No Pixie Hollow???

RSoxNo1

Now, I don't mean to be off topic, but I loved your podcast yesterday! It's like you guys read my mind on most topics. Also, I liked how ya'll were real about everything, what I mean is that you adore Disney, yet when they do something wrong you acknowledge that. Not like some other podcasts out there that simply say all the positive things about Disney and claim that EVERYTHING is great! I enjoyed the rants!

Thanks for the kind words. Most of our shows have been positive, but as I explained in the show, it's often easier to complain about things we love, than things we hate.

To everyone else reading this thread, it should also be noted that during the interview Jason Garcia intimated that the demand for this article was fueled by a WDW Magic user. I'll let that user toot his own horn, but he deserves all the credit for this becoming a major topic of debate. Bringing these types of issues to the public attention is important. And while we tend to complain in mass about trivial things, I refuse to believe this is a trivial thing.

Animal Kingdom has been neglected. Expedition Everest was a much needed, but ultimately overdue expansion to the park. What frustrates me is that each park opens up as a clean slate. Animal Kingdom had a clear expansion plan set up, but then it was changed and corners were cut almost immediately.

In 1999 when Kali River Rapids opened they leaved a huge expansion area inaccessible without serious modifications. To access this land now will require a much larger undertaking to the tune of either re-working the Wildlife Express Train or modifying the Maharajah Jungle Trek. I assume it will cost more to access this land now then it would have to used this land for a longer, more in depth Kali River Rapids.

In 2001/2002, Chester and Hester's Dinorama (or as I dubbed it, Artificial Capacity Land). Triceratop Spin opened in November of 2001 and Primeval Whirl opened in March of 2002. It's disheartening that every stateside Roller coaster built from 2000-2010 has issues with either being poorly themed or having major show elements not working. Chester and Hester is a temporary land that's a black eye on what is otherwise amazing theming in the Animal Kingdom. The area needs to be leveled for either an Australia themed area, or a dark ride or two devoted to other extinct animals. But again, it requires removing this area to build a better themed area that doesn't stand out as an eyesore. They also can't remove it because of the artificial capacity it creates.

In 2006, they built Expedition Everest and it was met with tremendous success. The coaster is amazing, but little things and one big thing really bother me about it. When you go into the backwards section of the ride, you can see the exposed steel. The interior doesn't need rock work theming, it's dark enough that it's unnecessary, but putting up some sheet rock, or $20 curtains from bed bath and beyond would do wonders to hide the exposed steel. I hear there are some curtains over at Spaceship Earth that could be available.

As for the Yeti, once again, they can't close the attraction to "fix it" much in the same way they can't shut down Dinorama to "fix it", or shut down the railroad and/or Maharajah Jungle Trek to add an expansion.

They had a plan and they ignored it, and now the park is suffering. It seems that before any of the aforementioned lands get "Fixed", the park needs another attendance boost. So that leaves Camp Minnie Mickey, but they can't close Festival of the Lion King can they? It's the most popular stage show in Disney World, they wouldn't dare close it... well, they tried to close Aladdin a Musical Spectacular in DCA, so I suppose it's possible. But of course we've heard talk of it moving to Africa (not sure I like that), or Conservation Station (I like this idea better). But if they move it to Conservation Station than you can't rely on the train to take you there, and it would be a ridiculous long walk otherwise.

Disney, you created these problems, now it's up to you to fix them.

DisneyParksFan1

Thanks for the kind words. Most of our shows have been positive, but as I explained in the show, it's often easier to complain about things we love, than things we hate.

To everyone else reading this thread, it should also be noted that during the interview Jason Garcia intimated that the demand for this article was fueled by a WDW Magic user. I'll let that user toot his own horn, but he deserves all the credit for this becoming a major topic of debate. Bringing these types of issues to the public attention is important. And while we tend to complain in mass about trivial things, I refuse to believe this is a trivial thing.

Animal Kingdom has been neglected. Expedition Everest was a much needed, but ultimately overdue expansion to the park. What frustrates me is that each park opens up as a clean slate. Animal Kingdom had a clear expansion plan set up, but then it was changed and corners were cut almost immediately.

In 1999 when Kali River Rapids opened they leaved a huge expansion area inaccessible without serious modifications. To access this land now will require a much larger undertaking to the tune of either re-working the Wildlife Express Train or modifying the Maharajah Jungle Trek. I assume it will cost more to access this land now then it would have to used this land for a longer, more in depth Kali River Rapids.

In 2001/2002, Chester and Hester's Dinorama (or as I dubbed it, Artificial Capacity Land). Triceratop Spin opened in November of 2001 and Primeval Whirl opened in March of 2002. It's disheartening that every stateside Roller coaster built from 2000-2010 has issues with either being poorly themed or having major show elements not working. Chester and Hester is a temporary land that's a black eye on what is otherwise amazing theming in the Animal Kingdom. The area needs to be leveled for either an Australia themed area, or a dark ride or two devoted to other extinct animals. But again, it requires removing this area to build a better themed area that doesn't stand out as an eyesore. They also can't remove it because of the artificial capacity it creates.

In 2006, they built Expedition Everest and it was met with tremendous success. The coaster is amazing, but little things and one big thing really bother me about it. When you go into the backwards section of the ride, you can see the exposed steel. The interior doesn't need rock work theming, it's dark enough that it's unnecessary, but putting up some sheet rock, or $20 curtains from bed bath and beyond would do wonders to hide the exposed steel. I hear there are some curtains over at Spaceship Earth that could be available.

As for the Yeti, once again, they can't close the attraction to "fix it" much in the same way they can't shut down Dinorama to "fix it", or shut down the railroad and/or Maharajah Jungle Trek to add an expansion.

They had a plan and they ignored it, and now the park is suffering. It seems that before any of the aforementioned lands get "Fixed", the park needs another attendance boost. So that leaves Camp Minnie Mickey, but they can't close Festival of the Lion King can they? It's the most popular stage show in Disney World, they wouldn't dare close it... well, they tried to close Aladdin a Musical Spectacular in DCA, so I suppose it's possible. But of course we've heard talk of it moving to Africa (not sure I like that), or Conservation Station (I like this idea better). But if they move it to Conservation Station than you can't rely on the train to take you there, and it would be a ridiculous long walk otherwise.

Disney, you created these problems, now it's up to you to fix them.

Very well said. They've created many problems, now fix them. It's too much now. It starts to come off as disrespectful. I mean $80+ for a cheap experience? Come on now...

Disneytwinmom

I'm disappointed that Pixie Hollow might not be a reality. My 5 yr. old son became obsessed with Tink and the Fairies after seeing Peter Pan and then the Tink movies last year. He likes to wear his sister's Tink (and princess costumes), as well as, his Peter Pan costume and Terence shirt I made for him. I've watched the 2 current movies a zillion times and read a few of the storybooks. If planned thoughtfully, the area could be a great playground, meet and greet, and interactive experience. If you've seen the Tink movies or read the Fairy storybooks, there are some elements that could be some cute attractions. At Tinker's Nook you could create a light up wand/sceptre with "lost things" and "magic stones" (similar idea to Sid's Create a toy at DQ) with interaction from Fairy Mary and Clank and Bobble. There is a Tea Room that serves delicious desserts and treats and is a hub for the fairies' meals, that could be a nice themed counter service eatery similar to France's patisserie. Perhaps a dark ride similar to Peter Pan using Tink's balloon from "Lost Treasure" and featuring storyline from "Lost Treasure, " Fairy Rescue, " and in production "Winter Story." Tink and friends will be around for awhile with 4 animated features and a live action movie. If the imagineers dig a little deeper the area can appeal to everyone.

Lee

Adventurer
On the whole, I'm not sure I prefer the Iger era. Eisner had a lot of good years. In terms of WDW, I'm not convinced Iger has a better track record.
I'm not enjoying the Iger era all that much. Too much emphasis on branding (like Roy said, that's for cows.) and profit at the expense of show. The best things he's done are the Pixar purchase (a no-brainer) and the makeover at DCA (really had no choice).

Even less looking forward to the Iger future where WDI ceases to exist as we know it.:mad:

jt04

I'm not enjoying the Iger era all that much. Too much emphasis on branding (like Roy said, that's for cows.) and profit at the expense of show. The best things he's done are the Pixar purchase (a no-brainer) and the makeover at DCA (really had no choice).

Even less looking forward to the Iger future where WDI ceases to exist as we know it.:mad:

Well I know your viewpoint is influenced by the AC's closing. It always seems to me you are grinding an axe so to speak. Perhaps I'm wrong.

What is your opinion of Staggs? I fear a battle between him and the creative elements at WDI. Does he understand the Disney difference, WDI and keeping that edge? TWWoHP has to have a lot of folks considering farming out work. It is a double edged sword.

DisneyParksFan1

Yes, I didn't like the latter part of Eisner's reign of terror either.

Lee

Adventurer
Well I know your viewpoint is influenced by the AC's closing. It always seems to me you are grinding an axe so to speak. Perhaps I'm wrong.
You are wrong.
I miss the AC like a hand was cut off, but I am both adult and intelligent enough to be objective. My feelings about the AC have no impact whatsoever on any other aspect of the parks.

What is your opinion of Staggs? I fear a battle between him and the creative elements at WDI. Does he understand the Disney difference, WDI and keeping that edge?
I have neither seen nor heard of any issues between Staggs and WDI.
Staggs is a money guy. Plain and simple. He wants to get the most bang for his buck. If that means cutting something that he feels won't deliver, so be it. If that means spending more to make more, likewise.
(That was the essence of the FLE concerns. Not "What can we cut to save money?", but more like "Is this really the best use of the money we are spending?")
WDI will do what it has always done, take the budget they are given and deliver the best product they are able to.

TWWoHP has to have a lot of folks considering farming out work. It is a double edged sword.
Yes, it is.
WDI's problem, to some extent, is that is too big and expensive.
They deliver the best product in the business when allowed free reign to do so. Problem is, they are rarely afforded that opportunity. And when they are, the costs usually end up hugely inflated compared to what other themed entertainment design firms could do it for.
Now Potter comes along and delivers a first-rate product, completely designed and built by outside vendors, overseen by Uni Creative, for far less than it would have cost had WDI been doing it. Makes Uni look smart and WDI look like a big, lumbering giant, burdened by politics and beaurocracy.

The result? Iger has placed Bob Weiss in charge of the Shanghai project, and mandated that the entire job be done using outside consultants with only very minimal input from WDI.
This will be the first time a Disney park has been built primarilly using third party firms working under some WDI guidance.
(I have been hearing this for a while, and it was recently confirmed by Lee MacDonald. If Shanghai goes well, WDI as we know it will no longer be needed. It will be cut down into a smaller unit, using Uni Creative as the business model.)

misterID

I'm not too sure Shanghai will go well.

When I heard Steve Jobs talking about Disney, he talked like he seemed to have a lot more pull than I thought. Do you know if Jobs has a lot of influence that could rival Iger, Lee?

jt04

You are wrong.
I miss the AC like a hand was cut off, but I am both adult and intelligent enough to be objective. My feelings about the AC have no impact whatsoever on any other aspect of the parks.

Staggs is a money guy. Plain and simple. He wants to get the most bang for his buck. If that means cutting something that he feels won't deliver, so be it. If that means spending more to make more, likewise.
(That was the essence of the FLE concerns. Not "What can we cut to save money?", but more like "Is this really the best use of the money we are spending?")
WDI will do what it has always done, take the budget they are given and deliver the best product they are able to.

Yes, it is.
They deliver the best product in the business when allowed free reign to do so. Problem is, they are rarely afforded that opportunity. And when they are, the costs usually end up hugely inflated compared to what other themed entertainment design firms could do it for.
Now Potter comes along and delivers a first-rate product, completely designed and built by outside vendors, overseen by Uni Creative, for far less than it would have cost had WDI been doing it. Makes Uni look smart and WDI look like a big, lumbering giant, burdened by politics and beaurocracy.

The result? Iger has placed Bob Weiss in charge of the Shanghai project, and mandated that the entire job be done using outside consultants with only very minimal input from WDI.
This will be the first time a Disney park has been built primarilly using third party firms working under some WDI guidance.
(I have been hearing this for a while, and it was recently confirmed by Lee MacDonald. If Shanghai goes well, WDI as we know it will no longer be needed. It will be cut down into a smaller unit, using Uni Creative as the business model.)

Scarey stuff.

Lee

Adventurer
When I heard Steve Jobs talking about Disney, he talked like he seemed to have a lot more pull than I thought. Do you know if Jobs has a lot of influence that could rival Iger, Lee?

No. He doesn't have enough juice to rival Iger.
However, he is the company's largest shareholder (a little over 7%) and a member of the board of directors, so he could have substantial influence if he chose to throw his weight around.

Captain Chaos

You are wrong.

Yes, it is.

Lee, question, and you may not know... Staggs looked at this expansion and wanted to make sure they were getting the bang for their buck... Obviously he deceided they weren't, so the whole eastern part is being rethought.. I know you don't know what is being planned, but, do you know, since Staggs got his way, is he adding to the expansion's budget or cutting budget and still adding to the expansion?

Lee

Adventurer
Lee, question, and you may not know... Staggs looked at this expansion and wanted to make sure they were getting the bang for their buck... Obviously he deceided they weren't, so the whole eastern part is being rethought.. I know you don't know what is being planned, but, do you know, since Staggs got his way, is he adding to the expansion's budget or cutting budget and still adding to the expansion?

No idea. Working on finding out.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom