Night Kingdom... Here we go again

DisneyYorkian74

Disney isn't pushing interactive...guests are!

Interactive experiences can be great, but they have to be done in the right way.

An interactive experience like Discovery Cove is a great idea. It focuses on an area in which many people want to participate in, but very few actually get to.

The problem I see with Night Kingdom is that there doesn't seem to really be any demand for the experience that was explained on Screamscape.

The chance to swim with dolphins is not on the same level as rock climbing, cave exploring, and/or adventure games.

If Disney wants a park to compete with Discovery Cove, they should just build a park where guests can swim openly alongside and with dolphins. (But Disney kind of already has that in Epcot)

Shaman

Interactive experiences can be great, but they have to be done in the right way.

An interactive experience like Discovery Cove is a great idea. It focuses on an area in which many people want to participate in, but very few actually get to.

The problem I see with Night Kingdom is that there doesn't seem to really be any demand for the experience that was explained on Screamscape.

The chance to swim with dolphins is not on the same level as rock climbing, cave exploring, and/or adventure games.

If Disney wants a park to compete with Discovery Cove, they should just build a park where guests can swim openly alongside and with dolphins. (But Disney kind of already has that in Epcot)

From the rumors it seems to me, that Disney isn't trying to directly compete with Discovery Cove, but completely revolutionize the idea of the "theme park". Again from the rumors I've read regarding this concept, it seems like they want to create a totally different experience that allows guests to totally immerse themselves in and interact with the attraction. Forget passively sitting on a ride vehicle watching stuff happen. You're making stuff happen. Its sounds like they want to combine various concepts to create this small park--not necessarily just bringing people closer to animals.

But hey, who knows what may become of all this....

This could become an experiment they may expand upon across the country. Remember the "small parks" concept we heard about all those months ago.

Pongo

From the rumors it seems to me, that Disney isn't trying to directly compete with Discovery Cove, but completely revolutionize the idea of the "theme park". Again from the rumors I've read regarding this concept, it seems like they want to create a totally different experience that allows guests to totally immerse themselves in and interact with the attraction. Forget passively sitting on a ride vehicle watching stuff happen. You're making stuff happen. Its sounds like they want to combine various concepts to create this small park--not necessarily just bringing people closer to animals.

This could become an experiment they may expand upon across the country. Remember the "small parks" concept we heard about all those months ago.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :shrug:

Shaman

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :shrug:

It ain't broke now. But how long before people become bored with the concept? You barely have to leave your house now for entertainment. What makes you think the current theme park model won't become obsolete 15, 20, 30 years down the line. Disney is trying to keep their product/brand fresh. Keeping people's interest is important. Especially with growing competition from all over the place.

I don't know...maybe those who hate it will feel differently once we know more...or those who like the rumored concept now will hate it then....at least it gives us something to talk about.

:lol:

DisneyYorkian74

The biggest problem I see with Night Kingdom is the "game" aspect of the experience.

What will motivate guests to complete these tasks and finish this "game" unless there's a big pay-off at the end?

I could see some guests being self-motivated and would probably consider the experience as a reward in-and-of itself; but I think that the majority of guests wouldn't even bother...

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Good point. How do they propose to make this thing handicapped friendly, or even ADA compliant?

I have to agree that it sounds like a prank, or at least something that never made it far in the imagineering process.

I believe that was meant as a joke.

Possibly you know of somewhere, but I have never been to a facility/location that is more handicapped friendly than Disney.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I'd love to do this, I'm a scrawny 15 year old and quite clearly this would have an age limit on the doors I'd say maybe 16-29. The normal healthy ages. You'd also probobly need to have no serious health problems, kids with asthma wouldn't be let in and it'd attract alot more thrill seekers to disney.

:ROFLOL: I don't think that age group is the one targeted...as they are not as likely to have that discretionary income.

I do know a few 35 year olds that don't need a cane yet...:lookaroun

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Just because guests like interactive rides, doesn't mean you should suddenly build as many interactive rides as possible. Guests want other kinds of rides too.

You're right! And that is exactly why if you choose to build them, you put them in a place by themselves. The guests that want other kinds of rides have four other parks to find them in.

It ain't broke now. But how long before people become bored with the concept? You barely have to leave your house now for entertainment. What makes you think the current theme park model won't become obsolete 15, 20, 30 years down the line. Disney is trying to keep their product/brand fresh. Keeping people's interest is important. Especially with growing competition from all over the place.

I don't know...maybe those who hate it will feel differently once we know more...or those who like the rumored concept now will hate it then....at least it gives us something to talk about.

I'm confused how "barely have to leave your house now for entertainment" has hurt theme parks given the latest attendance report. Seems to me attendance is up basically across the board. Perhaps you could clarify that a bit?

What makes me think that passive entertainment won't disappear? Well, it has been around for quite sometime (long enough for Aristotle to have analyzed it around 2400 years ago) so it think suggesting its demise has the burden of proof.

In general I think there are a lot of assumptions and opinions being thrown around as if they were facts on this topic.

AKLodger

First of all I think sounds like a great concept that would be very fun.

I honestly cant see it being a -main- theme park, but I see it as more of a Richard Petty Driving Experience sort of attraction.

As far as all the nay-sayers who say there isn't any interest for something like the Night Kingdom etc etc....'scuse my english but IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Unless one of you are doing the actual market research for WDW you should probably bite your tongues. Maybe it wont have a popular following...maybe it will, but in the meantime get over yourselves.

On top of this I know one thing to be true...everyone here is a Disney fan. Id practically call us all fanbois.

So I ask you this; What has Disney done that you DONT like? And why should this "Night Kingdom" that we know very little about (it may be total BS for all we know) be the first thing that you dont like???

I think theres too much hating going on with very little facts or principal to base it.

This is WDW...EVERYTHING there is cool.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I honestly cant see it being a -main- theme park, but I see it as more of a Richard Petty Driving Experience sort of attraction.

As far as all the nay-sayers who say there isn't any interest for something like the Night Kingdom etc etc....'scuse my english but IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Unless one of you are doing the actual market research for WDW you should probably bite your tongues. Maybe it wont have a popular following...maybe it will, but in the meantime get over yourselves.

On top of this I know one thing to be true...everyone here is a Disney fan. Id practically call us all fanbois.

So I ask you this; What has Disney done that you DONT like? And why should this "Night Kingdom" that we know very little about (it may be total BS for all we know) be the first thing that you dont like???

I think theres too much hating going on with very little facts or principal to base it.

Just out of curiosity is that you in your avatar? And what in the world is that person wearing?

AKLodger

Just out of curiosity is that you in your avatar? And what in the world is that person wearing?

lol No..that Kiera Knightly in the picture from when she visited the park. And shes wearing...well almost nothing Its like a shirt that looks like its made from kleenex. Nice stuff hey? :D

mousermerf

Account Suspended

Retort: Imagination.

Shaman

I'm confused how "barely have to leave your house now for entertainment" has hurt theme parks given the latest attendance report. Seems to me attendance is up basically across the board. Perhaps you could clarify that a bit?

What makes me think that passive entertainment won't disappear? Well, it has been around for quite sometime (long enough for Aristotle to have analyzed it around 2400 years ago) so it think suggesting its demise has the burden of proof.

No. What I was saying is that with technological advances we have to leave our homes less and less, Disney not only has competition from other theme parks, but also competition from forms of entertainment closer to home--and more prevalent nowadays inside the home. Things have changed since Walt's day. We're in the age of internet, Ipods, Netflix, Movies OnDemand, etc. Sure that hasn't affected Disney much, but who is to say that won't be an issue many years down the line? When the next best thing comes along. Disney has to be innovative, creative, pro-active...or it will be overtaken by competitors in the LONG RUN.

Take digital cameras for example, when they came along they made film obsolete (for the most part). Companies like Kodak saw the writing on the wall and developed digital cameras...

Disney fans are always blasting Disney/imagineers for not being more innovative, using off-the-shelf attractions and clones. Disney seems to be doing something very different here, and the same people are complaining.

Is there any doubt left as to why Disney doesn't cater to its zealots?

In general I think there are a lot of assumptions and opinions being thrown around as if they were facts on this topic.

For the most part I think everyone here is discussing the possibilities regarding this subject, knowing full well that at the end of the day it is just a rumor found on the internet.

:shrug:

And if for some crazy reason there should there be any doubt...that's just my OPINION. :kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom