NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

SirLink

How are you expecting the passwords to be returned? They do have to be humanly readable after-all, and they are of course encrypted in the database.

No I expect them to return a link to a password reset on their side. I think that is fair game.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How are you expecting the passwords to be returned? They do have to be humanly readable after-all, and they are of course encrypted in the database.

Actually they don't. A secure login system doesn't store the actual passwords they store mathematical hashes of the password. That is why a lot of sites won't allow you to retrieve a password, they force you to reset. This is done in case someone hacks in and gains access to the password database.

GrumpyFan

Prepare for heavy [Magic] Contra Band.
I love those guys, they rock! :D
Seriously, though, it will be interesting to see how quickly, or if the counterfeiters can crack this.
I predict we'll see counterfeit bands by mid-year, but they'll be useless, much like the "discount/used tickets", that many scam ticket sellers push on unsuspecting tourists. I could envision a market for used bands too, and re-sellers attempting to use these as well.

the.dreamfinder

@SirLink, I think there are greater concerns with NextGen than credit card theft. Who is watching the people who will supervise this data mining/surveillance system? I'm not talking about who, it will obviously be Disney, but what kinds of folks will be overseeing this? Will there be extensive background checks? Will their use of this software be monitored? Are managers of this software being trained to address these issues?

I bring these issues up because these kinds of concerns have been raised at the NSA with employees using the technologies for malevolent purposes. That's the privacy angle that I'm concerned with.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Someone could still hack into your email and reset your passwords, using a link.

But when a password is reset, you know about it next time you try to login. If a password is stolen it could be used for quite a long time before you would know about it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@SirLink, I think there are greater concerns with NextGen than credit card theft. Who is watching the people who will supervise this data mining/surveillance system? I'm not talking about who, it will obviously be Disney, but what kinds of folks will be overseeing this? Will there be extensive background checks? Will their use of this software be monitored? Are managers of this software being trained to address these issues?

I bring these issues up because these kinds of concerns have been raised at the NSA with employees using the technologies for malevolent purposes. That's the privacy angle that I'm concerned with.

What kind of information are you concerned about a Disney employee getting from this system that they don't already have access to?

SirLink

Oh I agree, I think how they are protecting the servers ... who they are letting interpret the data... who they sell this data to ... what info they give to the cast on the ground ... especially M+G's with the kids ... oh well.

Ava83

But when a password is reset, you know about it next time you try to login. If a password is stolen it could be used for quite a long time before you would know about it.

If you sent a note to get your password changed and they send you a TEMPORARY password to use (that shows up readable) on their site to change it, then the next time you log there will be an issue.

Same thing no?

GrumpyFan

Seems to be a lot of mis-information floating around, leading some to be paranoid.
Go ahead, call me naive if you want, but I just don't see where letting Disney have this information is any more dangerous, than WalMart, Amazon, McDonalds or any other retailer. It's not any safer either, but I'm confident that they will try and safeguard it to the best of their ability, just like they always have, and they've had my information for more than 15 years now. So, I don't see how this is any different.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If you sent a note to get your password changed and they send you a TEMPORARY password to use (that shows up readable) on their site to change it, then the next time you log there will be an issue.

Same thing no?

Yes, a temp password would be another way to do a reset without having to store the user's actual password.

the.dreamfinder

Anybody at ANY establishment who has your personal information can already do this, if they want to. What makes Disney any different?
If you're seriously worried about this, you probably shouldn't be on the Internet or out anywhere in public...
I'm worried about minors. I as an adult can choose o or not choose to give consent to be monitored. Children are a different matter and Disney needs that "family friendly" rule to make NextGen legal.

roodlesnouter

Does any one else think this will even out park attendance?

for example. Johnny usually only spend 3 to 4 hours in DHS doing his favorite attractions he then park hops over to MK.

Fast forward to next gen, Johnny has pre booked his favorite attractions vis fast pass+. Thing is these attractions now have 2 hours between them, so 4 attractions could take upto 8 hours. By this time Johnny is shattered and cant be bothered to park hop over to MK.

With so long between rides he is also spending more on merch and F&D just to pass the time.

Its difficult to hit other rides as the queue is too long, so he is worried he will miss his FP+ window for TofT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom