Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

articos

Do you know how they adding capacity?
Would it be bigger logs or closer spacings between logs? I'm assuming that there are limited options given that the ride system is not changing.
Yes, but until the boats are back in for testing, I'd rather not go into any detail. The options they have are going to need a lot of tweaking to make things work, if they work as intended.
Capacity increases will be minimal. Due to the double reversing elements of the ride system, they cannot reduce the distance between boats. Due to the same mechanisms, they cannot increase the size of the boats. With a single load/unload dock they could possible have one more boat "in motion" at the same time, and the load/unload process may go a little faster - but this would be off-set by a slightly longer ride. The only way they could significantly increase throughput would be to remove the two "switches" and replace tham with curves - but there is no indication that *any* changes are being made to the flume itself. And even then, there would have to be at least some delay built in to allow one boat to clear the bottom of the hill before the next one went down (as in PoC or Splash). Given the current capacity of 900/hour (quoting others on this board), I wouldn't expect to see any more than 1000/hour...
The flume bed is not being changed physically. I don't think there is enough room to engineer a curve in the space just before North Sea even if they wanted to. However, there are ways to address some of the other items you're bringing up. I did say "not a lot" when it came to capacity increasing, though, on purpose. :)
The ride system was designed to bring the boat very close to the the edge of the outside waterfall (a great visual effect of the ride was the "fear" of going over the waterfall, but because it was behind you, it was completely lost). It also served a practical purpose of being a run-off for water in the switching area, so I'm guessing they will reopen the hole and have some sort of "ice cave" just barely visible inside - as a teaser.
Right. Goes with the narration of "back, back, over the falls!" The original boat design didn't anticipate the height/width of the back blocking the view behind as much as it did. The waterfall should stay.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Whether you loved or hated Maelstrom, whether you want Epcot to be more kid friendly or remain true to its past, none of that changes the fact that Disney just flat out cut corners and took the path of least resistance with this attraction. Nobody wins. Everybody got shortchanged here. They can throw all their over-used, repetitive buzz words at it, but its still unimaginative.

Counting on it to "boost the popularity of Epcot" is only more proof of how out of touch they are becoming with what makes a theme park popular or unique in the first place. I can completely respect that Frozen fans are excited for an attraction, but the cost of their happiness comes at the expense of the company knowing, or at least thinking that it will be acceptable to do this again.

Staggs really sums it up perfectly in his quote, “we purposefully set a really audacious goal to get this thing done.” Its nice to know that the emphasis of their "audacious goal" is to simply "get it done", not create an amazing attraction or give the fans something truly unique in themed entertainment, nope, just "get it done". And while Disney "audaciously" takes nearly 2 years to reskin an existing attraction, Universal is building an entire island with an actual big ticket attraction. And while Disney gives us an artist rendering of ONE scene from their audacious refurb, Universal actually has something to show for their work so far, which I gotta say, looks exciting...and it didnt take a WSJ reporter asking unwanted questions for them to release a video, lol

odmichael

Whether you loved or hated Maelstrom, whether you want Epcot to be more kid friendly or remain true to its past, none of that changes the fact that Disney just flat out cut corners and took the path of least resistance with this attraction. Nobody wins. Everybody got shortchanged here. They can throw all their over-used, repetitive buzz words at it, but its still unimaginative.

Counting on it to "boost the popularity of Epcot" is only more proof of how out of touch they are becoming with what makes a theme park popular or unique in the first place. I can completely respect that Frozen fans are excited for an attraction, but the cost of their happiness comes at the expense of the company knowing, or at least thinking that it will be acceptable to do this again.

Staggs really sums it up perfectly in his quote, “we purposefully set a really audacious goal to get this thing done.” Its nice to know that the emphasis of their "audacious goal" is to simply "get it done", not create an amazing attraction or give the fans something truly unique in themed entertainment, nope, just "get it done". And while Disney "audaciously" takes nearly 2 years to reskin an existing attraction, Universal is building an entire island with an actual big ticket attraction. And while Disney gives us an artist rendering of ONE scene from their audacious refurb, Universal actually has something to show for their work so far, which I gotta say, looks exciting...and it didnt take a WSJ reporter asking unwanted questions for them to release a video, lol

While Disney has made some mistakes as of late, I am being optimistic that they are trying to fix them with a game of "catch-up" here. Pandora is all new and I'm sure there will be some other new stuff though it will take a while. I'm really being optimistic that they are going to try and blow people away at D23.

Daveeeeed

While Disney has made some mistakes as of late, I am being optimistic that they are trying to fix them with a game of "catch-up" here. Pandora is all new and I'm sure there will be some other new stuff though it will take a while. I'm really being optimistic that they are going to try and blow people away at D23.
True Pandora will be epic. Although I think the problem "Frozen: Ever After" suffers is the loading capacity. Not to mention how short the ride will be. That's their biggest problem.
P.S. The name is pretty bad too, but that will not affect the ride itself :)

ght

Demand for Frozen will dry up completely in the coming months and.....

Nope. They are screwed.
It as if their strategy is having Frozen will get kids to drag their parents to the park, but the attraction won't get that crowded because what will ultimately be there will be so uninspiring that enough the parents will say "never mind" after they get there
True Pandora will be epic. Although I think the problem "Frozen: Ever After" suffers is the loading capacity. Not to mention how short the ride will be. That's their biggest problem.
P.S. The name is pretty bad too, but that will not affect the ride itself :)
As bad as the name is, at least it doesn't share an acronym with an obscene phrase.

danheaton

There was a massive highway construction here in St. Louis maybe five years ago. They basically closed the busiest highway in the city for a year. Everyone (including me) thought it would be a total mess. Strangely, it was fine and not really any worse.

My hope is that somehow all the capacity issues and bottlenecks will be the same way with this Frozen ride. Of course, the chances of that happening are even less than of my highway example. There's just so much demand and nowhere to put all the guests who want to ride it. When you add that to Disney not making other additions in EPCOT, it seems even worse.

Daveeeeed

There was a massive highway construction here in St. Louis maybe five years ago. They basically closed the busiest highway in the city for a year. Everyone (including me) thought it would be a total mess. Strangely, it was fine and not really any worse.

My hope is that somehow all the capacity issues and bottlenecks will be the same way with this Frozen ride. Of course, the chances of that happening are even less than of my highway example. There's just so much demand and nowhere to put all the guests who want to ride it. When you add that to Disney not making other additions in EPCOT, it seems even worse.
Well they are adding another theater to Soarin' that will help at least somewhat, but still Frozen will be overwhelmed. They Need to redo Imagination entirely, and put a new ride in the unvierse of energy while keeping the music as it rocks.

danheaton

Well they are adding another theater to Soarin' that will help at least somewhat, but still Frozen will be overwhelmed. They Need to redo Imagination entirely, and put a new ride in the unvierse of energy while keeping the music as it rocks.

Right. Imagination and Energy given them opportunities to spread out crowds and also would help FP+ to work much better too. The sad thing is that I don't see anything happening for a while.

Daveeeeed

Right. Imagination and Energy given them opportunities to spread out crowds and also would help FP+ to work much better too. The sad thing is that I don't see anything happening for a while.
Exactly. Energy already gobbles up crowds, but imagine the potential if it was so good it always had a 30 minute wait? And if they would go the expensive route they could make a roller coaster where FIgment is, and the Captain EO theater if it gets a new show could be cloned to: Paris, Tokyo, and Anaheim. But a roller coaster would be better for a new pavilion in WS, so let's assume they make a Phineas & Ferb attraction where figment was. It'll jump from a 5 min wait to 30 minute even after a year it opens.

aladdin2007

The ride system was designed to bring the boat very close to the the edge of the outside waterfall (a great visual effect of the ride was the "fear" of going over the waterfall, but because it was behind you, it was completely lost). It also served a practical purpose of being a run-off for water in the switching area, so I'm guessing they will reopen the hole and have some sort of "ice cave" just barely visible inside - as a teaser.

while that would be kinda cool looking, anyone else think that portion/scene though will be themed to Olafs summer song instead of icy? and as you go down the flume you hear and see olaf blaring, in summerrrrrrrrrrrrr from the end of the song? Okay maybe not, Im already annoyed at the thought lol.

and maybe just maybe or hopefully Imagineering will somehow have worked in some respect for Norway in this in some way we dont know about yet. I know, dont hold your breath since they haven't given barely any notion of that so far, but I would like to think Mangum at least realizes the importance of that.

PhotoDave219

I REALLY hope we are all wrong about this and somehow there will be no issue at all. I can't see how that will be the case, but I would love for my fears to be unfounded.

If you'd like to explain to me how they can increase the HRC, I'm all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom