No more park hopping...

Todd L

We pretty much park hop almost every day of a trip - even during an 8 day or longer trip. We do NOT commando anything anymore, but take our time. Since joining DVC we have really slowed down. We usually start at a park early in the morning, hit the attractions we want, then back to the resort to relax. Then a different park, usually EPCOT, for the evening. We don't use Fastpass, so that won't affect us at all. Even if we miss a particular attraction on one trip, that's OK, since we know that we will be back soon!
We had the same experience since Joining the Dvc. We dont have that desperate feeling to get everything in during our trip because theres always another one in the works!!!

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Personally I can't not park hop. Today for example, I did mk in the morning, MGM early noon, ak mid noon, back to pop half century to shower and change, then back to MGM, then Epcot, and just now ending the day at the magic kingdom. It was my last day and I always go all out on the last day. However, my only difference for me on a "regular" day would be me going back to the room for a nap. Mostly the going back and forth between parks had to do with using different fast pass times. But either way, it's how I do.
Wow, you changed parks six times and took a room break. I can't even imagine such a hectic pace or waste of time. To each his own, but I would never do something like that. My time and enjoyment are much too valuable. What is the point of so many park changes?

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I can't do a full day in Animal Kingdom. I get so bored by it. If I'm there for less than a week I would need to park hop to get in everything I want to see in Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

There's also the issue of reservations. Sometimes the dinner you want isn't in the park that fit into your schedule that day.
That is another thing we no longer do...let meals determine our schedule. ADRs have truly taken away from the fun.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Oh dear Lord, your thread title made me think that WDW was ending the Hopper option. Thanks for the heart attack, buddy. :p

Every trip, every time. ;)

To paraphrase Jack Sparrow..."A Hopper is more than a ticket...it's freedom."
Sorry, guess I could have worded that thread title better.

taz0162

We park hop each trip as well. It's great to be able to take advantage on early opening or late closing days at the parks where you might have a meal reservation at another. Sure it costs more but the freedom to go where you want when you want is nice. If a prak gets too busy head over to a different park. If it starts to rain on you MK monorail it over to Epcot with an umbrella where most rides are indoors and explore world showcase.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Personally I can't not park hop. Today for example, I did mk in the morning, MGM early noon, ak mid noon, back to pop half century to shower and change, then back to MGM, then Epcot, and just now ending the day at the magic kingdom. It was my last day and I always go all out on the last day. However, my only difference for me on a "regular" day would be me going back to the room for a nap. Mostly the going back and forth between parks had to do with using different fast pass times. But either way, it's how I do.
I thought about this and, even if you could go to each one in 15 minutes travel time you have 15 min. to MK, 15 to DHS (MGM), 15 to AK, 15 back to Pop, 15 back to DHS, 15 to Epcot, 15 to MK, then 15 back to Pop at end of the day...that comes to 2 hours and 15 minutes of your day going back and forth that could be spent enjoying park time...I'm 52 years old and can't even begin to describe how precious that 2 hours and 15 minutes of park time, strolling hand in hand with my wife, escaping the everyday of regular life, is to us. And 15 minutes is conservative at best, even if you drive and don't have to wait for buses or the monorail.
I am glad it works for you...it would never work for me.

foreverbelle

I think it depends, looking back I think yeah we park hop all the time. But when I actually sit down and really go over things, it depends on the situation. For example, last year we stayed at BW for the first time, which allowed us to take advantage of Epcot, which happens to be my son's favorite. So we were able to go to one park in the morning and then ended the evening over at Epcot. But then the time before hand when we were further out we didn't park hop at all. I like the option that we can, but know its nice at times if we don't as well.

ddbowdoin

this is where staying at the EPCOT resorts really plays a crucial role for my wife and I. We'll get up crack of dawn, shower, get ready and hit MK for rope drop. Stay until noon, come back and have lunch and then hit up Epcot for a while until say 4-5. Then walk the loop over to DHS for dinner or evening park time.

That is where spending the $$$ comes into play. Two walkable options and dining without a bus involved.

ddbowdoin

Having a PAP, if I spend more than 4-6 hours on property, hopping is an inevitability, though it blows my mind how much Disney charges extra to park hop for regular/multi day tickets.

that's all relative to the length of your stay... I'll be there 8 days starting Monday and the hopper ended being what, 10-15 dollars extra a day?

openendedsky

that's all relative to the length of your stay... I'll be there 8 days starting Monday and the hopper ended being what, 10-15 dollars extra a day?
Does it decrease with more days like the park admission or is it like that across the board for each day? Just curious.

Like say if you buy four days with parkhopper, would they all be X amount? or would it be X, and then decrease for each day that you add on.

(I just realized how poorly I phrased this. Sorry)

Allygator

We would typically spend a whole day in each park and towards the end of our vacation we would park hop to ride our favorite rides one last time. This year we have only a four day hopper plus waterpark passes so we plan on spending the day at each park utilizing EMHs. Now if only BOG reservations will happen for us.....we will find out in 5 days! Just debating on how important it really is to have that reservation on a certain day as to not have to park hop. We would also like to take pool breaks in the afternoon.

Weather_Lady

Do you park hop every trip?

We always have before, for two reasons: (1) Animal Kingdom is never more than a half-day park for us, and we like to have somewhere else to go after the mid-day break; and (2) many of the restaurants that interest us most are in Epcot, and it always works out to where a day-and-a-half in Epcot (one full day with dinner, and one evening with dinner) lets us do all the attractions and dining we want to there, whereas one day would be too little (and would only give us one dinner opportunity) and 2 days would leave us with extra "down time."

That being said, we've decided we won't be doing parkhoppers again. With Fastpass+ resulting in not being able to use Fastpasses in more than one park per day, meaning that any "second" park we visit will be "standby-only," we're changing the way we tour completely, and visiting just the one park where we have fastpasses. Not only that, but we've come to the conclusion that if we're only likely to use our Parkhoppers 2 out of 6 days, the extra cost isn't worth it. From now on, we'll make Animal Kingdom day a one-park day, and spend the afternoon swimming at the resort or visiting a resort restaurant or Downtown Disney for dinner instead of going to another Park. In the alternative, we'll skip Animal Kingdom altogether and spend an entire extra day at Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom