Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi2134

The contractor is Elite A/V systems so it's probably audio and video wiring.

Have you ever compiled a wiki or like a knowledge database of all the things you have learned over the years? Such as which contractors have worked on certain projects, what they have done, etc...? Would be fascinating to kind of see all of that. But that kind of would be a massive undertaking.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Have you ever compiled a wiki or like a knowledge database of all the things you have learned over the years? Such as which contractors have worked on certain projects, what they have done, etc...? Would be fascinating to kind of see all of that. But that kind of would be a massive undertaking.

I have a database of every permit filed in the past 5 years. I also started adding all the permits from when construction first started on WDW but I only made it up to the earlier 90's because the number of permits per year went up dramatically at that time.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Feb. 19. Some close-ups of the meet and greet structures.

IMG_7370.JPG

IMG_7368.JPG

aladdin2007

are they gonna do the ice castle in forced perspective? or just rockword?

No icecastle, (thank goodness) it will look authentic Norwegian.............also noticed today at the ride that the lower half of rock work at the waterfall in the front is intact....but the top part has all been ripped out with the opening lookout completely gutted through and all around it.

sedati

Photo update as of Friday, Feb. 19. Some close-ups of the meet and greet structures.

View attachment 131375

View attachment 131376
Thanks to you and all the photo contributors. I find it reassuring that for all the moaning about the "toonification" of this pavilion this seems to mark a further and much needed progression for World Showcase to move away from the pristine and artificial looking facades and closer to the "realism" seen at the Animal Kingdom. Both Norway and Morocco (each later additions) have always stood out to me as far more genuine and, dare I say, adult in execution. Neither seems to push the forced perspective as far as the original pavilions and each has a much more lived in feel- like it has an actual history and isn't trapped in a permenenty brand new look. The techniques that work so well in the Magic Kingdom I think have failed in World Showcase. No offense to past greats like John Hench, but I feel an overhaul in color and patina would work wonders. Perhaps in the long term it would also serve to take on the idea of Westcot and transform the pavilions from specific countries to more vague regions. Arguments about what goes into the pavilions is justified buy tired, but I wonder if I'm alone from thinking that the same techniques that brought us Main Street USA and the Hollywood that Never Was doesn't really work anymore at Epcot.
Sorry for rambling- thoughts?

Beacon Joe

As a Maelstrom fan, the whole Frozen thing still angers me. And my daughter may be an aberration, but she loved the polar bears and trolls and even the oil rig and has developed a really negative attitude toward all things Frozen after learning that her favorite thing in the World Showcase was removed.

But that's an interesting point about realism and patina. Having lived in Italy, that's the one thing I don't like about the Italian pavilion... it needs some age and general griminess.

Goofyernmost

As a Maelstrom fan, the whole Frozen thing still angers me. And my daughter may be an aberration, but she loved the polar bears and trolls and even the oil rig and has developed a really negative attitude toward all things Frozen after learning that her favorite thing in the World Showcase was removed.

But that's an interesting point about realism and patina. Having lived in Italy, that's the one thing I don't like about the Italian pavilion... it needs some age and general griminess.
And lots and lots of graffiti! :mad:

FigmentForver96

Thanks to you and all the photo contributors. I find it reassuring that for all the moaning about the "toonification" of this pavilion this seems to mark a further and much needed progression for World Showcase to move away from the pristine and artificial looking facades and closer to the "realism" seen at the Animal Kingdom. Both Norway and Morocco (each later additions) have always stood out to me as far more genuine and, dare I say, adult in execution. Neither seems to push the forced perspective as far as the original pavilions and each has a much more lived in feel- like it has an actual history and isn't trapped in a permenenty brand new look. The techniques that work so well in the Magic Kingdom I think have failed in World Showcase. No offense to past greats like John Hench, but I feel an overhaul in color and patina would work wonders. Perhaps in the long term it would also serve to take on the idea of Westcot and transform the pavilions from specific countries to more vague regions. Arguments about what goes into the pavilions is justified buy tired, but I wonder if I'm alone from thinking that the same techniques that brought us Main Street USA and the Hollywood that Never Was doesn't really work anymore at Epcot.
Sorry for rambling- thoughts?
Part of the almost unreal aspect of world showcase was that each country was a romanticized version of each. They showcases a specific time peroid that shows the more ideal version of that nation

jt04

Part of the almost unreal aspect of world showcase was that each country was a romanticized version of each. They showcases a specific time peroid that shows the more ideal version of that nation

Or you could look at it as an out of date 'It's a Small World' for adults who can't handle their alcohol.

Which reminds me that I need to do some armchair imagineering while I wait for 8:00.

Goofyernmost

I'm never sure why that point is brought up over and over. Who would want to see the darker side of a country. Why would a country benefit by showing that side. To my knowledge the only country that has done that at all is the United States. The Civil War was hardly a high spot in our history. The positive was they wanted to show that as a nation we could survive some bad stuff and still remain free and independent. However, the actual war was terrible and a thing that none of us should be proud to have in our heritage.

sedati

Or you could look at it and see that is the most beautiful parts of each country frozen in a time that is beautiful and timeless.
Having traveled a bit and also living in one of America's oldest cities all I can say is that many places (and some people) are beautiful because of their age. I'm not talking about making anything look decrepit or seedy, but places like Scottland and Venice are truly amazing because you just absorb the sense of time worn perseverance of the architecture and culture.
A newly built house is pristine and beautiful in its way. A house with a family living in it, a bit of wear and tear, the plants growing in and maybe a few storms endured gives that house charm, individuality and soul.
The frozen in time thing is going to happen, but I think it's the specific "time" that needs to be rethought. Not pristine and new. Not modern day, but maybe somewhere inbetween they can find the dream version- not true to life, but true.

Father Robinson

Has there been any word on the Fastpass situation of the Frozen ride in regards to the situation for Test Track or Soarin'? In other words, right now you can't get a FP for Soarin' on the same day you get one for TT and vice versa, has anyone heard if you'll be able to get a FP for Frozen Ever After on the same day you have a FP for either TT or Soarin'? I ask because obviously this is going to be a ridiculously popular attraction when it opens.

DisneyRoy

Has there been any word on the Fastpass situation of the Frozen ride in regards to the situation for Test Track or Soarin'? In other words, right now you can't get a FP for Soarin' on the same day you get one for TT and vice versa, has anyone heard if you'll be able to get a FP for Frozen Ever After on the same day you have a FP for either TT or Soarin'? I ask because obviously this is going to be a ridiculously popular attraction when it opens.

I don't think we've heard anything yet. Probably won't until we get closer to opening and actually have a date set by Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom