No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

Tony the Tigger

OK I've read this whole darned monstrosity LOL. Random thoughts:

1. Your kids apparently eat way too much goldfish.
2. Disney should sell little bags of goldfish at every QS and kiosk.
3. Nothing has been announced yet, so it's hard to quibble over details when we have none!
4. Now I will quibble over details.

I was surprised to hear WDW allowed people to bring in coolers of food. I would have never thought to do that, and would probably be a little embarrassed to do that. Plus I hate to carry anything - anything. If it doesn't fit in my cargo shorts, it's staying in the room or the car.

Also, I've never brought food into the park except for a veggie-jerky thingy from Whole Foods "just in case" - and most of the time I'd find it still in my pocket when I got back to the room. It became part of my "emergency kit" with my dollar tree poncho that never really got used. But I felt good having it with me.

With that said, now's a good time to interject this: I understand that my experiences, traditions and needs are not the same as everyone else's experiences, traditions and needs; and that does not necessarily mean the people who do things differently are wrong.

Some people were raised by parents who would bring food everywhere. Some were raised by parents who would never do that.

Some are just at different stages in life. My first few trips to Disney, I never ate at a sit-down restaurant on property. I ate off-property or would "splurge" at a QS. Now I enjoy the nicer restaurants on property, but I don't judge those who are doing what I used to have no choice but to do. I would never say, "If you can't afford it, stay home." That's obnoxious.

I'm sure Disney knows that they "grow" customers in this fashion - that first timers can eventually become annual visitors and then annual passholders, and that they discover more expensive restaurants and as the attractions become "old hat," they do more tours, and that they go from staying off-property to on-property, etc. So allowing for a young family to bring some PB&J sandwiches on their second or third trip may well set the stage for those kids growing up and bringing their kids for many sit-down meals.

Honestly, I'm very grateful to be able to buy a Florida resident annual pass for what some people pay for 3 days admission. I don't know how some of you guys do it with kids, rooms, food for 6 people, etc.

The first time I ever stayed in a moderate resort was maybe two years ago, and it was $140 for a night, and we stayed one night. I had to talk myself into that not being crazy, because I had never paid more than $100 for a room anywhere ever in my life. In fact, I averaged $40 at best, and I traveled around the USA for 4 years in the early 2000's.

But because we did that low-budget splurge, and enjoyed the experience, we went back to stay 4 nights here and there at the other moderates. After staying years at the Red Roof on 192, I can't look down on those who do that now. In fact, I still do once in awhile if we want to bring the dog.

The attitude against people who are trying to make a Disney vacation from their budgets is really disturbing.

Equally disturbing is the attitude of entitlement, although I see that much less. But sometimes the attitude is what causes the reaction. I own a small retail store. If I offer a discount to a customer, it's because I think they deserve it. If people ask me for a discount, it usually irks me.

5. LOL. You may see a lot more non-tipping people at WDW restaurants. If they were saving money by bringing coolers of sandwiches, do you think they are going to tip a waiter 20%? (Don't even start!)
6. Next to go is "no sharing."
7. Next after that is "no dollar tree ponchos." Disney sells ponchos. You are cheating Disney out of $13 ponchos if you bring a dollar tree poncho in your cargo shorts. In fact, when it rains, Disney will close every store on Main Street to make sure you cannot escape the rain and MUST buy a $13 poncho.
8. I am much more disturbed by how many people feel the need to wear neon sneakers at the parks. The 80's are over for a reason, people!!

SteamboatStitch

I know it's purely for the green on their part, but I'm OK with the decision if only because seeing people pack and bring in an entire banquet then leave the mess for some poor CM to clean up really put a poor taste in my mouth over the concept of allowing outside food. The only people I feel sorry for in this situation are the light-packers that want a granola bar or something specific but small for their kids to snack on without waiting in a large culinary queue.

UncleMike101

I know.......
Disney could open a convenience store just inside the entrance to each park and sell the items that people need, or want, for a day in the park.
Candy bars, milk, diapers and baby food, Goldfish crackers, Kosher/Halal food, and all of the other things mentioned by the posters here.
All for a "fair" (By Disney standards) price. ;)
Then they could allow only cash, credit cards, Disney gift cards, check books, (For Sun Bank only), Magic Bands, and the clothing the guest is wearing (Within the limits of Disney standards) to be brought into the parks.
That way they could eliminate many of the Bag Checkers and replace them with Disney Detector Archways which can detect all items that don't contain a Disney chip.(Which I'm sure Imagineers are feverishly working to perfect at this very moment.)
There!
Problem solved to everyone's satisfaction. :hilarious:

Goofyernmost

You get it.

I'm not some kind of health nut but we do cook at home most of the time. It's totally different from fast food places or pretty much any prepared food except for the high end restaurants. I use herbs to flavor things and buy fresh produce etc. I also get my bread from a French place near me and the main difference is no preservative so it is only good for 2 days. The other side is no extra chemicals to make for a better shelf life. To me the bread just tastes better so I don't mind dropping by every few days. My wife and I don't mind cooking either. It does take some time but we'll see who dies first. Salt isn't going to kill you but never ending salt at every meal will kill you one way or another. It's like fried food, once in a while is fine. 5 days a week is not.
Salt isn't going to kill you, but, no salt will do you in fairly quickly. Our bodies require it. Also one other correction, never ending salt, minor amounts of salt or no salt at all will kill you one way or the other. No one I know of has gotten out of here alive.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

It is kind of gross. Another handy place to eat your picnic lunch (I should note this is a little off topic since it is out of a themed amusement area, but may still be handy if you aren't shelling out for a WDW room) is room 8957 in Pop Century. They've never fixed the latch on the door even as the technology used to activate the latch has changed (anyone remember those pronged metal sticks you used to have to stick in those oddly shaped little door holes? What were those things called?). Anyway, I used to eat in the room's bathroom out of habit, but then realized I could use the main area of the room where the guests sleep. In exchange for the nice place to eat I typically re-organized the room a bit (some people really don't know how to arrange their clothes in a hotel room!) and I might even leave a few candies left over from the previous Halloween on the pillows in the room.

Mike S

It is kind of gross. Another handy place to eat your picnic lunch (I should note this is a little off topic since it is out of a themed amusement area, but may still be handy if you aren't shelling out for a WDW room) is room 8957 in Pop Century. They've never fixed the latch on the door even as the technology used to activate the latch has changed (anyone remember those pronged metal sticks you used to have to stick in those oddly shaped little door holes? What were those things called?). Anyway, I used to eat in the room's bathroom out of habit, but then realized I could use the main area of the room where the guests sleep. In exchange for the nice place to eat I typically re-organized the room a bit (some people really don't know how to arrange their clothes in a hotel room!) and I might even leave a few candies left over from the previous Halloween on the pillows in the room.
How do you come up with this stuff :hilarious:

matt9112

I highly doubt Disney would pull a bag of Goldfish crackers from a moms diaper bag and confiscate it.
Otherwise, I have no problem with this.
It's not a camping trip. How much outside food or drink do you need?

i dont see a point to the policy...is it a big deal no? but i dont see the big deal for Disney unless its raw cash flow.

Nubs70

I modern life you are not going to die from a lack of salt. You are right you do need some salt but the days of a lack of salt are long gone. The big problem with salt is high blood pressure and that will kill you over time. If you take enough meds you can keep going same as diabetes. Feel free to stuff yourself with salt and sugar becoming great friends with your doctor, pharmacy.
Sugar does not cause diabetes.

Sugar aggravates the chronic condition. Carbohydrates and starches also perform the same action as sugars except at a slower rate.

Diabetes is caused by the condition of low to no insulin output.

Goofyernmost

I modern life you are not going to die from a lack of salt. You are right you do need some salt but the days of a lack of salt are long gone. The big problem with salt is high blood pressure and that will kill you over time. If you take enough meds you can keep going same as diabetes. Feel free to stuff yourself with salt and sugar becoming great friends with your doctor, pharmacy.
I'm not arguing that doing everything in moderation is actually the healthy way to live a life. A bigger problem for High Blood Pressure is weight, so excess sugars and just plain eating to much, salt or no salt, will do one in eventually. My outlook is that I am not going to deprive myself of everything in a vain attempt to live forever. I have a daughter that deprives herself of everything worth eating because she wants to live longer. OK, not a bad goal, but, every once in awhile I feel compelled to ask her which one of her lives she plans to enjoy? I ask myself if living an extra 10 years sitting in a wheel chair, oblivious to the world around me, worth the sacrifice?

The number one cause of death in humans is old age, nothing is going to predict what duration that will be and is governed a great deal by genetics. I'm convinced of that. Old age is also the number one reason that people become best friends with their Doctor because things like diabetes, blood pressure and a multitude of others happen because our organs age and with that aging comes functions that are diminished because of tired equipment. Circulatory, pancreatic, liver, heart and respiratory systems tend to break down over years of usage. It just happens.

Anyway, that's my opinion of how it works... your mileage may vary. Just as an example, if your heart rate is 70 per minute and you are my age (68) then the old pump has been working flawlessly and has beat approximately 2,501,856,000 times. No wonder it gives up after awhile. And even if it takes coffee breaks the caffeine would cause the rate to increase. Be cautious, don't over do, salt, red meats, caffeine, alcohol, sugar and whatever else we ingest. Enjoy life for whatever length it gets to be and stop stressing over everything... that will shorten life quicker then anything.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As to guests picnicking last time I was at the Friars nook in FL needed to eat my QS meal on top of a trash can because it was the only flat surface around No I did not see outside food that day just inadequate dining capacity which this policy will simply make worse

alissafalco

As to guests picnicking last time I was at the Friars nook in FL needed to eat my QS meal on top of a trash can because it was the only flat surface around No I did not see outside food that day just inadequate dining capacity which this policy will simply make worse

They do need more tables.
While I agree, and this probably wont help you when you are eating at Friars nook, but hands down every time I go to MK even on the busiest of days there is always seating in the back circus section behind Casey Jr splash & the M&G. Its shaded and I have never seen more than 2-3 tables taken back there.

Tony the Tigger

While I agree, and this probably wont help you when you are eating at Friars nook, but hands down every time I go to MK even on the busiest of days there is always seating in the back circus section behind Casey Jr splash & the M&G. Its shaded and I have never seen more than 2-3 tables taken back there.

That may be because I don't even know where that is LOL. Thanks for the tip, will do a little research. I'm guessing it's a place I typically walk by.

My bigger issue is at EPCOT for F&W and F&G. All those kiosks with little bites and I also often end up around a trash can or balancing on top of something so I can hold my drink. I don't mind eating and walking, but with only two hands, I can't do that and also carry my beer LOL.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, that is what is now being considered. Do I think this is a good thing? Glad you asked.

While it is motivated by nothing but pure greed, I grew up on Disney in an era where you didn't have people making sandwiches on benches (oh yeah, do you guys/gals even know what those are?) with jars of condiments spread out and Wonder Bread ... in an era where someone wasn't bringing in a cooler with a mini-buffet ... in an era where they hadn't made a McD's or Chik-Fil-A run prior to arriving (and just couldn't eat in their cars ... like self respecting obese people have done for decades!) ... and where the parks were damn near pristine because you didn't have food or drink in the queues etc.

I don't like the motivation behind it, but I do hope it happens because I agree with the sentiment. As a friend once mentioned about bringing his girlfriend on vacation with him "You don't bring a ham sandwich to a buffet."

If this goes into effect, you will be able to bring in drinks and food for special dietary issues. How the $9 an hour CMs at the gate will determine whether your 8-year-old truly needs that cheese sandwich and Goldfish crackers or you are just a cheapskate (or intelligent person who values money) who doesn't want to pay an average of $10-15 a head to have mediocre fast food is a great question.

Oh, and the 'imaginary' cuts are going to keep coming. Don't let the fact they added (and it was added) a second night parade back for spring break confuse you. WDW is being run like an enterprise that is going out of business tomorrow, not one that has NEVER been more profitable.

Finally, any of you catch that great Rogue One dress that Willow Bay Iger was wearing on the red carpet? She loves her Star Wars almost as much as a Lifestyler loves a lanyard with 'media' printed on it!

While I certainly agree that people shouldn't be allowed to bring rolling coolers into the parks, I would not be happy if I couldn't bring in my bottle of water (hate the taste of Dasani; if I wanted filtered New Jersey tap water with minerals added back in, I'd move to New Jersey) and my snacks. I don't litter and I recycle. I'm also one of those guests who tidies up their hotel room before leaving for the day - I'm not a slob at home and I'm not going to be one in a hotel either, just because someone else does the pick up after me....

Tony the Tigger

While I certainly agree that people shouldn't be allowed to bring rolling coolers into the parks, I would not be happy if I couldn't bring in my bottle of water (hate the taste of Dasani; if I wanted filtered New Jersey tap water with minerals added back in, I'd move to New Jersey) and my snacks. I don't litter and I recycle. I'm also one of those guests who tidies up their hotel room before leaving for the day - I'm not a slob at home and I'm not going to be one in a hotel either, just because someone else does the pick up after me....

I agree with you, but I'm sure there are plenty of slobs who don't behave that way LOL.

alissafalco

That may be because I don't even know where that is LOL. Thanks for the tip, will do a little research. I'm guessing it's a place I typically walk by.

My bigger issue is at EPCOT for F&W and F&G. All those kiosks with little bites and I also often end up around a trash can or balancing on top of something so I can hold my drink. I don't mind eating and walking, but with only two hands, I can't do that and also carry my beer LOL.
lol...I'm sure you've passed it by plenty of times. I found this pic on the internet of it. I hope this helps
storybook-circus-food-seating.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom