No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

NearTheEars

We typically bring in bottles of water and sometimes a Coke. The rare times that we do spend a full day at one park we will bring 2 PB&Js for lunch. But then we will buy dinner and a popcorn later.

If we are spending a whole day and hopping, often we just head over to 192 and get a meal between parks.

Long story short, I think our PB&Js are safe.

No Name

Smoking is disgusting. It smells, it pollutes, and it kills. It should definitely be banned in the parks, if not everywhere in the country. Or the world. Especially now that e-cigarettes are an option, something that doesn't really affect those around you. In my opinion, at the very least, all smoking locations in all Disney parks and resorts should be restricted to e-cigarettes. And if you're having trouble change to e-cigarettes, going to WDW would be a great reward for reaching that goal.

Walt died becuase he smoked and yet people are allowed to make that same mistake in his parks? Haha the irony... Well I guess you could say they're following in his footsteps...

Sorry for going a bit off-topic. Back to food!

Last edited:

jaklgreen

So being a business means you have to be an *******?

No, my point is that it is within their rights to make that decision whether we like it or not. Disney, or any other business does not owe us anything. We can complain and be unhappy about it and it even might cost them some business, but they are not doing anything "wrong" especially as this is the norm for most places.

No Name

No, my point is that it is within their rights to make that decision whether we like it or not. Disney, or any other business does not owe us anything. We can complain and be unhappy about it and it even might cost them some business, but they are not doing anything "wrong" especially as this is the norm for most places.
I fully agree. Disney will never take anyone on this board seriously who keeps accusing them of "being greedy" or "doing everything for money" or phrases like that. We need to argue how their actions are actually hurting their business.

Some people want to take stabs at Disney's greediness or how they're not the company they were in the past and those people are totally allowed to do that. It's just not going to change a thing. That's why I try to take a different approach.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
If this thread turns into a smokers vs non smoker argument it will be closed. This is your second warning- 3 strikes and you're out! Bringing in outside food and smoking is an apples and oranges comparison and has no place in this discussion.

Tay

I think the best solution for everyone would be for Disney to build picnic areas, force people with outside food to eat there and charge a small fee for tables.

Disney doesn't have to build more quick services, pay for CMs and utilities and make a lot of money.

People still get to save a lot of money and or enjoy better food.

The pretentious people get to enjoy their overpriced below average fast food in peace .

Win Win for everyone.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Most entertainment venues have "outside food" restrictions, so I dont see this as anything out of the norm. If you do a quick survey of the local orlando parks they all have food restrictions. Look nationally and most all parks have them as well.

MotherOfBirds

Or they could just limit the amount of food brought into the park, just like carry-on luggage. Perhaps nothing more than what you can fit in an average kid's soft lunchbox. I understand not wanting hordes of families walking into MK looking like they're about to hit the Oregon Trail, but no food at all? I also have difficulty believing that they would be able to really enforce it. Coolers would obviously be out, but I can promise you that I will be stuffing granola bars into my cleavage if it comes right down to it.

discos

At our local park here in Toronto, Canada's Wonderland which is owned by Cedar Fair, theres no outside food or drink allowed in the park, so this really doesn't come as a shock that Disney might be considering this as well

Goofyernmost

Yes, if they buy a desert, they may buy something to drink as well. It's like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Is that what you were implying or am I not getting it?

And yes, food is marked up high as well, but my whole point is that it's never good to frustrate people into buying things. In most cases that's not a business model that leads to success. Disney could make the same money elsewhere by letting the guest buy things at their own desire. Plus, by keeping people happy, they are more inclined to return and/or tell their friends about their great trip.

The third sentence you said, I do not understand. Could you maybe clarify?

As for the last part, I can imagine people brought in their own stuff back then. Obviously it was less of a money-saver then, but still, when you go to any new place, sometimes you just feel more comfortable bringing your own lunch. Or if you're planning to eat quickly or don't want to wat in line for food... there are plenty of reasons. I'm not siding with anyone's memory here but what you said doesn't seem to hard to believe either.

So those are my thoughts, I just didn't understand a few parts of what you said.

Desert =
th
Desserts =
th

Just a joke... I should have been more specific, sorry!

whiterhino42

Yes, that is what is now being considered. Do I think this is a good thing? Glad you asked.

While it is motivated by nothing but pure greed, I grew up on Disney in an era where you didn't have people making sandwiches on benches (oh yeah, do you guys/gals even know what those are?) with jars of condiments spread out and Wonder Bread ... in an era where someone wasn't bringing in a cooler with a mini-buffet ... in an era where they hadn't made a McD's or Chik-Fil-A run prior to arriving (and just couldn't eat in their cars ... like self respecting obese people have done for decades!) ... and where the parks were damn near pristine because you didn't have food or drink in the queues etc.

I don't like the motivation behind it, but I do hope it happens because I agree with the sentiment. As a friend once mentioned about bringing his girlfriend on vacation with him "You don't bring a ham sandwich to a buffet."

If this goes into effect, you will be able to bring in drinks and food for special dietary issues. How the $9 an hour CMs at the gate will determine whether your 8-year-old truly needs that cheese sandwich and Goldfish crackers or you are just a cheapskate (or intelligent person who values money) who doesn't want to pay an average of $10-15 a head to have mediocre fast food is a great question.

Oh, and the 'imaginary' cuts are going to keep coming. Don't let the fact they added (and it was added) a second night parade back for spring break confuse you. WDW is being run like an enterprise that is going out of business tomorrow, not one that has NEVER been more profitable.

Finally, any of you catch that great Rogue One dress that Willow Bay Iger was wearing on the red carpet? She loves her Star Wars almost as much as a Lifestyler loves a lanyard with 'media' printed on it!

I like this with the exception of water. It irks me to pay $5 for a bottle of water when you can buy a case of it for that price.

CDavid

Sorry, I hate to bust another myth, but, back in the "golden days" of Disney that everyone seem to remember with exacting clarity, I'm afraid that people that brought in sandwiches, etc. were far more plentiful then the percentage of those that do now. Theme parks were relatively new and anyone that ever went to a Carnival or Amusement Park knew how high priced food was in those venue's. Back in the 70's and 80's when admission was seemingly so cheap, it allowed more people to enact a strict budget and therefore bringing in lunch was the normal way of affording a Disney trip.

I had some friends that made their first visit to WDW in the mid 80's. They brought in PB&J sandwiches. In a resent conversation that I had with their Daughter, now almost 40, she still shivers at the pain of sitting on a bench eating a sandwich when all that gooey stuff was being sold at the counter service places. It caused her to be totally embarrassed. I would guess that she was around 8 or 9 at the time. She always wanted to go with us because we didn't bring food in. It was, however, something that you would see all the time. Some didn't know that you could bring it in so they would go out to the parking lot at lunch time and have a tailgate lunch. I always was concerned about the fact that their car sat out in that hot Florida sun. I hope they owned a very well insulated cooler.:hungover:

People used to leave the park to have a "tailgate lunch" because it was prohibited to bring outside food into the parks. It wasn't the "normal way"; If it happened with the regularity you recall (not how I remember it, but I doubt either of us were taking notes) then the guests were sneaking the food in somehow. This is the very reason the Transportation & Ticket Center had lockers and picnic facilities - for people to enjoy their own food. That would be a fine policy to return, and a reasonable solution.

No Name

Desert =
th
Desserts =
th

Just a joke... I should have been more specific, sorry!

Oh hahahaha I get it, good one :D No my fault, I should've picked up on the joke especially with the winky face.

The really embarassing part is that I not only completely missed the joke but then I misspelled it again after... and I hate misspelling things.

***quietly escapes the thread***

Goofyernmost

People used to leave the park to have a "tailgate lunch" because it was prohibited to bring outside food into the parks. It wasn't the "normal way"; If it happened with the regularity you recall (not how I remember it, but I doubt either of us were taking notes) then the guests were sneaking the food in somehow. This is the very reason the Transportation & Ticket Center had lockers and picnic facilities - for people to enjoy their own food. That would be a fine policy to return, and a reasonable solution.
No one even questioned it back then. It was normal operating procedures. So, if what you say is true, then they are actually going back to the way Walt would have done it. How amusing is that? Btw, they weren't sneaking anything, they were just walking in with it. No bag check back then. That didn't happen until this Millennium.

Goofyernmost

Oh hahahaha I get it, good one :D No my fault, I should've picked up on the joke especially with the winky face.

The really embarassing part is that I not only completely missed the joke but then I misspelled it again after... and I hate misspelling things.

***quietly escapes the thread***
Not to worry... and understand I wasn't really caring about the spelling, I just thought it was a good way to twist it. I really try not to be one of the grammar police.

***you can come back now***

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom