No mention of Lights of Winter in the 2010 holiday press release

donaldfan

We used to take annual holiday trips to WDW, not any longer due to the abscence of Lights of Winter. I wore a "Bring Back Lights of Winter" button last year and got alot of feedback from front-line management that they couldn't believe the lights were gone themselves and wanted to know where I got the button.

I told Guest Relations I wouldn't be back this year, the person's response was that "due to the high volume of comments, we expect them to come back next year more 'jazzed-up'" . . . guess that didn't pan out . . .

freediverdude

Well, this year, because of the LoW and some other things, I decided not to get an annual pass, after having been a passholder for the past 10 years. Even in spite of the monthly payment program being offered.

The LoW, the changes in the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas parade (especially the new music made it very boring, even the kids weren't paying attention), increasingly the same merchandise in every shop, the dumbing down of Spaceship Earth, just too many things to list, all combined to give a feeling of less value.

I will still end up visiting WDW maybe 2-3 times this year (I've only been once so far this year, and will probably go one more time before the year is up), but it won't be the every month or two that I used to visit (I live in Tampa, so just a one hour drive).

In contrast, I've already been to Universal twice this year, and stayed in one of their onsite hotels once (no Disney hotel stays this year). So yes, we're starting to vote with our wallets.

Epcotian

Except last year Guest Relations at EPCOT was basically flooded with complaints due to the lack of LoW, at least according to a friend that works there.

And yet that flood of complaints led to..... apparently no changes in Disney's plans for LOW.

Why not? Because despite the vocal loyalists who were upset, the vast, vast majority of future guests will not realize it ever existed and will not miss it. Disney knows that and weights the complaints received in that light.

All I was saying is that we overestimate the impact of changes on the majority of WDW's clientele. The loyal repeat visitors are somewhat discounted in WDW planning IMO because... they're coming anyway. For every loyalist who defects and doesn't return, I imagine Disney is counting on creating at least one new loyalist among the new visitors (who don't miss LOW or Horizons or a working Yeti, etc etc).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And yet that flood of complaints led to..... apparently no changes in Disney's plans for LOW.

Why not? Because despite the vocal loyalists who were upset, the vast, vast majority of future guests will not realize it ever existed and will not miss it. Disney knows that and weights the complaints received in that light.

All I was saying is that we overestimate the impact of changes on the majority of WDW's clientele. The loyal repeat visitors are somewhat discounted in WDW planning IMO because... they're coming anyway. For every loyalist who defects and doesn't return, I imagine Disney is counting on creating at least one new loyalist among the new visitors (who don't miss LOW or Horizons or a working Yeti, etc etc).

Heaven help WDW if they're ever actually able to cultivate the AP base that DL has....

GLaDOS

Doesn't mean it's right. Eventually the multitude of cuts Disney has been doing the past decade will catch up to it, and even the newbies will realize something is up.

Disney was built on the ideals of going all out for your guests, and people expect that.

PixarfortheWin

Well, this year, because of the LoW and some other things, I decided not to get an annual pass, after having been a passholder for the past 10 years. Even in spite of the monthly payment program being offered.

The LoW, the changes in the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas parade (especially the new music made it very boring, even the kids weren't paying attention), increasingly the same merchandise in every shop, the dumbing down of Spaceship Earth, just too many things to list, all combined to give a feeling of less value.

I will still end up visiting WDW maybe 2-3 times this year (I've only been once so far this year, and will probably go one more time before the year is up), but it won't be the every month or two that I used to visit (I live in Tampa, so just a one hour drive).

In contrast, I've already been to Universal twice this year, and stayed in one of their onsite hotels once (no Disney hotel stays this year). So yes, we're starting to vote with our wallets.

I dont understand how you can complain about the value of Disney then say in the same breath that you have been the Universal twice and stayed at one of their hotels....seems very hypocritical since Universal has no value at all outside of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.....

PixarfortheWin

Doesn't mean it's right. Eventually the multitude of cuts Disney has been doing the past decade will catch up to it, and even the newbies will realize something is up.

Disney was built on the ideals of going all out for your guests, and people expect that.

Disney is also a company and they need to make money....and in this economy you have to cut back.....

PhilharMagician

Just curious, but where do you work now? In another thread you said you had worked in the Poly in the past.

I personally miss LOW, but I must admit that the structure looks crappy during the day. However at night the reflections from LOW off of the pools next to it are absolutely breathtaking.

Wow what is the quote I attached to this thread? The Mom must be doing some house cleaning. :D

Buried20KLeague

We used to take annual holiday trips to WDW, not any longer due to the abscence of Lights of Winter. I wore a "Bring Back Lights of Winter" button last year and got alot of feedback from front-line management that they couldn't believe the lights were gone themselves and wanted to know where I got the button.

I told Guest Relations I wouldn't be back this year, the person's response was that "due to the high volume of comments, we expect them to come back next year more 'jazzed-up'" . . . guess that didn't pan out . . .

So that means you were one of the 20 that complained to GR... I was one also... So there's 18 more out there somewhere.

I wonder if it was one of WDWMAGIC's 2,000 members... :lookaroun

:lol:

PixarfortheWin

So that means you were one of the 20 that complained to GR... I was one also... So there's 18 more out there somewhere.

I wonder if it was one of WDWMAGIC's 2,000 members... :lookaroun

:lol:

Oh yeah i wonder how the GR was able to handle the millions of complaints according to you...i mean the VAST majority of WDW goers were mad...that is what you said....

skenendy25

I personally could care less if it is gone. Disney does not owe anybody a explanation to why it was removed or why they aren't putting it back up. 20 people is a real minority compared to how many guests visit Epcot. What people should be ed at is why Disney keeps raising parking prices every couple of months. Was there last week and it was at $15. Really, what has changed in the parking lot that requires it to go that high.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I personally could care less if it is gone. Disney does not owe anybody a explanation to why it was removed or why they aren't putting it back up. 20 people is a real minority compared to how many guests visit Epcot. What people should be ed at is why Disney keeps raising parking prices every couple of months. Was there last week and it was at $15. Really, what has changed in the parking lot that requires it to go that high.

The number was much, much, much greater than 20.....

Buried20KLeague

I dont understand how you can complain about the value of Disney then say in the same breath that you have been the Universal twice and stayed at one of their hotels....seems very hypocritical since Universal has no value at all outside of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.....

Just dangling that bait out there waiting for someone to bite, huh? :lol:

Uni will be getting quite a bit larger piece of my vacation dollar in a couple weeks than it ever has before. For good reason.

captainkidd

What people should be ed at is why Disney keeps raising parking prices every couple of months. Was there last week and it was at $15. Really, what has changed in the parking lot that requires it to go that high.

To try and get more people to stay on site or have an AP.

PixarfortheWin

Just dangling that bait out there waiting for someone to bite, huh? :lol:

Uni will be getting quite a bit larger piece of my vacation dollar in a couple weeks than it ever has before. For good reason.

Really? What good reason....you complain about Disney yet Universal does the exact same thing and does a ton of things worse...hypocrite....but i guess having to pay for fastpass has real value...:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom