NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yours is not the first time someone has reported this type of problem. Gotta like software bugs; MyMagic+ has lots of them!:D

If you are nervous, you can check your reservation online or call Disney directly. Otherwise, you can wait until your vacation is closer and check again. Hopefully they'll have the biggest bugs fixed by then.

Sorry, one more thing. A couple of people have reported online problems but when they called, their reservations were OK.

Can I book my software bugs 180 days in advance?

Hogofwar

We'll be arriving on the 27th of march.

Is it possible to do fastpass+ now for then, or is it not open yet? Has anything to do with mymagic+ available right now to do?

flynnibus

Premium Member
We'll be arriving on the 27th of march.

Is it possible to do fastpass+ now for then, or is it not open yet? Has anything to do with mymagic+ available right now to do?

Not yet. Only thing that has changed are the cards given to you at the hotel and the ticket media handed out. So paying with room charging can use tap to pay... But that's it basically so far

GrumpyFan

I ran across the following article on data collection and what the big companies who specialize in it collect and how they use it. It hit my radar because they specifically mentioned Disney.

If you're paranoid or just curious, you should check it out, it's quite interesting. I included a few snippets here, but go read the whole thing, it's pretty interesting, or scary, depending on how you feel about it all.

Everything We Know About What Data Brokers Know About You -
How much do these companies know about individual people?
They start with the basics, like names, addresses and contact information, and add on demographics, like age, race, occupation and "education level," according to consumer data firm Acxiom's overview of its various categories.​
But that's just the beginning: The companies collect lists of people experiencing "life-event triggers" like getting married, buying a home, sending a kid to college — or even getting divorced.​
Credit reporting giant Experian has a separate marketing services division, which sells lists of "names of expectant parents and families with newborns" that are "updated weekly."​
The companies also collect data about your hobbies and many of the purchases you make. Want to buy a list of people who read romance novels? Epsilon can sell you that, as well as a list of people who donate to international aid charities.​
A subsidiary of credit reporting company Equifax even collects detailed salary and paystub information for roughly 38 percent of employed Americans, as NBC news reported. As part of handling employee verification requests, the company gets the information directly from employers.​
Where are they getting all this info?
The stores where you shop sell it to them.​
Datalogix, for instance, which collects information from store loyalty cards, says it has information on more than $1 trillion in consumer spending "across 1400+ leading brands." It doesn't say which ones. (Datalogix did not respond to our requests for comment.)​
Only two companies actually responded with details about how volunteers' information had been shared. Upscale furniture store Restoration Hardware said that it had sent "your name, address and what you purchased" to seven other companies, including a data "cooperative" that allows retailers to pool data about customer transactions, and another company that later became part of Datalogix. (Restoration Hardware hasn't responded to our request for comment.)​
Walt Disney also responded and described sharing even more information: not just a person's name and address and what they purchased, but their age, occupation, and the number, age and gender of their children. It listed companies that received data, among them companies owned by Disney, like ABC and ESPN, as well as others, including Honda, HarperCollins Publishing, Almay cosmetics, and yogurt company Dannon.​
But Disney spokeswoman Zenia Mucha said that Disney's letter, sent in 2007, "wasn't clear" about how the data was actually shared with different companies on the list. Outside companies like Honda only received personal information as part of a contest, sweepstakes, or other joint promotion that they had done with Disney, Mucha said. The data was shared "for the fulfillment of that contest prize, not for their own marketing purposes."​
Where else do data brokers get information about me?
Government records and other publicly available information, including some sources that may surprise you. Your state Department of Motor Vehicles, for instance, may sell personal information — like your name, address, and the type of vehicles you own — to data companies, although only for certain permitted purposes, including identify verification.​
Public voting records, which include information about your party registration and how often you vote, can also be bought and sold for commercial purposes in some states.​
Are there limits to the kinds of data these companies can buy and sell?
Yes, certain kinds of sensitive data are protected — but much of your information can be bought and sold without any input from you.​
Do companies collect information about my social media profiles and what I do online?
Yes.​
As we highlighted last year, some data companies record — and then resell — all kinds of information you post online, including your screen names, website addresses, interests, hometown and professional history, and how many friends or followers you have.​
Acxiom said it collects information about which social media sites individual people use, and "whether they are a heavy or a light user," but that they do not collect information about "individual postings" or your "lists of friends."​
How do I know when someone has purchased data about me?
Most of the time, you don't.​
How many people do these companies have information on?
Basically everyone in the U.S. and many beyond it. Acxiom, recently profiled by the New York Times, says it has information on 500 million people worldwide, including "nearly every U.S. consumer."​
How is all of this data actually used?
Mostly to sell you stuff. Companies want to buy lists of people who might be interested in what they're selling — and also want to learn more about their current customers.​
They also sell their information for other purposes, including identity verification, fraud prevention and background checks.​

pumpkin7

Here's a question. What if I am going away on the 21st of June, which I am, but you know, and they decide that you can only have FP+ a week before I'm due to go. I can't book anything because everything will be taken. Will the normal FP still be available during this transitional period because if not, that's really going to blow big time.

ParentsOf4

Here's a question. What if I am going away on the 21st of June, which I am, but you know, and they decide that you can only have FP+ a week before I'm due to go. I can't book anything because everything will be taken. Will the normal FP still be available during this transitional period because if not, that's really going to blow big time.
Call me an optimist but I don't see the FP-to-FP+ transition being sudden. I suspect the overlap between FP and FP+ will last for several months with Disney, over time, slowly altering the FP/FP+ allocation ratio based on demand.

Goofyernmost

Call me an optimist but I don't see the FP-to-FP+ transition being sudden. I suspect the overlap between FP and FP+ will last for several months with Disney, over time, slowly altering the FP/FP+ allocation ratio based on demand.
I don't see regular FP as disappearing at all. They might call it something different but if they are going to charge people offsite the same entrance fee as onsite they cannot exclude those people without a huge public relations fiasco and loss of business. They will offer, perhaps additional stuff to onsite folks but they cannot totally exclude offsite guests without very negative results. There are more offsite people then onsite. Worst case scenario I see, is that offsite people will have to pay for a FP, just like Universal does now. Since Disney isn't a leader anymore, they might just as well follow the competition.

ParentsOf4

I don't see regular FP as disappearing at all. They might call it something different but if they are going to charge people offsite the same entrance fee as onsite they cannot exclude those people without a huge public relations fiasco and loss of business. They will offer, perhaps additional stuff to onsite folks but they cannot totally exclude offsite guests without very negative results. There are more offsite people then onsite. Worst case scenario I see, is that offsite people will have to pay for a FP, just like Universal does now. Since Disney isn't a leader anymore, they might just as well follow the competition.
Putting on my positive MM+ hat for a change, there has been nothing officially announced indicating WDW will distinguish between offsite and onsite guests. (Did I just write that? ;))

FP+ reservations could be tied to tickets, not resort reservations. It's possible that someone with a 10-day ticket will be allowed to make reservations for up to 10 days. Rumors are for AP holders, they'll be allowed a certain number of FP+ days per quarter.

Conversely, FP+ is a valuable asset. Current WDW management has shown an eagerness to push prices. If FP+ could be used to lure more guests onsite into WDW's expensive resorts (where occupancy rates are down to 79%), are we to expect they won't use FP+ to their financial benefit?

I'm sure all options have been discussed but I don't think explicitly charging offsite guests for FP+ (a la Universal) is considered a serious option at this time.

Longhairbear

Putting on my positive MM+ hat for a change, there has been nothing officially announced indicating WDW will distinguish between offsite and onsite guests. (Did I just write that? ;))

FP+ reservations could be tied to tickets, not resort reservations. It's possible that someone with a 10-day ticket will be allowed to make reservations for up to 10 days. Rumors are for AP holders, they'll be allowed a certain number of FP+ days per quarter.

Conversely, FP+ is a valuable asset. Current WDW management has shown an eagerness to push prices. If FP+ could be used to lure more guests onsite into WDW's expensive resorts (where occupancy rates are down to 79%), are we to expect they won't use FP+ to their financial benefit?

I'm sure all options have been discussed but I don't think explicitly charging offsite guests for FP+ (a la Universal) is considered a serious option at this time.
Can AP holders get a chance to pre book a FP+? They would have to know what day they want it for if it was weeks ahead. Would there be a penalty for not using the FP+, and not canceling it ahead of time, such as losing that allotted FP+ on their AP? Much like I use, or lose my DVC points I suppose. I can imagine AP's getting extra FP+ for staying on property as a perk.

ParentsOf4

Can AP holders get a chance to pre book a FP+? They would have to know what day they want it for if it was weeks ahead. Would there be a penalty for not using the FP+, and not canceling it ahead of time, such as losing that allotted FP+ on their AP? Much like I use, or lose my DVC points I suppose. I can imagine AP's getting extra FP+ for staying on property as a perk.
Nothing is known for certain at this time. Although some information has leaked, I wouldn't put much stock in it. Something that might have been in the plans when MM+ was first announced in January might no longer be in the plans today. MM+ will evolve and it's likely to be a few years before MM+ stabilizes. For example, when initial FP+ testing was conducted in 2012, participants were allocated 4 FP+ experiences per day. In a January interview, Disney P&R head Tom Staggs mentioned it would be 3 FP+ experiences per days.

For AP holders, it was suggested that they would receive a certain number of FP+ days per period. For example, maybe 5 FP+ days per month or 10 FP+ days per quarter, with 3 FP+ experiences per day.

The Disney Experience Terms and Conditions includes the following:
  • When you initially make FastPass+ selections for a particular park, you will select a FastPass+ experience set and if your plans change, you may modify the entire FastPass+ experience set until the first FastPass+ experience is redeemed or the first unredeemed experience expires. You may modify an unredeemed individual FastPass+ experience any time prior to the end the day.
  • All FastPass+ selections, whether arranged by you or a Connected Friend, expire at the end of the day for which they were confirmed. Unused and expired selections count toward the FastPass+ experience limit for the day.
Thus, it appears all guests will lose FP+ experiences if they don't cancel or alter prior to arrival. For AP holders, especially locals, I can imagine them constantly making FP+ reservations 60 days out and then cancelling them as that day approaches and they realize they won't go on that particular day. In my mind, they would have a rolling set of FP+ reservations.

Each FP is a valuable commodity. Right now, FP simply is included with the price of admission. Whether we like it or not, it makes business sense for Disney to alter how FP+ will be distributed to their financial advantage.

MM+ integrates Disney's many systems to a degree that did not exist in the past. It could be hypothesized that "bonus" FP+ will be distributed for all sorts of reasons. For example, as you suggest, to DVC members. Or as a perk to replace "Free Dining". Or to people who spend a lot onsite at Disney. In this sense, FP+ could become like a "frequent diner" rewards card common at many restaurants.

All of this is conjecture. My opinion is that MM+ first needs to walk before it can run. Right now, MM+ is tripping over its feet. I fully expect it will take several years to implement all FP+ rules.

nor'easter

All of this is conjecture. My opinion is that MM+ first needs to walk before it can run. Right now, MM+ is tripping over its feet. I fully expect it will take several years to implement all FP+ rules.

Some of the stumbles when I was there the last wek of Feb.:

I would say it didn't work about 10% -15% of the time we used it during the week. For some reason, stores seemed to have more problems than restaurants. One purchase at the World of Disney at Epcot would not go through, because the reader said we were over limit (on the 2nd day). I knew this had to be wrong. After we got back to our resort I discovered someone else's account was attached to our room! They quickly fixed it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I would say it didn't work about 10% -15% of the time we used it during the week. For some reason, stores seemed to have more problems than restaurants. One purchase at the World of Disney at Epcot would not go through, because the reader said we were over limit (on the 2nd day). I knew this had to be wrong. After we got back to our resort I discovered someone else's account was attached to our room! They quickly fixed it.

This seems to be an increasingly commonplace occurrence.....

Longhairbear

I guess I won't ever use the magic band for purchases, or allow my credit card attached to one. That's of course if we ever go back to WDW, having more fun at DLR.

stevehousse

I think that is one of the scariest things about the magic band! And this is something that should have been figured out before testing even began! I can just see the debacle!

There is an indoor waterpark near where I lie and they have always used the RFID bands since opening a few years ago. I know a lot of people including myself that have stayed there and never had a problem like this! I think it's everyone's biggest fear! There is no excuse for a company as large a Disney to screw up like this! If my tiny waterpark can do it, it should be a no brainer for Disney! What a shame...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think that is one of the scariest things about the magic band! And this is something that should have been figured out before testing even began! I can just see the debacle!

This risk has nothing to do with RFID and is a risk with any house charge account system. It's a risk that has been there for decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom