No fastpasses available today?

ctxak98

And to be fair...most people who don't plan ahead are already hurt by their lack of planning.
well we plan out what days were going to each park and usually which FP we want first! But by these statistics, there wont be any by the time we get to the park! which is usually 9

asianway

Agreed. And frankly, EMH needs to be overhauled, but it should not be eliminated. I don't equate getting an extra 10 days to plan out FPs an equal perk of getting extra time in the park. A decision like this would make me heavily reconsider ever staying on property again.
Charge a nominal fee like E ride nights-maybe $20 in today's onerous pricing & some type of exclusive entertainment for 3 hours & I think you have a compromise everyone can live with

doctornick

that's is true, I just wish it was more even. I am sorry but I don't want to know exactly when were doing what at each park, that is just crazy!

I tend to agree. Although I personally will benefit from this new system, I think it it tilts the field too much towards people who stay on site and plan. I'd be in favor of keeping some of the features, but changing the execution -- only 1 or 2 FP+ ahead of time, opening the booking window maybe 1-2 weeks out, holding a significant amount of FP+ to be released day of. This would help maintain keep the gap closer between planners and spontaneous folks.

That said, my point was that people bemoaning that the system is terrible and harmful to guests do ignore that there are people with significant benefit from it. It's not across the board bad for everyone. I mean, being on a plane flying to Orlando and knowing that you already have a FP+ for TSMM for that evening? How can anyone deny that this would be a significant perk?

doctornick

But nobody is getting more. The people in the hotels will not be spending less time in line. They only get X number of FPs. When they line up for the other rides, they're now standing in line longer, too. So they're right where they started. Everyone else waits longer all the time and is worse off than before...but nobody is better off.

Somebody has to be getting more. It is impossible for wait times to increase for everyone. The capacity of the rides have no changed -- and, if FP+ is effective in getting people to utilize non-filled attractions like COP or HOP then it should help to reduce total wait times in the parks.

luv

Somebody has to be getting more. It is impossible for wait times to increase for everyone. The capacity of the rides have no changed -- and, if FP+ is effective in getting people to utilize non-filled attractions like COP or HOP then it should help to reduce total wait times in the parks.
They'll increase for many and stay the same for some. We are already seeing longer waits for Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc.

I have yet to see any benefit to anyone except the people who received chunks of the billion dollars. Well, some people are excited to wear the wristbands, so that is a plus for them. Other people don't like the wristbands, so it's a minus for them.

Tigger1988

But is it making it worse on guests? I have a trip scheduled for December and I now have reserved FP+ for rides every day. The day I arrive, we are going to Epcot but won't get there until mid-day and I already have FP+ for Soarin' and Test Track. On the day I leave, we are going to DHS in the AM and I have FP+ for TSMM, TOT and Star Tours in the AM already (kids are too short for RNR right now). On a day where I am splitting between parks, I have FP+ for MK in the evening. On another day, I have FP+ for Splash and BTMM right back to back in the middle of the afternoon. And so on.

It seems to me that I am benefiting from the new system. I don't have to run to the park at RD to get passes for big rides because I already have them and I can fit them into my schedule. Obviously, there are others in other situation who are going to be disadvantaged by the system; I certainly would not deny that. But my point is that people tend to be focusing on only the negatives and not the potential benefits.

As others have said, it seems likely that the number of total FP is going to be the same for major rides. The difference is in how they are distributed. So, what I expect to happen is that people will learn to adapt to take the full advantage of FP+ by learning the tricks.
Exactly. I'm going in a few weeks and I love knowing I have FPs for the most popular rides in every park already. No worrying about running to TSMM or any other ride. I can alter the reservations as needed as well. Complete benefit in my book. And if someone's lack of planning leaves them at a disadvantage that's their own fault, honestly.

doctornick

They'll increase for many and stay the same for some. We are already seeing longer waits for Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc.

The capacity for those rides has not changed. If people are waiting longer in standby due to FP+, then others are getting on to the rides quicker due to using FP+. Wait times are a zero sum game, they just get distributed differently due to FP+ instead of being constant for everyone using the standby line.

If the rides that previously had FP have the same total number of FP+ then wait times should not change for them -- just the mechanism for how you get FP/FP+ changes. The people who benefit are the ones who reserve the FP+ in advance and get them. The ones who are hurt are the ones who cannot get FP+ for them.

For rides that get FP+ added when they did not have FP, the wait times are getting redistributed so that people with FP+ are getting on quicker and standby when waits longer. Some people benefit by waiting less. Other people are hurt by waiting longer.

I'm not arguing for or against FP+, but I think it is important to have a rationale description of the system before debating its merits/drawbacks. FP+ can't increase the wait times for people without making the wait less for others since capacity for the rides is not changing.

rd805

Exactly. I'm going in a few weeks and I love knowing I have FPs for the most popular rides in every park already. No worrying about running to TSMM or any other ride. I can alter the reservations as needed as well. Complete benefit in my book. And if someone's lack of planning leaves them at a disadvantage that's their own fault, honestly.

Very true - and for me it isn't an issue either as i will gladly plan 60 days out...

but 3 fastpasses at one park vs 6 at whatever park i hop to upsets me....

Again, seasoned Disney Pro = minus. Average everyday slow walker = plus? And I am a pro... so....yeah...

ParentsOf4

I really don’t buy this. I’ll equate it to the dining plan, where when it was initiated the plan was one thing, but it evolved into something else.
Sorry but I don't understand your comparison. The dining plan never was free until they started offering it as an off-season incentive. The only thing about DDP that has evolved is the value: DDP costs a lot more than it did when first introduced in 2005 and the food quality has gotten worse. :)

Disney will charge offsite guests for MagicBands. Tied to these will be "MagicBand only" experiences. If you want the full WDW experience, you'll either need to poney up for a MagicBand or stay onsite.

devoy1701

Sorry but I don't understand your comparison. The dining plan never was free until they started offering it as an off-season incentive. The only thing about DDP that has evolved is the value: DDP costs a lot more than it did when first introduced in 2005 and the food quality has gotten worse. :)

Disney will charge offsite guests for MagicBands. Tied to these will be "MagicBand only" experiences. If you want the full WDW experience, you'll either need to poney up for a MagicBand or stay onsite.
do we know that they will offer MagicBand to offsite guests for a fee?

danv3

Just looking at today’s info on the My Disney Experience App and TouringPlans’ Lines app:

DHS closes at 7:30, crowd level 4 out of 10
Toy Story Mania: Fastpass gone by 10:45 AM
Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster: Fastpass gone by 1 PM

Epcot closes at 9:00, crowd level 3 out of 10
Soarin’: Fastpass gone by 10:15 AM
Test Track: Fastpass gone by 10:30 AM

@lentesta, can you explain what’s going on here? Is this all Fastpass+?
If so, this is absolutely ridiculous.

It seems like there's little doubt that FP+ is causing the reduction in day-of FP. In fact, as you think about it, this might be exactly how Disney has planned to wean people off of traditional FP. Rather than just saying "After X date no more FP," they gradually increase the number of people using FP+, thereby reducing the number of available FP. It could be painful in the short run (guest complaints) but they don't particularly care because the affected guests are off-site guests who are already in Orlando or locals. Disney isn't going to lose any business as a result of some of those people being mad that TSMM fastpasses are gone at 10:45 (soon to be 10:30, then 10:00, then 9:30, then...)

ctxak98

this is a serious question because I do not know much about FP+, Can people who do not stay on site take part in it!? and if not when we who do not go to the parks, will it just be like getting regular FP's??? or is that also a new system!?

ctxak98

I
I tend to agree. Although I personally will benefit from this new system, I think it it tilts the field too much towards people who stay on site and plan. I'd be in favor of keeping some of the features, but changing the execution -- only 1 or 2 FP+ ahead of time, opening the booking window maybe 1-2 weeks out, holding a significant amount of FP+ to be released day of. This would help maintain keep the gap closer between planners and spontaneous folks.

That said, my point was that people bemoaning that the system is terrible and harmful to guests do ignore that there are people with significant benefit from it. It's not across the board bad for everyone. I mean, being on a plane flying to Orlando and knowing that you already have a FP+ for TSMM for that evening? How can anyone deny that this would be a significant perk?
I agree! this sounds good to me!

bebert

Currently, there are no plans to charge for FP+. Instead, the strategic goal is for FP+ to replace EMH as the preferred onsite perk. EMH are expensive for Disney and don't generate much additional revenue. FP+ during normal park hours are much less expensive for Disney to operate.

Onsite guests will having a FP+ booking advantage. Currently, they can book at 60 days plus 10 days from the start of the stay. At best, offsite guests will be able to book no more than 60 days in advance.
That would be a major cost savings, the ongoing cost of the bracelets is minimum and the upfront cost of the system can amortized over several years. This cost savings will be the death of EMH, it is a no brainer decision.

luv

The capacity for those rides has not changed. If people are waiting longer in standby due to FP+, then others are getting on to the rides quicker due to using FP+. Wait times are a zero sum game, they just get distributed differently due to FP+ instead of being constant for everyone using the standby line.

If the rides that previously had FP have the same total number of FP+ then wait times should not change for them -- just the mechanism for how you get FP/FP+ changes. The people who benefit are the ones who reserve the FP+ in advance and get them. The ones who are hurt are the ones who cannot get FP+ for them.

For rides that get FP+ added when they did not have FP, the wait times are getting redistributed so that people with FP+ are getting on quicker and standby when waits longer. Some people benefit by waiting less. Other people are hurt by waiting longer.

I'm not arguing for or against FP+, but I think it is important to have a rationale description of the system before debating its merits/drawbacks. FP+ can't increase the wait times for people without making the wait less for others since capacity for the rides is not changing.
I understand your thinking on this, but the people in the Disney hotels aren't going to see a change in their overall waits. When they aren't using their FPs, they'll be waiting in longer stand-by lines than they did before. What they gain zipping through Space Mtn will be lost while waiting extra time on Haunted Mansion and Pirates.

Disney is creating more FP lines and handing out more FPs. This makes the stand-by wait longer.

When you don't use your limited number of FPs, you're going to be waiting in longer lines than before, so the amount of time you save, overall? Slim to none. Depending on how many FPs you once obtained, you might end up spending more time waiting in lines.

If you're able to compare the old and new systems, I think you'll find that you aren't saving yourself any time, overall. But if you're happy, I am happy for you. Really. :)

Bairstow

So that's millions and millions of foreigners, first timers, the unitiated, casual guests....

Disney's doing a great job of educating people about the system, though.
Anyone who books rooms and tickets ahead of time will get bombarded with various guides and tips on how to maximize the system for them.

If it were some great mystery, people wouldn't be utilizing it now to the extent that they apparently are.

ctxak98

That would be a major cost savings, the ongoing cost of the bracelets is minimum and the upfront cost of the system can amortized over several years. This cost savings will be the death of EMH, it is a no brainer decision.
how much does it cost for an off site guest to get a band!?

AdventureHasAName

As someone who hates the entire concept of FastPass, this is a welcome change. If 85% of the standard paper Fastpasses are now being allocated to FastPass+, it's going to wipe out a significant portion of all FastPasses used on a typical day - I firmly believe a huge (50%+) of the FastPass+ passes reserved over the internet will go unused (for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I think the mobile app is going to be largely unused within the parks and these passes will not be changed as necessary).

I hate that the reason this was done was to incentivize people to stay on property, but I love that I believe it's going to kill FastPass as we know it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom