No more park hopping...

the-reason14

I thought about this and, even if you could go to each one in 15 minutes travel time you have 15 min. to MK, 15 to DHS (MGM), 15 to AK, 15 back to Pop, 15 back to DHS, 15 to Epcot, 15 to MK, then 15 back to Pop at end of the day...that comes to 2 hours and 15 minutes of your day going back and forth that could be spent enjoying park time...I'm 52 years old and can't even begin to describe how precious that 2 hours and 15 minutes of park time, strolling hand in hand with my wife, escaping the everyday of regular life, is to us. And 15 minutes is conservative at best, even if you drive and don't have to wait for buses or the monorail.
I am glad it works for you...it would never work for me.

Yes, this style of park going is definitely not for everyone. I can see why it won't work for the average vacationer, but it works for me. I'm go go go when I'm at the world and I move around very quickly. Really wouldn't have it any other way.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Yes, this style of park going is definitely not for everyone. I can see why it won't work for the average vacationer, but it works for me. I'm go go go when I'm at the world and I move around very quickly. Really wouldn't have it any other way.
I can't imagine that kind of pace, but do wish I had the energy for it.

ParkMan73

I used to be a big time park hopper - especially for dinners. When it was just my wife & I, I remember doing stuff like spending the day in the DHS and then heading to the GF for dinner and then having dessert in the MK.

Now, with 3 kids, that's a fond memory. Now, we stay in a single park all day. There's just so much overhead time associated with the kids, it doesn't make sense any more. For example, even CS lunch takes an hour, there's numerous bathroom stops, everyone has a different store that they want to stop in. Goodness, we're lucky just to make it through AK or DHS in a single day. On the trip we're on right now, we couldn't finish either of those two in one day.

Now, on most trips, we'd probably use it once or twice. Perhaps to finish up AK or DHS and then spend the rest of that day somehwere else.

Besides, with 5 people, $57 per ticket does add up for something we'll do just a couple of times.

J03Y

i don't park hop every trip. you're right, sometimes it's just nice to spend a day in one park and slow down. it helps you enjoy the atmosphere.

i do like park hoping though i admit it. MK or Epcot during the day, MGM for Fantasmic at night... ugh it's the perfect day!

SAV

No hopping for us. We go commando on the park we are at that day. We see no reason to leave one park for another. There's more than enough to do in each park to fill a day. Yes, AK is a full day park if you slow down and appreciate it.

We bought the hoppers the first time or 2 and noticed that we didn't hop, so it is a waste of money for us.

Hot Lava

My poor sons first time EVER in Magic Kingdom...we got delayed getting into the Resort and had Adrs for Crt that we were Running REALLY late for....We Ran down main street usa and hes yelling..."whats that??? I wanna see Mickey!! ...and Im yelling...NO WERE LATE COME ON!!

LOL! This is something I have to think about nearly everyday. Just this morning, we were in the grocery store, and I am rushing around to get what I need and get out. Meanwhile, in nearly every aisle, my son is yelling, "Mommy, I see something! Mommy, wait, I want to see that! Mommy, go back!" Today, in particular, he wanted to go back and look at the cheapo birthday candles. But for him, it is a big deal.

I could see myself doing what you described and I intend to try very hard not to be like that at WDW.

lovepooh

We have always done park hopping ourselves. Park in the morning - take a dip in the pool in the afternoon and back to another park in the afternoon. I can also get behind slowing down and enjoying also. Thats the one bad thing about ADR's you have to plan your day around your table service ressie.

We are going next month and on my bday, I am going to attempt to do all 4 parks, not everything mind you just my favorite attractions at each park. that might be a bit crazy!

SAV

I am going to attempt to do all 4 parks, not everything mind you just my favorite attractions at each park. that might be a bit crazy!

We had one hopper day left from one of those early trips(when they didn't expire after 14 days) and did do all 4 parks in one day. We were actually on a beach only trip but had the urge to drive the 2 hrs to WDW. Couldn't decide which park, so picked them all. It was a bit chaotic, but I'm glad I did it.

briar-rose

I find parkhopping pretty exhausting. My feet already hurt when I visit only one park per day and it also consumes a lot of time to get from one park to the other and we never return to our room before evening anyway. For me park hopping isn't worth the extra money

the-reason14

I can't imagine that kind of pace, but do wish I had the energy for it.

It's funny because its almost like I can't help it. I can't help but to walk fast and try to see and do as much as I can. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my trip I think if I didn't go at the pace I'm used to. I guess it's a competitive thing as well, whenever the park first opens and I see people speed walking to the ride I'm speed walking to, it makes me want to get there first. I have no idea why that is, but in a weird way I wouldn't have it any other way.

mamabunker

I used to be a big time park hopper - especially for dinners. When it was just my wife & I, I remember doing stuff like spending the day in the DHS and then heading to the GF for dinner and then having dessert in the MK.

Now, with 3 kids, that's a fond memory. Now, we stay in a single park all day. There's just so much overhead time associated with the kids, it doesn't make sense any more. For example, even CS lunch takes an hour, there's numerous bathroom stops, everyone has a different store that they want to stop in. Goodness, we're lucky just to make it through AK or DHS in a single day. On the trip we're on right now, we couldn't finish either of those two in one day.

Now, on most trips, we'd probably use it once or twice. Perhaps to finish up AK or DHS and then spend the rest of that day somehwere else.

Besides, with 5 people, $57 per ticket does add up for something we'll do just a couple of times.

Sounds very familiar. I don't know how old your kids are, but especially when they are very young, kids eat up time. Mine are 2 and 4 and it takes us 20 minutes just to get out the door and into the car.

Jim Chandler

Funny the only park hopping we ever did with our kids was between MK and E. AK was one day or less and back to the room/pool. Studios was usually all day.
Now my wife and I like no park hopping but have Sps just in case. Sometimes after strolling around Epcot we go to MK for the FW. The only time we actually hop is when we go with my son's family. As Fl residents we decide about 8 years ago to do SP vs AP because July and Aug in any park waiting in linbe can be almost unbearable especially when you know you can go in Oct when it is great weather.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I park hop because we like to do fireworks at the end of the night... and MK is a good way to wrap up the night.

We don't normally go 'back and forth'... but rather spend part of the day somewhere.. and then move somewhere else.

But I have gone between 3 of the parks.. including back and forth between MK/EPCOT more than once in a single day.. a half day no less :)

MKCP 1985

When there were only 2 parks, hopping was more a part of our routine. In recent years though, we have been happy to stick with 1 park per day. But then we don't do week long or 10 day trips so we dedicate a full day to whatever park we visit.

I_heart_Tigger

I think the worst thing about not park hopping is being so close to some of your favourite rides and not being able to do them "one last time" before you go home. Our last day is sometimes spent hitting the favourites - ToT, Spaceship Earth and Peter Pan then enjoying the MK fireworks. I can't imagine knowing there were 3 or 4 days left on my trip but that I already had to say goodbye to either Epcot or MK and not being able to see them for possibly 2 years!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the worst thing about not park hopping is being so close to some of your favourite rides and not being able to do them "one last time" before you go home. Our last day is sometimes spent hitting the favourites - ToT, Spaceship Earth and Peter Pan then enjoying the MK fireworks. I can't imagine knowing there were 3 or 4 days left on my trip but that I already had to say goodbye to either Epcot or MK and not being able to see them for possibly 2 years!!!

we feel the same.. we often spend the last days of our trip just doing 'highlights'. Head to AK for an hour or two and do what you want.. leave.. goto EPCOT and do some things.. and then maybe head to MK for late night, etc.

flavious27

We park hop to take advantage of the extra hours. Also we can more easily pick where we want to eat and what night time parades / shows to see. If we spent like 7 or 10 days though, we would skip the park hop.

habe20

I used to always do the Park Hopper because it seemed convenient an the best solution to getting everything done with the little time I had. But now I realized it's not worth it. I'd rather relax and take my time at one park, then doing 2 or 3 parks in one day and feeling the pain after. It's better to take it easy and make your trip enjoyable.

DisneyWall-E

Our family gave up park hopping after 2 times and we never regretted it. We never liked the hassle of going in between parks. It ate up too much of our time. Maybe when the kid are older and we don't have to deal with strollers and baby items.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom