NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

ChrisFL

Premium Member
How will the magic bands not get stolen by people if they're not secured or fall off. Will the person have to "cancel" their magicband as soon as they find out its lost/stolen?

Edit: oops someone already asked that

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Any creep can pick up the bracelet if they saw a kid lose it in the hallway of their resort. As for WDW doing identity checks for the DDP, I highly doubt that ANY QS or snack cart would. Maybe for TS.

Unless the thief is going to go door to door in the resort, which I would think would raise suspicion, they would have to be in the right place to see someone drop the bracelet and know which room they came from.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Any creep can pick up the bracelet if they saw a kid lose it in the hallway of their resort

If you go that far.. you've been at risk for a decade plus now. Has that kept you away?

As for WDW doing identity checks for the DDP, I highly doubt that ANY QS or snack cart would. Maybe for TS.

All it takes is asking 'And your name sir?' - and they simply check the name on the account vs what the person responds. No need for an explicit ID check to achieve the goal.

And besides... if you use this wristband for so much... how long do you think it will take someone before they realize it's gone?

You're worrying about hypotheticals that while possible - have such limited feasibility and limited risk associated with them.

I'd be far more worried about CMs with poor ethics stealing my stuff than I would be for some creeper hanging out in the hallways waiting for the slight chance someone will drop their new fancy bracelet.

SirLink

Disney are not storing credit cards on tickets. They are storing credit cards on databases, as they always have. I don't see the fresh concern here. If you are happy to have your card stored already, how does this change with the new system?

Didn't Staggs confirm in his PR piece today that non-resort guests can attach CC to their tickets?

I also didn't say that and you know that ... I'm saying the credit card information will be stored in the DATABASE on the SERVER along with your address and name... if that is hacked ... and seen as we haven't had a huge piece of hacking news since Anonymous, last year, ... all I'm saying is if other people had their servers hacked and personal information was let out in the public I expect Disney to fall to the same sword...in 2013

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't say that and you know that ... I'm saying the credit card information will be stored in the DATABASE on the SERVER along with your address and name... if that is hacked ... and seen as we haven't had a huge piece of hacking news since Anonymous ... all I'm saying is if other people had their servers hacked and personal information was let out in the public I expect Disney to fall to the same sword...

The same risk Disney has been facing for decades now...

NextGen opens new risks due to new attack vectors being available to the network - but your premise of 'they are storing all these cards!!' is the same as it's been since Disney's been taking credit card reservations for hotels for decades now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I didn't say that and you know that ... I'm saying the credit card information will be stored in the DATABASE on the SERVER along with your address and name... if that is hacked ... and seen as we haven't had a huge piece of hacking news since Anonymous ... all I'm saying is if other people had their servers hacked and personal information was let out in the public I expect Disney to fall to the same sword...
What I don't understand is why you are concerned about this now. Disney have had databases with credit card and address details for decades. This is not new. Therefore I don't understand why this is being raised as a concern now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I see here is everyone focusing on how things CAN'T WORK instead of focusing on how to make things work

An old boss of mine used to always say... 'Solutions... not problems'

Don't come to me with problems - come to me with solutions. You don't ignore problems, but you don't dwell on them and paralyze yourself on that.. you put your energy into how to solve them.

CWDfense

Wow, there is so much negative going on, from the usual suspects of course.
Annual Passes aren't going away. And nobody, who would have any idea, said anything of the sort.
MyMagic+, NextGen, or whatever you want to call it is a great merging of technological innovation with an eye towards the experience of the park visitor, which, besides the addition of Fastpass in the late 90's has been stagnant since... 1971.
And its pretty obvious to me, standing in Enchanted Forest, looking at the cool new stuff; seeing the changes to Test Track, and knowing there is more to come that its not like NextGen took money away that would have been spent elsewhere.
Ok, no more to say. Back into hiding again for another 5 years.

I've been following the whole NextGen conversation for a few months and obviously there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. I would have loved to see $2B allocated to new attractions, but I think everyone else would as well. If the rumors are true, then that is coming, albeit it a little late.

I'm a bit surprised at all the trashing of FastPass+ etc though. I would venture a guess that the majority of the people posting on these boards are fans of FastPass. So if message boarding was as big in 1999, would the same conversation be going on? I'm sure in 1999 the concern was, the lines are going to be so much longer, it's going to cost us money, etc, etc. That seemed to work out pretty well. I highly doubt a multi-billion corporation is going to sink $2B into something based on a few people wanting to push it through. There had to be some research behind this that supports enhancements to the experience.

Also, this could be the future of theme parks, that Disney is trying to get ahead of. A few people have mentioned that they go on vacation to get away from IPads, screens, apps, etc, but that's the future. Kids in school are on computers, iPads, etc so for Disney to build it into the experience only makes sense. It's the future.

EOD K9

My God... the horrible tan line on my wrist! No wonder everyone's so afraid of NextGen. :eek:
I've got the permanent cycling tanlines....a wristband will make little difference to me. Maybe we can get necklaces for the people who are into fashion. Hows about a fancy broach?

nc_disneyfreak

this is a great idea all around! i cant wait until our next trip to be able to use this new technology. way to go disney for staying at the forefront of the future! any naysayers probably didnt like it when you first were able to book online as well. just sayin....

SirLink

What I don't understand is why you are concerned about this now. Disney have had databases with credit card and address details for decades. This is not new. Therefore I don't understand why this is being raised as a concern now.

Something something Anonymous something something rising cyber attacks something something rising cyber terrorism something something selling the data onwards to more criminals something something...

But hey you get to be wished Happy Birthday by Pooh ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Something something Anonymous something something rising cyber attacks something something rising cyber terrorism something something selling the data onwards to more criminals something something...

But hey you get to be wished Happy Birthday by Pooh ...

A risk they would be at REGARDLESS of NextGen...

So again.. what's the fuss?

Or maybe you are proposing Disney stop taking credit cards for reservations period?

docnabox

Walt would be disappointed if TDO did not innovate. He never wanted the parks to become stale. Just because 2 billion dollars were spent to introduce next gen and not spent on attractions does not make it wrong. Do the parks need refurbishing, sure. But why are we still using the same fast past system as originally designed? This is innovation and enhancement and I am happy to see things moving in a direction. Good or bad we will not know for a while.

Maybe so, but why do we in many case still have the same rides as originally designed? Innovation and enhancement in that area would be my preference. Whether it be a loud, smelly race track that could by itself become another small themed land in the MK with all new innovative and enhanced attractions or just an innovative ride system and enhanced animatronics to upgrade an older ride, those are the things that I think most guests would prefer. I don't see how any of this stuff is really going to make any future trips I make better

SirLink

A risk they would be at REGARDLESS of NextGen...

So again.. what's the fuss?

Or maybe you are proposing Disney stop taking credit cards for reservations period?

Nah I'm not saying that I'm saying the web security is abysmal and previous to this when I've requested passwords from Disney they come back in plain text ... which makes me question if they have properly salted the information...that is what I'm saying it has been a while since I've used the Disney site ... but as they say a Leopard doesn't change its spots!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Nah I'm not saying that I'm saying the web security is abysmal and previous to this when I've requested passwords from Disney they come back in plain text ... which makes me question if they have properly salted the information...that is what I'm saying it has been a while since I've used the Disney site ... but as they say a Leopard doesn't change its spots!
How are you expecting the passwords to be returned? They do have to be humanly readable after-all, and they are of course encrypted in the database.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Didn't Staggs confirm in his PR piece today that non-resort guests can attach CC to their tickets?

I also didn't say that and you know that ... I'm saying the credit card information will be stored in the DATABASE on the SERVER along with your address and name... if that is hacked ... and seen as we haven't had a huge piece of hacking news since Anonymous, last year, ... all I'm saying is if other people had their servers hacked and personal information was let out in the public I expect Disney to fall to the same sword...in 2013

If you purchase a hotel reservation, park tix, dining or anything else on disneyworld.com.... You run the same risk. I understand your concern obviously but that same risk has been here for a while.

MissM

FP+ is going to be for everyone, but the band will be for WDW resort guests and APs only - at least for a while.
What if you're an AP but would never in a million years want a bracelet? Can you still have a regular ticket instead?

(And before you say it, yes I understand I could stick it in my pocket but a bracelet is much bulkier than a ticket (or two! since I currently carry both my ticket and Love's ticket together) in your pocket. Not to mention, I already have this wonderful thing called a "wallet" that the tickets are specially designed to fit into with my other items like license and credit cards.)

GrumpyFan

What if you're an AP but would never in a million years want a bracelet? Can you still have a regular ticket instead?

(And before you say it, yes I understand I could stick it in my pocket but a bracelet is much bulkier than a ticket (or two! since I currently carry both my ticket and Love's ticket together) in your pocket. Not to mention, I already have this wonderful thing called a "wallet" that the tickets are specially designed to fit into with my other items like license and credit cards.)

I think there are plans for other options besides a bracelet, like a card, or lanyard even. But, I haven't seen anything official yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom