No mention of Lights of Winter in the 2010 holiday press release

donaldfan

Or just don't go for the holidays this year . . . like I'm (not) doing.

I live in the mid-atlantic and will be going to ICE at the National Harbor. Don Dorsey did a lighting display for National Harbor that I'm anxious to see!

DisneyNut2007

As was previously mentioned I can confirm the LoW arches are indeed in white shrink wrap on Woodpecker lane. Well something about the right size of the arches is anyways... My concern is that regardless of their current state they are not coming back. Relatively speaking the display does not cost all that much. I think WDWFigment hit it on the head. But there is some cost associated with its instillation, upkeep and so forth. TDO presumably has the resources to drop a few bulbs in and crane the things into place, yet they choose not to.

Overhaul it to use LED's? Great idea. They obviously know how to do this as they already did it next door. (Osborne was incans originally) This point alone makes me think we won't be seeing the LoW again.

As ,ed as I am about the removal of this attraction life goes on. Perhaps somebody has some scratch to build a theme park that would be museum pieces? LOW, Horizons, Toad, Etc.

Leave TDO out of this! :mad:

fillerup

I'm putting this here rather than the Sea World thread because I think it's salient with respect to LOW.

From the article:

"But this year guests will enjoy a very special new feature: The Sea of Trees. SeaWorld will have 74 large, fully decorated trees with lights that are choreographed to holiday music."

The full article on Sea World overlays and such:

Barb Nefer - the Examiner

jakeman

I'm putting this here rather than the Sea World thread because I think it's salient with respect to LOW.

From the article:

"But this year guests will enjoy a very special new feature: The Sea of Trees. SeaWorld will have 74 large, fully decorated trees with lights that are choreographed to holiday music."

The full article on Sea World overlays and such:

Barb Nefer - the Examiner
We should try and get that little nugget in the next "Holiday" blog about WDW at DisneyParks.com.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Just a quick question....did Epcot inherit the LoW from Disneyland Paris? I seem to remember that years ago, Main Street at DLP had arches of lights from one end of Main Street to the Hub. Anyone know?

SeaCastle

Another question...was there any sort of electrical fire iinvolving LoW? I had read there was on the RADP newsgroup, but wasn't sure if it was true.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I didn't like the location of DLP's LoW. It really clashed with the look of Main street.

I didn't like the look either. I also don't like the larger lamp posts that DLP Main Street has been sporting the last few years. Like you said about the arches, they also detract from the Victorian look.

Uncle Lupe

Lights of Winter was lame. Lights timed to music, wow! Osborne lights, a crap-tonne of lights timed to music, wow! Just give me decorations that enhance the experience not shove it down your throat.

If they would just use Tesla coils on top of LOW that would have helped bring it up to date. IMHO

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Lights of Winter was lame. Lights timed to music, wow! Osborne lights, a crap-tonne of lights timed to music, wow! Just give me decorations that enhance the experience not shove it down your throat.

If they would just use Tesla coils on top of LOW that would have helped bring it up to date. IMHO

LoW was very classic Epcot, and very elegant. It really brought a sense of the holidays to the park. It wasn't meant to be the Osborne lights. If you want that, got to the Studios.

janoimagine

LoW was very classic Epcot, and very elegant. It really brought a sense of the holidays to the park. It wasn't meant to be the Osborne lights. If you want that, got to the Studios.

Exactly, LoW were a very beautiful addition to Epcot, adding driving music and strobing effects to the arches would ruin the mood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom