No Fantasmic! shows scheduled beyond January 4 2012 - refurb or something else?

menamechris

There is no possible way Fantasmic is going away. It is seriously one of the most popular shows on property. Go on any Q&A website (i.e. that Mom's Panel on the Disney website) and it seems like every other question is what times Fantasmic is during their vacation. And the fact that they can still fill that theatre speaks volumes. I am sure management is well aware that there are families that may otherwise be skipping HS if Fantasmic wasn't there...

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Am I alone in hoping that the 'steamboat' set gets a major overhaul/upgrade. I feel like that is possibly the poorest single set piece in all of WDW. As it approaches and moves away from you (the facing side is not too bad) you can see a ton of uneven seams and joints and even some obvious paint touch ups that don't match the original color.

HD projectors would certainly help, too. I'd also rather like to see the script changed a bit so that there is more of an even focus on more different movies - that prolonged Pocahontas scene just seems to kill the momentum that the show is building. And some new tech. And add the most excellent dragon from DL.

That said, we still love the show - although DD7 has stated that she wouldn't mind missing it to do other things next spring...

Monsterfan99

Yep I gave it 3 chances over the years since I always see people rave about it. But alas, the last time we walked out before it even ended!
You are a smarter person than I. Been there 3 times as well and never again.

Sadly this seems like just a basic refurbishment, nothing special happening. Hopefully I am wrong and something amazing gets added.

TP2000

Am I alone in hoping that the 'steamboat' set gets a major overhaul/upgrade. I feel like that is possibly the poorest single set piece in all of WDW. As it approaches and moves away from you (the facing side is not too bad) you can see a ton of uneven seams and joints and even some obvious paint touch ups that don't match the original color.

No, you aren't alone. I get what they were trying to go for with that steamboat at DHS; sort of a cartoonish, simple look like the boat in the Steamboat Willie cartoon of the late 1920's. But the execution of it, especially in its 15 year old used and abused condition, is rather laughable. :lol:

But why do you even need a steamboat at all at WDW? All they were doing with that in WDW was emulating Disneyland's finale' that ends with the Mark Twain steaming around the river with all the Characters on it. But the treatment the finale' boat got at WDW didn't quite match the California vision, in comparison.

Disneyland Finale' VS. WDW Finale', taken from nearly identical locations
5316847159_1c9c9c5402_z.jpg
3956395311_6f0cffb9c6_z.jpg

So why even bother with the riverboat finale' in WDW? Why not create something more spectacular and unique? Why be tied down to trying to do a smaller version of Disneyland's riverboat ending? How about a giant floating sorcerers hat that comes out with the Characters appearing on it in swirls of lighted pixie dust trails or something? Go big, and go unique, and stop trying to do a dinky and hokey version of the Disneyland ending. Make it unique for DHS!

H2Opolo15

I'm sorry, I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but how can you not like Fantasmic! ?

It is all about the imagination of a child, and isn't that what the entire WDW Resort is about? From the minute you enter the MK you're transported back to a time when imagination was everything. It's all about being a kid again for those few days you're away from the rest of the world.

If you don't like Fantasmic, what do you like about WDW? I think Fantasmic sums up the entire Disney experience better than anything else! Without imagination, it is just an oversized amusement park isn't it? Why don't you try going there and seeing the eyes of children light up when their favorite character comes rolling by, or when those mist screens come up and their favorite character pops up. Or the sorcerer mickey scene.

WDW isn't built just for YOU. That's ignorant to say it needs removed. I'm not trying to start a conflict, but I absolutely love everything about Fantasmic. I don't care how outdated and crummy some of it might be, that's half the novelty for me, is feeling like a kid again!

Take your negativity somewhere else. Disney is about the magic of imagination, take a look at a childs face their first time entering the parks, or even for the 5th time, and you'll understand.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sorry, I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but how can you not like Fantasmic! ?

It is all about the imagination of a child, and isn't that what the entire WDW Resort is about? From the minute you enter the MK you're transported back to a time when imagination was everything. It's all about being a kid again for those few days you're away from the rest of the world.

If you don't like Fantasmic, what do you like about WDW? I think Fantasmic sums up the entire Disney experience better than anything else! Without imagination, it is just an oversized amusement park isn't it? Why don't you try going there and seeing the eyes of children light up when their favorite character comes rolling by, or when those mist screens come up and their favorite character pops up. Or the sorcerer mickey scene.

WDW isn't built just for YOU. That's ignorant to say it needs removed. I'm not trying to start a conflict, but I absolutely love everything about Fantasmic. I don't care how outdated and crummy some of it might be, that's half the novelty for me, is feeling like a kid again!

Take your negativity somewhere else. Disney is about the magic of imagination, take a look at a childs face their first time entering the parks, or even for the 5th time, and you'll understand.
Real simple...just watch.

There I didn't like Fantasmic!.

I don't completely hate the show but after seeing it several times I am kind of over it. It is a good show, something everyone should do at least once, but just doesn't generate an emotional response in me like Illuminations or Wishes does. Add that to reduced showings and all the hassle it is to get into the show and it equals me not wanting to see the show again until they make a change.

WDWmazprty

Real simple...just watch.

There I didn't like Fantasmic!.

I don't completely hate the show but after seeing it several times I am kind of over it. It is a good show, something everyone should do at least once, but just doesn't generate an emotional response in me like Illuminations or Wishes does. Add that to reduced showings and all the hassle it is to get into the show and it equals me not wanting to see the show again until they make a change.

This. Will I see it gain? probably. But I do agree that it needs to be redone or something new needs to replace it.

ToTBellHop

This. Will I see it gain? probably. But I do agree that it needs to be redone or something new needs to replace it.

I don't understand people who get bent out of shape and claim heresy when anyone offers any sort of critique of Fantasmic! I would hazard a guess that anyone who cannot handle complaints about our show has not seen the Disneyland version--because I was the same way. I remember thinking, "how can it be that much different? We have the newer version and they don't even have a seating area." The difference, as with many things that you can compare between WDW and DL, is that while we did get a bright, shiny new version in the late 90s, it has not changed at all since then. Disneyland constantly plusses their attractions while we get nice new attractions that unfortunately are not maintained as well as they should be (e.g. we have the better Splash Mountain, but it's being run into the ground).

WDWmazprty

I don't understand people who get bent out of shape and claim heresy when anyone offers any sort of critique of Fantasmic! I would hazard a guess that anyone who cannot handle complaints about our show has not seen the Disneyland version--because I was the same way. I remember thinking, "how can it be that much different? We have the newer version and they don't even have a seating area." The difference, as with many things that you can compare between WDW and DL, is that while we did get a bright, shiny new version in the late 90s, it has not changed at all since then. Disneyland constantly plusses their attractions while we get nice new attractions that unfortunately are not maintained as well as they should be (e.g. we have the better Splash Mountain, but it's being run into the ground).

Hmm, I'm just saying personally, ME, I would like to see it change. I don't hate the show by any means or anyone who loves it. :shrug:

H2Opolo15

Personally I would love to see the DL verson. I just watched it on youtube and it looks Fantastic!

I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers, but to say an attraction that is a park staple needs to be removed is purely incongruous

bgraham34

I actually really love the show and would love to see some changes but I also no longer fit the show into my trips because of the reduced performance and the amount of time i have to waste just sitting waiting for the show to start.

MKeeler

Personally I would love to see the DL verson. I just watched it on youtube and it looks Fantastic!

I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers, but to say an attraction that is a park staple needs to be removed is purely incongruous

Since I think I'm the main one that voted for removal, I think I should take the opportunity to explain myself.

I actually like Fantasmic! - I just don't like Fantasmic! at DHS. And this opinion has arisen in me for a number of reasons:

1) I'm biased towards the Disneyland version.
The Disneyland version is actually very magical. It really feels like imagination is taking over, co-opting the Rivers of America, the Columbia, and Mark Twain, and making that section of the park you had seen earlier in the day feel completely new and exciting. At DHS with the ampitheater it always felt just more like I'm seeing a really good show rather than seeing true Disney magic.
Additionally, you do feel a little cheated in comparing the effects in the DHS version. The Steamboats have already been compared earlier in the thread. And the Peter Pan sequence on the Columbia is a vast improvement over the Pocahontas sequence.
Admitingly both of these negatives could be improved with a good refurb. As I stated at the end, I would love to see them actually implement the Hollywood Fantasmic that was at least discussed in the planning stages (the version that would have used the Nautalis fighting a giant squid, along with additional unique scenes). This would give the DHS version more unique features and hopefully just as impressive special effects. Even if they just installed the HD projectors and improved the Steamboat and other pieces, it would be a great step forward.

2) I actually preferred Sorcery in the Sky to Fantasmic!
Honestly, I don't feel Fantasmic! is a great fit for DHS. And this is a big let down for me, because as a huge movie buff and fan of the Golden Age of Hollywood, DHS is my favorite park). I know, for most DHS becomes kind of the catch all park and Fantasmic is a "show" with Disney characters, but it's another area where Disney missed an opportunity to play up the actual theme of the park for it's nighttime spectacular to create that experience that perfectly sums up a day in the park. Illuminations does this, Wishes does this (to a greater extent Remember...Dreams Come True is the master of this). Sorcery in the Sky was a great nighttime tribute in a movie park. Fantasmic! is really great show, but seems disconnected from the park. Honestly, the show could be placed in any Disney park and be justified. This is particularly evident with it being in Disneyland, DHS, and Tokyo Disney Sea. So for me, while the show might be a Disney staple, it is not a DHS staple, if that makes sense. I'd rather see them create a new show that is more tied to the theme of the park or at least make changes to Fantasmic as mentioned above to more closely tie it in.

3) Future expansion.
This is the least important, but worth noting. Fantasmic takes up a good chunk of land, which is completely unused for most portions of the theme parks business hours, in a park that is limited in expansion areas. The little business sense I possess thinks that the plots used by Fantasmic and the Beauty and the Beast show could be used for a great attraction expansion ala the Toon/Maroon Studios idea.

In sum, I'm not opposed to Fantasmic!, I just believe Disney might could do a little better. I'd actually like them to move Fantasmic and show the DisneySea version at Downtown Disney. (a pipe dream I know, but I'd rather see that than World of Color - again great show, but I'd like it to remain a DCA exclusive). Win-win

devoy1701

Since I think I'm the main one that voted for removal, I think I should take the opportunity to explain myself.

I actually like Fantasmic! - I just don't like Fantasmic! at DHS. And this opinion has arisen in me for a number of reasons:

1) I'm biased towards the Disneyland version.
The Disneyland version is actually very magical. It really feels like imagination is taking over, co-opting the Rivers of America, the Columbia, and Mark Twain, and making that section of the park you had seen earlier in the day feel completely new and exciting. At DHS with the ampitheater it always felt just more like I'm seeing a really good show rather than seeing true Disney magic.
Additionally, you do feel a little cheated in comparing the effects in the DHS version. The Steamboats have already been compared earlier in the thread. And the Peter Pan sequence on the Columbia is a vast improvement over the Pocahontas sequence.
Admitingly both of these negatives could be improved with a good refurb. As I stated at the end, I would love to see them actually implement the Hollywood Fantasmic that was at least discussed in the planning stages (the version that would have used the Nautalis fighting a giant squid, along with additional unique scenes). This would give the DHS version more unique features and hopefully just as impressive special effects. Even if they just installed the HD projectors and improved the Steamboat and other pieces, it would be a great step forward.

2) I actually preferred Sorcery in the Sky to Fantasmic!
Honestly, I don't feel Fantasmic! is a great fit for DHS. And this is a big let down for me, because as a huge movie buff and fan of the Golden Age of Hollywood, DHS is my favorite park). I know, for most DHS becomes kind of the catch all park and Fantasmic is a "show" with Disney characters, but it's another area where Disney missed an opportunity to play up the actual theme of the park for it's nighttime spectacular to create that experience that perfectly sums up a day in the park. Illuminations does this, Wishes does this (to a greater extent Remember...Dreams Come True is the master of this). Sorcery in the Sky was a great nighttime tribute in a movie park. Fantasmic! is really great show, but seems disconnected from the park. Honestly, the show could be placed in any Disney park and be justified. This is particularly evident with it being in Disneyland, DHS, and Tokyo Disney Sea. So for me, while the show might be a Disney staple, it is not a DHS staple, if that makes sense. I'd rather see them create a new show that is more tied to the theme of the park or at least make changes to Fantasmic as mentioned above to more closely tie it in.

3) Future expansion.
This is the least important, but worth noting. Fantasmic takes up a good chunk of land, which is completely unused for most portions of the theme parks business hours, in a park that is limited in expansion areas. The little business sense I possess thinks that the plots used by Fantasmic and the Beauty and the Beast show could be used for a great attraction expansion ala the Toon/Maroon Studios idea.

In sum, I'm not opposed to Fantasmic!, I just believe Disney might could do a little better. I'd actually like them to move Fantasmic and show the DisneySea version at Downtown Disney. (a pipe dream I know, but I'd rather see that than World of Color - again great show, but I'd like it to remain a DCA exclusive). Win-win

I still regret not making the time to see this when we visited Disneyland. I'm not sure what happened but somehow we ran out of time for it... It's definitely on our must do list for next time!

I also definitely agree with most all of your points, the Pocahontas scene is in great need of being updated...while it's a decent movie, it's definitely not timeless like Peter Pan IMO. The Amphitheater setting also takes away from the charm that the Rivers of America section of Disneyland. Actually the Rivers of America area of Disneyland is probably my favorite area for overall themeing and feeling as any of the 6 domestic parks.

MKeeler

I still regret not making the time to see this when we visited Disneyland. I'm not sure what happened but somehow we ran out of time for it... It's definitely on our must do list for next time!

I also definitely agree with most all of your points, the Pocahontas scene is in great need of being updated...while it's a decent movie, it's definitely not timeless like Peter Pan IMO. The Amphitheater setting also takes away from the charm that the Rivers of America section of Disneyland. Actually the Rivers of America area of Disneyland is probably my favorite area for overall themeing and feeling as any of the 6 domestic parks.

It's not so much the choice of Pocahontas as it is the dynamics of watching all of the fighting occuring on the rigging of a sailing ship going by versus watching more action on the mountain. Again, it's that extra bit that transforms good to magical.

And all fans of Fantasmic really need to go to Disneyland and see it. Especially with Murphy and all new enhancements. Well worth the trip

Mukta

And all fans of Fantasmic really need to go to Disneyland and see it. Especially with Murphy and all new enhancements. Well worth the trip

I am a Disneyland local and I have seen the DL version of Fantasmic! hundreds of times. In the summers, I see it almost weekly. Everytime I see it, it gives me chills. When Mickey reappears at the top, I cheer my head off and have tears in my eyes. The DHS version doesn't inspire the same emotions in me.

The DHS version badly needs a refurb. Of course the people visiting during that time will be sad that it is down, but that is the chance we all take visiting in the off season. I hope that it stays down for a couple of months to really spruce it up. A new ending and/or dragon would really improve the show.

WDWFigment

Really simple: poor execution.

Do a "find and replace" in your post and swap out the term "Fantasmic!" for "Journey into Imagination." In many places, your post would still make sense. Yet you'd find very few people who will agree with you.

Because, despite the subject matter epitomizing WDW, the execution is fatally flawed. Many people, especially those who have seen Disneyland's Fantasmic!, feel the same way about WDW's Fantasmic! It's good in theory, poor in execution.

My point is that I think it's a weak argument to contend that someone 'can't like much about WDW' if they don't like a certain attraction that purports to epitomize the resort, but does a poor job in doing such epitomizing. Attractions should be well-liked because they're good, not because they manage to fit a certain theme. There's a dirty bridge near my office with obscene graffiti all over it. If I paint hearts and unicorns, and write "magic" "imagination" and "laughter" all over it, it doesn't suddenly become a great attraction epitomizing those things. It's still just a dirty bridge.

H2Opolo15

MKeeler:
1. I can definitely agree with you on just about everything you said. After simply watching the DL version on youtube I can see so many quality differences. I think a major refurb/rehaul is in need.

2. I can see what your saying, about a "park staple". Again, refurbs are necessary.

3. I think DHS needs a "night time spectacular" simply to keep people in that park longer because there isn't a whole lot to do currently. You can easily hit every major attraction there in a morning or afternoon. I've seen the WoC video online as well, it looks fantastic. But I think if they brought it to DTD it would be so much better of a fit there.

WDWFigment:
I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings because I know your a big proponent of the "older" EPCOT rides, but I've never been on Journey into Imagination... sorry :( haha

Good in theory poor in execution is a good way to put it. I feel like I'm somewhat eating my words here, but DHS Fantasmic is severly lacking in quality as compared to the DL. I really hope I get a chance in the next few year to make it out to Cali to see F!

All in al, lets hope this gap in shows is for a major renovation. Guess we won't find out for a few months yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom