No fastpasses available today?

CTXRover

:jawdrop:
With the opening of Diagon Alley coming this summer, MagicBands could become MagicBombs!
Off to another day in the parks, but now actually experiencing FP+ and magic bands, and at risk of being branded a pixie dust snorter, I still don't understand the incessant negativity towards them. I realize that as of now it is just resort guests with them and not yet everyone and we may just be the luckiest family ever using them, but I can honestly say I am now a fan of the whole thing. I understand its not yet fully rolled out, but it has made our trip much easier.

Case in point, booked (well changed) FP+ for DHS 2 days before going to that park. Rode TSM, Great movie ride, Star Tours, Muppets, TOT and RNRC in a little over 3hrs. It sems minor, but it was so nice to be able to walk down Sunset BLVD once to ride RNRC and TOT with FP already in hand back to back. Never could have done that before.

Last edited:

NowInc

:jawdrop:

Off to another day in the parks, but now actually experiencing FP+ and magic bands, and at risk of being branded a pixie dust snorter, I still don't understand the incessant negativity towards them. I realize that as of now it is just resort guests with them and not yet everyone and we may just be the luckiest family ever using them, but I can honestly say I am now a fan of the whole thing. I understand its not yet fully rolled out, but it has made our trip much easier.

Case in point, booked (well changed) FP+ for DHS 2 days before going to that park. Rode TSM, Great movie ride, Star Tours, Muppets, TOT and RNRC in a little over 3hrs. It sems minor, but it was so nice to be able to walk down Sunset BLVD once to ride RNRC and TOT with FP already in hand back to back. Never could have done that before.

I have been actively changing my FP+ reservations every day for the last 2 weeks with never any issue. I arrive tonight and will test my "same day" FP switch tomorrow and sunday. The whole "You must book 60 days in advance or you're doomed!" reaction is so far...false. Obviously..this can change once its rolled out officially..but so far so good

CTXRover

I have been actively changing my FP+ reservations every day for the last 2 weeks with never any issue. I arrive tonight and will test my "same day" FP switch tomorrow and sunday. The whole "You must book 60 days in advance or you're doomed!" reaction is so far...false. Obviously..this can change once its rolled out officially..but so far so good

You probably will be able to make same day changes without problems. The doomsday posts have been wrong IMO. Again, I recognize it isn't fully rolled out, but we've experienced no problems changing FP+ times or experiences, no long waits beyond maybe 10 people to check in at the FP+ posts (including TSM) have seen only on rare occasion somebody's band not turn Mickey green, one because they were coming back at the wrong time, no long lines at guest relations when we walked by, etc.

In all fairness, we were behind a guy yesterday whose pass didn't work to get in the gates (not a band) and he told the CM that this was the third new card and none of them worked for getting in his room or parks do far. We've also seen some shorter kids have a hard time reaching up to the FP posts with their bands and keeping them in the right direction.

Last edited:

Tigger1988

Right. I've been able to change FP selections with minimal issues. The only park I encountered a problem changing selections in is Animal Kingdom, we'll be going to the park later than originally expected and later times aren't available for Dinosaur and Lion King. Every other park I can book and change FPs for whatever time I want. I arrive in 2 weeks.

asianway

Gee, I wonder what's going to happen if TSM goes down and everyone holding FP+s for that time frame gets their FP canceled. What then? I guess they are outta luck and I wouldn't be surprised if some adult truly melts down over it.
S O L

All the people saying how great it is to switch FP+ times during the test phase are going to be sorely disappointed at the scraps left when the system goes 100% live.

ToTBellHop

S O L

All the people saying how great it is to switch FP+ times during the test phase are going to be sorely disappointed at the scraps left when the system goes 100% live.
When Midway Mania goes down, they'll still be able to EXCLUSIVELY book a meet and grope with Minnie Mouse!

ParentsOf4

Please keep in mind that for the first few years after FP was introduced, it often was possible to get a FP return time earlier than the posted Standby wait time. For example, it was possible to get a FP return time for Peter Pan in 30 minutes while the Standby line was 50 minutes. (I did this quite a lot on many attractions. :))

It took the public time to get used to FP. Now, for example, lots know they need to hurry to TSM at opening to get a good FP return time.

It will take time for guests to get used to the new system. Currently, those of us on this forum are better informed than 95% (99%?) of WDW guests. Once the general public becomes familiar with FP+, FP+ for popular attractions will be similar to ADRs.

FP+ does not add capacity. The same ride capacity problems that exist with FP will exist with FP+.

Tigger1988

So you apparently skipped my entire explanation just one page ago on how the system *actually* works when a ride goes 101... :rolleyes:

-Rob
Because its far easier to try and spread things that aren't true rather than read others posts that clarify subjects accurately :) Seems to be a common trend here.
Some seem to think if they repeat falsehoods enough times that it'll eventually be true.

mmouse

I still believe that if you take all the wait times in the entire park for both standby and FP the actual times added up pre FP+ will be the same under the new system. The times will just switch from standby to FP and FP to Standby. In order for the wait time at HM standby to increase people will have to go through the HM FP+ line which will increase the standby time. Well where are these guests coming from? The answer is another line. Could be standby line at HM or standby at BTMRR. In this example the wait time for HM may have gone up but the line for BTMRR went down. It all revolves around capacity and a guest can only be in 1 place at a time.

This wont help the demand for big rides like Soarin and TSMM, I do believe it will be hard to get good times for these rides but for other parts of the parks, the above example tells an interesting story. Unfortunately when you know how to get around a park easily and efficiently, like many on here do, our wait times will likely be increased under the current way of visiting a park.

ParentsOf4

I still believe that if you take all the wait times in the entire park for both standby and FP the actual times added up pre FP+ will be the same under the new system. The times will just switch from standby to FP and FP to Standby. In order for the wait time at HM standby to increase people will have to go through the HM FP+ line which will increase the standby time. Well where are these guests coming from? The answer is another line. Could be standby line at HM or standby at BTMRR. In this example the wait time for HM may have gone up but the line for BTMRR went down. It all revolves around capacity and a guest can only be in 1 place at a time.

This wont help the demand for big rides like Soarin and TSMM, I do believe it will be hard to get good times for these rides but for other parts of the parks, the above example tells an interesting story. Unfortunately when you know how to get around a park easily and efficiently, like many on here do, our wait times will likely be increased under the current way of visiting a park.
I also think the total wait time of all guests should remain relatively constant, once things settle down. This is a transitional period and it will be difficult to apply observations made at this time to FP+ a year from now.

However ...

FP+ will redistribute wait times. WDW experts, those who know how to obtain more than 3 FP per day, will almost certainly wait longer. Others should wait less. Furthermore, assuming onsite guests continue to have a booking advantage (60 days + 10 days), onsite guests will wait less than offsite guests. Locals might be particularly impacted since they tend to be WDW experts who typically don't stay onsite. Let's see what Disney does for local AP holders.

FP+ will change the way guests tour the parks; that's certain. It's designed to have guests prebook. That's very different than having to be at the parks for rope drop for certain attractions.

What no one can predict with certainty is what additional effects FP+ will have. For example, with long Standby lines on attractions that previously did not have FP (e.g. POTC or HM), will fewer decide to wait for them? Alternatively, with FP+ more evenly distributed (each person can only have 1 FP+ per attraction), will that encourage more to get into the longer second tier Standby lines since they waited less for first tier attractions? Will the preplanning scare away guests? Will it keep them onsite more?

I wish I knew. However, I'm sure the strategies we've successfully employed in the past with FP will have to be adopted for FP+. And I'm sure it will take some time before we see FP+ settle into its normal pattern.

ExtinctJenn

WDW experts, those who know how to obtain more than 3 FP per day, will almost certainly wait longer.
Being very confused by this statement I have to ask... how will one be able to get more than 3 FP a day after this goes live? As I've understood it, the only reason that's possible today is because of the two different systems and the ability to get a KTTW card in addition to your band right?

Dragonrider1227

A friend of mine is currently at WDW with his family and just posted that there are no (paper) fastpasses available for Toy Story Mania, Soarin' or Test Track. He said that they are currently unable to add the rides to their magic band accounts and that there is quite a crowd of very unhappy people gathering in front of TSM. Anybody know what's going on today? Is this a sign of things to come?
No Fastpass for TSM? PANIC IN THE PARKS!!!!!

ParentsOf4

Being very confused by this statement I have to ask... how will one be able to get more than 3 FP a day after this goes live? As I've understood it, the only reason that's possible today is because of the two different systems and the ability to get a KTTW card in addition to your band right?
Please note that I wrote FP, not FP+.

Those who under the old FP system knew how to obtain more than 3 FP will be limited to 3 FP+. Under the old system, I often had days where I obtained over a dozen FP per day.

Bairstow

No Fastpass for TSM? PANIC IN THE PARKS!!!!!
index.jpg

ExtinctJenn

Please note that I wrote FP, not FP+.

Those who under the old FP system knew how to obtain more than 3 FP will be limited to 3 FP+. Under the old system, I often had days where I obtained over a dozen FP per day.
Right I get that... but under the new system there won't be any way to do that, whether you're using FP+ or kiosks for a "traditional" FP right? If you have FP+ you get your 3 reservations. If you don't, you use the kiosks, and are still limited to only 3 right? I'm asking because I'm honestly trying to figure it out... others in the thread may be being a smartass or arguing with you, I'm just asking. :)

Tigger1988

Someone on Twitter posted a pic of the email guests receive if their selected attraction is down during their return window. They are provided with a full list of other FP+ attractions (headline attractions included) they can visit through the end of the day, including their original option if it reopens.

So much for SOL.

ParentsOf4

Right I get that... but under the new system there won't be any way to do that, whether you're using FP+ or kiosks for a "traditional" FP right? If you have FP+ you get your 3 reservations. If you don't, you use the kiosks, and are still limited to only 3 right? I'm asking because I'm honestly trying to figure it out... others in the thread may be being a smartass or arguing with you, I'm just asking. :)
Eventually, FP will go away. Completely.

During this transitional period, it has been possible to use both FP and FP+ systems simultaneously. That means you could get 3 FP+ selection and as many FP as possible for attractions that previously supported FP. Moving forward, those with FP+ will not be able to use FP while those using FP will find it increasingly difficult to get good FP return times.

All onsite guests now have access to FP+. WDW has ~30,000 onsite rooms. With an average occupancy rate of around 80% and an average of perhaps 3 guests per room, that means ~72,000 onsite guests per day using FP+. With 3 FP+ per guest, that's a lot of attraction capacity being used by FP+. And that's on an average day.

As onsite guests become increasingly familiar with FP+, it will become increasingly difficult to use FP for popular attractions.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom