Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Funmeister

Nope. You are wrong. Nintendo are very controlling of their IP, when it comes to entertainment ventures ever since Super Mario Bros film came out. The reason why they have done this is to a) diversify their portfolio of contents and b) establish a link to a casual consumer i.e. theme park goer.

The best selling IP Nintendo sells is Mario/ Wii Sports/Mario Kart. Pokemon they have to go to the series creator to sign off on anything to do with that IP. Zelda isn't that big of a seller in the east or in the west to say the Wii Sports IP.

If Nintendo lets Universal or any company place IP lbeside one another, and not create separate distinct lands for each IP. Nintendo should pull out ... don't care if its Universal or Disney. You respect the creator first and their wishes.

Just curious your thoughts about Super Smash Bros.? Based on what you are saying, which I am not doubting just curious, why would Nintendo allow such "disregard" to their characters letting them cross over in such a manner?

Matt_Black

Well, in part, I'd imagine that it's all of Nintendo's IPs in a game created, designed, and developed by Nintendo. They would not see it as "disregard", as they made it how they wanted to.

Funmeister

Well, in part, I'd imagine that it's all of Nintendo's IPs in a game created, designed, and developed by Nintendo. They would not see it as "disregard", as they made it how they wanted to.

It's not all Nintendo IP though. There are non-Nintendo characters mixed in with Nintendo characters.

FigmentJedi

Just curious your thoughts about Super Smash Bros.? Based on what you are saying, which I am not doubting just curious, why would Nintendo allow such "disregard" to their characters letting them cross over in such a manner?
And for that matter, what about all the crossover IP in the new Mario Kart's DLC?

HauntedMansionFLA

Would make a great headline IP for a land in a third park. The only big IPs left beyond what they have are LotR and Star Trek. Would truly love to see Uni take a shot at some original attractions for a third park as well (one like Mystic Manor would be ideal).
Any news on Lord of the Rings rights? I know Disney was after them too but Tolken disliked Walt Disney.

Matt_Black

It's not all Nintendo IP though. There are non-Nintendo characters mixed in with Nintendo characters.

Yes, but the initial game was. Even with later installments and guest characters, Nintendo still has control; they're not going to let Solid Snake or Sonic upstage any of their characters.

Funmeister

Yes, but the initial game was. Even with later installments and guest characters, Nintendo still has control; they're not going to let Solid Snake or Sonic upstage any of their characters.

Yeah but if Pac-Man beats Mario in the game...then...I would say Pac-Man "upstaged" his opponent taking center stage. So they are allowing non-Nintendo characters share the stage and spotlight.

Matt_Black

Yeah but if Pac-Man beats Mario in the game...then...I would say Pac-Man "upstaged" his opponent taking center stage. So they are allowing non-Nintendo characters share the stage and spotlight.

True, but that's up to the players. From a game design standpoint, Mario and Pac-Man are going to have roughly equal chances of success. Similarly, from a narrative standpoint, Pac-Man is not going to be portrayed as more important than Mario.

SirLink

Regardless...we are not getting a Zelda series though right?

Yes and no ... it wouldn't be called Zelda/Legend of Zelda in the title and it wouldn't feature Link - if that is what you mean? Wait until Netflix launches in Japan, then they will which projects need to get up of the ground quickly.

Iwata views as what makes SSB series as being special is it is the only IP that lets the characters to cross over within that, by doing anything else in media to compromise that would have a negative impact on sales of that series...

The only crews that cross over on a regular basis is Mario family and Donkey Kong because they were previously in the same 'franchise'.

Last edited:

IAmFloridaBorn

Yeah, but Jaws was far less reliable and versatile than ET is.

Not only that, but since the Comcast takeover you had re-theming of the Unicorn, Jimmy Neutron, and Dragons and just before that Universal reused the Back to the Future and Earthquake hardware.

With new show scenes they could do some pretty special stuff with the building and ride system that's there, and possibly even salvage most of the still-great indoor queue.
Jaws was reliable. But it was costing Universal money that was not being matched by the amount of guests that were riding it. Not that it wasnt popular, just an overly expensive ride that wasn't averaging 30 minute or greater wait times daily. Had to go. and believe me it sadden me to see it go but it is what it is.

Same with Kongfrontation. The Anamatronics, Special Effects on these rides were costly!!

Tony Perkis

There were two obvious reasons why the original game only had Nintendo IPs:

1) The series was new, and proof of success was yet to be determined.
2) The sheer hardware limitations of the Nintendo 64 cartridges (I think only a couple of games, most notably Conker's Bad Fur Day, used the more expensive 64MB cartridges).

Today, Nintendo views the Super Smash Bros. series as the perfect collaboration between studios. It's not canon, and it collectively gets all the heavy hitters in the industry excited to join for a very rare joint venture. Mario and Luigi may be first in the character selection screen, but Nintendo does not actively rank them as stronger characters in the context of the game. They actually have integrity in their game design to not pull that kind of stunt.

vapewithape

I would love:

1) Luigi Mansion ride that is set up like haunted mansion but also included some screens in the background where you could shoot boos while riding in toy story mania type vehicles. Exit to shop that has plush boo's.
2) Donkey Kong mine cart ride
3) Princess Peach Castle (meet and greets/character dinner)
4) Mario Kart racers ride
5) Pokemon interactive catch-them-all game throughout the land (similar to sorcerers of magic kingdom)
6) Mario Italian restaurant (character dinner)
7) Character meet and greets so everyone can hug Yoshi.. and Bowser

.. just to start

I like the idea of making Pokemon an interactive experience but what about bringing Pokemon Snap to life.

Have the riders ride around in a dark ride similar to Toy Story interactive ride. The riders will take pictures of all the different Pokemon but along the way they will get a story mode and witness a fight at the end of the ride.

After the ride is over the riders pull out their photo card and walk right into a Pokemon shop. In the shop they can plug their photos into machines and order souvenirs. On the souvenirs will be their unique snap of their favorite Pokemon and in the corner of the photo will be a picture of the riders taking the picture.

How many people would buy that? ALOT!

Universal execs are you listening? You can thank me later

Jrn14

I like the idea of making Pokemon an interactive experience but what about bringing Pokemon Snap to life.

Have the riders ride around in a dark ride similar to Toy Story interactive ride. The riders will take pictures of all the different Pokemon but along the way they will get a story mode and witness a fight at the end of the ride.

After the ride is over the riders pull out their photo card and walk right into a Pokemon shop. In the shop they can plug their photos into machines and order souvenirs. On the souvenirs will be their unique snap of their favorite Pokemon and in the corner of the photo will be a picture of the riders taking the picture.

How many people would buy that? ALOT!

Universal execs are you listening? You can thank me later

That's a really cool idea.

mahnamahna101

The perfect initial Nintendo expansion
  1. Mario: E-ticket indoor spinning coasters, M&Gs, restaurant, shop
  2. Donkey Kong: dueling Splash Battle ride, M&Gs, shop
  3. Yoshi: Junkyard Jamboree-esque flat ride, tropical-themed play area
  4. Pokemon: interactive stage/stunt show, Safari Zone dark ride, shop, restaurant, M&Gs
Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, EarthBound, Animal Crossing and Pikmin all saved for the future 3rd gate

Twilight_Roxas

The perfect initial Nintendo expansion
  1. Mario: E-ticket indoor spinning coasters, M&Gs, restaurant, shop
  2. Donkey Kong: dueling Splash Battle ride, M&Gs, shop
  3. Yoshi: Junkyard Jamboree-esque flat ride, tropical-themed play area
  4. Pokemon: interactive stage/stunt show, Safari Zone dark ride, shop, restaurant, M&Gs
Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, EarthBound, Animal Crossing and Pikmin all saved for the future 3rd gate
Kid Icarus could fit in Lost Continent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom