no more protective sleeves (for now) with lightsabers.

Tay

This is so disgusting. You need a reservation to even do this, so they knew they were running low. Supply chain issue is not an excuse, find an alternative. Like I’m sure it’s not hard to find these around Florida or order from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073JYLV6F/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

Or buy some folding chairs, take the bags then donate the chairs to charity and write it off. Like cut the crap. Saying get a plastic bag or spend $50 for a case is just trash. At least offer a 50% discount for the case. They do not care about the optics at all. I guess since they know Bob C will be their scapegoat.

doctornick

I was thinking they could solve a lot of the issues by just discounting the price. Ten percent doesn't feel like enough, but I have to remember it's such a hefty price normally that it is a decent discount.
Yeah it’s about $22. I mean, the main thing you are paying for is the experience and the physical lightsaber. The bag is a small compliment, so that seems like a reasonable discount as you are still getting the primary stuff. It at least acknowledges that they aren’t fully coming through on what was promised.

The other thing is like to see is them informing people ahead of time allowing them to cancel without penalty (though I think that only comes into play for day of cancellations). If they did that but offered the 10% off, I doubt many would cancel. And in fact I think most would probably be pretty satisfied with the situation.

Sir_Cliff

This is something I've pointed out repeatedly.

Chapek's overall vision for the parks is terrible, but CEOs are almost never involved at this level of decision making. It's likely several steps removed from him. No one sent him an email asking what they should do because they're out of carrying cases at the lightsaber building shop.

With that said, lower level employees believing this is an acceptable practice does feed back up to overall leadership. I'm not sure anyone would have even attempted this if the management team had different priorities.
Completely agree, and in this respect it reminds me of the decision to have a DJ playing pop songs on Main Street USA as guests exited the park.

In both cases, the decision was likely made at a lower level and it seems that once there was enough of an outcry for people up higher to notice the decision was reversed (in this case through a discount). Still, that management in the parks thought either a tacky DJ or these plastic bags were acceptable solutions to problems points to real issues in training and organisational culture. In the first instance, why would management at WDW's flagship theme park be so tone deaf to the importance of theme and atmosphere? In the second, why would management show such little respect for customer service at one of the premiere experiences in perhaps the most expensive and hyped new land in the resort's history?

Again, these aren't decisions that can be laid at the feet of Bob Chapek. It does, though, point to problems within the management of the resort that probably arose when he was leading the parks division and now needs to resolve as CEO of the company.

Last edited:

LSLS

Chapek's overall vision for the parks is terrible, but CEOs are almost never involved at this level of decision making. It's likely several steps removed from him. No one sent him an email asking what they should do because they're out of carrying cases at the lightsaber building shop.

With that said, lower level employees believing this is an acceptable practice does feed back up to overall leadership. I'm not sure anyone would have even attempted this if the management team had different priorities.

Next you are going to try to tell me that chapek doesn't personally monitor the times each employee are checking in and checking out.

drizgirl

Of course not. But they set the tone and managers have a general idea of what they would support.

Timmay

Again, these aren't decisions that can be laid at the feet of Bob Chapek. It does, though, point to problems within the management of the resort that probably arose when he was leading the parks division and now needs to resolve as CEO of the company.
The two sentences of your final paragraph, at least to me, are in direct conflict with each other. If in fact the second sentence is true, then the blame can certainly be given to Chapek. If we use the root cause analysis method…then even more so. At the end of the day, as the CEO, Chapek is ultimately responsible for everything that does and does not happen in and with the parks.

John park hopper

It really gets me when people post on here well you are paying for the experience What Experience--- standing in long lines for a 5 minute ride, experience of paying more so you don't have to stand in long lines, experience having to be on your phone 24/7, experience paying high prices for mis labeled lodging luxury (not) value(not), experience paying outrageous prices of snacks (6 bucks Mickey ice-cream). I could go on but you get my point and yes I don't have to go and I am not any longer--- had enough experience

Last edited:

JohnD

I’m not one to always blame Chapek for everything but in this case it is very wrong. I understand the supply chain issue but a plastic bag is not an alternative. Receiving the case is part of the experience. In addition to being canvas and having a symbol on it, it is practical as well In that you can wear it over your shoulder. Either provide a discount or offer to mail a proper case at a later date. Come on, Disney, you’re better than this.

John park hopper

I’m not one to always blame Chapek for everything but in this case it is very wrong. I understand the supply chain issue but a plastic bag is not an alternative. Receiving the case is part of the experience. In addition to being canvas and having a symbol on it, it is practical as well In that you can wear it over your shoulder. Either provide a discount or offer to mail a proper case at a later date. Come on, Disney, you’re better than this.
No their not

JohnD

Yeah it’s about $22. I mean, the main thing you are paying for is the experience and the physical lightsaber. The bag is a small compliment, so that seems like a reasonable discount as you are still getting the primary stuff. It at least acknowledges that they aren’t fully coming through on what was promised.

The other thing is like to see is them informing people ahead of time allowing them to cancel without penalty (though I think that only comes into play for day of cancellations). If they did that but offered the 10% off, I doubt many would cancel. And in fact I think most would probably be pretty satisfied with the situation.
The case is also practical. You can wear it over your shoulder. That convenience is lost with the plastic bag. Offering a discount from the start should have been a no brainer.

JohnD

Absolutely. If there is a supply issue, then Disney can't fix that. But their response to the supply issue is the key thing and the response by Disney is abysmal (and is better at Disneyland but still not really ideal).

Edit: I'll just point out that stuff like this just furthers my thoughts that the Starcruiser experience will be subpar. This lightsaber build is a relatively high cost experience. It's not some $10 trinket that is disposable where people don't have much expectation of quality. They hyped up this experience, charge a pretty penny for it (and limit it to only 2 people so it gets complicated or expensive for families) so they need to come through with the payoff. It's the kind of thing that park decision makes should say we need to keep these guests happy and satisfy their expectations; but this is far from achieving that. Now the Starcruiser is much more expensive, but you get the sense that they don't realize (or don't care) to actually meet the expectations of the people paying for it.
I was thinking the same thing. The supply chain issue isn’t their fault. But the initial response with no discount (there is one now because of complaints) was horrible. What about the starcruiser and the first time something promised as part of the experience doesn’t pan out and guests continue paying the same?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom