Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride (Part 2)

Nickels5

I can't answer for Marni but I know the ride, specfically Orlandos, version has a queue that seems longer then the ride. The ride is a complete carbon copy of the one in California and they didn't even bother to fix some of the effects and errors of the old one. (Visible walls, catwalks etc.) I will give them the credit that they added the black lights.

There is more but I got to get back to work so I'll have to continue later.
I understand the ride isn't perfect and the queue definitely is long, but at the same time its beautiful. I think they just overshot how popular the ride was going to be, it happens. I cant wait to ride Frozen though I am going in September and it still seems so far away.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
At Epcot there is water running in waterfall fashion. I will try to upload a picture later

Something about you saying, "in waterfall fashion" gave me a good laugh... thanks for that. Would be cool to either see some greenery in the area so it looks a little more natural with all the bare rock work or carry the water "source" up to top, so it flows from higher point, pools and then drops.

Last edited:

Mike S

Can I ask why you don't like Mermaid? I think its a great ride, sure there could be more but I think it fits the bill nicely.
The queue experience in Magic Kingdom definitely sets you up for something grander. Getting to the ride itself which is practically the same on both coasts it feels like one of the old Fantasyland dark rides stretched out. When I go on a ride of that length and size I'm expecting something like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, etc. Then there's the problems of exposed lighting, blank walls (very easy to notice this before Ursula's lair), and the rushed ending that have been mentioned ad nauseam on this site. I would actually put it below Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland which is my favorite Fantasyland style dark ride out of both resorts. I would say I even enjoyed WDW's version of Snow White more. Both of these rides deliver exactly what one would expect out of them. Scuttle and Ursula are great AAs but the ride overall feels like it under delivers for its size. It's ok but that's about it. Hope that helps explain my position.

Goofyernmost

I agree that it could, if you go back in history, be in the wrong place, but, that is where it is, so we might as well get over it and judge it on its own merits and not on how we view the location. If we were to admit it to ourselves, Norway was a crashing bore from the moment it opened. I find it no great loss. The only partially interesting thing in the pavilion was Maelstrom and that wasn't much either. I don't have an attraction to the entire Frozen franchise, but, millions of people do, so I will allow them to have something to enjoy as well.

ToTBellHop

I agree that it could, if you go back in history, be in the wrong place, but, that is where it is, so we might as well get over it and judge it on its own merits and not on how we view the location. If we were to admit it to ourselves, Norway was a crashing bore from the moment it opened. I find it no great loss. The only partially interesting thing in the pavilion was Maelstrom and that wasn't much either. I don't have an attraction to the entire Frozen franchise, but, millions of people do, so I will allow them to have something to enjoy as well.
FEA will certainly be very successful and popular. I was never in the crotchety "hell no! I'll never ride this because it doesn't belong!" camp. Based upon initial commentary, I have thre FPs for this now. It'll be nice to finally have something new at Epcot this summer.

aladdin2007

How was it a bore? It was the only pavilion to have one of everything. A ride, a film, an exhibit, a playground for awhile, a bakery, a restaurant, a shop, a tourism desk back in the day, a second movie upstairs for those that signed up for free. It served its purpose well, it was about Norway after all as it was intended. Now not so much, and that is what is at loss here.

Biff215

You have zero concept of money.
Fairly sure we can assume they meant $50 million, although that might be low the way WDI spends these days.

$125 million does sound crazy for Frozen, but again not surprising. Hard to believe they saved much money or time by repurposing Maelstrom.

Still looking forward to checking it out next month, know my kids will love it regardless.

Horizons1

Offensive? Have you seen it in person yet?
It works pretty well IMO the last few times I've been over there.
Obviously color is very subjective. But I'm glad they went with an authentic scheme.
I have. It is visually OFFENENSIVE and just plain ugly. Thanks.

And it's not just the color. Why is that a building with wooden siding thrown up against a stone castle? It doesn't make sense visually. It's a jarring transition. There's no segue or subtlety from one texture to another. It has the appearance of just being thrown up. Now the main entrance and the building facade to the right look very nice. But that's because they blend with the castle behind and with each other. The wooden siding does not blend with either.

the-reason14

The queue experience in Magic Kingdom definitely sets you up for something grander. Getting to the ride itself which is practically the same on both coasts it feels like one of the old Fantasyland dark rides stretched out. When I go on a ride of that length and size I'm expecting something like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, etc. Then there's the problems of exposed lighting, blank walls (very easy to notice this before Ursula's lair), and the rushed ending that have been mentioned ad nauseam on this site. I would actually put it below Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland which is my favorite Fantasyland style dark ride out of both resorts. I would say I even enjoyed WDW's version of Snow White more. Both of these rides deliver exactly what one would expect out of them. Scuttle and Ursula are great AAs but the ride overall feels like it under delivers for its size. It's ok but that's about it. Hope that helps explain my position.

It took me a little while to figure out the "problem" with the little mermaid ride. It isn't a bad ride on it's own, and the one in DCA I think is set up just a little better because the que line is as bland and boring as the actual ride, whereas the one in MK like you said is presented as if the ride is much better then it is. You go into it expecting something like the haunted mansion, or Pirates, yet you get something like winnie the pooh and other classic dark rides, but it just doesn't capture the same charm as those original dark rides. What I've noticed is the dark rides like Pinocchio, Snow White, and Toad out in DL, do a better job of putting you in the movie. Being in the movie is what those original dark rides sought to accomplish, and they did. Granted some of them loosely follow their respected movies, they still do a good job of putting you right there in the middle of the action. Mermaid doesn't do this. It basically tells you the story in physical form, you don't really feel like you're in the movie the way you are when you're in the forest running away from the evil queen, or in pleasure island in pinocchio. It tries to follow the story exactly but the ending is so abrupt it just doesn't work. At one point the lines were long in the MK but from what I hear that's rarely the case now. With a line like that, it needs a ride to follow up. It needs a pirates of the Caribbean type of adventure, not a winnie the pooh. If any of that makes sense.

Goofyernmost

I have. It is visually OFFENENSIVE and just plain ugly. Thanks.

And it's not just the color. Why is that a building with wooden siding thrown up against a stone castle? It doesn't make sense visually. It's a jarring transition. There's no segue or subtlety from one texture to another. It has the appearance of just being thrown up. Now the main entrance and the building facade to the right look very nice. But that's because they blend with the castle behind and with each other. The wooden siding does not blend with either.
And it is like you would actually see it in many parts of Europe. Not all nations have our same architectural requirements.

Goofyernmost

How was it a bore? It was the only pavilion to have one of everything. A ride, a film, an exhibit, a playground for awhile, a bakery, a restaurant, a shop, a tourism desk back in the day, a second movie upstairs for those that signed up for free. It served its purpose well, it was about Norway after all as it was intended. Now not so much, and that is what is at loss here.
Because to me and many others that is what it was. Just because it had stuff doesn't mean it had good stuff. Nothing in the place interested me, not the food, not the movie, certainly not the playground and I don't go to Disney to buy stuff from their overpriced stores, so the only thing marginally interesting was the ride and back when watching the movie was required, I stopped going to it. It is a loss only to those that liked it. It really never drew me in and told me that I should go to Norway because it was a fascinating place. It was OK, it wasn't a totally awful experience, just not an exciting and interesting one for many of us.

I get it now. So dense. I thought it was a new shop or something.

"dstrawn9889, post: 7264759, member: 87140"]at the time i wrote that the name hadnt been announced... but i still call innoventions 'Communicore East and West'... so there you go[/QUOTE]

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Because to me and many others that is what it was. Just because it had stuff doesn't mean it had good stuff..

In all fairness to many others it wasn't. Either way it's a crying shame that Maelstrom never got its proposed upgrade to possibly make even those who didn't like it change their opinion, and that instead we got this here.

The projection screen effects are pretty good though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom