No Pixie Hollow???

Grizzly Hall 71

Yeah, that would be extremely boring.

MK - Slow Dark Rides
AK - Animals
DHS - Shows
EPCOT - Edutainment

Parks need variety, so thrill rides belong in MK as much as they belong in all other parks on the property. Without varierty, there is boredom.

Thank you! I don't understand why people believe another thrill ride doesn't belong in MK. That makes no sense to me.

Grizzly Hall 71

What attraction hasn't?

Uhhh all of Philhare magic, Peter pan, small world, snow white, winne the pooh, dumbo, cinderella's carousel, all of toontown, the train ride, jungle cruise, Tom Sawyer island, liberty belle, country bear, Monster's Inc., Stitch, TTA, Carousel of Progress, Swiis Family, Carpets of Aladdin, Tiki Room.

That's more than half of the park.

AEfx

I understand that but when Mattehorn opended Walt knew that the entire family couldn't ride. I find it strange DL has 5 thrill rides while Mk have 3 and they have the same policy about doing family things together.

I find it stranger that people have this automatic assumption that all families have toddlers.

You can never appeal to EVERYONE, but children are only infants/toddlers for a few years. They are children and young adults much longer. And while there are some that choose to bring babies and toddlers to WDW, when I am there I see more school-aged children than I see babies and toddlers.

Making a ride that appeals to many age groups and "families" does not automatically mean baby/toddler appropriate rides.

Buzzforprez

Toontown is still gone, I think, even if PH is shelved. I believe a big chunk of Toontown is where The Little Mermaid and Dumbo sections are going to go, but I may be mistaken.

Maybe we are gonna get another Pooh tree in the area of Toontown or they will just move the tree back over there. :sohappy: oh joy:cool:

TP2000

It seems to me that a corner of FLE could still be carved out for the Pixie Hollow meet n' greet area. The Pixie Hollow at Disneyland is quite popular, and rather attractive. It doesn't take up a lot of space (like most things at compact Disneyland), and it serves its purpose quite well and quite stylishly. A landscaped, winding queue leads around a small lagoon, and up into giant blades of grass where the pixies play. And after you've meeted and greeted them, you exit out to a gift cart. Small and compact, but stylish and whimsical and fun.

pixie-hollow-sign.jpg

DSCF2619.jpg
triton_pixiehollow22008ah.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg
3471874491_3c83f329c9.jpg

With a nifty water show out in the Pixie Hollow lagoon at night, just for fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXhllMnMPbE&feature=related

This all only takes up a tiny, little corner of the park, about 100 feet wide by 50 feet deep.

Why does the Pixie Hollow of WDW's FLE have to be some big, massive area, an official Phase Two of some huge capital improvement project? Why not go the Disneyland route and wedge an utterly charming and clever little area into a hidden corner somewhere, and open it without a national marketing campaign? And at night, bring it to life with lighted trees and a musical water show every 15 minutes! It works in Disneyland, so why couldn't it work at WDW?

lebeau

Uhhh all of Philhare magic, Peter pan, small world, snow white, winne the pooh, dumbo, cinderella's carousel, all of toontown, the train ride, jungle cruise, Tom Sawyer island, liberty belle, country bear, Monster's Inc., Stitch, TTA, Carousel of Progress, Swiis Family, Carpets of Aladdin, Tiki Room.

That's more than half of the park.

I've seen plenty of teens at all of the attractions you just mentioned.

Fail.

lebeau

Let me sum up the whole "Disney needs thrill rides to appeal to teens" thing so I can move on.

1. Not all teens like thrill rides.
2. WDW and MK offer lots of rides that appeal to all age groups.
3. Even if teenagers only liked thrill rides, it would not be wise for Disney to base their designs around appealing to one demographic.
4. The demo in question (teenage thrill seekers - presumably male) have thrill parks to visit all over the country.
5. This same demo has a stigma about Disney. If Disney built the greatest coaster park in the world, but called it Disney's Thrill Park, a lot of teens wouldn't give it a second look because of the Disney name.

Disney is what it is. They specialize in entertainment for the whole family. That includes thrill rides, but thrill rides have always been a relatively small piece of the formula. Never the focus. If thrill rides are the only thing that interest you, you would be better served by another company.

Seriously, Islands of Adventure is a marvelously themed park. It is up to Disney standards in every way. But it is focused on thrill rides. The teen thrill-seeker demo is always going to choose IoA over Disney. Disney shouldn't waste their time and resources making a play for this crowd.

Instead, Disney's going to continue focus on the "all ages" approach. Rides that grandparents can ride with their grandkids. They are going to throw in some thrill rides to fill out the roster. But Disney parks will never be designed for people who just want to ride thrill rides all day. That's not Disney.

Finally, I don't think anyone is against another thrill ride in MK. As fans, I think we would all be for it. But you have to look at it from a business perspective. Putting a big thrill ride in MK (the most attended park which sometimes closes due to capacity issues) while you have parks with much lower attendance like DHS and DAK makes no sense at all.

If you're Disney and you've got the budget to put in a new e-ticket, you want to get the most bang for your buck. Putting that e-ticket in MK will not generate as much ticket sales as putting it in a park people might otherwise skip. A single e-ticket might turn DHS or DAK from a half-day park (for some) into a full day park. It might cause a family to extend their vacation.

And let's be real, a thrill park at MK will always be relatively tame anyway. How many thrill junkies really think Splash Mountain is a thrill? If you are bored by Pirates and Haunted Mansion, the Mountains really aren't going to be that big of a draw anyway. And one more excellent themed but relatively tame thrill ride isn't going to change your mind about the park.

Grizzly Hall 71, I understand that obviously these rides appeal to you. And I guess none of the other rides at MK do. But I think you are mistaken in generalizing your feelings to your entire generation. Most teens fall into two camps:

1. Those who like Disney (and while they might enoy another mountain-style thrill ride at MK they don't need it to continue enjoying the parks).

2. Those who think Disney is lame (and one more family-style thrill ride won't matter to them one bit).

I understand that you are in a third category. But I think the vast majority of teens fit into one of the first two.

ryanduggers

Let me sum up the whole "Disney needs thrill rides to appeal to teens" thing so I can move on.

1. Not all teens like thrill rides.
2. WDW and MK offer lots of rides that appeal to all age groups.
3. Even if teenagers only liked thrill rides, it would not be wise for Disney to base their designs around appealing to one demographic.
4. The demo in question (teenage thrill seekers - presumably male) have thrill parks to visit all over the country.
5. This same demo has a stigma about Disney. If Disney built the greatest coaster park in the world, but called it Disney's Thrill Park, a lot of teens wouldn't give it a second look because of the Disney name.

Disney is what it is. They specialize in entertainment for the whole family. That includes thrill rides, but thrill rides have always been a relatively small piece of the formula. Never the focus. If thrill rides are the only thing that interest you, you would be better served by another company.

Seriously, Islands of Adventure is a marvelously themed park. It is up to Disney standards in every way. But it is focused on thrill rides. The teen thrill-seeker demo is always going to choose IoA over Disney. Disney shouldn't waste their time and resources making a play for this crowd.

Instead, Disney's going to continue focus on the "all ages" approach. Rides that grandparents can ride with their grandkids. They are going to throw in some thrill rides to fill out the roster. But Disney parks will never be designed for people who just want to ride thrill rides all day. That's not Disney.

Finally, I don't think anyone is against another thrill ride in MK. As fans, I think we would all be for it. But you have to look at it from a business perspective. Putting a big thrill ride in MK (the most attended park which sometimes closes due to capacity issues) while you have parks with much lower attendance like DHS and DAK makes no sense at all.

If you're Disney and you've got the budget to put in a new e-ticket, you want to get the most bang for your buck. Putting that e-ticket in MK will not generate as much ticket sales as putting it in a park people might otherwise skip. A single e-ticket might turn DHS or DAK from a half-day park (for some) into a full day park. It might cause a family to extend their vacation.

And let's be real, a thrill park at MK will always be relatively tame anyway. How many thrill junkies really think Splash Mountain is a thrill? If you are bored by Pirates and Haunted Mansion, the Mountains really aren't going to be that big of a draw anyway. And one more excellent themed but relatively tame thrill ride isn't going to change your mind about the park.

Grizzly Hall 71, I understand that obviously these rides appeal to you. And I guess none of the other rides at MK do. But I think you are mistaken in generalizing your feelings to your entire generation. Most teens fall into two camps:

1. Those who like Disney (and while they might enoy another mountain-style thrill ride at MK they don't need it to continue enjoying the parks).

2. Those who think Disney is lame (and one more family-style thrill ride won't matter to them one bit).

I understand that you are in a third category. But I think the vast majority of teens fit into one of the first two.

I would agree to this. thread win.

Grizzly Hall 71

I've seen plenty of teens at all of the attractions you just mentioned.

Fail.

Not fail. How many were actually excited about riding? How many weren't on their phones when they were about to ride?

Just because they ride it doesn't mean that the ride was appaeling to them. They might be riding it cause their parents dragged them on.

lebeau

Not fail. How many were actually excited about riding? How many weren't on their phones when they were about to ride?

Just because they ride it doesn't mean that the ride was appaeling to them. They might be riding it cause their parents dragged them on.

I still say "fail".

See my big summary for a full explanation.

Grizzly Hall 71

1 Most teens do like thrill rides.
2. 3 for teens, 11 for little ones. Yup it sure is even.
3. Never said base their demo around them. All I said is one more thrill ride.
4. Six Flags isn't in every state. Washington?
5. Never said build a thrill park. Only a thrill ride.

Thrills rides aren't the only thing that interest this DVC member.

Disney would be wasting their time by investing in a new thrill ride?

Never said design a park filled with thrill rides for the 10th time. Just a thrill ride.

Disney is always going to show love to their Mk-style parks before the others. Look around the world (except Tokyo).

For the 11th time, never said add a THRILL PARK! Just a thrill ride in Mk. Geez like a thrill ride will destroy everything about Mk.

You can't say which categories teens belong in unless you are a teen. And what's this third category?

lebeau

1 Most teens do like thrill rides.
2. 3 for teens, 11 for little ones. Yup it sure is even.
3. Never said base their demo around them. All I said is one more thrill ride.
4. Six Flags isn't in every state. Washington?
5. Never said build a thrill park. Only a thrill ride.

1. I don't doubt that. I think most adults do too. But most Disney tourists also enjoy other attractions as well. If they don't, they would be better off going somehwere else.

2. Thrill rides aren't exclusively for teens. And the rest of the many, many attractions in the MK aren't made exclusively for little ones. All the attractions are there to appeal to a wide age range. You're thinking in the wrong terms. I think this is the primary flaw in your argument.

3. Your reasoning for the need to build one more thrill ride is the need to appeal to the teen/thrillrider demo. This is not a demo Disney should be courting.

4. IoA is as close to these states as MK is. If thrill rides are your thing, there will always be a better choice than MK.

5. I was just illustrating why courting teen/thrillseekers to MK wouldn't be a good idea for Disney.

Thrills rides aren't the only thing that interest this DVC member.
[/quoute]

Good. Then what's the problem? :shrug:

Disney would be wasting their time by investing in a new thrill ride?

They would get more bang for their buck building one at DAK or even DHS. As the most attended park, MK needs it the least.

Never said design a park filled with thrill rides for the 10th time. Just a thrill ride.

I get the distinction. I think you might be responding to a typo?

Disney is always going to show love to their Mk-style parks before the others. Look around the world (except Tokyo).

That's why MK hasn't gotten a new e-ticket since Splash Mountain? :shrug:

For the 11th time, never said add a THRILL PARK! Just a thrill ride in Mk. Geez like a thrill ride will destroy everything about Mk.

No one said a thrill ride at MK would destroy anything. In fact, I said I would be for it. But it's a relatively low priority. Other parks need it more. I'm not sure what part of that concept you're failing to grasp.

Explain to me why you feel a new thrill ride should be build at MK over DAK which has significantly lower attendance.

You can't say which categories teens belong in unless you are a teen. And what's this third category?

Ah youth. You'll find when you get older that this is not true at all. But I remember when I felt the same way. Things don't change from generation to generation nearly as much as teens think they do.

I'm sure there are a lot of categories beyond the two I mentioned. But they are all relatively small when compared to the two I covered.

I get that you want another thrill ride at MK. But you seem blinded by that desire to any reality that would indicate that Disney has higher priorities.

UberPlannerMom

It seems to me that a corner of FLE could still be carved out for the Pixie Hollow meet n' greet area. The Pixie Hollow at Disneyland is quite popular, and rather attractive. It doesn't take up a lot of space (like most things at compact Disneyland), and it serves its purpose quite well and quite stylishly. A landscaped, winding queue leads around a small lagoon, and up into giant blades of grass where the pixies play. And after you've meeted and greeted them, you exit out to a gift cart. Small and compact, but stylish and whimsical and fun

With a nifty water show out in the Pixie Hollow lagoon at night, just for fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXhllMnMPbE&feature=related

This all only takes up a tiny, little corner of the park, about 100 feet wide by 50 feet deep.

Why does the Pixie Hollow of WDW's FLE have to be some big, massive area, an official Phase Two of some huge capital improvement project? Why not go the Disneyland route and wedge an utterly charming and clever little area into a hidden corner somewhere, and open it without a national marketing campaign? And at night, bring it to life with lighted trees and a musical water show every 15 minutes! It works in Disneyland, so why couldn't it work at WDW?

That is lovely! How could anyone have a problem with that going in?

DisneyxImaginer

wana know something. parents wouldNT blow a thousand dollors to take a teen that dosent like disney to disney, your just a person who needs to leave the thread because your one of them or an adult who needs to understand the concept of disney, if you dont love the atmospher then you dont love it at all, your a disney killer so back off the kid cause you are a fail, ive been to diseny 14 times and i see kids and teens alike all intrested and entertained by every attraction in MK. SO KEEP YOUR OPINON TO YOURSELF

UberPlannerMom

Some people around here will not be satisfied by anything other than a thrill ride. :rolleyes:

I have seen that the past few days... personally, I think that if Disney were looking to add a new thrill ride to the world putting it in the magic kingdom would be an irresponsible choice. If you are going to put in a thrill ride it NEEDS to go to one of the other parks. My preference would actually be hollywood studios back in the area that has what... a single show for the entire area?

Grizzly Hall 71

I didn't know a dicussion on a thrill ride would lead to everyone to hating me. Wow I'm sorry I even came here to discuss this. I just wanted to share an opinion on a topic and discuss it with fellow Disney fans but I see no one cares about it.

lebeau

I didn't know a dicussion on a thrill ride would lead to everyone to hating me. Wow I'm sorry I even came here to discuss this. I just wanted to share an opinion on a topic and discuss it with fellow Disney fans but I see no one cares about it.

One poster got a little harsh with you. The rest of us just disagreed with you. Nobody hates you. Please continue to post your opinions.

But I would urge you to consider the points the rest of us are making.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom