Night Kingdom... Here we go again

yankspy

Not to mention, those marathons and triathalons actually sell out!!!! You are right on the money!

There is a huge target base for this type of attraction... Just look at Eco-Challenges, adventure racing, how many people subscribe to fitness/health/outdoorsy magazines. Heck, look at the Japanese. Shows like Yoshi's Castle, Ninja Warrior or Unbeatable Banzuke, and the themed attractions that they inspired in Japan!!! If anything, this will attract more foreigners to the US, than anything. And, for the most part, this type of attraction is not for the fan-boiz/girlz that permeate this kind of board(Who are .00000001 percent of the people who actually go to WDW and whatnot).....
Are these types of people willing to go to WDW for vacation? I only ask because my wife is a marathon runner and so we know a lot of people in this category. In most cases they do not enjoy the hustle and bustle of a theme park.(This is my experience with the few people that we know). Many of them enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, I am just trying to see if you think that disney can attract this target group with this experience.:)

hemloc

Are these types of people willing to go to WDW for vacation? I only ask because my wife is a marathon runner and so we know a lot of people in this category. In most cases they do not enjoy the hustle and bustle of a theme park.(This is my experience with the few people that we know). Many of them enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, I am just trying to see if you think that disney can attract this target group with this experience.:)

This would be exactly the type of individual they would want to attract.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Thousands plan their Disney vacation so that they can run in the Disney Marathon and half marathon second week in January.

Just as there are currently a lot of moms and dads who take the kids to Disney but escape to the links or spa's for their time may want to do this as well.

Time will tell what this actually evolves to if it comes to fruition, then we can get a better idea of what the real target audience is.

yankspy

Thousands plan their Disney vacation so that they can run in the Disney Marathon and half marathon second week in January.

Just as there are currently a lot of moms and dads who take the kids to Disney but escape to the links or spa's for their time may want to do this as well.

Time will tell what this actually evolves to if it comes to fruition, then we can get a better idea of what the real target audience is.

True.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
A marathon takes place on one day (or only a very few days) each year. NK is presumably a 365 day project.

True, but that's not my point. This is just one marathon of many, most if not all always reach capacity. There are senior rowing teams, all terrain biking, skydiving.

The point I was trying to make is that there while there are plenty of 40 - 60 y/o couch potatoes, there are a large number of very active, very fit, outdoors loving people in that age demographic. And, as the entire project is speculation, we don't know what the true offerings will be. My guess is that if you ignore the Screamscape sensationalism and go back to the Jim Hill article (did I just say that....? :rolleyes:), what has been suggested is a diverse environment, part of which may be these more extreme physical events, but also more casual things like an encounter with an exotic animal or even just sitting back having a superior meal with an adult beverage or two.

Again, speculation is fun....but for something not announced, I'll wait to see the final product before being too concerned or excited.

jakeman

Approx 47 million visitors to WDW last year.

Approx 47,000 users of WDWMagic.

With the assupmtion that EVERYONE here is a zealot AND attended the parks last year that would equal 0.1% of the attendance at WDW.

Fanboys are the minority and are not able to pass judgement on what, very literally, the other 99.9% of the population may want from a Disney vacation.

plutoismyhero

IMO if disney does this it will be really cool if not so be it i mean i would rather have some new rides at DAK or DHS but either way is fine and if u think that disney would really make this park so only people between the ages of 18-30 could go you are dumb if disney does this everyone will be able to go remember this is disney we are talking about people

kshark

The more information that comes out about this park the less interesting it becomes.

In fact, with this additional information from Screamscape I have to wonder if either they put something funny in the air conditioning at WDI, or a prankster Imagineer is having an elaborate joke on the Internet fan community.

It's just all so wacky sounding, and such an uninteresting concept to build an entire park around. :hammer:

couldn't agree more!!:brick:

RSoxNo1

I'm a little behind on my podcasting, but on Lou Mongelo's WDW Radio show for 1/6/08, he first mentioned an "out there" rumor of a 5th gate beyond Animal Kingdom that would be an all inclusive park with thrill rides, that would be open from 4-12 pm. It sounded very similar to what Jim Hill came up with a few months later. It's possible that they were getting fed their information from the same source. For those of you that want to hear this, it's in the first 15 minutes of the podcast.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
I'm a little behind on my podcasting, but on Lou Mongelo's WDW Radio show for 1/6/08, he first mentioned an "out there" rumor of a 5th gate beyond Animal Kingdom that would be an all inclusive park with thrill rides, that would be open from 4-12 pm. It sounded very similar to what Jim Hill came up with a few months later. It's possible that they were getting fed their information from the same source. For those of you that want to hear this, it's in the first 15 minutes of the podcast.

:hammer::hammer:Don't club the messenger :hammer::hammer:

Going on what's said above - a friend of mine who (happens to work for a different Orlando Resort **wink wink** kinda high up on the food chain) and still has a "friend or two" in Guest Relations from his time working at Disney - has mentioned to me that it is going to be a "5th Gate" and yes, we are going back to the Villian Themed thrill ride concept. I suppose there are reason's some rumors never die...and this would be one of them - that it's going to happen. He's not sure right now that it's going to be the "high end admission price answer" to Discovery Cove - but it is going to challenge all the parks for the attendence of the thrill seekers. Also mentioned - as of right now, it is going to be a night park - to play off the Villian Theme for the lighting effects/mood music/etc etc - everything associated with being "Villian" but not wet your pants scary (it is Disney afterall).

I just know he told me about Harry Potter about a year before it was announced - while he also knew about EE coming to the AK about 8 months before it was announced, and Nemo coming to the Seas @ Epcot about 4 months prior - sooo I kinda tend to believe him. If history is to repeat itself - look for an announcement probably by October (year end fiscal) or at least by the end of the year to pump the Christmas Parade audience.

Again - don't club the messenger - I'm just passing on what I know so far. Yeah yeah yeah - I'm throwing myself out there for you guys & gals to rip apart as it always seems to end up on here, but still.
And no - I'm not naming names for any of the "who's your source?". I've already told ya above...:wave::cool:

Discuss..... :sohappy:

phichi17

Has anyone given any thought to the possibility this could be a rumor started by the company itself? Something to flush out a leak...?

Boray

Target market aside, why would it behoove Disney to have a park ONLY open from 4pm-12am? People of all ages (including my 5 year-old daughter) are thrill-ride-seekers. Why would Disney (the King of FAMILY entertainment) create an expensive theme park that would only be open during the latter portion of the day?

Sorry, but this just doesn't make financial sense. Disney, if nothing else, is in it to make as MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE, even if it means holding us by our ankles, upside down, and watching the coins fall out of our pockets. ;) I just don't see them willing to have a thrill park sit there, idle to guests with money, during the majority of the day.

I understand that PI was only for the later part of the day, but the attractions offered (ie: clubs and shopping) weren't going to attract younger people (ie: 17 and under), so I understand the function of that venue as an after-hours option.

Unless I don't fully understand this, I don't see this ever coming to fruition.

fyn

Target market aside, why would it behoove Disney to have a park ONLY open from 4pm-12am? People of all ages (including my 5 year-old daughter) are thrill-ride-seekers. Why would Disney (the King of FAMILY entertainment) create an expensive theme park that would only be open during the latter portion of the day?

Sorry, but this just doesn't make financial sense. Disney, if nothing else, is in it to make as MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE, even if it means holding us by our ankles, upside down, and watching the coins fall out of our pockets. ;) I just don't see them willing to have a thrill park sit there, idle to guests with money, during the majority of the day.

I understand that PI was only for the later part of the day, but the attractions offered (ie: clubs and shopping) weren't going to attract younger people (ie: 17 and under), so I understand the function of that venue as an after-hours option.

Unless I don't fully understand this, I don't see this ever coming to fruition.

Assuming Disney makes this an add-on to a ticket, like waterparks, getting guests to pay admission to the park while then not having to pay the running costs of an operating park during the day makes a lot of financial sense.

Boray

Assuming Disney makes this an add-on to a ticket, like waterparks, getting guests to pay admission to the park while then not having to pay the running costs of an operating park during the day makes a lot of financial sense.

I guess I just don't get this. The operational costs for 8 hours, let's say (4p-12a) would be higher than a water park, right? I guess I always figured the roller coasters and other thrill rides are more expensive to produce as well as insure, than the rides at the water parks, therefore warranting a higher entry fee needed in order to make money, or at least break even. So, they wouldn't necessarily be able to charge an add-on price (at least not close to the current price) for a ticket to what seems to me to be a rather high-end park. Again, maybe I just don't understand this, or just don't have all of the facts on this (most likely the latter, rather than the former! :p)

I'll just have to see what happens to pass judgement, I guess. Personally, I'm really tired by 4:00 (kids will do that to you!), even when not at an amusement park, and I don't think I'd feel that I was getting my money's worth by going at 4 and not lasting more than about 4 hours! I LOVE thrill rides, as do all of the members of my family. I would be more likely to spend more hours and MORE MONEY to attend a theme park that would give me all-day access. Perhaps my view on this is far more narrow than their target market.

fyn

I guess I just don't get this. The operational costs for 8 hours, let's say (4p-12a) would be higher than a water park, right? I guess I always figured the roller coasters and other thrill rides are more expensive to produce as well as insure, than the rides at the water parks, therefore warranting a higher entry fee needed in order to make money, or at least break even. So, they wouldn't necessarily be able to charge an add-on price (at least not close to the current price) for a ticket to what seems to me to be a rather high-end park. Again, maybe I just don't understand this, or just don't have all of the facts on this (most likely the latter, rather than the former! :p)

I'll just have to see what happens to pass judgement, I guess. Personally, I'm really tired by 4:00 (kids will do that to you!), even when not at an amusement park, and I don't think I'd feel that I was getting my money's worth by going at 4 and not lasting more than about 4 hours! I LOVE thrill rides, as do all of the members of my family. I would be more likely to spend more hours and MORE MONEY to attend a theme park that would give me all-day access. Perhaps my view on this is far more narrow than their target market.

I wasn't comparing it to the cost of running a water park, I was comparing the cost of running it during the day vs. not running it during the day.

jerlev

...So, they wouldn't necessarily be able to charge an add-on price (at least not close to the current price) for a ticket to what seems to me to be a rather high-end park...

Rumor has it that a night in the park will cost $250-300 per person for the evening. Up to 2000 people will be in the park.

Boray

Rumor has it that a night in the park will cost $250-300 per person for the evening. Up to 2000 people will be in the park.

Well, if that's the case then it's a moot point for me. I can't justify that kind of money for just a day at a theme park. Hope those who can, enjoy themselves...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom