No fastpasses available today?

Admiral01

Premium Member
We've tried to use our MagicBands, with no success. They haven't successfully linked to our tickets. We've had to get replacement MagicBands...the first set we had for a day never worked, and now the second set doesn't work. They don't open our resort door. They don't work for charging. I can't get my AP to link to it. We can't get the normal 5 day parkhoppers for the rest of my party to link to theirs. I've spent more time at Guest Services on this trip for a MagicBand that does nothing to enhance my visit even if it worked correctly. What an incredible waste. I am still carrying my AP, my Key to the World room card key, and getting FPs the old fashioned way...except today...

Massive fail. We started the day at EPCOT, where there were no Fast Passes available for Soarin or Test Track.

This is what Disney does with $1.5B? I can't wait until someone asks for feedback for this idiotic program.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right now, that seems laughable because there seems to be a lot of extra front-line personnel dealing specifically with the MagicBand. For example, there are CM roaming the turnstiles dealing with issues as they pop-up, and there are two people stationed at FP+ entry points instead of the one person that has been there in the past.

It's pretty obvious that Iger era Disney does not GET technology, The TDO exec making the preso thought thihat IT was magic and waving a wand and wishing it so would bring the infrastructure into existance, The lack ot real testing etc shows this mindset.

danv3

NGE was probably sold to the BOD as a way of cutting staffing by 1/3 as based on FP selection they would know exactly when guests would be in park etc etc etc

I think that's part of the motivation. It's also why they've tried to discourage park hopping (although inadvertently they have encouraged park hopping...as I see it, FP+ is better used in your second park of the day...you should still do the rope drop run at your morning park).

Bairstow

We've tried to use our MagicBands, with no success. They haven't successfully linked to our tickets. We've had to get replacement MagicBands...the first set we had for a day never worked, and now the second set doesn't work. They don't open our resort door. They don't work for charging. I can't get my AP to link to it. We can't get the normal 5 day parkhoppers for the rest of my party to link to theirs. I've spent more time at Guest Services on this trip for a MagicBand that does nothing to enhance my visit even if it worked correctly. What an incredible waste. I am still carrying my AP, my Key to the World room card key, and getting FPs the old fashioned way...except today...

Massive fail. We started the day at EPCOT, where there were no Fast Passes available for Soarin or Test Track.

This is what Disney does with $1.5B? I can't wait until someone asks for feedback for this idiotic program.
When did you check in?

Check your math. 100 minutes is 1 hour and 40 minutes. Worse even. The biggest number I have ever seen was 300 minutes, yes 5 hours when the reworked TT reopened. I do not go on anything over 15 minutes. No patience.
OMG, you people are serious about the minute wait times. Who in their right mind would wait this long for a ride??? No wonder GAC was in such high demand, I mean abuse. Given these wait times, DAS isn't looking too bad either (autism anyone?). As a September visitor, I had no idea. My apologies.

NearTheEars

After free transportation, EMH is the only reason I stay on site. And the fact that EMH has already been shortened stinks. 3 fast passes can in no way replace the feeling of riding space mountain 3 times in a row with no wait, or riding test track at 10 o clock at night.

Now that's something I've never experienced: Test Track at night!

RSoxNo1

Good grief....

Digital FP is good.

Paper FP is a PITA.

HOWEVER......

Booking ride ressies 60 days in advance is RIDICULOUS. I love the idea of not having to trek back and forth across Future World to secure a FP. But why not just make all FP day of? Why this advanced booking nonsense? Wake up on a Tuesday, decide you want to go to DHS, book your FP on the bus on the way over. Easy peasy.
Yes, I completely agree - Digital Fastpass is great, but for some stupid reason Disney feels the need to change the distribution rules as well.

ParentsOf4

After full roll-out, FP+ will work with a MagicBand *or* an RFID ticket card. Yes, the Band is a perk for on-site Guests, but the Card works the same way as the Band for admission and FP+.
For those who are still under the (IMO incorrect) assumption that FP+ is and will be strictly a perk for on-site Guests, I ask you why Disney would put it so visible on the WDW website, with no mention that it's for on-site guests only, if it's not intended to be for everyone after the full roll-out. Yes, it's a bit tricky right now because of the testing, but when everyone has access to it it'll even the playing field.
The goal of FP+ is to get as many to prebook as much of their vacations at WDW as possible. Onsite or offsite, corporate Disney wants your money. Recall it was Disney CFO Jay Rasulo who announced:

“So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet.”

Corporate Disney wants everyone to preplan, wants everyone to participate in FP+.

The problem is WDW has a ride capacity problem on its headliner attractions. At three theme parks, the problem is epic.

Rather than solve the issue by adding capacity (I like what they did with Dumbo), Disney has invested heavily in the three major components of MyMagic+ (MM+): My Disney Experience, FP+, and MagicBands.

With MM+, corporate Disney is trying to take an approach common in corporate America today: contain operating costs while simultaneously growing revenue by focusing on key accounts.

Disney needs to target their best customers more effectively. Onsite guests are particularly important to Disney's plans because they stay at WDW’s highly profitable resorts (margins are incredible), are more likely to eat within the World, and tend to spend big on merchandise and other cash experiences. In Vegas parlance, onsite guests are the high rollers. Recently, too many having been traveling up I-4 to spend their vacation dollars elsewhere. Disney has to do something to keep them onsite. This means, one way or the other, providing onsite guests with a better experience.

We’ve already seen two moves designed to do exactly this.

First, onsite guests will be able to book their FP+ experiences at 60 days plus 10 days from the start of their trips. This is similar to the existing policy for Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR). Onsite guests have an advantage. They will be able to book their FP+ experiences earlier. Short-term, it’s going to take most onsite guests time to figure this out but, eventually, they will get the hang of it. Once they do, most offsite guests will find it extremely difficult to obtain FP+ for high-demand/low-capacity attractions such as Toy Story Mania.

Second, as a result of FP+ feedback, Disney has decided to let guests pick whatever 3 FP+ experiences they want. It seems those testing the system didn’t like being forced into lesser experiences (sorry Figment). Along with the first policy, just think what a tremendous advantage this will be for onsite guests. By being an uber planner (which is what Disney wants), onsite guests will be able to book their Epcot FP+ experiences for Soarin’, Test Track, and Mission: Space. Guess what offsite guests will be offered.

Eventually, everyone will “participate” in FP+, if FP+ experiences at Epcot for Figment, Nemo, and Living with the Land can be considered “participation”.

In addition to increasing revenue, Disney intends to use MM+ to reduce operating expense. One of the biggest expenses targeted is Extra Magic Hours (EMH), WDW’s best but most expensive onsite perk. Disney already has started reducing hours and has a long term objective to eliminate it. (BTW, I’m not convinced they ever will be able to eliminate Morning EMH since this is offered for “The Boy Who Won’t Be Named” and is very successful there.) With EMH either eliminated or reduced, we have to ask ourselves: What onsite perk will replace EMH? The obvious answer is FP+ and MagicBands.

Overwhelmingly, corporate Disney has a positive public image. Disney leadership is simply taking advantage of this asset to grow revenue. That’s why, for example, ticket prices have increased 25% in three years. FP+ continues this trend by focusing WDW resources to implement further revenue growth by maximizing resource utilization. Alternatively, if you prefer, give more to the “haves” and less to the “have nots”. Those running the show in Burbank don’t view this as wrong. Quite the contrary, they view it as smart.

Always remember that FP+ does not increase capacity; it simply changes how existing capacity is allocated. Some will gain; some will lose. Corporate Disney wants those spending the most to gain the most. It’s good business for corporate Disney.

You’ll have to decide if it’s good for you.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

How is it a bad business practice to reward people staying loyal to your company by staying a a resort you operate? It's a perk.

Yes, it really sucks they changed the system, but it is absolutely not unfair to give special perk to a guest staying on site vs. a guest spending their money elsewhere.

The only bad business decision was not to make Fastpass resort only, or for a premium from the start. With as greedy as many believe TDO to be, I'm surprised it was free to begin with.

Let your wallets do the talking folks. That's the best way to be heard!
It creates a class system that's harder to explain than something like the Express Pass system. Think of all the guests that can't get into dinner at Be Our Guest because they're not staying on property and/or didn't reserve it at 180+ days out. Now consider that's just a dining location and this is going to be rolled out for every marquee attraction in the four parks. If these last few days are any indication this is going to be a total catastrophe.

RSoxNo1

According to a MK Supervisor in Attractions:

They are currently being installed with more planned. Because of complexity, glitches, and a bad idea it is not ready for primetime. They are adding more as fast as possible and will have a cast member stationed at each area as well as a GR person. It takes two folks to replace paper FP machines with one folk. Some of the kiosks are actually going in where a former paper FP machine was. So look for them around the paper FP machines. The locations of the kiosks that WDW thought would be sufficient are located separately in other areas. My friend believes they have added another 150 to 180 more people to be placed near all of the kiosks. Yeah, Fast Pass minus is really working well. At least they are creating jobs. Sarc.

This is only for MK I do not know about the other parks. Kiosks in addition to old paper FP locations are in the Adventureland Breezeway near the restrooms, City Hall, Fantasy Faire, and Storybook Circus.
This was one of many short sighted aspects of all this. These kiosks should have already been in place at all existing Fastpass locations. Even though many people carry smart phones, many people are simply uninformed of the process and wouldn't expect to be able to do such things on their phone. Having the in park kiosks is a must, and in order for this be a convenience, there needs to be a lot of them.

NearTheEars

The goal of FP+ is to get as many to prebook as much of their vacations at WDW as possible. Onsite or offsite, corporate Disney wants your money. Recall it was Disney CFO Jay Rasulo who announced:

“So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet.”

Corporate Disney wants everyone to preplan, wants everyone to participate in FP+.

The problem is WDW has a ride capacity problem on its headliner attractions. At three theme parks, the problem is epic.

Rather than solve the issue by adding capacity (I like what they did with Dumbo), Disney has invested heavily in the three major components of MyMagic+ (MM+): My Disney Experience, FP+, and MagicBands.

With MM+, corporate Disney is trying to take an approach common in corporate America today: contain operating costs while simultaneously growing revenue by focusing on key accounts.

Disney needs to target their best customers more effectively. Onsite guests are particularly important to Disney's plans because they stay at WDW’s highly profitable resorts (margins are incredible), are more likely to eat within the World, and tend to spend big on merchandise and other cash experiences. In Vegas parlance, onsite guests are the high rollers. Recently, too many having been traveling up I-4 to spend their vacation dollars elsewhere. Disney has to do something to keep them onsite. This means, one way or the other, providing onsite guests with a better experience.

First, onsite guests will be able to book their FP+ experiences at 60 days plus 10 days from the start of their trips. This is similar to the existing policy for Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR). Onsite guests have an advantage. They will be able to book their FP+ experiences earlier. Short-term, it’s going to take most onsite guests time to figure this out but, eventually, they will get the hang of it. Once they do, most offsite guests will find it extremely difficult to obtain FP+ for high-demand/low-capacity attractions such as Toy Story Mania.

Second, as a result of FP+ feedback, Disney has decided to let guests pick whatever 3 FP+ experiences they want. It seems those testing the system didn’t like being forced into lesser experiences (sorry Figment). Along with the first policy, just think what a tremendous advantage this will be for onsite guests. By being an uber planner (which is what Disney wants), onsite guests will be able to book their Epcot FP+ experiences for Soarin’, Test Track, and Mission: Space. Guess what offsite guests will be offered?

Eventually, everyone will “participate” in FP+, if FP+ experiences at Epcot for Figment, Nemo, and Living with the Land can be considered “participation”.

In addition to increasing revenue, Disney intends to use MM+ to reduce operating expense. One of the biggest expenses targeted is Extra Magic Hours (EMH), WDW’s best but most expensive onsite perk. Disney already has started reducing hours and has a long term objective to eliminate it. (BTW, I’m not convinced they ever will be able to eliminate Morning EMH since this is offered for “The Boy Who Won’t Be Named” and is very successful there.) With EMH either eliminated or reduced, we have to ask ourselves: What onsite perk will replace EMH? The obvious answer is FP+ and MagicBands.

Overwhelmingly, corporate Disney has a positive public image. Disney leadership is simply taking advantage of this asset to grow revenue. That’s why, for example, ticket prices have increased 25% in three years. FP+ continues this trend by focusing WDW resources to implement further revenue growth by maximizing resource utilization. Alternatively, if you prefer, give more to the “haves” and less to the “have nots”. Those running the show in Burbank don’t view this as wrong. Quite the contrary, they view it as smart.

Always remember that FP+ does not increase capacity; it simply changes how existing capacity is allocated. Some will gain; some will lose. Corporate Disney wants those spending the most to gain the most. It’s good business for corporate Disney.

Exactly!

RSoxNo1

Okay, here's some data from New Year's Eve 2012 to put this in perspective:

On NYE 2012, Soarin' ran out of Fastpasses (which stopped at 9 pm I think) around 11 am, or 45 minutes later than yesterday's Wednesday in mid-October.
Test Track hit a 9pm Fastpass distribution time around 11:10 am, or 40 minutes later than yesterday.

I really doubt that crowds at Epcot were substantially larger yesterday than New Year's Eve. So my guess is that it was Fastpass+ allocations or a glitch.

It's probably also the same thing at the Studios, but I haven't looked at the data.
Thanks as always for supporting/supplying the community with facts.

Disney, this is a situation that better be a glitch. If this is a sign of things to come, you're going to get your a$$ kicked even more so than you already are by Universal.

AdventureHasAName

Second, as a result of FP+ feedback, Disney has decided to let guests pick whatever 3 FP+ experiences they want. It seems those testing the system didn’t like being forced into lesser experiences (sorry Figment). Along with the first policy, just think what a tremendous advantage this will be for onsite guests. By being an uber planner (which is what Disney wants), onsite guests will be able to book their Epcot FP+ experiences for Soarin’, Test Track, and Mission: Space. Guess what offsite guests will be offered?

I agree with everything you wrote, except for the next to last sentence: "It's good business for corporate Disney." It's not good business for corporate Disney. It's good business for corporate Disney in the very-short-term, but it's horrible business for corporate Disney long term. They are trading goodwill (something that takes decades to build and, in Disney's case, generally starts as a child - so if you miss the window, you've likely missed the customer for life) for short term $. That may be a strategy that is smart (or necessary) if you're a barely-profitable company on the verge of going out of business. For a multi-billion dollar-a-year company, it couldn't be more stupid.

wogwog

Right now, that seems laughable because there seems to be a lot of extra front-line personnel dealing specifically with the MagicBand. For example, there are CM roaming the turnstiles dealing with issues as they pop-up, and there are two people stationed at FP+ entry points instead of the one person that has been there in the past.
The extra cast necessary over the "old way" is at least a few hundred at the MK alone when you add on extra GR and the new Kiosk folks just added. That has to be an unpleasant surprise to Disney. Disney has recently posted recruitment posting on bulletin boards in backstage areas I have been told asking for transfers from other areas. Then they will of course have to backfill the transferring cast with new hires. Not what Disney had planned for the new wonderful + + stuff.

JimboJones123

I was at Epcot yesterday, and the standby lines were not especially short or fast moving. We went by Soarin' a few of times, and the wait times were between 70 and a 100 minutes and Test Track was running around 60 minutes when we went through with FP+. I am not sure what happened yesterday, but there didn't seem to be any FP+ issues today.

Like I said, I have had no major issues this week with FP+ (other than my daughter's not working once), but I do see the potential for problems. I think it would be great as a resort perk IF the regular fastpasses were kept, but I think it's problematic as a stand alone system.

I have pictures today of the 30+ person deep Splash Mountain line to get into the FP+ queue that I will try to post when I get home. That sort of issue is only get worse as more resorts start getting the Magicbands. I am not sure what they can do other than add more scanners to the line. Even when used correctly (which often doesn't seem to be happening), it takes a second or two for the bands to register with the scanner. The Mickey head on the band has to be positioned correctly and touch the scanner so parents and CM are having to assist small children which delays it even further. If the scanner was sensitive enough so that waving the band over it would work (like a bar code scanner maybe), I think it would be more efficient.

Entry into MK has been fairly easy since you are allowed through the turnstiles before park opening. Entry at Epcot was an absolute nightmare. We had issues with my daughter's MagicBand at AK so it took us a while to get in. We were there for EMH so the lines were short, and it still took us about ten minutes. We go to DHS tomorrow, but we will also be there for EMH so I am not sure if that will provide good insight into what a normal entry looks like.

Oh, and all week, I have only seen two people wearing the "I'm with the Band" T-shirts so that's a positive. :) I am proud that most people are avoid the dorkiness of that.
I have seen far too many 30+ (sometimes 50+) person waits to get into the "new" Fastpass+ lines the past 2 weeks.

This full resort roll out has really started to expose some cracks in the armor.

JimboJones123

The extra cast necessary over the "old way" is at least a few hundred at the MK alone when you add on extra GR and the new Kiosk folks just added. That has to be an unpleasant surprise to Disney. Disney has recently posted recruitment posting on bulletin boards in backstage areas I have been told asking for transfers from other areas. Then they will of course have to backfill the transferring cast with new hires. Not what Disney had planned for the new wonderful + + stuff.
So what, like an extra $3-5k a day in new expenses? That's an entire stage show's daily budget, isn't it? Or the daily cost of running another B/C Ticket attraction.

Yet another loss beyond the billions already invested.

MissM

And if someone's lack of planning leaves them at a disadvantage that's their own fault, honestly.
So people today who aren't participating in a test or who are AP's and blocked out of the system until who knows when- it's their "own fault" for now being suck in artificially inflated standby lines? And is it still "your own fault" when the system rolls out completely and you're not in a nice, select group of people getting to use the service, but a mass stampede of tens of thousands all trying to book the same slots for the headliner attractions?

I think it's exceptionally short-sighted to say people who aren't taking full advantage of the new system are to blame for having less than magical visits when the system is not even remotely fully operational nor accessible to everyone yet!

Tigger1988

So people today who aren't participating in a test or who are AP's and blocked out of the system until who knows when- it's their "own fault" for now being suck in artificially inflated standby lines? And is it still "your own fault" when the system rolls out completely and you're not in a nice, select group of people getting to use the service, but a mass stampede of tens of thousands all trying to book the same slots for the headliner attractions?

I think it's exceptionally short-sighted to say people who aren't taking full advantage of the new system are to blame for having less than magical visits when the system is not even remotely fully operational nor accessible to everyone yet!
Reading is fundamental, "lack of planning" infers that the people in question have full access to the program and don't take proper advantage. Also I'm an AP and had zero issue obtaining Magic Bands and access to FP+.

If you have full access to the system and choose not to use it you only have yourself to blame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom