NextGen Launch?

juniorthomas

Classic! I love AK, but it still needs some work. It is hard to justify more than a half day there once you have been there a few times, besides the fact that it's too hot most of the year to survive it anyway!

Then on top of that you have no extra magic evening hours because the animals retire early. If your park closes at 5 and the others at 8 or later, it feeds the "half-day park" thing even more.

Most families on holiday, after breakfast and rounding up kids, dont get to the parks until 10 or so. 10 to 5 vs 10 to 8. Those three hours make a difference.

WDWFREAK53

While HM and Pooh queue's may be next-gen I would venture to guess they aren't the "launch" of the technology property wide. Disney isn't spending the "billion" dollar figure we heard a couple years ago just to plus queue lines. This is a massive overhaul to the experience of going to a theme park.

On this note, we all need to keep an open mind about what next-gen actually entails. It definitely isn't just "meet and greets" or enhanced queue's as stated above.

We saw evidence of a survey, posted sometime this summer, that Disney was looking at truly immersive experiences as part of this property wide launch. Things like; when you exit the Haunted Mansion "ghost" footprints follow you around the park. A pirate "gang" recruits you as you enter Adventureland to go on an adventure.

I think we need to look at the new Wild Africa Trek for more insight as to what is in store.

Wait, how did this post get overlooked?

What do you mean "ghost footprints follow you around the park?"

Do you mean that ghostly footprints follow you out of the attraction? I can't imagine that they'd follow you around the park...that would be pretty impressive.

RSoxNo1

It irks me when someone calls AK a "half-day" park. I do agree that it could use more rides as my local zoo has many of the same exhibits of wildlife, but I challenge anyone to do the above list in a single day... You would be wiped out.

I would assume that when people view AK as a half day park they definitely don't see all 3 stage shows or visit Conservation Station. I'd also guess that they don't spend much time in the Oasis, Discovery Island or Tree of Life Exhibits.

Most people that go to their local zoo will spend 1-3 hours there. It's easy to do the same thing with the animal exhibits at the Animal Kingdom as well, but many people don't do that.

Uncle Lupe

Look at the Disney store in Time Square for some Next Gen tech today., magic mirror. By the time FLE opens this type of tech should be well integrated into the expansion, I hope.

NoChesterHester

Original Poster
Wait, how did this post get overlooked?

What do you mean "ghost footprints follow you around the park?"

Do you mean that ghostly footprints follow you out of the attraction? I can't imagine that they'd follow you around the park...that would be pretty impressive.

I am embilishing... Don't take that literally. I was just trying to point out that there are some real out of the box ideas that can be pushed forward with technology. This is really billed as changing the way we experience a theme park.

As for the "survey" post I remember it being hotly debated. It was a poster listing the items in an "online survey" they had taken sent to them by Disney just after a trip.

juniorthomas

I would assume that when people view AK as a half day park they definitely don't see all 3 stage shows or visit Conservation Station. I'd also guess that they don't spend much time in the Oasis, Discovery Island or Tree of Life Exhibits.

Most people that go to their local zoo will spend 1-3 hours there. It's easy to do the same thing with the animal exhibits at the Animal Kingdom as well, but many people don't do that.

People simply expect more from a Disney park. They dont go to DAK because its a zoo - they go there because its a Disney zoo. They want, regardless of how realistic it is, a MK like experience that's covered in animals. To them, evidently, Disney has yet to provide that.

I think its fine for what it needs to do. Every young park needs more rides. To me, DAK is a great fourth day option.

erasure fan1

People simply expect more from a Disney park. They dont go to DAK because its a zoo - they go there because its a Disney zoo. They want, regardless of how realistic it is, a MK like experience that's covered in animals. To them, evidently, Disney has yet to provide that.

I think its fine for what it needs to do. Every young park needs more rides. To me, DAK is a great fourth day option.
Disney has even billed it as its not zoo with the nota zoo campaign they did for a while.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think one major problem AK has is the lack of indoor attractions, merely to cool off and relax. Dinosaur is the only dark ride there and it's FAR from relaxing.

How many times do we hear people comment about attractions at the other parks as a great way to "cool off and relax".

I think a few C or D-ticket dark rides would do wonders for the park

TP2000

Are you kidding me? These numbers may be imperfect and/or out of date, but for a general sense:

Magic Kingdom: 40 rides/attractions

To be fair, a lot of those "attractions" counted to get to the 40 number are very minor, or not really attractions at all.

I would consider Magic Kingdom to have 35 rides/attractions at a stretch, and even then you are including in the 35 figure small walk-through "attractions" like Minnie's House, Mickey's House, Toontown Hall of Fame, Donald's Boat, etc.

To get up to the 40 attractions figure, you have to add in to that already padded 35 figure really minor stuff like Ariel's Grotto, Fairytale Garden storytime, Town Square Expo Hall, and start counting each of the Main Street Vehicles (Omnibus, Horseless Carriage, Horse-Drawn Streetcars) as separate "rides" instead of just clumping them together as one.

Add up the "attractions" at Magic Kingdom where you get in a moving ride vehicle or sit in a theater and watch a movie and/or animatronics perform (plus the Treehouse for good measure) and you get a grand total of 31 Attractions for the Magic Kingdom, which I think is a much more appropriate way to count that sort of thing.

Testtrack321

I think one major problem AK has is the lack of indoor attractions, merely to cool off and relax. Dinosaur is the only dark ride there and it's FAR from relaxing.

How many times do we hear people comment about attractions at the other parks as a great way to "cool off and relax".

Exactly my earlier point.

But what about *RAIN*. It's my biggest complaint with IoA and AK. Nearly the whole park shuts down if there's a moderate storm!

juniorthomas

Exactly my earlier point.

But what about *RAIN*. It's my biggest complaint with IoA and AK. Nearly the whole park shuts down if there's a moderate storm!

If I had a dollar for every time I've sprinted through DAK in pouring rain so I can freeze in the subzero temperatures of the Rainforest Cafe...

Let's invest in some canopies for the walk paths, shall we?

WDWFREAK53

Exactly!

The purpose of this is to keep people "out in nature" which is what the Animal Kingdom promotes.

A nice Peoplemover style attraction would be great...but theming it could be tricky...and I don't know if I want to see an elevated track above me.

I know, due to the structure of Everest, that it's basically impossible...but I'd love a smaller steam engine ride around the base of the mountain through the tea farms...and go through a tunnel in the mountain where you can hear the Yeti... Also have onboard narration discussing the story of the Forbidden Mountain and how the tea is grown and made. Also, some animal exhibits (maybe some Bactrian Camels (wooly camel), some Tarsiers (although small...could be really neat), and a Caracal (kinda like a puma with long ears).

juniorthomas

Exactly!

The purpose of this is to keep people "out in nature" which is what the Animal Kingdom promotes.

A nice Peoplemover style attraction would be great...but theming it could be tricky...and I don't know if I want to see an elevated track above me.

I know, due to the structure of Everest, that it's basically impossible...but I'd love a smaller steam engine ride around the base of the mountain through the tea farms...and go through a tunnel in the mountain where you can hear the Yeti... Also have onboard narration discussing the story of the Forbidden Mountain and how the tea is grown and made. Also, some animal exhibits (maybe some Bactrian Camels (wooly camel), some Tarsiers (although small...could be really neat), and a Caracal (kinda like a puma with long ears).

There is space for something like that behind around and behind Everest. Sounds reasonable.

juniorthomas

Right, I meant that it's probably not possible for the train to go through the mountain due to the multiple steel structures.

Yeah I got that. I think it would be a nice way to get a C-ticket/D-ticket into DAK, while adding more animals. Also, it wouldn't be an incredibly expensive addition (as compared to an E)

erasure fan1

Right, I meant that it's probably not possible for the train to go through the mountain due to the multiple steel structures.
yea but they could add some smaller mountains & caves off to the side since it is a huge mountain anyway. I think thats a really cool idea, it would give smaller kids a chance to experience EE in a way.

NoChesterHester

Original Poster
To be fair, a lot of those "attractions" counted to get to the 40 number are very minor, or not really attractions at all.

Actually, that is the point. It is what makes the MK or Disneyland feel to rich while a park like AK or MGM feels like it is underpopulated with things to do. There are rides in the MK just to get you excited about other rides (WDW Railroad and the TTA). Low tech stuff, high tech stuff, it is a very a strong mix.... There are lots and lots of minor attractions that give the returning visitor so many possible avenues to explore.

We could lose that dumb train out to Rafiki's Planet Watch and instead have your idea.... LOVE it!

yea but they could add some smaller mountains & caves off to the side since it is a huge mountain anyway. I think thats a really cool idea, it would give smaller kids a chance to experience EE in a way.

This is a great thought... like the TTA / Peoplemover is a ride for kids to experience Space Mountain before they are able or brave enough. I remember having that exact experience riding on the Peoplemover in tomorrowland as a young kid and I always had that sense of wonder when we passed through space mountain.

This is the "richness" I'm trying to describe. Would the TTA get built today... no way. People would complain about it not being exciting enough, or technological enough, or impressive enough for "Disney to waste their money on when we should have a new E-ticket."

I've watched these boards for years. The Disney nuts like us are as much to blame about the lack of B-C ticket additions as anyone. The expectation level has stifled the development of the parks some.

inluvwithbeast

I've watched these boards for years. The Disney nuts like us are as much to blame about the lack of B-C ticket additions as anyone. The expectation level has stifled the development of the parks some.

Yes, yes, yes.

I don't post a whole lot on these boards, at least not as much as some, but when a conversation like this comes up, I usually say something about this. The "small" tickets are what flesh out the Disney experience. You're not jumping from headliner to headliner like you would at say Six Flags. Riding TTA, the train, and the tea cups along with parades and shows-- those things separate Disney from the rest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom