No Fantasmic! shows scheduled beyond January 4 2012 - refurb or something else?

JustInTime

I have been told that the show is being re-worked and re-named. And lots of new technology. It pretty much a done deal and will be ready for summer 2012.

prbiker15

If it's being re-named..that's odd. It's such a huge nighttime attraction when it's showing. All it needs is an upgrade, technology-wise.

Someone in the earlier pages posted a Google Docs of WDW operating hours - it shows F! closes January 4th and returns January 26th or 27th (can't remember the exact date). I think it's just maintenance - but that's just me.

NEmickeyfan

I hate fantasmic. Seen it three times and it was boring everytime.

I'm not sure how your comment adds to this discussion. There is so much to see at WDW, you should never have go go to Fantamic again.....and there will one more spot for me!

I see the show everytime I go to WDW...around 4 times a year. The change I would like to see is an upgrade of the dragon similar to the one at DL. Some WoC effects might be interesting, also

Brian Noble

JustInTime

It lists Fantasmic, but as of today doesn't list (a) a time for the show (b) hours for DS or AK. And that goes all the way through February.

http://www.disneytravelagents.com/S.../pdf/ParkHours/WDW_Operating_Calendar_Jan.pdf

http://www.disneytravelagents.com/S.../pdf/ParkHours/WDW_Operating_Calendar_Feb.pdf

Well, that is also non-disney site. And Disney has known to change hours and showtimes before. I am still hearing summer for the new re-vamped Fantasmic.

Brian Noble

that is also non-disney site.
No it is not. Those are on Disney's Travel Agent portal. But, my point was the listing of Fantasmic on this calendar doesn't mean much, because there are no show times or park hours for Studios from the 26th on.

JustInTime

No it is not. Those are on Disney's Travel Agent portal. But, my point was the listing of Fantasmic on this calendar doesn't mean much, because there are no show times or park hours for Studios from the 26th on.

Either way it's not really relevant for something 6 months in the future. The Disney Parks calendar is always changing. And I am optimistic. ;)

prbiker15

For me it's still speculation - don't really know what's the purpose of the shutdown (maybe maintenance). If they do have plans to revamp parts of the show, I would love to know what they're going to revamp. I hope for the following: Modern technology (new lights, fountains, HD projectors), new pyrotechnics (though I think the show's finale went through a pyrotechnic refresh last year), upgrading the steamboat and a new dragon. And this might be impossible, but removing the Pocahontas scene.

wdwfan4ver

It is still speculation at this point, although D23 is now almost a month away now.

All I know about the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts part of D23 is Tom Staggs will give guests an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at some of the biggest projects currently underway at Disney parks, featuring a few surprises along the way.

It is possible that what is happening with Fantasmic! at DHS might be one the surprises.

TP2000

Would 5 weeks be long enough to install a new dragon similar to Disneyland's?

I don't think so. Disneyland's Fantasmic! went down for it's third rehab in three years from late January, 2009 until late May, 2009. That was four months long, and during that time they installed the dragon on the island stage. First they had to dismantle and remove the old 1990's dragon infrastructure, and that took about a month. Then they had to airlift in the huge dragon equipment in pieces via helicopter, during a series of early morning operations that had the dragon equipment flying over the north end of Disneyland a few hours before the park opened each day.

New Dragon Infrastructure Flying Over Disneyland En Route To Fantasmic! Island Stage - March, 2009
P1010659.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/disneyland fantasmic helicopter airlift/dustysage/P1010659.jpg

And even then, the dragon didn't appear on Memorial Day Weekend. They had a lot of problems with it, due to it being a giant animatronic that had to split itself in two down in a bunker beneath the stage and then rebuild itself and appear within seconds during the show. Disneyland's Fantasmic! team worked on it all summer, and Murphy The Dragon finally appeared in Fantasmic! on Labor Day Weekend, 2009.

That four month Fantasmic! rehab in '09 was on top of similar multi-month rehabs to install new lighting and dynamic new audio/visual technology in '07 and '08. And then in 2010 Fantasmic! had another four month rehab when Disneyland's Rivers of America was drained completely and given a thorough freshening and upgrades to the riverbanks, while they also worked on some of the underwater gas lines and infrastructure for Fantasmic!.

Disneyland does REHABS quite regularly, and in big doses and in both short and long stretches of time with noticeable results. On the other end of the rehab spectrum as an example, Indiana Jones Adventure has been having random one-day rehabs in the last year where they remove an old 1990's Indy animatronic one at a time and replace them with brand new 21st century animatronics that have a much broader and smoother range of movement. The end-product of big and small rehabs is a sparkling park that I have honestly never seen looking better or fresher in my 25+ years of adult memory.

But 5 weeks for a WDW Fantasmic! rehab?!? Yikes. Are we absolutely sure that is true? That would seem to be way too short to do much of anything, except some basic relamping and routine maintenance of existing equipment and some painting and cleaning. Maybe they could install some new lighting or audio equipment in that time? But a full, massive rework of the show, a replacement of the super-90's Pocohontas scene and a Disneyland-style upgrade? I don't know they could even begin that amount of work in 5 weeks. :(

What happened to all the rumors about Steve Davison reworking Fantasmic! at WDW and adding Tokyo DisneySea and World of Color technology to a relaunched show for the 21st century? That's what that aging show needs, desperately. Is the short 5 week winter rehab really confirmed? :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom