No fastpasses available today?

doctornick

...you know, Disney might not have moved to such a restricted system if everyone didn't try to cheat and game everything that they do.

To be fair, the "problem" with (paper) FP superusers is that they were efficient in how they pulled Fastpasses, not that they were doing something "wrong" or "cheating the system" -- merely using it as allowed, but to the greatest benefit. And using it better than many guests who either failed to use the system at all or used it in a minimally beneficial way. I don't think, in general, that it was similar to the loophole that KTP has illustrated and is clearly a violation of hos FP+ is meant to be used.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be fair, the "problem" with (paper) FP superusers is that they were efficient in how they pulled Fastpasses, not that they were doing something "wrong" or "cheating the system" -- .

They gamed the system and Disney basically encouraged it under their misguided hands off policy. The issue ktp uncovered won't last long and is a different class of misuse as you said.

Goofyernmost

...you know, Disney might not have moved to such a restricted system if everyone didn't try to cheat and game everything that they do.
Ding Ding Ding!
Eh, I tend to think the number of people playing games like this w FP is miniscule. They moved to this for the data mining and supposed financial benefits IMO.
I suppose you could be right especially in this age of massive paranoia and mistrust. Let's all just go with the theory that Disney never does anything to improve a faulty system, they just want to find a way to mine something. No one has been able yet to tell me what they are able to mine that we, as individuals, should care about, but heck...lets go crazy with it anyway.

My theory is that if I go to Disney with $100.00 in my pocket to spend, my plan was to probably spend that much. No amount of "mining" will make that $100.00 more then what it is. So, I guess that it is us either assuming that the "magic" at Disney is actually real and they can somehow make that $100.00 into $200.00 and then we will spend it all with them. I guess that means that when we get home we can say that we spent twice as much as we planned, but it wasn't our fault. The Disney Devil made me do it.

Nemo14

I suppose you could be right especially in this age of massive paranoia and mistrust. Let's all just go with the theory that Disney never does anything to improve a faulty system, they just want to find a way to mine something. No one has been able yet to tell me what they are able to mine that we, as individuals, should care about, but heck...lets go crazy with it anyway.

My theory is that if I go to Disney with $100.00 in my pocket to spend, my plan was to probably spend that much. No amount of "mining" will make that $100.00 more then what it is. So, I guess that it is us either assuming that the "magic" at Disney is actually real and they can somehow make that $100.00 into $200.00 and then we will spend it all with them. I guess that means that when we get home we can say that we spent twice as much as we planned, but it wasn't our fault. The Disney Devil made me do it.
The thing is not everyone goes there with X amount of dollars in their pocket. Those who use credit cards are probably the more targeted "victims" here, since the bands make it so "easy" to use. Ultimately, it's still up to the individual to spend wisely.

doctornick

They gamed the system and Disney basically encouraged it under their misguided hands off policy.

I'm not really sure what you mean. They may have used the system in a manner and to an extent that was unexpected by Disney, but I don't see that as "gaming" the system. They were not using the system in a way that Disney did not allow (there may have been some folks doing something out of the scope of FP, I don't know, but I'm talking about your typical FP superuser who ran around the park and could get 7-12 FP in a day with effort and planning). I just don't have a problem with people using a system it is intended, but maximizing their benefit.

This KTP trick is an obvious circumventing of the rules, like lying to get a GAC or using old KTTW cards to draw excess FP. Disney should close the loop.

Goofyernmost

The thing is not everyone goes there with X amount of dollars in their pocket. Those who use credit cards are probably the more targeted "victims" here, since the bands make it so "easy" to use. Ultimately, it's still up to the individual to spend wisely.
Exactly correct. But it is so much more fun to blame Disney for our own gullibility. If you don't want to spend money don't. They won't shoot you. If one has a personality that is susceptible to spending more then they should, they need to bring an emergency companion with them to help put on the breaks. If that doesn't work then I guess it is OK to blame Disney because they are weak.

In my mind, if Disney's mining will manage to get more things that I like... mine away guys. If it's to get more money from me... good luck with that. :grumpy:

SSH

No, we are going to stay at Pop. We always stay there and love it. Also since he told me that no one will be able to "double dip" anymore since they just fixed that I figure it is a bit more even now. Some guests at other resorts can chose to do FP+. If so they will be just like us, limited. And it sounds like guests that pick paper FP will be limited too as there are less to go around now with FP+. I just really don't like that at Epcot you really only get 1 FP+. Still we love Pop and only want to stay there.

Are you going to switch? You said you were going the first week of Dec. right? Please let us know how it goes. I am very curious to see how this affects wait times and FP availability.

Will be in parks 12/2 and 12/3. Waiting to see whether anyone can confirm the "no more double dipping" promise CM told you. If it will finally be same rules for all resort guests, then no sense switching as I really like POP too. But if POP is still unfairly singled out, then probably will try to switch. I'm not a big FP user: would like just 1 FP in morning/afternoon park, as my 3 tiered choices are in 2nd evening park. I linked my 2010 paper tics, but still have the hard copies as backup for park entry if bands don't work...so still unsure about what's going on with that. Some posters have said I can trade them for plastic card at park that will let me access FP machine. Others have said that's no longer true: CMs who see my resort band won't allow it. So in "wait and see" mode.

darthspielberg

Will be in parks 12/2 and 12/3. Waiting to see whether anyone can confirm the "no more double dipping" promise CM told you. If it will finally be same rules for all resort guests, then no sense switching as I really like POP too. But if POP is still unfairly singled out, then probably will try to switch. I'm not a big FP user: would like just 1 FP in morning/afternoon park, as my 3 tiered choices are in 2nd evening park. I linked my 2010 paper tics, but still have the hard copies as backup for park entry if bands don't work...so still unsure about what's going on with that. Some posters have said I can trade them for plastic card at park that will let me access FP machine. Others have said that's no longer true: CMs who see my resort band won't allow it. So in "wait and see" mode.

It's not really singling out the POP, it's just that's where they started the whole band thing to begin with, so it makes sense to sort of start there again for this new wave of test. And the test is simply put because Disney does not want you or I, with our fancy MagicBands using the paper FP system. They consider that a gaming of the system and are trying to put a stop to it however they can, in this case, by slowly closing off access to it from the getgo, but even still if a cast member sees you with a MagicBand trying to print paper FP tickets, they have been asked to tell you not to do that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not really sure what you mean.

Maxing fp relied upon late returns - something that was not designed nor intended to be used as normal usage. Disney allowed it as guest recovery aka customer service grace. But when ppl used it as normal usage... That's gaming the grace Disney allowed. It got out of control once Disney got so lax cms basically encouraged it.

wogwog

Monday Nov 25. Another Post on Toy Story of course. Don't know the exact time paper FP ran out but they were gone before 9:40 for a 9:00 rope drop. Standby was 120 minutes. Some time before 10:00 all the Rock n' Rolller paper FP were gone for the day. Just caused by testing, right. By the way no more FP + or I call it FP minus is gone as well. Park open till 10 PM and EMH to 12 Midnight. It is a known issue have a magical day.

doctornick

Maxing fp relied upon late returns - something that was not designed nor intended to be used as normal usage. Disney allowed it as guest recovery aka customer service grace. But when ppl used it as normal usage... That's gaming the grace Disney allowed. It got out of control once Disney got so lax cms basically encouraged it.

Fair enough, but they already dealt with this by changing the policy to not allow late returns. Since that is no longer a factor, it doesn't justify a need to change the system and create FP+.

fosse76

I just spent five days at WDW testing the Magic Bands. I have a Premiere Passport, which Disney's IT department was able to link to my account about a week before the trip. I think the "linking" problem arises if you have ticket media that doesn't have RFID. I had switched my pass from Disneyland to the RFID-enabled pass during a day trip I took to WDW in July.

Technically, if you are using the Magic Bands, you shouldn't be using the legacy FPs. In my usage of FP+, I have come to the conclusion that FP+ and legacy FP are operating in two different systems. Disney is removing FP inventory from the legacy system and making it exclusively available to FP+. There was a discrepency with the availablity of FP+ vs. Legacy FP while I was there (no FP+ availability, but plenty of legacy FPs available). If true, that is why, if you have hard ticket media, you can still use both systems: they aren't tied together.

Pop Century just happens to be the resort chosen to test the new system in isolation, free of access to legacy FPs. Not unlike when other resorts were the only resorts testing FP+ and Magic Bands. And while it is disappointing that guests at Pop aren't able to utilize both systems, as I said above, techincally no one is supposed to be using both systems.

All that said, I hated the new system. The app was slow, the parks weren't crowded, and that level of microplanning just doesn't work for me. There were times where I did move around my FP+ times, but there were just as many times where I couldn't becuase there was no FP+ availability. When this fully rolls out I definitely won't be happy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Fair enough, but they already dealt with this by changing the policy to not allow late returns. Since that is no longer a factor, it doesn't justify a need to change the system and create FP+.

The sad thing was they only started enforcing return times as a way to transition to FP+ and wouldn't do it when and where it needed it (like at DLR still).

doctornick

The sad thing was they only started enforcing return times as a way to transition to FP+ and wouldn't do it when and where it needed it (like at DLR still).

I thought they were now enforcing return times at DLR? I haven't been recently, but that changed earlier this year (maybe in the March to May time period) about a year after WDW changed.

Goofyernmost

Monday Nov 25. Another Post on Toy Story of course. Don't know the exact time paper FP ran out but they were gone before 9:40 for a 9:00 rope drop. Standby was 120 minutes. Some time before 10:00 all the Rock n' Rolller paper FP were gone for the day. Just caused by testing, right. By the way no more FP + or I call it FP minus is gone as well. Park open till 10 PM and EMH to 12 Midnight. It is a known issue have a magical day.
Just a personal thought here... there is absolutely no justification for lines being that long at Toy Story. Why? Because there is nothing, nothing, nothing, did I mention, nothing about the attraction that makes it worth a wait that is that long. What motivates people to stand in that line for that amount of time will always remain a mystery to me. I know, it's just me...but there isn't the chance of a snowball in hell that I would ever throw away that much of my life to go on it. It was there for 6 years before I ever saw it and that was because I was able to get a FP that fit in with my touring. If not for that I still would not have seen it. Now that I have, I am feeling pretty good about myself because it proved me right. Just not worth the wait.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just a personal thought here... there is absolutely no justification for lines being that long at Toy Story. Why? Because there is nothing, nothing, nothing, did I mention, nothing about the attraction that makes it worth a wait that is that long

To you...

What motivates people to stand in that line for that amount of time will always remain a mystery to me. I know, it's just me...but there isn't the chance of a snowball in hell that I would ever throw away that much of my life to go on it

That's right.. just you.

Now that I have, I am feeling pretty good about myself because it proved me right. Just not worth the wait.

Proved yourself right? To you...

The fact the attraction has maintained lines for years.. on both coasts.. has proven there are many many more who feel differently.

Goofyernmost

To you...

That's right.. just you.

Proved yourself right? To you...

The fact the attraction has maintained lines for years.. on both coasts.. has proven there are many many more who feel differently.
Well, to be honest, I was talking about myself which is primarily why I started it with "just a personal thought here". Honestly, if someone wants so spend hours standing in line to experience about 4 minutes playing an over-sized video game, I can think of no reason why I would care. And I don't. I am and was saying that I, that's me, not someone else, would not do it. And because I feel that way, I don't understand why anyone would. I accept that obviously they do, but just because it happens doesn't mean that I think it is worthwhile. But, that does apply to everything. I have stated before and I will state again that there has never been a theme park attraction that, in my opinion, justifies hours of wait time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom