No Fantasmic! shows scheduled beyond January 4 2012 - refurb or something else?

Brian Noble

It's good in theory, poor in execution.
Is it as good as DL's, even pre-Murphy-and-stuff? Nope.

Is it a bad show? I don't think so. I think it's a pretty good show. Given the way a-few-nights-a-week Fantasmic has swung attendance at the studios, it still puts butts in seats. I suppose you can lament that the Common Fan should have higher standards, but it is what it is.

TP2000

Many people, especially those who have seen Disneyland's Fantasmic!, feel the same way about WDW's Fantasmic! It's good in theory, poor in execution.

Perfectly said.

The good news here is that WDW's Fantasmic! is apparently getting a big multi-month rehab during the winter/spring of 2012. That will be plenty of time to fix everything and bring over the 21st century tech that Disneyland has had for several years.

The Disneyland show was upgraded in a major way over a period of three separate months-long rehabs during the winter/spring of 2007, '08 and '09. In '07 they replaced the 1990's lighting and audio equipment on the "mainland" side of the show, with all of the lighting and audio rigs that come up from underground or hidden boxes, and the change was stunning when it came to the clarity of sound and crispness and saturation of color.

In '08 Disneyland then replaced the original 70mm film projectors with brand new HD Digital projectors, and the change was amazing! If you've only seen the WDW version of Fantasmic!, you have no idea what images you are missing and what's actually supposed to be appearing on the mist screens until you've seen the HD versions at Disneyland. In '08 they also redid the lighting and pyro effects and freshened the stagecraft on the "island" side of the show, adding more clarity and new projection effects to the stage.

And finally, in '09, Disneyland redid the floating barges and watercraft that appear in the show. The Peter Pan Vs. Captain Hook sequence got a new crocodile float, and Flotsam and Jetsam floats (powered by hidden jetskis) were added to the Ursula scene.

3681345568_4a8e646c1f_z.jpg
eels.jpg

Michelle-Fantasmic-1-web.jpg

And most famously, Murphy The Dragon made his much-delayed debut at the end of summer in '09!

Disneyland did all of this in planned phases over a three year period, and by 2009 it looked and felt and sounded like a brand new show designed for the 21st century audience. It was a good thing too, because the very next spring a little show called World Of Color started performing at the theme park next door, so the competition was heating up. :lol:

The question is, can WDW's Fantasmic! cram this much stuff in if they are closed for three or four months during the first part of 2012? I wonder if they'll announce this big WDW Fantasmic! rehab at D23 next month? The Disney fan community who gets to both coasts like most of the D23 Expo audience would, will know that the WDW Fantasmic! has gotten embarassingly hokey looking. And the D23 audience at the Expo would have seen Fantasmic! since it plays twice nightly seven nights per week right across the street from the Anaheim Convention Center.

D23 Expo would seem to be the perfect place to announce this upcoming big rehab and refresh for WDW's Fantasmic!. :sohappy:

cbconglom

ThemeParkOneTheme Park One

Looks like Mr. Davison is one busy bee, giving a LOT of love to WDW over the next year! Great stuff on way, folks!

Fantasmic

I adore Fantasmic! - It's my absoloute favourite show on property. I have no doubt that DL's version is far superior.

WDW's is in desperate need of a rehab, updating and brought into the 2010s rather than being stuck in 1998.

The last time I saw it was 2009 and it was looking a bit rough round the edges then, it was still amazing but it's obvious it needs hauling into the here and now.

JustInTime

I adore Fantasmic! - It's my absoloute favourite show on property. I have no doubt that DL's version is far superior.

WDW's is in desperate need of a rehab, updating and brought into the 2010s rather than being stuck in 1998.

The last time I saw it was 2009 and it was looking a bit rough round the edges then, it was still amazing but it's obvious it needs hauling into the here and now.

I agree! I love it so much. Would love to see some updates.

MerlinTheGoat

ThemeParkOneTheme Park One

Looks like Mr. Davison is one busy bee, giving a LOT of love to WDW over the next year! Great stuff on way, folks!

I'd take his word with a grain of salt if i were you. Some of his past predictions don't add up. He also has a vendetta against the Disney online fanbase (particularly micechat). I'm not sure whether he's telling truths or just trying to get people hyped up in order to troll them. I've still yet to see any credentials from him or what makes him an expert on information.

Mickey92

Same with you! I LOVE Fantasmic! Great Show, Great Music, Great Lighting and Effects! Would hate to see this go! Please be a refurb cause I think it needs one :) But to be fair I didn't go last year so haven't been for about atleast 5 years...

Praying for a refurb! :sohappy:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Wish they had a Hercules, Tangled, and a Princess and the Frog scene! :)

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

TP2000

I'd take his word with a grain of salt if i were you. Some of his past predictions don't add up. He also has a vendetta against the Disney online fanbase (particularly micechat). I'm not sure whether he's telling truths or just trying to get people hyped up in order to troll them. I've still yet to see any credentials from him or what makes him an expert on information.

Agreed. That kid (ThemeParkOne) appears to be an ex-Disneyland CM who is a WDI groupie and parlays little nuggets he gets into tantalizing tweets for the superfans of SoCal and beyond. It's a tad creepy, and his info is spotty.

His latest tweet (God, I hate that word, and all it stands for) says absolutely nothing when you think about it...

"Looks like Mr. Davison is one busy bee, giving a LOT of love to WDW over the next year! Great stuff on way, folks!"

No mention of if this is a parade, a water show, a new show, a return of an old parade or show, or anything. We don't even have this nailed down to a single park or a part of property. It's not news that Spectro is coming back within a year, and MSEP glows back to DLR. There's also got to be some maintenance coming up on something, somewhere at WDW. There have also been a ton of online rumors lately that World of Color technology is coming to WDW somewhere (DTD? ROE? Fan!?), so he can just sort of throw that out there for his twitterfans on summer vacation and they pant with excitement, and when something, anything does show up in 2012 regarding a new parade or spectacular, or even just a new lighting or projection package at DHS Fantasmic!, his "prediction" just came true! :hammer:

I'm surprised more people can't see right through that. Now if he said something in 180 letters or less like...

"Steve Davison is setting up shop in FL to work on Spectro 2.0 and DTD's new World of Color coming in '12"

...then that would be impressive and worthy of attention. But vague allusions to something maybe happening somewhere sometime within a year by someone who obviously already has work to do at WDW? That's laughable insider info at best. :lol:

Kamikaze

TP2000:

I doubt this guy has any real information either, but the insiders ALWAYS talk vaguely and without any real substance - if their sources ask them not to reveal anything yet. For example, Steve's posts about whats going on at DTD. He obviously knows whats going on, but he can't say exactly what yet, except to admit there is a plan.

I don't think 'ThemeParkOne' is legit, but you can't discount him simply because he's being vague.

MerlinTheGoat

I agree about his information being suspect. He has made a few tweets that were somewhat more specific (which i listed on my topic), but yes his info is mostly very vague. And he seems to have gotten himself in serious trouble on Micechat. He hates that place with a passion and attacks them and Al Lutz whenever he can. I am still wondering who exactly he is, i even created a topic asking what his credentials are (and who he even is period)-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=772751

I keep seeing people mention his name and quoting him as a "valid source". If he is, that's fine. But i honestly don't see why people are putting such blind faith into some random twitter dude. Educate me if you please (not an insult to him or his followers, i just want to know what position he's in to tell people "inside stuff"). I'm not discounting him for being vague, i'm questioning him because he's done effectively nothing to show that he is actually an insider as far as i can see.

BrerFrog

As far as I am concerned they could replace it with WoC, but I will be happy with any positive renovations because it certainly needs it.

puntagordabob

If they pour enough money into it...have everything premade and sitting there....and work around the clock (the area at Fantasmic is secluded) they could do it...of course if they were to have problems with the equipment during install :(

Kamikaze

If they pour enough money into it...have everything premade and sitting there....and work around the clock (the area at Fantasmic is secluded) they could do it...of course if they were to have problems with the equipment during install :(

WoC needs to be in a concrete bottom, made made 'lake'. It can't be attached to anything else, like the F! water is. Thats what would take up the time.

peter11435

Isn't there a channel connecting it with the lake?

Forgive me, I can't remember what that lake is called.
I'm pretty sure, though, that there is a connection between the two bodies.

There is no connection. Fantasmic has it's own isolated body of water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom