No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know, I've been thinking a little...
Water in bottled form has been something that people have been purchasing and carrying along only since - oh, the mid 80's maybe.
Even back then, it hadn't really caught on yet. The craze is more of a late 90's thing.
Now, I'll grant you that we are more educated about the dangers of dehydration but still...
Anyway, it got me to thinking of my earlier trips to WDW.
On my first trip right after WDW opened, my mother would have carried a pocketbook (she was never without it) and my father would have had his wallet.
That's it.
Ditto, a couple of years after that when the family took a trip out to Disneyland.
By later trips, with friends or girlfriends - we carried nothing either.
My point is, that this phenomena of people carrying lots of stuff and believing that they cannot go anywhere without it, and are entitled to haul it into an establishment they go to - is a relatively new thing.

True but at least for us it's a CamelBak or a small day pack with bottled water, But I know what you mean some people go in there like they are preparing to ascend K2!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Truth is, the rides themselves - like the seatbelts that everybody grabs, the handrails, etc. are more likely to be contaminated than the water fountains which get far less use.

Heck yes, It's why I don't wear short pant's at Disney the less skin you expose the better off you are also it helps in avoiding sunburn.

Goofyernmost

You know, I've been thinking a little...
Water in bottled form has been something that people have been purchasing and carrying along only since - oh, the mid 80's maybe.
Even back then, it hadn't really caught on yet. The craze is more of a late 90's thing.
Now, I'll grant you that we are more educated about the dangers of dehydration but still...
Anyway, it got me to thinking of my earlier trips to WDW.
On my first trip right after WDW opened, my mother would have carried a pocketbook (she was never without it) and my father would have had his wallet.
That's it.
Ditto, a couple of years after that when the family took a trip out to Disneyland.
By later trips, with friends or girlfriends - we carried nothing either.
My point is, that this phenomena of people carrying lots of stuff and believing that they cannot go anywhere without it, and are entitled to haul it into an establishment they go to - is a relatively new thing.
You are so right. I think I once posted that not that many years ago, and perhaps even today, farmers would work (not walk or sit) in the hot fields all day long and only stopped occasionally for a sip or two of water. How on earth did they survive? Well, with today's philosophy they wouldn't have, but, they were lucky and didn't know about it so survive they did. Now we sit at a desk in an air conditioned building, exercising only our fingers and have been convinced (probably by people that sell bottled water) that they have to consume 8 ounces of water per hour or they will just keel right over.

I still go to WDW and spend the day carrying nothing but my wallet. It contains everything I need. Cash and credit cards. With those two items I can take care of my physical needs (such as water when I'm thirsty and snacks). I have to buy that other stuff anyway and not only that but I have the expense of driving to a location to buy them. Not much money to be saved there considering the cost of gasoline.

I'm glad that I am as old as I am and skipped all that obsessive concern that in many ways is more likely to do you harm then help. We have an immune system to fight off illness. In order for them to work they have to be exposed to things to develop the anti-bodies to fight it off. Our current culture is to just avoid them, like that is 100% possible, and then when we find ourselves in a situation where there is no escaping it, the body is not ready to fight it off. Seems counter productive to me.

Tony the Tigger

I operate all water fountains (including at the gym) with my hand through the lower portion of my shirt, so my hand never actually touches it. Then let the water run a few seconds before beginning to drink.

Would love it if WDW would put some Purell dispensers in the lines for attractions lol.

And I am not a crazy germophobe, just don't feel like pushing the odds with so many people touching everything.

asianway

That could be staffing shortage. Young folks in my neighborhood tell me deep cuts to labor hours are starting to show all over the parks. The squeeze is even on FT cast being held to 32 hours. Oddly I saw an ad in the local paper for a Job Fair that took place in Orlando this past Tuesday. It must have had a list of 30 or so companies including WDW participating.
If your employer just posted record profits and your reward was a 20% reduction in hours, how long would you stick around? Unless you had a good deal of tenure and a second income or were some idiotic CP or lifestyler I can't imagine very long

Disnee4Me

When I stay on site I usually get breakfast at the resort and buy an extra drink to have for the bus ride to the park, and most times I still have it as I enter the park. Am I going to have to keep my receipt to show them at the turnstiles that I bought my drink on property?
I see people carrying their resort mugs coming back from the park. Did they really carry those all day long, so they don't have to go back to their room to grab it if they want to get a drink before "retiring" for the night? I so like being hands free all day. I confess I've gone back to a small pack for extra camera batteries and cell phone. Then I wear a belt to loop my camera and sun glasses case.

Daddyoh

Yes, that is what is now being considered. Do I think this is a good thing? Glad you asked.

While it is motivated by nothing but pure greed, I grew up on Disney in an era where you didn't have people making sandwiches on benches (oh yeah, do you guys/gals even know what those are?) with jars of condiments spread out and Wonder Bread ... in an era where someone wasn't bringing in a cooler with a mini-buffet ... in an era where they hadn't made a McD's or Chik-Fil-A run prior to arriving (and just couldn't eat in their cars ... like self respecting obese people have done for decades!) ... and where the parks were damn near pristine because you didn't have food or drink in the queues etc.

I don't like the motivation behind it, but I do hope it happens because I agree with the sentiment. As a friend once mentioned about bringing his girlfriend on vacation with him "You don't bring a ham sandwich to a buffet."

If this goes into effect, you will be able to bring in drinks and food for special dietary issues. How the $9 an hour CMs at the gate will determine whether your 8-year-old truly needs that cheese sandwich and Goldfish crackers or you are just a cheapskate (or intelligent person who values money) who doesn't want to pay an average of $10-15 a head to have mediocre fast food is a great question.

Oh, and the 'imaginary' cuts are going to keep coming. Don't let the fact they added (and it was added) a second night parade back for spring break confuse you. WDW is being run like an enterprise that is going out of business tomorrow, not one that has NEVER been more profitable.

Finally, any of you catch that great Rogue One dress that Willow Bay Iger was wearing on the red carpet? She loves her Star Wars almost as much as a Lifestyler loves a lanyard with 'media' printed on it!

Daddyoh

Way "Back in the Day" Palisades Park was a "giant" amusement park of the day they had a dedicated picnic area for their patrons.Disney could do this for their guests (of course for a price) and actually spread some good will to those who can't afford the exuberant food prices. It could also ease up on the ride lines and congestion in the parks during lunch times.

PinnySmart

Way "Back in the Day" Palisades Park was a "giant" amusement park of the day they had a dedicated picnic area for their patrons.Disney could do this for their guests (of course for a price) and actually spread some good will to those who can't afford the exuberant food prices. It could also ease up on the ride lines and congestion in the parks during lunch times.
I think you are missing the point. If you can't afford their prices then they had rather you stay home. Thins the herd out some and with higher prices those that choose to pay will make up the difference.

laben594

NEWSFLASH PEOPLE: Disney isn't a right, it's a privilege. This is what is wrong with the self-righteous attitude this country has, sorry you can't get a free handout at Disney now. Disney doesn't care if you are poor, and why should they? If I owned my own theme park I sure wouldn't let people bring their own food. Why you may ask? Because I enjoy making money too much and I'm not stupid, much like Disney!

PirateFrank

NEWSFLASH PEOPLE: Disney isn't a right, it's a privilege. This is what is wrong with the self-righteous attitude this country has, sorry you can't get a free handout at Disney now. Disney doesn't care if you are poor, and why should they? If I owned my own theme park I sure wouldn't let people bring their own food. Why you may ask? Because I enjoy making money too much and I'm not stupid, much like Disney!

Sorry -- I have to jump in here. It's not a privilege either. That's skewing things a good bit in a direct that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

What it is, is a product that is purchased. Nothing more, nothing less.

Guests pay for the product and most have a reasonable expectation on what the product is supposed to provide. Unfortunately, there are guests that, out of either selfishness, greed or pure insanity, have blurred the lines between reasonable expectation and unreasonable expectation.

epcotWSC

If no one paid to go to Disney, the place would shut down. You can't say that "it's a privilege." The thing is that it's all supply and demand. If people are willing to pay ridiculous prices then they keep raising them until revenue starts to fall. If less people go, but are willing to pay more, it still helps out even if revenue stays flat since you'll need less employees = less cost.

If people are willing to still go after they restrict what kinds of food and drinks you can bring into the parks, then they'll do it because they know it will lead to people spending more.

Supply and Demand, that's all it is. If Disney wants to make the parks into something that only the upper-middle and upper classes can go to, then that's their business. As long as they're still increasing revenue, then they will do so. Is it right? Probably not, but who are we to tell a massive corporation how to run their business?

Anyway, I've recently started bringing a camelbak into the parks. As long as people bringing water into the parks isn't banned, then whatever.

NearTheEars

Sorry -- I have to jump in here. It's not a privilege either. That's skewing things a good bit in a direct that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

What it is, is a product that is purchased. Nothing more, nothing less.

Guests pay for the product and most have a reasonable expectation on what the product is supposed to provide. Unfortunately, there are guests that, out of either selfishness, greed or pure insanity, have blurred the lines between reasonable expectation and unreasonable expectation.

And as a product, if you can't afford it, or find little value in it (like many here) you shouldn't purchase it.

Because if you do, you'll either be in debt or just plain angry. Maybe both.

erasure fan1

NEWSFLASH DISNEY: Getting my business isn't a right, it's a privilege, This is what is wrong with the selfish attitude corporate America has, sorry you can't get my business with no effort. I don't care if shareholders need a bonus, and why should I? If I owned a theme park I would give people the highest level of product and service I could. Why you ask? Because I enjoy making money and I'm not greedy, much like Disney!

glvsav37

NEWSFLASH DISNEY: Getting my business isn't a right, it's a privilege, This is what is wrong with the selfish attitude corporate America has, sorry you can't get my business with no effort. I don't care if shareholders need a bonus, and why should I? If I owned a theme park I would give people the highest level of product and service I could. Why you ask? Because I enjoy making money and I'm not greedy, much like Disney!

correct....but there will always be that ebb and flow struggle to determine what "the highest level of service" is and costs.

But here's the deal...You don't own a theme park...and neither does Bob Iger....those shareholders who want bonuses do.

What is "Highest level of serve" anyway? that is an opinion that changes person to person, income level to income level. I'm sure an average lower to middle class family will find the service and amenities at a WDW resort much higher then they are accustomed to. However, to a more richer family who is use to butlers and private jets, WDW is like a HoJo to them.

In general, "highest level of service" costs money—staff, maintenance, consumables, etc. And while it is partially funded by the consumers, it is also funded (and accountable) to the shareholders. Public companies will always toe the line b/t giving the shareholders positive returns while keeping expensed at razor thin margins w/o completely disrupting the customer facing service.

And as long as the turnstyle is turning, there is no incentive for Disney to change.

CDavid

What is "Highest level of serve" anyway? that is an opinion that changes person to person, income level to income level. I'm sure an average lower to middle class family will find the service and amenities at a WDW resort much higher then they are accustomed to. However, to a more richer family who is use to butlers and private jets, WDW is like a HoJo to them.

Level of service shouldn't vary based on a individual perspective; It can be measured objectively and is not a matter of opinion. If you are presenting (and pricing) your resorts as generally four or five star properties, then they should offer 5-star service. Rooms at your flagship resort (The Grand Floridian) which resemble a Hampton Inn may indeed look nice to someone accustomed to Motel 6, but fail to achieve an objective standard.

Some kid may consider McDonald's fine cuisine while their parents proclaim Victoria & Albert's glorified fast-food, but that doesn't make either evaluation factually true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom