Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar R M

I'd used the terms like "nostalgic" & "romanticized" versus "stereotyped". And that's exactly what it should be.

Modernism, Internationalism, Migration and Globalization over the last 60 years have made the world vastly more homogenized place, pushing the distinct regional architecture and culture that has defined humanity since its beginning towards extinction. That's why newer buildings/towns/cities, whether they are in China, Brazil, Germany, South Africa or America, generally look blandly similar, replete with townhouses, Hondas, McDonalds, Nike and Levis.
tumblr_m9x5k8kklm1qfotozo1_500.jpg

Why would you pay to see present-day global culture when it is right outside your door. Most famous tourist destinations like Venice or the Serengeti are less and less "real" and more aimed at delivering that ideal in art, architecture, nature, culture and history that people come searching for. In an odd way, these real places are becoming theme-park-like.

That makes World Showcase a cousin of Main Street in its exercise of nostalgia and romanticism, tended by smiling exchange students from around the world. It is an optimistic view of a world we hoped once existed (and may still be out there).
The housing issue is happening a lot in my country as well.
with the insane rising costs, now middle class can barely buy a normal custom home.
these prefabricated mass built houses now cost a million and half. (when they used to cost half a million on local currency)

Florida_is_hot

The thing that annoys me about the Frozen thing .... is the movie will be forgotten soon.
The girls that Disney sold the movie to are growing.

But I guess having attractions based on forgotten movies is not new to Disney.
Song of the South = Splash Mountain.

The old attraction and film were watered down stereotype sure no more that any other country in the "World Showcase".

Goofyernmost

Perhaps they got turned off with the first wave of cheap "enhancements" from 93-99? Of course, assuming you believe that numbers were so drastically down.
My statements of numbers are based on what my eyes saw when I was there, they are based on lines the once ran outside the buildings in spite of people eating attractions and massive internal queues. I cannot back it up, but apparently you can back up your implications with the actual numbers. You could be right. I don't know, I just know that after a few years the place didn't generate the excitement it did in the beginning. It also doesn't imply that anymore have been added because of the change. Many of those changes were less then stellar. There is also a possibility that the real numbers were declining based on the "actual" number of guests arriving at WDW and then not necessarily going to Epcot. The biggest problem might even have been that they no longer wanted to deal with the realities of science and technology which changes from day to day, and decided to change the focus.

The point of everything I have been saying is it changed and it was (and still is) Disney's prerogative to do so. If we are so damn smart why aren't we in charge of stuff like that. It's easy to look backwards and see faults. How many of us, however, are able to look forward with any degree of real accuracy.

You know Martin, I have in the past stated that I admired your dedication to Disney and the films and history that you have provided, but, lately your tendency to make snide, degrading and giggly responses with no effort to explain their relevance has gotten me to feel a lot less enamored. I know you don't care, but, really you should be better then this. Right or wrong I at least try and explain why I feel a certain way instead of just saying things and then assuming that everyone will consider them gospel.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You know Martin, I have in the past stated that I admired your dedication to Disney and the films and history that you have provided, but, lately your tendency to make snide, degrading and giggly responses with no effort to explain their relevance has gotten me to feel a lot less enamored. .
I offered all the proof I could about the Dwarf Coaster and the previous, larger versions but still you chose to protest they didn't exist. Save for posting an actual blueprint. From then on I decided I could do no right with you I'm afraid. But I will still attempt to correct misleading posts - from anyone - and perhaps not purposely misleading - that are either wrong or posted as fact when they're not. I'm sorry they come across as degrading or rude though.

By all means feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this as opposed to possibly clogging up the thread.

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

The thing that annoys me about the Frozen thing .... is the movie will be forgotten soon.

The old attraction and film were watered down stereotype sure no more that any other country in the "World Showcase".
Yes, thats why little mermaid, lion king, and even mickey mouse are now forgotten. The kids who enjoyed them when they were released are grown up.

boufa

I cannot honestly say that I "like" any of the the movies that support the IPs of the attractions. As I am typing this I can't think of any, except... Toy Story, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, parts of the great movie ride of course, and thats it. Good rides, good story telling, will be an experience worth having, regardless of the strength of the source material.

Back on topic... any updates on construction or opening dates?

Phil12

They removed those attractions. If they were doing boffo business they'd still be there and drawing in huge crowds. Instead those attractions lost their popularity and were pulled. Neither GM nor GE wanted to sponsor attractions that had such low popularity and they pulled their sponsorship. You can be sure that if they were still very popular their respective sponsors would have continued. As we know, GM decided to go with Test Track. I can personally recall having ridden both Horizons and WOM and being the only person on the ride from start to finish. Both rides were commercials for their respective sponsors (GM and GE) and the public got sick of the commercial pitches. But I did like seeing that Pontiac Star Chief in WOM!

Incomudro

Just because you are using the term 'suspension of disbelief' instead of 'ignore' doesn't change that suspension of disbelief is actually a concept that is not supposed to be voluntary. You're just making up a new meaning to fit your dismissal of the entire concept.

I willingly suspended my disbelief when I noticed that the Nautilus was not actually diving, the surface of the water remained just above the portholes, and a bubble curtain rose around the sub.
Suspended my disbelief when I saw that most of the sea life didn't move at all, and floated statically on lines.
Loved it all just the same.

lazyboy97o

I willingly suspended my disbelief when I noticed that the Nautilus was not actually diving, the surface of the water remained just above the portholes, and a bubble curtain rose around the sub.
Suspended my disbelief when I saw that most of the sea life didn't move at all, and floated statically on lines.
Loved it all just the same.
No, you ignored those elements and accepted the construct of the storytelling medium. Those aren't part of the narrative, where suspension of disbelief comes into play. There is nothing to disbelieve about seeing fish on a submarine.

Goofyernmost

No, you ignored those elements and accepted the construct of the storytelling medium. Those aren't part of the narrative, where suspension of disbelief comes into play. There is nothing to disbelieve about seeing fish on a submarine.
Right you see plastic fish all the time on a submarine. In actuality you are the one that is forcing this subject. "Suspension of disbelief" is a broad term and in the case of entertainment it can be involuntary or voluntary. If we want to believe it we will. Anyone, that has reached the age of reason has to voluntarily suspend it, whether you call it ignore or any other word you care to use. If as an adult you cannot tell quickly what is reality and what isn't, you have some serious problems and I have an ocean front property in Arizona you might be interested in purchasing.

Children, because of a lessor degree of awareness (innocence, if you will) can and do involuntarily suspend disbelief, but, even then they are not suspending anything, they are just identifying what they see as reality.

lazyboy97o

Right you see plastic fish all the time on a submarine. In actuality you are the one that is forcing this subject. "Suspension of disbelief" is a broad term and in the case of entertainment it can be involuntary or voluntary. If we want to believe it we will. Anyone, that has reached the age of reason has to voluntarily suspend it, whether you call it ignore or any other word you care to use. If as an adult you cannot tell quickly what is reality and what isn't, you have some serious problems and I have an ocean front property in Arizona you might be interested in purchasing.

Children, because of a lessor degree of awareness (innocence, if you will) can and do involuntarily suspend disbelief, but, even then they are not suspending anything, they are just identifying what they see as reality.
No, what you all keep missing is that suspension of disbelief has nothing to do with being able to recognize fiction. That is completely unrelated. It describes the opposite of disbelief, when an audience already aware that they are engaging in fiction suddenly questions the premise. The STORY of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea never had anything to do with plastic fish or fake submarines, those were merely the props used to tell the story. Suspension of disbelief is a reaction to story, not the medium.

Chris82

If you look back at the great attractions of the 90's (Tower of Terror, original Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure), you'll notice that there's a decided effort to make these attractions accessible to people who have no familiarity with the source material. In a way, I'd be much happier if Disney did base more attractions on forgotten movies, because it would mean they would be more likely to have an appeal other than franchise recognition. Will Frozen bring anything to the table other than its franchise? I hope so, but the temptation to rely exclusively on the recogition factor might be very powerful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom