Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

mahnamahna101

Kid Icarus could fit in Lost Continent.
Actually, my idea for a 3rd gate would involve something like this:
Lost Continent (the current remains in IOA) is bulldozed and rebuilt into an actual, full-fledged land in the 3rd gate.
Sinbad's area is given to Potter
Poseidon and Mythos' footprint is given to Seuss
Kid Icarus is included in a Lost Continent area in the 3rd gate

It's the best of both worlds
  1. Potter can expand
  2. Seuss can have room for the Grinch family coaster, a Lorax/Horton dark ride and a yearround stage show
  3. Kid Icarus isn't squeezed into an existing area
  4. Lost Continent gets to be an actual land again
  5. Mythos stays intact

culturenthrills

This is good for uni, but far from potter huge. Theres a strong cult following for the HP series that simply doesn't exist for Nintendo on that scale. Sure, the game company is popular (or at least their IPs are), and it will draw people..but, and I hope I'm wrong, it sounds like this is going to be a re-theming part of a pre-existing area/attraction. The press release mentions characters and the like...but Uni/Nintendo can usually not resist using words like "groundbreaking" if they are planning something more.

Uhh, there is a huge following for Nintendo. Go to a comic or anime con and you will see tons of Nintendo fans. Almost every niece or nephew I have had a nintendo gaming system at some point in their childhood. Much like many underestimated the popularity of HP do not underestimate the popularity of Nintendo. In one fell swope UNI now has a major IP that is hugely popular with kids and adults.

Mike S

Uhh, there is a huge following for Nintendo. Go to a comic or anime con and you will see tons of Nintendo fans. Almost every niece or nephew I have had a nintendo gaming system at some point in their childhood. Much like many underestimated the popularity of HP do not underestimate the popularity of Nintendo. In one fell swope UNI now has a major IP that is hugely popular with kids and adults.
Yup. Just this past trip to Orlando I saw plenty of people, kids and adults, wearing Nintendo shirts. I also got a ton of StreetPasses as well like always (when two Nintendo 3DS's connect and exchange certain info as two people that have one walk past each other).

culturenthrills

As I stated above, let's hope he's not going anywhere. Although, the thing that worries me about Universal is, unlike Disney nothing is "sacred" to them. Just because an attraction is an original, doesn't mean it's off limits.

Unless I am wrong there have been rumors of them moving the entrance to the Hollywood area. Which could be easily be done and would probably improve its amount of hourly riders. I would love for it to go down for a massive refurb.

RobUK

My yelp of excitement when this was announced was only rivalled by my girly shriek (I'm a guy) when the Potter areas were being built.

I last went to Florida 6 years ago. I plan to go again in the next few years. One of my biggest fears was that not much will have changed. With this, Kong, and Potter I'd say plenty will be different!

DisneyFanaticUK

Much has been made of Disney trying to find a counter to Potter, but this thing with Nintendo is a real game changer, especially among my age group (18-30) who grew up playing Pokemon, Zelda and Mario.

I say this as a Disney fanboy, but if Avaterland and Star Wars aren't a massive success in the parks, its game over for them (at least in a sense that they wont be the "big boys" in Orlando anymore).

Last edited:

Obi

How about a Castlevania ride similar to the haunted mansion?

I was also a fan of the ninja gaiden games. Not sure what could be done with them, if anything.

Matt_Black

Also, even if Nintendo did own them, their mass market appeal is laughably small compared to Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong.

Mario and Donkey Kong? Yeah, I'd go with that. Zelda though? The FF series is easily on par with Zelda in fans' eyes, I think. 7 and 10 alone have incredibly good recognition.

GLaDOS

Mario and Donkey Kong? Yeah, I'd go with that. Zelda though? The FF series is easily on par with Zelda in fans' eyes, I think. 7 and 10 alone have incredibly good recognition.

I'm not talking video game fans, I'm talking the general public. You show them anyone from the Final Fantasy series and Link side-by-side, and most people will, at the very least, know where Link is from. They may call him "Zelda", but they'll know where he's from. I don't think you'd get that with any Final Fantasy character.

Monoblanco13

Their best bet is Mario series, DK, and anything Pokemon as I'm sure they'll be game. I really don't know what else the general public would know. Knowing Nintendo I'm sure they'll have their other IP's displayed as well because they want more brand recognition. We also need to remember that they will be making smartphone games starting this year, so that may showcase lesser known IP's. There is also the rumored Zelda TV series which Nintendo didn't fully deny. I'm happy for the agreement as Nintendo is my favorite gaming company and know they need more push in the right direction.

Mike S

Made this based on the billboards around Universal. What do you guys think? Did the best I could with meme generator.
image.jpg

SirLink

I'm not talking video game fans, I'm talking the general public. You show them anyone from the Final Fantasy series and Link side-by-side, and most people will, at the very least, know where Link is from. They may call him "Zelda", but they'll know where he's from. I don't think you'd get that with any Final Fantasy character.

Cloud .... Moogles .... Chocos

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom