No 5th gate but...

primetime52

Concerning the 5th gate issue....

I really don't want to see a 5th gate any time soon. The problem with having so many parks has to do with a very slow spread of new attractions. MGM and AK need to become full day parks before they add a 5th gate. I would also like to see a new thrill ride or 2 at MK, which I feel has been a somewhat neglected park considering how many new thrill rides have been added in the other 3 parks over the past decade.

I'd much rather see a higher quality in the existing parks than a higher quantity of parks.

DisneyMusician2

I really don't want to see a 5th gate any time soon. The problem with having so many parks has to do with a very slow spread of new attractions. MGM and AK need to become full day parks before they add a 5th gate. I would also like to see a new thrill ride or 2 at MK, which I feel has been a somewhat neglected park considering how many new thrill rides have been added in the other 3 parks over the past decade.

I'd much rather see a higher quality in the existing parks than a higher quantity of parks.

Absolutely right! People complain a great deal about the lack of upkeep and new attractions already! Imagine how much farther an entriely new park would stretch WDW resources.

svickersart

I agree with you, why build a 5th park when you can expand what you have already. The big thing is each park has a limit on how many people can be in the park, there is a point where Disney has to close the gates and not allow anyone else to enter until a certian number leave. This means not only adding attractions but expanding the borders of the parks to allow more people to be in the parks at one time. I know I would be a bit upset if I spent a bunch of money to go to WDW and couldnt get in any of the parks because they were full. I know there is room to expand the borders of the parks but many may feel adding another park is a better answer. Think of it this way, if each park holds 45,000 guests and they expand each park so each one can hold 50,000 guests you get another 20,000 guests. Build a new park that holds another 45,000 guest and you get another 45,000 guests. It might be a more economic move to build another park, plus you now offer 5 parks instead of 4 creating a bigger draw.
Steve

Hummer1676

I agree with everyone. Look at what they are doing at Disneyland. They are updating all the attractions at the parks. After being at WDW this weekend, you can tell the rides need to be updated. Splash mountain is a joke. Haunted Mansion is even worse. I would rather see disney spend the money on updating attractions then building another park. To let the rides get delapidated to a point where it rivals six flags is pretty deplorable. Disney sets such high expectations, they should start living up to them.

calicommando

I agree with everyone. Look at what they are doing at Disneyland. They are updating all the attractions at the parks. After being at WDW this weekend, you can tell the rides need to be updated. Splash mountain is a joke. Haunted Mansion is even worse. I would rather see disney spend the money on updating attractions then building another park. To let the rides get delapidated to a point where it rivals six flags is pretty deplorable. Disney sets such high expectations, they should start living up to them.

Right On!

Hummer1676

STR8FAN2005, I totally agree. I understand it is a business and it needs to turn a profit. I work for a resort and know that sometimes items that need updating are left behind so that the company can turn a better profit. But that being said, there are maintenance schedules that need to be in place. I have one for my resort. We have maintenance schedules for everything. I would think that someone as maticulous as disney would have such a schedule. I would be surprised if they just decided on a whim when to update things. Its all about planning, preparing, and budgeting. Just my two cents......

majortom1981

hmm

I wouldnt go that far. Six Flags new management is trying. I went to gadv 2 weekends ago and was able to get a picture with every loney tunes character that They had a costume for.

Disney world is working on their rides though. You cant have too many major rides in each park closed at once.

SSe is getting a refurb in the summer and so is HM. I think thats a good start.

I feel though that if they are going to keep WOL Closed they should atleast Close it for good and put a new attraction or pavilion in there.

They could put a couple new rides i ntheir and up the capacity even more at epcot .

I really dont think they need a fifth park right now. Especially with one whole pavilion closed and half of the imagination pavilion closed also.

They have more then enough space especially in epcot for new attractions.

jmvd20

SSe is getting a refurb in the summer and so is HM. I think thats a good start.

WDW has been updating/adding attractions all the time so I don't feel that SSE and HM is where they are "starting" to improve things.

Just in the last year or 2 we've had:

Pirates

The Liberty Belle

El Rio - to Gran Fiesta

Expedition Everest

Laugh Floor

Finding Nemo at AK

Living Seas refurb

SSE Post show

Lights Motors Action

Soarin

I'm sure there's more but that's just what popped into my mind. I know that there are more attractions there that need some TLC but how much are they supposed to spend in a year. In my opinion that is one impressive list, I don't think they are getting credit for how much they *have* done, it's always about what they *haven't* done.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Remember, many items on this list could and should have been done more than 2 years ago. I hope what we see now is the realisation things were heading for a Harris, and from now on they stay on top of it as well as adding new, original, engrossing high quality attractions.

benji

As much as I would love to see a new park at WDW, it really doesn't need one right know. They have plenty of room to expand the parks and they should update old attractions. Fantasyland could use a new attraction on the old 20 thousand leagues site. Epcot could use a new country in world showcase, new attraction for WOL and Honey I shrunk the audience has got to go. Mgm need another major thrill in replace of the stupid Indy show. And Animal Kingdom needs beastly kingdom. Those are just my dreams to make the parks perfict. Sorry I got a little of subject, but I couldn't resist sharing my pet peeves about the parks.:brick:

calicommando

Remember, many items on this list could and should have been done more than 2 years ago. I hope what we see now is the realisation things were heading for a Harris, and from now on they stay on top of it as well as adding new, original, engrossing high quality attractions.

Very true! It should never have gotten to this point.

Hummer1676

Don't get me wrong i agree with everyone. I am just saying that for major E ticket rides you would think some TLC would be nice. Especially the one that draws in the most people (MK). These are rides that people expect to be top notch. Remember, its all in expectations.

jmvd20

While it is true that some of those things *could* have been done years berfore they were it still doesn't change the fact that WDW repairs/upgrades/adds things at a very steady pace. I just think that it is getting to the point where they could re-do every attraction on property except for 2 or 3 and all people would talk about is the 2 or 3 they didn't do.

No matter what the fact remains that WDW spends huge amounts of money each and every year on maintenance, upkeep, and additional attractions. I just think that some people need to realize that it is impossible for WDW to do everything they would like them to. Wishing and hoping for something is one thing, but to turn that into a feeling of "WDW just doesn't care to maintain or update their rides" is stretching it beyond the realm of reality.

While it is true that some of those things *could* have been done years berfore they were it still doesn't change the fact that WDW repairs/upgrades/adds things at a very steady pace. I just think that it is getting to the point where they could re-do every attraction on property except for 2 or 3 and all people would talk about is the 2 or 3 they didn't do.

No matter what the fact remains that WDW spends huge amounts of money each and every year on maintenance, upkeep, and additional attractions. I just think that some people need to realize that it is impossible for WDW to do everything they would like them to. Wishing and hoping for something is one thing, but to turn that into a feeling of "WDW just doesn't care to maintain or update their rides" is stretching it beyond the realm of reality.

Hands Down! One of THE VERY BEST posts I have EVER read on this board! Bravo!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

DisneySaint

There really is a need for a 5th gate right now, but they simply don't have enough people to staff it. This is the same reason 1/2 of Pop Century has sat dormant for years and why they are outsourcing the hotels now.

calicommando

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy about what Disney is doing now. The refurbs that are happening now and those that have recently happened are great. I think things are headed the right direction. I'm just pointing out how depressing it is to see how bad some things actually got. We're on the upswing. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom