No fastpasses available today?

PrincessNelly_NJ

Disney will not scrap the entire program. They have spent too much money, their time, and guest time on it. I feel like the only way to recoup their investment would be allow paper fastpasses, and make fp+ a bonus or add on for a price. Many people will pay to avoid the morning rush to rides.

Last edited:

crispy

Quick note on the scanning process to get into FP+ line and capacity reduction:

There is a Mickey head on each side that can be used to get in at both FP checkpoints. The scan takes seconds and isn't much longer than handing the passes to the CM or having to rummage through your things to find your ticket that you just showed at the front of the ride. The only issue I saw, similar to the park entrance and counter service lines, is everyone lining up and only using one scanner. I would come from the other side and use the empty scanner and walk in, bypassing the confused crowd.

Actually, we aren't find this to be true at all (we are at WDW right now). People are using both scanners, but it is taking much more time to get through the lines. The CMs are making sure to direct everyone to both scanners, but it is still a pretty inefficient system especially when they don't work. My oldest daughter's band didn't work at AK so after trying several times, we had to go to the side so a CM could re-set it. Little issues like this compound the wait times for everyone.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Once completely rolled out, it will become aware that Fastpasses will mostly be a perk for on site guests. They pay more, they get more.

Just like at other parks where you pay a premium for a line-jumping pass.

Does it suck that not everyone will be getting a Fastpass? Certainly.

In the grand scheme, is it unfair? I'd say absolutely not.

It's just a change in philosophy. They are showing that they want people to stay on site an here's an incentive.
Sounds like a diabolical plan to replace traditional room discounts and free dining with access to FastPass+ instead.

rael ramone

Right. What a preferred queue (i.e. FP) does is redistribute wait time.

Using a simplistic example (i.e. ignoring human behavior), let's assume there is a single line and that everyone in that line waits 10 minutes.

Now let's assume a second FP line is created and that capacity is split 50/50 between the two lines. Theoretically, people in the FP line might end up waiting 5 minutes while those in the Standby line might wait 15 minutes.

The point is, total wait time does not change. Only how that wait time is distributed. (Again, I'm intentionally trying to keep this simple. Human behavior changes the actual outcome.)

Crowd levels might be the same but the Standby line at HM or Pirates might be longer because those in the FP line are being allowed to "cut" ahead of those in the Standby line. Some get to wait less while others are forced to wait more.

In the past they have maximized capacity by creating the 'singles line'. Seats that were unused were now being filled by solo guests (or people who preferred a quicker wait to sitting with their family).

As dumb as it is, it sounds like, at least in some instances, they are *reducing* capacity by not allowing standby guests to fill the empty seats if the ever so precious FPminus quota isn't filled. If they are thinking the way to 'sell' FPminus is to make longer standby lines at all costs....:banghead:

devoy1701

I was about to respond to devoy1701 when it hit me, the business strategy that could revolutionize park going.... Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Fremium Disney.

Just like the old book system but better. Free entry to the park and charge for every little thing that a person could possibly do. And I mean everything. Imagine M&G at 20 bucks a pop, you want a photo with that another 10. Of course, you won't be using your own camera because just like the Sistine Chapel, no cameras would be allowed and all you memories will be recorded by park photographers. E Tickets 30 dollars, A tickets 5 dollars, Journey into Imagination gratis. Of course, it's probably forbidden to charge for restrooms, so all future development will be less tangled restroom and more like Post Metallica stadium show toilet. Enjoy..

Sadly, it isn't too much of a jump from reality. Anyway, PM me Bob and we'll discuss my renumeration.
hey, i'm not saying I like it...I'm just saying that it's feasible, and it makes [business] sense.

draybook

I was about to respond to devoy1701 when it hit me, the business strategy that could revolutionize park going.... Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Fremium Disney.

Just like the old book system but better. Free entry to the park and charge for every little thing that a person could possibly do. And I mean everything. Imagine M&G at 20 bucks a pop, you want a photo with that another 10. Of course, you won't be using your own camera because just like the Sistine Chapel, no cameras would be allowed and all you memories will be recorded by park photographers. E Tickets 30 dollars, A tickets 5 dollars, Journey into Imagination gratis. Of course, it's probably forbidden to charge for restrooms, so all future development will be less tangled restroom and more like Post Metallica stadium show toilet. Enjoy..

Sadly, it isn't too much of a jump from reality. Anyway, PM me Bob and we'll discuss my renumeration.

Don't forget the $2500 "processing fee" for booking your trip......

rael ramone

Sounds like a Ferengi business plan...

PrincessNelly_NJ

In the past they have maximized capacity by creating the 'singles line'. Seats that were unused were now being filled by solo guests (or people who preferred a quicker wait to sitting with their family).

As dumb as it is, it sounds like, at least in some instances, they are *reducing* capacity by not allowing standby guests to fill the empty seats if the ever so precious FPminus quota isn't filled. If they are thinking the way to 'sell' FPminus is to make longer standby lines at all costs....:banghead:

The problem with that is, most people waiting in the stand by line, want to ride together. They won't spilt up just to get on faster, otherwise they would have just waited in the single rider line.

doctornick

I still don't understand the support some of you are giving for this. I'm not trying to start a fight - so pleeeease don't get angry. But if something is making it worse on guests, it is NOT a good thing--plain and simple.

But is it making it worse on guests? I have a trip scheduled for December and I now have reserved FP+ for rides every day. The day I arrive, we are going to Epcot but won't get there until mid-day and I already have FP+ for Soarin' and Test Track. On the day I leave, we are going to DHS in the AM and I have FP+ for TSMM, TOT and Star Tours in the AM already (kids are too short for RNR right now). On a day where I am splitting between parks, I have FP+ for MK in the evening. On another day, I have FP+ for Splash and BTMM right back to back in the middle of the afternoon. And so on.

It seems to me that I am benefiting from the new system. I don't have to run to the park at RD to get passes for big rides because I already have them and I can fit them into my schedule. Obviously, there are others in other situation who are going to be disadvantaged by the system; I certainly would not deny that. But my point is that people tend to be focusing on only the negatives and not the potential benefits.

As others have said, it seems likely that the number of total FP is going to be the same for major rides. The difference is in how they are distributed. So, what I expect to happen is that people will learn to adapt to take the full advantage of FP+ by learning the tricks.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Currently, there are no plans to charge for FP+. Instead, the strategic goal is for FP+ to replace EMH as the preferred onsite perk. EMH are expensive for Disney and don't generate much additional revenue. FP+ during normal park hours are much less expensive for Disney to operate.

Onsite guests will having a FP+ booking advantage. Currently, they can book at 60 days plus 10 days from the start of the stay. At best, offsite guests will be able to book no more than 60 days in advance.

I really don’t buy this. I’ll equate it to the dining plan, where when it was initiated the plan was one thing, but it evolved into something else.

Rob562

Just to throw a little more info into this fray, I was just able (at 2:30pm) to go into the FP+ system and make FP+ reservations for my friend (an AP holder with a Band from a prior trip) for today.

3:45p for Tower, 5:20p for RnRC, 6:25p for TSMM.
(I've since gone in and cancelled them to free up their time slots for others)

Current wait times for those attractions via the mobile app are 45, 30 and 90 minutes respectively. Only Tower has regular FP listed as still available, for 4:10pm.

-Rob

devoy1701

I really don’t buy this. I’ll equate it to the dining plan, where when it was initiated the plan was one thing, but it evolved into something else.

Agreed. And frankly, EMH needs to be overhauled, but it should not be eliminated. I don't equate getting an extra 10 days to plan out FPs an equal perk of getting extra time in the park. A decision like this would make me heavily reconsider ever staying on property again.

ctxak98

But is it making it worse on guests? I have a trip scheduled for December and I now have reserved FP+ for rides every day. The day I arrive, we are going to Epcot but won't get there until mid-day and I already have FP+ for Soarin' and Test Track. On the day I leave, we are going to DHS in the AM and I have FP+ for TSMM, TOT and Star Tours in the AM already (kids are too short for RNR right now). On a day where I am splitting between parks, I have FP+ for MK in the evening. On another day, I have FP+ for Splash and BTMM right back to back in the middle of the afternoon. And so on.

It seems to me that I am benefiting from the new system. I don't have to run to the park at RP to get passes for big rides because I already have them and I can fit them into my schedule. Obviously, there are others in other situation who are going to be disadvantaged by the system; I certainly would not deny that. But my point is that people tend to be focusing on only the negatives and not the potential benefits.

As others have said, it seems likely that the number of total FP is going to be the same for major rides. The difference is in how they are distributed. So, what I expect to happen is that people will learn to adapt to take the full advantage of FP+ by learning the tricks.
But for people who do not plan ahead, and try to get fast passes on the day they are there, are now screwed!

RSoxNo1

Just looking at today’s info on the My Disney Experience App and TouringPlans’ Lines app:

DHS closes at 7:30, crowd level 4 out of 10
Toy Story Mania: Fastpass gone by 10:45 AM
Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster: Fastpass gone by 1 PM

Epcot closes at 9:00, crowd level 3 out of 10
Soarin’: Fastpass gone by 10:15 AM
Test Track: Fastpass gone by 10:30 AM

@lentesta, can you explain what’s going on here? Is this all Fastpass+?
If so, this is absolutely ridiculous.

ctxak98

Just looking at today’s info on the My Disney Experience App and TouringPlans’ Lines app:

DHS closes at 7:30, crowd level 4 out of 10
Toy Story Mania: Fastpass gone by 10:45 AM
Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster: Fastpass gone by 1 PM

Epcot closes at 9:00, crowd level 3 out of 10
Soarin’: Fastpass gone by 10:15 AM
Test Track: Fastpass gone by 10:30 AM

@lentesta, can you explain what’s going on here? Is this all Fastpass+?
If so, this is absolutely ridiculous.
YEAH IT IS! I can tell you for a fact that we always go over fourth of July and its usually really busy and FP for TSMM is usually gone around 12 but 10 on a non busy day is seriously ridiculous! Is there a limit onhow many FP+ they allow per day!? it should be split evenly!

doctornick

But for people who do not plan ahead, and try to get fast passes on the day they are there, are now screwed!

Well, "screwed" is a strong word since they can still enjoy the parks but will have longer waits or only be able to get FP+ for less in demand rides, but "disadvantaged"? Absolutely. FP+ certainly appears to significantly favor far ahead of time planners compared to spontaneous visitors or non-planners. But that's different from saying that the system hurts everyone -- some people get hurt, others benefit. That doesn't make the system implicitly guest unfriendly, which would suggest that everyone gets hurt.

devoy1701

Well, "screwed" is a strong word, but "disadvantaged"? Absolutely. FP+ certainly appears to significantly favor far ahead of time planners compared to spontaneous visitors or non-planners. But that's different from saying that the system hurts everyone -- some people get hurt, others benefit. That doesn't make the system implicitly guest unfriendly, which would suggest that everyone gets hurt.

And to be fair...most people who don't plan ahead are already hurt by their lack of planning.

ctxak98

Well, "screwed" is a strong word, but "disadvantaged"? Absolutely. FP+ certainly appears to significantly favor far ahead of time planners compared to spontaneous visitors or non-planners. But that's different from saying that the system hurts everyone -- some people get hurt, others benefit. That doesn't make the system implicitly guest unfriendly, which would suggest that everyone gets hurt.
that's is true, I just wish it was more even. I am sorry but I don't want to know exactly when were doing what at each park, that is just crazy!

luv

Buy more, get more. Yay! Always a great thing.

But nobody is getting more. The people in the hotels will not be spending less time in line. They only get X number of FPs. When they line up for the other rides, they're now standing in line longer, too. So they're right where they started. Everyone else waits longer all the time and is worse off than before...but nobody is better off.

The only people who benefit are the ones who pocketed chunks of the billion dollars spent on the Magical Wristbands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom