No 5th gate but...

Champion

Don't get me wrong i agree with everyone. I am just saying that for major E ticket rides you would think some TLC would be nice. Especially the one that draws in the most people (MK). These are rides that people expect to be top notch. Remember, its all in expectations.

The problem with MK refurbs is that everyone wants these rides open. So Disney has to do them in stages to avoid peak seasons, and usually they are limited by that. Unfortunately.

Scar Junior

Its not a matter of people wanting a 5th gate or not wanting a 5th gate. The posed question was about business strategies related to all the hotel capacity expansions.

Champion

There really is a need for a 5th gate right now, but they simply don't have enough people to staff it. This is the same reason 1/2 of Pop Century has sat dormant for years and why they are outsourcing the hotels now.

No, there is no need for a 5th gate right now. NONE.

Ok, they do have a staffing problem.

No, thats not the reason PC:CY is not finished. First it was attendance. Now, they are simply waiting to see how well the Family Suites do.

And they aren't outsourcing any hotels. They are letting Four Seasons build a hotel on property.

Champion

Its not a matter of people wanting a 5th gate or not wanting a 5th gate. The posed question was about business strategies related to all the hotel capacity expansions.

The answer to that question is two things:
Its always better to keep people staying on property.
Its always better to have more rooms then you need then not enough.

jmvd20

I think the business strategy talked ended before page one of this thread did. That always happens with the 5th gate ones, no matter what the original intent of the thread was.

PigletIsMyCat

I thought it was interesting that WDW is building/allowing all these new mod and deluxe resorts on property while half of Pop sits rotting away. I understand the desire for DVC property and the practically instant revenue these suites generate, but the value resorts are the most popular. All Stars was OVER booked last week, to where one guest who had a reservation at All Stars was unable to be accomodated at any of the All Stars or Pop. The guest was put up at the Grand Floridian without a price change.

As for a fifth gate, it is completely unnecessary at this point in time. Studios and AK need to be harder hitting parks before that will happen. And as for expanding the parks, there are a few people on here talking like WDW has all the land for expansion in the world. On one hand, sure, they have plenty - PLENTY - of room for a fifth gate, a sixth gate, a seventh gate, and numerous more hotels. Sure. But talking about expanding an existing park beyond it's current borders? Where, exactly, would you expand the Magic Kingdom? It's near impossible. There is little vacant land surrounding the MK. And a new country in Epcot's World Showcase? Where would you put it? I could honestly see room for another country or two, maybe, but at what cost? Squeezing them in there is not going to make for an enjoyable visit.

STGRhost

No, thats not the reason PC:CY is not finished. First it was attendance. Now, they are simply waiting to see how well the Family Suites do.
If that is true, it kinda makes a lot of sense...
Where, exactly, would you expand the Magic Kingdom? It's near impossible. There is little vacant land surrounding the MK. And a new country in Epcot's World Showcase? Where would you put it?
This is maybe off topic, but there is some room at MK (Pooh's playground takes up a small portion of the land from 2000k, for example) and there is room outside the perimeter/train tracks, as well. Also, there's PLENTY of room for new countries at Epcot. Check out an arial view of the park sometime - there are obvious, "pavillion" shaped gaps between a number of current ones. I think I counted 6 or so the last time I looked. And, at the Studios, there was talk for a long time about expanding either into the backlot/production areas or across Buena Vista. I have no idea if those ideas are still bumping around or not... :shrug:

CarlHS

As much as I would love to see a new park at WDW, it really doesn't need one right know. They have plenty of room to expand the parks and they should update old attractions. Fantasyland could use a new attraction on the old 20 thousand leagues site. Epcot could use a new country in world showcase, new attraction for WOL and Honey I shrunk the audience has got to go. Mgm need another major thrill in replace of the stupid Indy show. And Animal Kingdom needs beastly kingdom. Those are just my dreams to make the parks perfict. Sorry I got a little of subject, but I couldn't resist sharing my pet peeves about the parks.:brick

BRILLIANT - So true! So true! I agree completetly, adding Fire Mountain and the Villians Land to the list for MK!

CarlHS

Where, exactly, would you expand the Magic Kingdom? It's near impossible. There is little vacant land surrounding the MK. And a new country in Epcot's World Showcase? Where would you put it?

There is actually a ton of land surrounding MK. The gaping hole that was 20K can easily handle an E-ticket and they did schematics for a whole land back there. Fire Mountain was worked up and would fine south of pirates and west of jungle cruise.

There's an entire belt of land surrounding the MK between the RR tracks and the perimeter road. That belt of land is enough for 5 or 6 lands.

Further, there's land beyond the perimeter road which could be used by simply 'moving' the perimeter road.

Land is not an issue anywhere at WDW except possibly MGM.

Enderikari

Fire Mountain was worked up and would fine south of pirates and west of jungle cruise.

NotThisAgain.jpg

n7005245_34052987_6327.jpg

n7005245_34052982_5184.jpg

Fire Mountain? :ROFLOL: Let us not speak of it...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is actually a ton of land surrounding MK. The gaping hole that was 20K can easily handle an E-ticket and they did schematics for a whole land back there. Fire Mountain was worked up and would fine south of pirates and west of jungle cruise
There's an entire belt of land surrounding the MK between the RR tracks and the perimeter road. That belt of land is enough for 5 or 6 lands.
Further, there's land beyond the perimeter road which could be used by simply 'moving' the perimeter road.Land is not an issue anywhere at WDW except possibly MGM.
Try a thread search; this was discussed recently. There`s nowhere at the MK for `5 or 6 lands` - north of the park between it and the railroad track wasn`t developed in `69 for building. Swampy swampy. It`s not impossible. Just very VERY expensive and disruptive. The land west of the service canal is too low - again not developed for a park.

As it stands the MK has 4 unbuilt expansion areas; 2 in Adland, the 20K plot and one in Tland (though for anything as big as planned in 1979 they`d have to move the SM lake. Again.)

MGM can and is designed to expand out into the parking lot; in effect shifting the infrastructure east. There is a 3.5 acre site ready to be cleared and used behind Indy, with more if needs be (including the original Monorail termination area.) Sunset has 3 plots still (the Copperfield site, the temporary market area and west of the ToT) - though the state of the park right now has plenty of unused areas.

Futureworld has one plot left, and World Showcase 6 1982 plots left, plus the Millenium Tent and half the Italy plot if needed.

DAK has the Beastly area, up to but not past the berm, and a huge area north of Kali (again not past the current Eastern berm)

MetFan81

Great post Marni.

However, is'nt there also land north of BTM that can be used?

As to the Studios, where is the Copperfield plot? I remeber seing the signs for it around 1998 but forgot where they want to put it?

Lastly, I hope we have the day wee lets just say the AK has expansion problems. Than we either have BK or another land there and the park truely is a full day. If the AK, ever has land problems than it may be the 2nd best park at WDW.

MickeyTigg

There really is a need for a 5th gate right now, but they simply don't have enough people to staff it. This is the same reason 1/2 of Pop Century has sat dormant for years and why they are outsourcing the hotels now.

You are so wrong on everything here.

There is no need for a 5th Gate....there is no evidence of this at all. While attendance is increasing except for uber-peak times like Christmas or Easter the parks are never at capacity. The current parks can and do handle the crowds well.

While partially correct on Pop Cenury...the main reason it wasn't finished was lack of demand. There simply wasn't enough people wanting to stay at WDW resorts to justify it.

Disney chose to "outsource" the Four Seasons Resort not because of staffing but because they want a 5-Star resort run by people that know how to run a 5-Star resort. Disney knows it doesn't know how.

The Mom

Premium Member
You are so wrong on everything here.

There is no need for a 5th Gate....there is no evidence of this at all. While attendance is increasing except for uber-peak times like Christmas or Easter the parks are never at capacity. The current parks can and do handle the crowds well.

While partially correct on Pop Cenury...the main reason it wasn't finished was lack of demand. There simply wasn't enough people wanting to stay at WDW resorts to justify it.

Disney chose to "outsource" the Four Seasons Resort not because of staffing but because they want a 5-Star resort run by people that know how to run a 5-Star resort. Disney knows it doesn't know how.

You may not agree with someone else's OPINION but that doesn't make them "so wrong" or make YOURS any more correct.

Champion

You may not agree with someone else's OPINION but that doesn't make them "so wrong" or make YOURS any more correct.

With my apologies, because you are a moderator, you are wrong here.

The things stated were not opinions. An opinion is something like "Space Mountain is the best Disney ride".

Saying "thats why Pop Century didn't get finished" isn't an opinion. Thats the poster trying to push along information as fact. The poster was completely incorrect, so people corrected him. Same with the other "facts" he/she tried to pass along. Everything that was posted was basically wrong, so why shouldn't it be corrected?

majortom1981

Unless somebody here is management nothing anybody says on these boards is fact unless its proven right through a press release or an interview with management.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Try a thread search; this was discussed recently. There`s nowhere at the MK for `5 or 6 lands` - north of the park between it and the railroad track wasn`t developed in `69 for building. Swampy swampy. It`s not impossible. Just very VERY expensive and disruptive. The land west of the service canal is too low - again not developed for a park.

As it stands the MK has 4 unbuilt expansion areas; 2 in Adland, the 20K plot and one in Tland (though for anything as big as planned in 1979 they`d have to move the SM lake. Again.)

Hey Martin, where did you get that info from? The info I have on MK expansion varies widely from that. My source for this comes from someone in WDI who personally worked on the drainage and mapping for the new sites back in the early 90s. From the mapping, the current park is surrounded by 108 acres of designated expansion space, giving plenty of room for considerable expansion. Some of it may be difficult ot use, but it has been designated as usuable, and will be used at some point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom