Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Twilight_Roxas

Between Pilotwings, Lakitu, all the flying machines from Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, and all the rest of that mess, you could make a pretty radical spinner ride where every bucket is a unique character.

That or build a really radical multilevel carousel.

I would see Kid Icarus Uprising as a dark ride motion simulator kinda like either Transformers or Harry Potter.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Any particular reason you think that?
Is there something wrong with the ride hardware?
Lack of available spare parts for one.

Antiquated software is more of an issue.

The ride is old. Simple. You can only retrofit so far before you have to start wholesale replacement of hardware and software. When ET stopped saying goodbye by name? It was broken and couldn't be fixed. A whole new system had to be designed, written, built and installed. As an example.

As far as I know the plan is to being the attraction as-is up to today's standards both on and off stage. But if that is eventually deemed not to be possible.... it'll be a sad day.

redshoesrock

Very excited, but a quick question:

Everyone seems convinced that the Nintendo stuff is going into KidZone. Does that mean that what we'll be given is not the D and E tickets we're all hoping for, but rather things like a "family" coaster and kiddie rides with a heavy Nintendo theme? I'm not talking overlaying the Nuthouse Coaster over there but...you know? Just makes me a little worried is all this is going to be one big kiddie area.

Disneyhead'71

Very excited, but a quick question:

Everyone seems convinced that the Nintendo stuff is going into KidZone. Does that mean that what we'll be given is not the D and E tickets we're all hoping for, but rather things like a "family" coaster and kiddie rides with a heavy Nintendo theme? I'm not talking overlaying the Nuthouse Coaster over there but...you know? Just makes me a little worried is all this is going to be one big kiddie area.
It will be "Family" oriented, not "kiddie" oriented. I am hearing a couple of dark rides and an indoor "Family" coaster with "a bit of a thrill".

Mike S

It will be "Family" oriented, not "kiddie" oriented. I am hearing a couple of dark rides and an indoor "Family" coaster with "a bit of a thrill".
Is Space Fantasy at USJ considered a "family" coaster? Because that would be a pretty easy ride to give a Nintendo theme.
image.jpg

Plus from what I've seen in video the ride looks really cool so I don't think it would be bad at all to get a clone with a new theme.

Animaniac93-98

Here's my guess for content, based on (what little) we know so far:

- Pokemon flat ride
- Donky Kong indoor/outdoor coaster
- Zelda dark ride
- Mario Kart (like Tomorrowland Speedway, but better)
- maybe a Yoshi Island play area for younger children

The above covers the most famous characters, while still providing family attractions that are not major in scale like Kong. Not sure what property they'd use for a food and beverage location.

SirLink

Here's my guess for content, based on (what little) we know so far:

- Pokemon flat ride
- Donky Kong indoor/outdoor coaster
- Zelda dark ride
- Mario Kart (like Tomorrowland Speedway, but better)
- maybe a Yoshi Island play area for younger children

The above covers the most famous characters, while still providing family attractions that are not major in scale like Kong. Not sure what property they'd use for a food and beverage location.

I don't think Nintendo would even allow that to happen- if anything Kidzone might get segregated with the use of Super Mario Bros IP, and shoot off IPs, think Luigis Mansion or Captain Toad. But you shouldn't expect Zelda IP to be sitting next to Pokemon IP.

SirLink

Quinnmac000

I don't think Nintendo would even allow that to happen- if anything Kidzone might get segregated with the use of Super Mario Bros IP, and shoot off IPs, think Luigis Mansion or Captain Toad. But you shouldn't expect Zelda IP to be sitting next to Pokemon IP.

Wrong. The only reason Nintendo agreed to this was to promote sales of all their IPs and to market their future products. They wouldn't leave out the three major brands they still build most and best selling games around. (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario)

Disneyhead'71

Wrong. The only reason Nintendo agreed to this was to promote sales of all their IPs and to market their future products. They wouldn't leave out the three major brands they still build most and best selling games around. (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario)
We will see those. Even though Pokemon is rumored to be possibly merch only for the first phase.

Also Donkey Kong, but that's personal.

And who wouldn't have loved for King Kong at the announcement on Wed. to be wearing a red neck tie? Would have been an awesome forshadowing of Thurs.

Mike S

We will see those. Even though Pokemon is rumored to be possibly merch only for the first phase.

And who wouldn't have loved for King Kong at the announcement on Wed. to be wearing a red neck tie? Would have been an awesome forshadowing of Thurs.
What's the rumor for Metroid since that was part of @HTF's list?

HTF

Seriously just watch part of this, you don't have to listen to the guy but just watch and observe. Then think about what this IP would be capable of with Universal driving it with what they've learned from Harry Potter merchandise... Just think about it... It boggles the mind...

Mike S

Seriously just watch part of this, you don't have to listen to the guy but just watch and observe. Then think about what this IP would be capable of with Universal driving it with what they've learned from Harry Potter merchandise... Just think about it... It boggles the mind...

Don't need to watch since I've been there in person. It's an amazing place :) Going to New York this summer and I'll definitely be going back there.

mahnamahna101

Really? Pokemon would be great for smaller attractions (an interactive show, walkthrough, flat ride, play area, etc) and definitely would draw in quite a few guests. Why does Universal want to wait until phase 2 to give the franchise a proper attraction?

And DK might only be merchandise too? So this could end up being a Mario/Zelda heavy Nintendo land?

mahnamahna101

What's the rumor for Metroid since that was part of @HTF's list?

I'd guess either Metroid or Star Fox are being courted either for:
MIB replacement (iffy since neither are popular enough to warrant replacing a great shoot 'em up)
new attraction next to MIB/Springfield in the future
Fear Factor replacement
M&Gs

M&Gs for Samus, Fox, Kirby, DK, Diddy, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Captain Toad, Pikachu, Ash, Misty, Brock, Jessie/James/Meowth, Mewtwo, alternating starters (across all 6/7 gens), and random Pokemon (every week a new Pokemon is brought out. With 600+, Universal has a century's worth of new additions to keep M&Gs fresh) seems to be a no-brainer.

The others... a little less likely

SirLink

Nope. You are wrong. Nintendo are very controlling of their IP, when it comes to entertainment ventures ever since Super Mario Bros film came out. The reason why they have done this is to a) diversify their portfolio of contents and b) establish a link to a casual consumer i.e. theme park goer.

The best selling IP Nintendo sells is Mario/ Wii Sports/Mario Kart. Pokemon they have to go to the series creator to sign off on anything to do with that IP. Zelda isn't that big of a seller in the east or in the west to say the Wii Sports IP.

If Nintendo lets Universal or any company place IP lbeside one another, and not create separate distinct lands for each IP. Nintendo should pull out ... don't care if its Universal or Disney. You respect the creator first and their wishes.

Last edited:

Funmeister

Yes and no ... a) Nintendo has a history of saying things aren't true and then announcing them b) Nintendo were talking to Netflix regarding IP ... also language barrier exists if CEO may not have understand the content of the article itself, it was the WSJ. Any Nintendo IP that was going to be used with Netflix would not focus on the heroes bar a couple.

Regardless...we are not getting a Zelda series though right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom