NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

dhall

In the past, Disney would track you only if they had a really good reason for it. Now they can track millions individually with minimal cost and effort.

I believe that's the first time I've seen $1.5 billion (and climbing) and probably hundreds of man-years (to say nothing of the staff time Disney will invest in using the system) characterized as 'minimal cost and effort'.

Tom

Beta Return
I heard from a CM friend that people at his attraction have been trained for MagicBands and they are just about ready to go

As in, there's one beta attraction? Without divulging your source, can you share which attraction this might be...hypothetically?

ParentsOf4

I believe that's the first time I've seen $1.5 billion (and climbing) and probably hundreds of man-years (to say nothing of the staff time Disney will invest in using the system) characterized as 'minimal cost and effort'.
The WDW theme and water parks have about 50 million visitors annually. Even if all $1.5B was spent just to collect (using Iger's phrase) location information, that's $30/visit. Now spread out that investment over a few years. Furthermore, much of the money invested in NextGen is not directly related to collecting location information. When all factors are considered, Disney probably is spending a few dollars per visit.

Compare that cost to, for example, hiring a P.I. to follow someone to collect location information for one day.

Justice Alito's statement is completely understandable.

P.S. Note the $1.5B should include all associated labor and material costs.

MattM

The WDW theme and water parks have about 50 million visitors annually. Even if all $1.5B was spent just to collect (using Iger's phrase) location information, that's $30/visit. Now spread out that investment over a few years. Furthermore, much of the money invested in NextGen is not directly related to collecting location information. When all factors are considered, Disney probably is spending a few dollars per visit.

Compare that cost to, for example, hiring a P.I. to follow someone to collect location information for one day.

Justice Alito's statement is completely understandable.

P.S. Note the $1.5B should include all associated labor and material costs.
Did I misunderstand you, or are you saying that if the 1.5 billion would have been allocated to new attractions that would not be a major investment?

RSoxNo1

One crazy idea I had was for a law requiring anyone using tracking technology to post a sign in front of each device large enough to be read by anyone whose position was being tracked. (Think of signs posted at the theme park entrances, entrances at each attraction with RFID readers, etc. "Your location information is being recorded.") Do that at WDW and the public very quickly would demand something be done.:D The government wouldn't even have to step in. Once people realized how closely their positions were being monitored, enough might be "creeped out" to cause a drop in attendance, forcing Disney is take them out on their own.

Corporations often don't want you to know what they are doing because it hurts business. Simply require them to disclose what they are doing and they quickly learn it's financially not worth doing.

I can't wait to see how they theme the warning signs #DisneyMagic

ParentsOf4

Did I misunderstand you, or are you saying that if the 1.5 billion would have been allocated to new attractions that would not be a major investment?
My post noted the economy of scale (i.e. cost per unit) of investing $1.5B on NextGen, a portion of which allows Disney to collect "location information" on 50 million annual visitors. My post suggests that just a few years ago such economy of scale did not exist and has become possible only through, as Justice Alito referred to it, "dramatic technological change".

P.S. Some time ago I posted possible ways Disney could recover its investment through means beyond the datamining aspects. See:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-starts-to-appear.857948/page-19#post-5268660

When all possible financial benefits of NextGen are taken into consideration, it could be the datamining aspects (e.g. "location information") are essentially "free" to Disney. All protests to the contrary, companies advertise because it works. Considering Disney spends nearly $2B annually on advertising, it's understandable that additional information allowing Disney to more effectively spend its advertising budget as well as improve park operation efficiency would be considered extremely valuable to Disney.

To quote the Gordon Gekko character in Wall Street: "The most valuable commodity I know of is information."

darthhaider

Hey folks. I opened up the Disney Experience app on my iPad and went to my reservations. My room booking is there, and so are my dining reservations. But, now there is also a Fast Pass+ Experience area. It is not active yet, but it does exist.

I was not able to find this same section on my iPhone.

How far in advance are we supposedly able to begin FP+ bookings?

Genie of the Lamp

Hey folks. I opened up the Disney Experience app on my iPad and went to my reservations. My room booking is there, and so are my dining reservations. But, now there is also a Fast Pass+ Experience area. It is not active yet, but it does exist.

I was not able to find this same section on my iPhone.

Greetings new/first time member and Welcome to WDWMAGIC!:) To answer your question, you will/are able to begin booking your FP+ reservations 60 days in advance prior to the day you leave for WDW. You can only book 3 reservations per day though. Here's an article to help you out:
http://mousehints.com/my-magic-plus/fastpass-plus

ParentsOf4

The latest information is FP+ selections will be available 60 days prior to arrival. There are reports of numerous bugs (including reports of people being able to see other people's reservations) so it's unclear exactly what the rollout schedule will be. There will be an overlap period where the old FP and new FP+ both will be operational.

Genie of the Lamp

The latest information is FP+ selections will be available 60 days prior to arrival. There are reports of numerous bugs (including reports of people being able to see other people's reservations) so it's unclear exactly what the rollout schedule will be. There will be an overlap period where the old FP and new FP+ both will be operational.

Thank goodness that didn't happen to him/her. Although if it did, it would've made some headlines on here just like @Soarin' Over Pgh I mean Kevin did last week when she saw someone else's info,etc.

darthhaider

darthhaider

Upon further inspection, only two of my family members are showing up on my reservation for the parks. Well, the reservation says two adults and two kids, but only myself and my daughter show up. I can't figure out how to add my wife and other daughter.

I am referring to the Disney Experience app. All four of us used to appear when I clicked on the hotel reservation.

Any cause for concern? How can I straighten this up before the FP+ launch?

ParentsOf4

Upon further inspection, only two of my family members are showing up on my reservation for the parks. Well, the reservation says two adults and two kids, but only myself and my daughter show up. I can't figure out how to add my wife and other daughter.

I am referring to the Disney Experience app. All four of us used to appear when I clicked on the hotel reservation.

Any cause for concern? How can I straighten this up before the FP+ launch?
Yours is not the first time someone has reported this type of problem. Gotta like software bugs; MyMagic+ has lots of them!:D

If you are nervous, you can check your reservation online or call Disney directly. Otherwise, you can wait until your vacation is closer and check again. Hopefully they'll have the biggest bugs fixed by then.

Sorry, one more thing. A couple of people have reported online problems but when they called, their reservations were OK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom