NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

danlb_2000

Premium Member
i'm all for streamlining what i carry too. i guess you'll be able to tell whose been to disney now by the big white untanned stripe on their arms lol.

I was wondering how it works if they have you book your fast passes months in advance for say a 7 day trip and you book your full allotment how do you remember or access when your fp times are once you're actually on vacation if you were to ONLY have your arm band thing on ...or will they just assume everyone has an iphone?

Same you remember all your ADRs, you print it out before you leave.

EvilQueen-T

maybe someday they'll add something akin to the price check scanners some of the stores like target, walmart etc... have to check things like when your next fp time is or whatever and we could walk in with the armband and no other cargo. then you'd really feel like a kid again. (trying to make myself look on the bright side of all the changes).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
maybe someday they'll add something akin to the price check scanners some of the stores like target, walmart etc... have to check things like when your next fp time is or whatever and we could walk in with the armband and no other cargo. then you'd really feel like a kid again. (trying to make myself look on the bright side of all the changes).

There ARE some potential good things that could come out of this...merchandise transactions could be sent to the hotel room much faster with all of the data being on the wristband, no more long green form to fill out each time, will probably make that option more popular for on-site guests.

The problem is I don't have enough of faith in Disney's IT or the corporation for it to work well.

EvilQueen-T

@ChrisFL I agree with you there. Personally getting a little tired of the "pardon our pixie dust" message popping up just on their regular site and there is certainly a big difference between what something SHOULD be able to do and what it will ACTUALLY do consistently. I cannot imagine how stressful a job in their IT dept would be right about now.

SoupBone

There ARE some potential good things that could come out of this...merchandise transactions could be sent to the hotel room much faster with all of the data being on the wristband, no more long green form to fill out each time, will probably make that option more popular for on-site guests.

The problem is I don't have enough of faith in Disney's IT or the corporation for it to work well.

Man oh man I hope this is incorporated into NextGen. This would make my trips so much easier since I do this at every single place I purchase items. Is this rumored or something that will be implemented?

sbkline

I think the magic band is kinda cool... don't have to worry about losing my key card in the parks or pool... I wonder if they'll have a way to charge to it. Won't have to bring my wallet around. When I'm walking around the countries in Epcot, the lighter I carry the better!

I logged onto this thread just now to post essentially the same thing, lol. After expressing all my fears and concerns about the fastpass aspect of it, I thought it only fair to point out what I see as a positive. It's a pain in the butt to always have to get out my wallet, pull my card out, put it back in, etc. Especially when driving up to the hotel. I have lean up in my seat to get my wallet out, get the card out, make sure I pull up close enough to the card thing so I can reach to insert my card to make the bar go up, then put my card back in my wallet and back into my back pocket (and hope that I don't accidentally drop the card out of the van window, having to unbuckle and get out of the van to pick it up, etc). Concerns about fastpass aside, I like the idea of just having a convenient wristband that I can wave in front of the sensors without having to dig out my wallet. And I already mentioned earlier in this thread about my wife being asleep in the hotel room when I am at the pool so I have to bring a key card with me, whereas I can now just wear my wristband to the pool and wave it in front of the door when I am ready to go back to the room. No more having to bring a card with me to the pool, or hoping that someone is awake enough on the other side of that door to hear me knocking.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Man oh man I hope this is incorporated into NextGen. This would make my trips so much easier since I do this at every single place I purchase items. Is this rumored or something that will be implemented?

I don't know but it makes sense to me...the current system is too complicated IMO (having been in Main St. Merchandise, I'm well aware of it)

stlphil

i'm all for streamlining what i carry too. i guess you'll be able to tell whose been to disney now by the big white untanned stripe on their arms lol.

I was wondering how it works if they have you book your fast passes months in advance for say a 7 day trip and you book your full allotment how do you remember or access when your fp times are once you're actually on vacation if you were to ONLY have your arm band thing on ...or will they just assume everyone has an iphone?

I've mentioned this in another post, but just get a used iPod touch. With park-wide wifi it will run the exact same apps as an iPhone for a price that is very small relative to a WDW vacation.

lazyboy97o

I wonder what this could do to discounts for Annual Passholders, Disney's Vacation Club members, etc. That information would all be tied into your MagicBand. As of now, one must remember to ask for the discount and show the pass or whatever. Will the MagicBand automatically apply discounts? Would Disney like having these discounts automatically applied?

COProgressFan

You don't need to, there will be kiosks. It will just make things easier for you.

I know you don't need to....but the very concept of using some sort of special electronic gadget to optimally plan and organize visiting rides in a theme park (lest you get the leftover FP+ slots for things like Tiki Room or the like) is just ridiculous.

I'm sure I can go to a park the day I visit and see what's available (on the 1 kiosk currently available at city hall)...

stlphil

If you need to buy used electronic gadgets in order to visit attractions at WDW, that is a problem.

If you don't want to use electronic gadgets while touring the parks, I get that, really I do. But in this brave new world of NextGen you WILL be at a relative disadvantage.

I was just pointing out an option for those who don't have (or don't want to pay for) a smartphone, and yet are still willing to play the gadget game and not be at a disadvantage.

DisneyLeo18

This isn't an issue isolated to WDW

If you don't have a smart phone (or device such as a tablet or ipod touch whatever) you're at a disadvantage. Yes you have access to everything, it just may be more difficult/more steps for you.

When people go to an event they can pull their ticket up on their smart phone now, order food from their seats, enter a contest by texting a number. It's how the world is adjusting and making things available. I for one love that I can view/store FP on my smartphone. As for booking them 2 months in advance, no thanks. But the paperless route is great IMO.

tracyandalex

We are considering taking a short trip the first weekend of March. Does anyone know if we will have to hand over our paper APs for a wristband? We would really like to see how things go before becoming converts. Also, since we are only thinking about this trip (there are a lot of factors at play which will decide if we actually go or not) we obviously will not be booking a resort 60 days out to book FP+ so we would like to still be able to get paper FPs.
For our opinions on Next Gen we are on the fence, we see the good potential, but we also see the bed potential and are thus reserving opinion until it has been fully up and running for a little bit.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if TDO is going for the DVC/ADR model.

DVC members can book up to 11 months in advance at their “Home Resort”, 7 months at the other resorts. My Home Resort is Boardwalk Villas and I already can’t book a Studio for Thanksgiving weekend, 10 ½ months away. By the 7-month window, most rooms will be unavailable.

It’s similar to booking an ADR for Cinderella’s Royal Table. In many cases, if you don’t book it as soon as possible, you’re out of luck.

By creating the FP+ system the way they did, with a 60-day booking window, is TDO hoping we’ll climb over each other to book “good” FP+ experiences right at the 60-day mark? Once we’ve booked these, is TDO hoping we’ll feel fully committed to vacationing at WDW rather than visit Universal, SeaWorld, etc.?

Sounds like a great excuse for TDO to let quality decline further. Why bother with quality when you can get people to commit to WDW months in advance by creating a system designed to prey on their worst fears? (The “fear” being vacationing at WDW without any “good” FP+.)

TDO might be playing us for fools.

Depends....It could have the opposite effect for many. I mean, if some can't get the good FPs for their vacation, maybe they'll do something else. Perhaps, TDO is trying to play us for fools, but they'll wind up looking foolish instead. :lookaroun

Something tells me they're misjudging the human element here. I told my sister about this last night (somewhat local in her case, she lives in Seminole, Fl) and she thought it was the stupidest thing she's ever heard. I just told her the facts in my professional, boring scientist voice. I didn't even tell her that there is the potential to do things like make hot dog ressies at Casey's which make me laugh every time I think about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom