No Pixie Hollow???

JohnLocke

I do think that the Magic Kingdom could use another thrill ride, but I agree - it's not the park to put in an ultra intense attraction. You mentioned capacity, and a new thrill ride would help that because it is actually an issue that needs to be addressed. However your point is well taken. A thrill ride of the scope of Everest would not have the same effect on the Magic Kingdom as it did to the Animal Kingdom.

I also agree that the MK is the park of least need right now, but it is the park that is currently getting additions. I do like the scaled back look of DL's PH, but I just don't see the need to have as massive a section as it appears to be for WDW's version. I just think the discussions gotten away from land use and into what each park needs. I think if they do PH, they have to some kind of attraction to go along with it. My wish is that they would make a dark ride coaster, much like Universal's The Mummy, but whatever direction they go, I just think one additional attraction should be added.

RSoxNo1

The Magic Kingdom definitely needed things to add capacity. The Be Our Guest Restaurant serves as a major need, and while at D23 it was sold as a hybrid Counter Service/Table Service that seems to be up in the air at this time. It's size is 3-4 times that of Cinderella's Royal Table so it really helps the dining capacity issue.

Add in another popular omnimover and this addition will help ease the congestion. It was definitely needed, as the Magic Kingdom was the park that had the biggest capacity issues.

However, there's a difference between needing capacity added and needing attractions added. Animal Kingdom needs more things to do so it needs attractions added to the park. While that would serve the purpose of adding to the park's capacity, that park isn't really "bursting at the seams" like the Magic Kingdom.

cheezbat

Animal Kingdom is the park that needs multiple additions the most, but you guys also aren't realizing that while AK needs them the most, which park will always be the most attended and the BIGGEST MONEYMAKER? The Magic Kingdom. I highly doubt that will ever change, since that is the park everyone thinks of when they think Disney World. The company is going to invest in the parks that make more in hopes of making even more money from them.

Personally, I want to see another E-ticket added to the Magic Kingdom. I also want to see one added to Hollywood Studios, as well as a whole new land to Animal Kingdom, a few new countries to Epcot, and some new slides to both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon, but let's be honest...Disney really is only into adding new stuff when they deem necessary nowdays. We can all dream of four COMPLETE parks and 2 complete waterparks, but I dont see that day on the horizon for another 10-20 years sadly.

RSoxNo1

While Gaston's Tavern, Cinderella's attraction, Belle's attraction, and Aurora's attraction may be on the bubble, at this time they all seem to be more likely than any replacement attraction/restaurant.

SeaCastle

It is my opinion that in the future, after Disneyland receives its capacity-adding E-tickets, its number of annual visitors will increase, and encroach upon (if not surpass) the Magic Kingdom's numbers. If that happens, TDO will be forced to undergo a corporate cllimate change, and only then will we see things change for the better. (And again, this is pure speculation.)

Ragetti

You will when you see the completed version at DCA.

I duuno... Cars just doesn't have anything LIKE the pop culture impact of Potter. Potter appeals to kids, teens, young adults, and even some more <ahem> mature adults. Cars? Yeah a little, but NEARLY as much. The only options for Disney to REALLY counter Potter would be to get an equvelent pop culture impact property. POTC probably isn't the answer. It kinda jumped the shark the last film, but perhaps the new film will get it back on track. An association with Lord of the Rings would do it, but as I understand it, the rights are very complicated, and it's unlikely to happen. Maybe Disney could deepen ties with Lucas. Star was and is HUGE. Star Wars Land at DHS would be a monster hit.

TP2000

It is my opinion that in the future, after Disneyland receives its capacity-adding E-tickets, its number of annual visitors will increase, and encroach upon (if not surpass) the Magic Kingdom's numbers. If that happens, TDO will be forced to undergo a corporate cllimate change, and only then will we see things change for the better. (And again, this is pure speculation.)

Disneyland has surpassed annual Magic Kingdom attendance in the past, on several occasions. It's not inconceivable that it could do so again in the future, as the different attendance patterns wax and wane on both coasts.

Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are often neck and neck anyway. However, with World of Color being the huge hit it is this year and DCA attendance increasing, it might be siphoning some attendance from Disneyland this year.

But in the 1990's there were several years when Disneyland attendance surpassed Magic Kingdom, and it caused no culture change.

jt04

I duuno... Cars just doesn't have anything LIKE the pop culture impact of Potter. Potter appeals to kids, teens, young adults, and even some more <ahem> mature adults. Cars? Yeah a little, but NEARLY as much. The only options for Disney to REALLY counter Potter would be to get an equvelent pop culture impact property. POTC probably isn't the answer. It kinda jumped the shark the last film, but perhaps the new film will get it back on track. An association with Lord of the Rings would do it, but as I understand it, the rights are very complicated, and it's unlikely to happen. Maybe Disney could deepen ties with Lucas. Star was and is HUGE. Star Wars Land at DHS would be a monster hit.

I think Disney would be making a mistake going against Potter with a single concept/franchise. Rather they should continue to add content in all the parks. FLE is just the first step in my opinion. Since Potter is mainly geared to the 10 and above crowd, Disney "counter-programmed" with an offering mainly for guests with children under 10. My praise for the FLE is based on what I think is a brilliant first step.

lebeau

I think Disney would be making a mistake going against Potter with a single concept/franchise. Rather they should continue to add content in all the parks. FLE is just the first step in my opinion. Since Potter is mainly geared to the 10 and above crowd, Disney "counter-programmed" with an offering mainly for guests with children under 10. My praise for the FLE is based on what I think is a brilliant first step.

Disney took a wait and see attitude towards Potter. We are told they have plans. They just haven't acted on them (at least not openly).

FLE has nothing to do with Potter. It was going to happen regardless of Potter to answer the park's capacity problems.

There seem to be some rumblings of activity in the rumor mill these days. Maybe Disney is finally responding to Potter. But nothing that's been announced so far is a "first step" to anything.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Disney took a wait and see attitude towards Potter. We are told they have plans. They just haven't acted on them (at least not openly).

FLE has nothing to do with Potter. It was going to happen regardless of Potter to answer the park's capacity problems.

There seem to be some rumblings of activity in the rumor mill these days. Maybe Disney is finally responding to Potter. But nothing that's been announced so far is a "first step" to anything.

Considering how successful WWoHP has seemed to be so far, I'm actually surprised there's not more grist in the rumor mill right now. :rolleyes:

NiarrNDisney

The Magic Kingdom definitely needed things to add capacity. The Be Our Guest Restaurant serves as a major need, and while at D23 it was sold as a hybrid Counter Service/Table Service that seems to be up in the air at this time. It's size is 3-4 times that of Cinderella's Royal Table so it really helps the dining capacity issue.

I just don't understand why they feel the need to make this large restaurant when they have the Diamond Horseshoe that would be wonderful if they turned it into some "Hybrid" CS/Table Service with a show featuring the Princess & the Frog and other charecters in some show capacity. Also Just Around the River Bend (sorry couldn't help myself) they have a closed restaurant (Adventureland Terrace) and a seasonal dining place (El Pirata y el Perico) that could be used as some sort of charecter dining option featuring Pirates of the Carribean or other freinds as well. I get that Cinderella's Royal Table is incredible popular but why go out and spend a fortune when there are palces that could be used in some other capacity? Just saying!

RSoxNo1

I don't think they're going at it with one franchise for the reasons that you mentioned. As we've discussed on here, it's all about marketing so they're going at it with Princesses and Fairies as well as potentially Cars and Tron down the road (the latter two are speculation at this point).

I just don't understand why they feel the need to make this large restaurant when they have the Diamond Horseshoe that would be wonderful if they turned it into some "Hybrid" CS/Table Service with a show featuring the Princess & the Frog and other charecters in some show capacity. Also Just Around the River Bend (sorry couldn't help myself) they have a closed restaurant (Adventureland Terrace) and a seasonal dining place (El Pirata y el Perico) that could be used as some sort of charecter dining option featuring Pirates of the Carribean or other freinds as well. I get that Cinderella's Royal Table is incredible popular but why go out and spend a fortune when there are palces that could be used in some other capacity? Just saying!

There's a few problems with that, and a few advantages of Be Our Guest. None of the current restaurants were ever designed with character dining in mind. Be Our Guest will accomplish that with Living Character Initiative characters as well as Belle and The Beast. While I agree that the closed restaurants in the Magic Kingdom should be re-opened, or at least re-purposed into something functional, Be Our Guest serves a very significant purpose.

I'd suggest listening to my show that comes out on Sunday because we discuss this very thing.

misterID

Yeah, definitely, if FLE was part of a multi park project, that included AK and EPCOT with ST2 and TLM and the rest of the FLE, that would have been brilliant. And from what I've read on here thanks to Lee and Marni, that's exactly what WDI had planned. I don't think that was ever seriously in TDO's mind, though.

But I think like Rsox has pointed out before, the real golden egg with Potter was Merchandise, and I don't think FLE or Carsland will even come close to matching Potters merch sales.

JohnLocke

Beauty and the Beast is one of Disney's most popular movies, and perhaps the most popular of the Princess ones, having a nice Beauty and the Beast section in FL with what looks to be two very well-themed restaurants should turn out pretty nicely.

RSoxNo1

Listening now...

Very interesting listening!

Thanks. Jim has been a great sport with us, and rest assured, outside of our show construct we have pointedly asked him about his track record. We touch upon it on this week's show and like it or not, his answer is valid.

When discussing rumors you can't deal in absolutes. With regards to Fantasyland, the information that's out there on this site right now seems to be accurate. There are other things being discussed for the Toontown/Pixie Hollow area, but they are far from definite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom