NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

Dasnowz

trying to find links now but again the channel 6 news has ran 3 stories on this so far today with a vp ( horrible at names) giving interviews. he claims they cannot track individual locations. there is more coming on it in about 25 min.

I found the second video ran but not the third one.
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Vi...ram/-/1637132/18041864/-/bi6fxnz/-/index.html

he does say in one of the interviews fast passes are going away. day people will need a smart phone to book one in the morning of the trip. He also said that fp will be limited to three per day for everyone.

I will keep looking for the other videos and see what comes up in next set of interviews.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How are you expecting the passwords to be returned? They do have to be humanly readable after-all, and they are of course encrypted in the database.

Yeah but the proper way would be to have one way encryption only for that type of data. Unless they need to feed that string to some external site, they should not use reversible encryption.

But to sirlink... Just spreading fud - nextgen doesn't change his concerns

Disneyhead'71

Since I don't even have a "credit" card a lot of this concern is lost on me. But I understand it.

But here is where this program will effect me. As a local who would be using an AP, who also has APs to Universal and SeaWorld. Yeah, I would get 20 FP+ per year, but with APs to 3 different resorts we NEVER decide which one we are going to until the morning of. So say, Sat. June 25th, we decide to go to DHS. With Resort Guests reserving TSMM FP+ 180 days out, And those that didn't get them because they maxed out by 10am jockeying for cancelations for 180 days. I will be using my 20 FP+ for a reserved spot for GMR (always a walk on) and LMA (which has a half empty arena). Whoot! Making $1500 worth of APs for my 2 daughters and I really seem to be more than a waste.

scbb11Sketch

I think there are plans for other options besides a bracelet, like a card, or lanyard even. But, I haven't seen anything official yet.
There better be. We just got back from the holidays, and we had our normal room key card to get into the parks, and they worked with all the RFID scanners too. Absolutely no problem taking out my wallet for 4 seconds to do something like that. I don't want a lame cumbersome bracelet on my wrist for days at a time when it won't get used more than a few times a day.\
They're creating too many things to worry about while you're on vacation. This time and effort could be better spent engineering new rides and shows.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With Resort Guests reserving TSMM FP+ 180 days out, And those that didn't get them because they maxed out by 10am jockeying for cancelations for 180 days

So here is my theory - this is based only on my own theories of how/why they would make this work.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting selections day of - maybe not the time you wanted - but I think for all but the busiest periods you won't have a problem.

Why? Because they are limiting how many FPs you can get.. not everyone will be able to get a FP for that attraction because they allocated their choice elsewhere.. their return ratio will be much higher (so the # of passes they give out will be far more true to usage).. and because FP+ will be so much more controlled, they can get far more people actually through the FP+ line.

So my theory is this all will result in much better availability of FP+ slots.

Disney knows they need to keep 'day of..' capacity. They can hold capacity back until day of to meet this need too... or even release new capacity all throughout the day.

These are things that can be balanced if they chose to.

asianway

trying to find links now but again the channel 6 news has ran 3 stories on this so far today with a vp ( horrible at names) giving interviews. he claims they cannot track individual locations. there is more coming on it in about 25 min.

I found the second video ran but not the third one.
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Vi...ram/-/1637132/18041864/-/bi6fxnz/-/index.html

he does say in one of the interviews fast passes are going away. day people will need a smart phone to book one in the morning of the trip. He also said that fp will be limited to three per day for everyone.

I will keep looking for the other videos and see what comes up in next set of interviews.
Thats Nick Franklin - hes the one who will swing for this.

Disneyhead'71

But their brainwashing machine might break with all the guests going to Antartica and Diagon Alley.
The days of pretending that WDW is alone in the market are over. Disney can't squelch the appeal of Diagon Alley. So, dare I say, WDW needs to start riding Potter's robe tails. They need to start offering Universal and SeaWorld passes as add ons to their packages and even running Mears shuttles (at a price) from the TTC (not the resorts) to both Universal and SeaWorld. They can't stop them from going, but that way they can limit the bleeding (by keeping them from staying at Universal's new resort or renting a car) by making it easier to have limited visits off property.

Pixie Duster's will throw a fit and UniFanBois will declare victory. So what! Disney can't stop the tsunami Universal is about to unleash, and it may actually make for a stronger symbiotic relationship. Face it, Universal is not the market parasite they once were. They are now a force to be reckoned with. And the sooner Disney realizes this the better they will fare.

ParentsOf4

So here is my theory - this is based only on my own theories of how/why they would make this work.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting selections day of - maybe not the time you wanted - but I think for all but the busiest periods you won't have a problem.

Why? Because they are limiting how many FPs you can get.. not everyone will be able to get a FP for that attraction because they allocated their choice elsewhere.. their return ratio will be much higher (so the # of passes they give out will be far more true to usage).. and because FP+ will be so much more controlled, they can get far more people actually through the FP+ line.

So my theory is this all will result in much better availability of FP+ slots.

Disney knows they need to keep 'day of..' capacity. They can hold capacity back until day of to meet this need too... or even release new capacity all throughout the day.

These are things that can be balanced if they chose to.
Do you happen to know the capacity of the attractions? At MK, what you suggest might work. They've got a lot of attractions and enough "good" ones that maybe they'll have enough FP+ for most people, if they distribute 1-to-2 "good" FP+ (Think Space Mountain) and 1-to-2 "not so good" FP+ (think SGE).

I just saw an interview with Staggs stating people would get 3 FP+ per day. MK averages a little over 46,600 guests per day. That means they need to create about 140,000 FP+ experiences. Even if an attraction handles 1000 per hour (I think that's low for many attractions), the park is open for an average of 14 hours per day, so a single attraction has the capacity for at least 14,000/day. Assuming they split capacity 50/50 between FP+ line and Standby line, MK needs 20 experiences for an average day. Still, it does suggest Standby lines might be rough. Al those reports of expected longer Standby lines could very well be true.

Even though the other parks have much lower attendance, they could have a harder time. Let's face it; there aren't that many "must do" attractions at Epcot, DHS, and DAK.

I've read Expedition Everest capacity is 2000 per hour. DAK has much shorter days, closer to 10 hours per day. That's 20,000/day but beyond KS, Dinosaur, Nemo, and Lion King, what else is a "must do" at DAK? Maybe they should have waited for Avatarland before deploying FP+.;)

I don't think loading will be any faster though. Disney already strives for optimal load time and nothing in NextGen increases ride capacity.

Disneyhead'71

@Disneyhead'71, I was being sarcastic! :)
Yeah, I knew that. Your previous posting/liking history reflects that. I was adding to your comment, but mostly just pontificating on the "head in the sand" past history of TDO. And about the only way they may actually not get kicked upside the head again.
Do I think it will happen, (even though the DLR sells Universal Hollywood and Knott's passes as add on to their packages)? Not a chance in #€LL.

the.dreamfinder

Do I think it will happen, (even though the DLR sells Universal Hollywood and Knott's passes as add on to their packages)? Not a chance in #€LL.
I didn't know that. Is it similar to the LACityPass?
It is a shame that Disney won't do what you suggested or what I've thought that they should do with UNI and SW for a long time: Streamline Guest Assistance Cards to keep free loaders out and make the process simple and respectful for the parties that have guests who need it and a MagLev line connecting all three properties to MCO.

TP2000

I tried to leave a comment for "Tom Staggs" on the Parks Blog this afternoon, but it wasn't approved. I was a tad concerned as a Disneyland AP how this would work, and I guess they already had their fill of concerns and were just ready to post happy-shiny thoughts from bored housewives for the rest of the day.

Also, I'm not stupid enough to think that Tom was actually sitting at his computer answering the questions on the blog today, nor did he even write that blog last night at the kitchen table. He doesn't have time for that kind of junk. It's all written and managed by his corporate communications team and he just bought off on the concept of posting something "from him" to kick off the NextGen thing. Nice headshot though. :cool:

dxwwf3

The biggest things I'm worried about with FP+ is the limiting of actual FP tickets per day. Now if I get to the park early enough, I can get FP's throughout the day for all of the headline attractions. I'm worried with this program it will no longer be possible to ride Space, Splash, and Big Thunder in the same day using FP for all, which I do all the time now.

I'm also worried about park hopping options with the system as well. Still a lot left to hear about how all of this is going to work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom