Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedMansionFLA

If you look back at the great attractions of the 90's (Tower of Terror, original Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure), you'll notice that there's a decided effort to make these attractions accessible to people who have no familiarity with the source material. In a way, I'd be much happier if Disney did base more attractions on forgotten movies, because it would mean they would be more likely to have an appeal other than franchise recognition. Will Frozen bring anything to the table other than its franchise? I hope so, but the temptation to rely exclusively on the recogition factor might be very powerful...
I'm waiting for the Kurt Russell attractions based on SuperDad and The strongest Man In The World!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Nope, nothing new. Construction continues, vertical has topped out, shiney metal roofs applied and it's almost time for the structures to be roughed in. No scrim changes, school bread and akavit still being served daily. Sad little building representing the majestic Akershus still chocked full of people celebrating feudal society (and conveniently ignoring the serfs)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Children, because of a lessor degree of awareness (innocence, if you will) can and do involuntarily suspend disbelief, but, even then they are not suspending anything, they are just identifying what they see as reality.
Adults involuntarily suspend disbelief. Thats the reason, its called "involuntarily", because you dont even know you are doing it.

As an adult, have you ever read a fictional book and pictured in your mind what the book is describing such as a character or a setting? If the story and the writing are good you dont think about it or voluntarily decide to create an image in your head, it just happens. Suspending disbelief is using your imagination and the simple fact of you picturing it in your head instantly creates a fictional world that your mind INVOLUNTARILY imagined which in turn becomes a suspended view of the reality you currently preside in.

Of course in a themed attraction, your aware that you are entering into a fictional world such as Haunted Mansion, but your level awareness slowly dissipates as you chug along in your doom buggy and you find yourself enjoying the sights and sounds of what real haunted house could acutally be like. An adult will not absolutely believe that they are truly in a haunted mansion, but the level of detail and proper placement of props and sound effects all make a difference in lowering your awareness that it is all only smoke and mirrors

lazyboy97o

Adults involuntarily suspend disbelief. Thats the reason, its called "involuntarily", because you dont even know you are doing it.

As an adult, have you ever read a fictional book and pictured in your mind what the book is describing such as a character or a setting? If the story and the writing are good you dont think about it or voluntarily decide to create an image in your head, it just happens. Suspending disbelief is using your imagination and the simple fact of you picturing it in your head instantly creates a fictional world that your mind INVOLUNTARILY imagined which in turn becomes a suspended view of the reality you currently preside in.

Of course in a themed attraction, your aware that you are entering into a fictional world such as Haunted Mansion, but your level awareness slowly dissipates as you chug along in your doom buggy and you find yourself enjoying the sights and sounds of what real haunted house could acutally be like. An adult will not absolutely believe that they are truly in a haunted mansion, but the level of detail and proper placement of props and sound effects all make a difference in lowering your awareness that it is all only smoke and mirrors
You aren't saying anything different which is still discussing more the ontology and paradoxes of fiction, not the suspension of disbelief. Disbelief is that moment when, having pictured this fictional word, the work suddenly takes a turn that makes you go "Wait, what? I don't buy that." It's those moments that break the imagined world. Disbelief is more what should be discussed because it is what we actually notice, our negative reaction to a fantastical premise that we reject. Frozen ending with a space battle probably would have had a lot of people, even kids, scratching their heads and saying "That's ridiculous."

Crazydisneyfanluke

Dont know if this has been posted. Here is a picture of the facade.

Attachments

• 20151205_152938.jpg
    20151205_152938.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 193

brb1006

I'm still curious to see the Olaf animatronic, unlike the one seen at Festival Of Fantasy or the Christmas Fantasy Parade.

RSoxNo1

It lost its popularity. Epcot had to change. WOM and Horizons especially had very low attendance numbers because the rides bored people. Folks got tired of seeing the commercials disguised as "attractions" for GM and GE.
Horizons and World of Motion were stale, but could have been revitalized. I applaud the efforts with Test Track and Mission: SPACE, I think the objective there was to maintain the spirit of Epcot. I would certainly argue that the Test Track pre and post show now very much feel like classic Epcot to me. The ride itself though feels very sterile.

What I and others oppose are the lazy efforts... half @$$ed like Imagination or easy character infusion like Nemo, Gran Fiesta Tour and Frozen. None of those things are inspiring at all. They didn't even attempt to be.

Phil12

Horizons and World of Motion were stale, but could have been revitalized. I applaud the efforts with Test Track and Mission: SPACE, I think the objective there was to maintain the spirit of Epcot. I would certainly argue that the Test Track pre and post show now very much feel like classic Epcot to me. The ride itself though feels very sterile.

What I and others oppose are the lazy efforts... half @$$ed like Imagination or easy character infusion like Nemo, Gran Fiesta Tour and Frozen. None of those things are inspiring at all. They didn't even attempt to be.
I agree. Horizons, WOM and Imagination were all stale and yes, they could have been revitalized. For whatever reasons, only Imagination got the green light and the other two were replaced with new attractions.

What bothers me is the assertion by some people that these three attractions were doing just fine and packing in the crowds. That just wasn't the case. They had grown stale to the point that guests stopped visiting all three attractions. Some folks use the excuse that since they were omni-movers, they had tremendous capacity and it just appeared that they weren't popular. That is pure bolderdash! The attendance at all three attractions had dropped drastically because guests were bored with them.

All three attractions needed help and their respective sponsors had a lot to do with the fate of each. I too was not pleased with the rehabilitation of Imagination, but the alternative would have been to raze it as well. Perhaps that would have been better.

And the same can be said for The Living Seas. It was top notch in its day, but its day is long gone. I'll take Nemo any day over, "And they rained... and rained... and rained...". And let's be honest here. All of these attractions were advertisements for their corporate sponsors. Perhaps Mrs. Paul's Fish-sticks might want to sponsor The Living Seas? WDW needs to get rid of that aquarium.

And then you've got the people that want to bring Dreamfinder back to Imagination. I understand that these fans sincerely mean well, but Ford thought the Edsel was a good idea too.

Flippin'Flounder

I've never ridden any of them, but I've seen videos, and WoM is awful, I've never been able to sit through the whole thing. Horizons isn't great either, and I enjoy M:S. Imaginations old version seems amazing though, although I have a love for Figment (Yeah, I like the current ride, a lot, deal with it) I know videos are nothing like the real deal, but these are just comparisons. Plus I've seen videos of very good foreign at reactions, that still kept me entertained. I did ride El Rio Del Tiempo though, and I hate the new version.

Goofyernmost

I've never ridden any of them, but I've seen videos, and WoM is awful, I've never been able to sit through the whole thing. Horizons isn't great either, and I enjoy M:S. Imaginations old version seems amazing though, although I have a love for Figment (Yeah, I like the current ride, a lot, deal with it) I know videos are nothing like the real deal, but these are just comparisons. Plus I've seen videos of very good foreign at reactions, that still kept me entertained. I did ride El Rio Del Tiempo though, and I hate the new version.
WoM was a really fun ride. Unfortunately, there are no good videos of the ride because none of the high tech camera equipment was in operation during the time the WoM existed. There was so much detail that a single camera could not capture all of it, plus it was also way to dark to get good pictures. It certainly wasn't a thrill ride, but, I believe it had more AA's then any other dark ride in Disney and it was whimsical and fun. Don't judge it based on the You Tube submissions, they don't begin to do it justice.

I understand why people that never saw the original Imagination feel that the current one is good. That's fine, all things are relative, but, believe me it pales by comparison. Horizons was good, but, had a limited number of times that it could be revisited before it just became a place to nap. The much heralded ending of the ride, was perhaps innovative, but, a long ways from being anything other then a let down, in my opinion. El Rio Del Tiempo was fun, but, to me, from the very beginning always just made me think of it as the Epcot version of "Small World". Boat ride, catchy music, tiny dolls dancing. It also amazes me how many anti "screen" people for some reason like it.

RSoxNo1

And then you've got the people that want to bring Dreamfinder back to Imagination. I understand that these fans sincerely mean well, but Ford thought the Edsel was a good idea too.

I'll boil it down to what people want vs. what they think they want.

Dreamfinder represents a better attraction, and was a better fit than Eric Idle for the attraction. That's our simplified thought process. Dreamfinder=good for the attraction, Eric Idle=bad for the attraction. The problem actually is Figment. It's not the same Figment as what was in the original, and that's because Dreamfinder isn't there either. Dreamfinder is responsible for adding "a dash of childish delight". Without it, Figment is the annoying kid that never hears "no" from his parents.

I think people would have accepted Dreamfinders removal, if the spirit of the original attraction was retained. It wasn't and people assume Disney can't maintain the spirit without Dreamfinder.

phi2134

WOM and horizons were bother extremely detailed, educational, and fun rides. These were some of my favorite rides when I was a kid. The scenes and overall ride experience easily eclipse anything in epcot today and I don't think anyone who hasn't experienced them could ever really appreciate the amazing rides they were. Tons of substance and purpose, no fluff.

Castle Cake Apologist

Yes, good point. Grainy 90's camcorder videos definitely do a dark ride justice. WoM was amazing and packed full of detail and Audio Animatronics. A true Disney dark ride in the style of classic Imagineering.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Bear in mind by 1992 the original opening contracts were due for renewal. As stipulated, renewal would also include the sponsor paying for upgrades.

Spaceship Earth:

AT&T renewed their sponsorship and forked out for the upgrades as per the contract. A demonstration of what could have happened with Horizons.

Energy:

Exxon wanted an update with more current (1996) information. They had two choices - futuristic or game show. Ellen was newly contracted to ABC and the synergy (not to mention promotion of a new ABC show) was persuasive. I've posted some art from the proposed future version in the past. A missed opportunity.

Horizons:

Horizons needed updating. Everything from control and ride systems to scene decor and animatronics. Eisner was keen for a SSE ‘94 style update of Horizons. GE declined to pay what was required. So they pulled out on their ten year anniversary and Disney then decided they wouldn't fund it either. Proposed space overlays came and went with no sponsor, seasonal operation saved operating costs until an answer could be found, enter Compaq who wanted a thrill ride and offered to pay to build one. Disney said "sure, but it needs to go here and you also need to pay to remove the existing building". In a nutshell.

Motion:

GM wanted something hip and hi tech to attract the untapped younger car market. WOM was expensive to maintain so they also wanted something cheaper to run. Test Track was offered to them in 1993. If they got either of their wishes is debatable.

Imagination:

Again, Kodak wanted something modern but cheaper. JII was also expensive to maintain and issues with the rotating introduction scene and ride control system had never been fully resolved. The solution was rip out the troublesome ride section and bring all the guest areas down to ground level. This of course meant shortening the ride too. Two birds with one stone. Eisner was furious after his first ride of Journey into Your Imagination. Kodak. Where are you now.

The Land:

Kraft declined to renew sponsorship and Nestle moved in, part funding the pavilion renovation and swapping Kitchen Kabaret for the hip and trendy Food Rocks. An demonstration of the risk of using pop culture.

Cesar R M

Bear in mind by 1992 the original opening contracts were due for renewal. As stipulated, renewal would also include the sponsor paying for upgrades.

Spaceship Earth:

AT&T renewed their sponsorship and forked out for the upgrades as per the contract. A demonstration of what could have happened with Horizons.

Energy:

Exxon wanted an update with more current (1996) information. They had two choices - futuristic or game show. Ellen was newly contracted to ABC and the synergy (not to mention promotion of a new ABC show) was persuasive. I've posted some art from the proposed future version in the past. A missed opportunity.

Horizons:

Horizons needed updating. Everything from control and ride systems to scene decor and animatronics. Eisner was keen for a SSE ‘94 style update of Horizons. GE declined to pay what was required. So they pulled out on their ten year anniversary and Disney then decided they wouldn't fund it either. Proposed space overlays came and went with no sponsor, seasonal operation saved operating costs until an answer could be found, enter Compaq who wanted a thrill ride and offered to pay to build one. Disney said "sure, but it needs to go here and you also need to pay to remove the existing building". In a nutshell.

Motion:

GM wanted something hip and hi tech to attract the untapped younger car market. WOM was expensive to maintain so they also wanted something cheaper to run. Test Track was offered to them in 1993. If they got either of their wishes is debatable.

Imagination:

Again, Kodak wanted something modern but cheaper. JII was also expensive to maintain and issues with the rotating introduction scene and ride control system had never been fully resolved. The solution was rip out the troublesome ride section and bring all the guest areas down to ground level. This of course meant shortening the ride too. Two birds with one stone. Eisner was furious after his first ride of Journey into Your Imagination. Kodak. Where are you now.

The Land:

Kraft declined to renew sponsorship and Nestle moved in, part funding the pavilion renovation and swapping Kitchen Kabaret for the hip and trendy Food Rocks. An demonstration of the risk of using pop culture.
despite how much money nestle makes.. I find the state of THE LAND deplorable..
the double doors dont work, animatronics dont work, rain effect barely work, lights off. The saving part is always the greenhouse.
so much to see.

MerlinTheGoat

I actually think Chiquita are the ones that are currently sponsoring the Living with the Land ride.

But yes the ride is in quite poor condition currently. Greenhouse is usually kept in good condition at least (has to be though), but the inside has been a mess for several years now. The recent short refurb didn't fix anything show related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom