms on, to fully build out Arendelle, accessible through some "hidden" portal in Norway. Their very own Diagon Alley. Heck, they could do that for all the counties, with empty pads next to them. Present both real and fictional worlds, and let the people decide which they want, and Epcot becomes an interesting place to be (even if it's not pure).
I've suggested something like this before as a compromise if it absolutely had to go in Epcot. It would still be a bad fit but at least they put effort into it.
Yes, "as much." This could've easily been what went between Norway and Mexico (alterations made for space reasons, of course) instead of another freakin' M&G taking over prime real estate for a real attraction. As a bonus Maelstrom would still be operating today and in a perfect world would get the same love and attention Disneyland gave some of its rides for the 60th. It could've been like a WDW version of Diagon Alley. Traveling from a pretty much real place (London/Norway) and going into a fantasy world (Diagon Alley/Arendelle). Would still be very poor placement but at least it wouldn't have been cheap and would have some actual thought and creativity put behind it.
Parents with small children were queing for a good 3 hours just to get a picture with Elsa. They will go out of their minds to actually have a ride on the experience.

Walls will be torn down, people will be jumping over one another, parents will be parachuting down from above, people will be queuing up in the early hours ride Maelstrom, i mean Frozen Ever and be willing to queue for 36 hours without sleep. We will see tents, the works.
Dog and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey5150

Well, I don't really understand all the hate. Maelstrom was my Epcot favorite, I didn't love Frozen but I also did not hate it, and I think it's awesome that Frozen ever after is coming to Norway.

ght

Well, I don't really understand all the hate. Maelstrom was my Epcot favorite, I didn't love Frozen but I also did not hate it, and I think it's awesome that Frozen ever after is coming to Norway.
For the most part it isn't so much hate as it is concern over putting their highest demand property in their lowest capacity ride and how that will impact the area. There is also dismay over how it fits in the WS but that seems to have died down a bit since that is a fait accompli at this point.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Its about 50% that its coming to WS and 50% that they're doing it all wrong. If you're gonna do it, go all in and do it right.
Whats good is that Disney is blessed with the fact that "going all in" won't break the bank, it wont even put a dent in it. Just spend the d@mn money and watch the turnstiles click. What's the problem?

MerlinTheGoat

Photodave said it already but i'll elaborate somewhat.

I like Frozen and would be happy to have a ride (wasn't remotely a favorite of mine in the Disney animated fare but it was still enjoyable and a proper ride done right would be very welcome). But it has to be done in the proper location, with a proper budget and with the proper execution. I also liked Maelstrom, though concede its problem of being too short. What they are doing here is a betrayal to fans of both Norway as well as fans of Frozen, and it fixes none of the issues that the original ride suffered from either. It reeks of lazy, cheap cash-in without any thought put into it from a creative or logistics aspect.

It further mutilates EPCOT's original vision and doesn't fit the park at all. They're cheaping out and not really expanding the ride noticeably (reusing the same track layout with only a couple of feet extra length), meaning it won't even address the glaring problem Maelstrom had in the first place. And insiders have mentioned the plans for the scenes themselves to be mediocre (describing the ride as more of a crappy overlay than a truly new experience).

Fans of classic EPCOT (and Norway) fans deserve better, Frozen fans deserve better, everyone who visits and appreciates Disney movies or parks deserves better. A more appropriate location (Fantasyland), a completely NEW ride and a decent budget and proper effort put into it. Then we could agree to invest some amount of interest and excitement. What we're getting instead is a cheap rushjob (as rushed as Disney's molasses slow pace will concede to) that reeks of having been forced by executives who have no knowledge or respect for the parks or guests.

articos

Photodave said it already but i'll elaborate somewhat.

I like Frozen and would be happy to have a ride (wasn't remotely a favorite of mine in the Disney animated fare but it was still enjoyable and a proper ride done right would be very welcome). But it has to be done in the proper location, with a proper budget and with the proper execution. I also liked Maelstrom, though concede its problem of being too short. What they are doing here is a betrayal to fans of both Norway as well as fans of Frozen, and it fixes none of the issues that the original ride suffered from either. It reeks of lazy, cheap cash-in without any thought put into it from a creative or logistics aspect.

It further mutilates EPCOT's original vision and doesn't fit the park at all. They're cheaping out and not really expanding the ride noticeably (reusing the same track layout with only a couple of feet extra length), meaning it won't even address the glaring problem Maelstrom had in the first place. And insiders have mentioned the plans for the scenes themselves to be mediocre (describing the ride as more of a crappy overlay than a truly new experience).

Fans of classic EPCOT (and Norway) fans deserve better, Frozen fans deserve better, everyone who visits and appreciates Disney movies or parks deserves better. A more appropriate location (Fantasyland), a completely NEW ride and a decent budget and proper effort put into it. Then we could agree to invest some amount of interest and excitement. What we're getting instead is a cheap rushjob (as rushed as Disney's molasses slow pace will concede to) that reeks of having been forced by executives who have no knowledge or respect for the parks or guests.
Completely ignoring doing an attraction properly and doing the IP justice...
  1. It further mutilates EPCOT's original vision and doesn't fit the park at all.
  2. Fans of classic EPCOT (and Norway) deserve better.
Just those.

danheaton

I wouldn't call my reaction "hate". Like others have said, there are really three things for me (1) It fits better in Hollywood Studios than World Showcase; (2) The capacity of the Maelstrom ride system and footprint of that area can't handle the crowds; (3) The description and artwork for the ride seems really lazy.

When you combine all three of those, it just sounds like the laziest way to capitalize on a hot property. It's like if Universal just re-themed ET into Harry Potter and turned the bikes into brooms.

Brad Bishop

I'd bet 3 to 5 hours...:banghead:

There's another possibility: The ride falls flat.

A lot of us like Maelstrom but the ride mechanics, themselves, were never particularly thrilling. It was more of a ho-hum sort of a ride.

With it being a retread it could end up like Nemo with it falling flat and, after an initial push because it's the new Frozen ride and people are curious, it gets panned and people don't waste their time on it.

Look at Nemo. I don't ever remember seeing a line for it. I bet it had a line, initially, when it first opened because of it being new but that fell off pretty quickly. The ride is an Omnimover with, "Nemo!... NEMO!!!" being yelled throughout. It has the one gimmick of the projections into the water. That's pretty cool. There's nothing else really cohesive or interesting about it. The animatronics in it are kind of crappy. It's a retread so they saved money on it. I think people recognize that and don't seek it out, partly because Nemo's popularity has faded but also partly because it's not very good.

Take a look at Peter Pan, for comparison, at the MK. There's a line every freaking time I'm there. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. It's an interesting ride where you're sailing on a ship above London and other scenes. Peter Pan certainly isn't a new feature but that ride draws a crowd everyday because it's a neat experience.

Brad Bishop

When you combine all three of those, it just sounds like the laziest way to capitalize on a hot property. It's like if Universal just re-themed ET into Harry Potter and turned the bikes into brooms.

That's an excellent point. It's exactly like if Universal swapped ET out for Harry Potter and left everything else the same except you're now riding brooms. You'd get on it and think, "Wow.. They didn't even try..."

SpaceMountain77

To me, it is incomprehensible as to why Elsa, Anna, Sven, Kristoff and Olaf are not serving as ambassadors of Norway. The show scenes could have represented actual countrysides and towns of Norway, simply narrated and toured by the characters of Frozen. This would have created a new storyline and been more respectful of the pavilion's heritage.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
There's another possibility: The ride falls flat.

A lot of us like Maelstrom but the ride mechanics, themselves, were never particularly thrilling. It was more of a ho-hum sort of a ride.

With it being a retread it could end up like Nemo with it falling flat and, after an initial push because it's the new Frozen ride and people are curious, it gets panned and people don't waste their time on it.

Look at Nemo. I don't ever remember seeing a line for it. I bet it had a line, initially, when it first opened because of it being new but that fell off pretty quickly. The ride is an Omnimover with, "Nemo!... NEMO!!!" being yelled throughout. It has the one gimmick of the projections into the water. That's pretty cool. There's nothing else really cohesive or interesting about it. The animatronics in it are kind of crappy. It's a retread so they saved money on it. I think people recognize that and don't seek it out, partly because Nemo's popularity has faded but also partly because it's not very good.

Take a look at Peter Pan, for comparison, at the MK. There's a line every freaking time I'm there. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. It's an interesting ride where you're sailing on a ship above London and other scenes. Peter Pan certainly isn't a new feature but that ride draws a crowd everyday because it's a neat experience.

Anything can create a line with FP+... Just add FP+ and you can bury any Omnimover attraction... It's a shame current management wasn't around when Horizons was on the chopping block... Now, they would just add FP+ to it and the line would be at least 20 minutes long....

*1023*

@magicdisneypass

Anything can create a line with FP+... Just add FP+ and you can bury any Omnimover attraction... It's a shame current management wasn't around when Horizons was on the chopping block... Now, they would just add FP+ to it and the line would be at least 20 minutes long....

*1023*

ok off topic and im stupid but wth is the significance of 1023? standby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom