NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I really doubt you will be going to Universal/SeaWorld instead. They just don't have the same magic that WDW has. To me it's like saying that you're going to start drinking RC Cola now and never have any Coke or Pepsi products again. Good luck with that...but you will be drawn back to the quality of the really good stuff again, for sure.
Believe it or not, your concept of "magic" is not necessarily the same as everyone else's. Your concept of quality, doubly so.

jmb2676

I really doubt you will be going to Universal/SeaWorld instead. They just don't have the same magic that WDW has. To me it's like saying that you're going to start drinking RC Cola now and never have any Coke or Pepsi products again. Good luck with that...but you will be drawn back to the quality of the really good stuff again, for sure.
Have you been to Sea World or Universal recently? Sorry to tell you, but that's where the real quality stuff is these days.

Nemo14

I posted this in the thread about Disney pricing themselves out of the Middle class:

We have friends who will be visiting with us next month while we're snowbirding, so I did some checking for them yesterday about theme park tickets.
For roughly $270.00 each, they can get 3 days at U/IoA Park-to-Park with Express Pass, plus 14 days of unlimited visits to Sea World and Busch Gardens.
Or for $299.00 each, they can get 3-day ParkHoppers at WDW.
Hmmmm.... I wonder what they'll choose....

We discussed their options with them last night - one of them has visited all the parks several times, the other is a newbie. They asked what if anything was new at each park, so the only thing we could come up with that would interest them was the new Test Track. For the difference in price, it was just not worth it, so they won't be going to DisneyWorld at all. Boy I sure hope it's still a magical vacation!:cool:

Jane Doe

We discussed their options with them last night - one of them has visited all the parks several times, the other is a newbie. They asked what if anything was new at each park, so the only thing we could come up with that would interest them was the new Test Track. For the difference in price, it was just not worth it, so they won't be going to DisneyWorld at all. Boy I sure hope it's still a magical vacation!:cool:

Did you not mention that they could possibly get a wristband which could be customised and would mean they wouldn't have to carry that cumbersome, wallet-sized piece of card round all day? I'm sure that would have made them think twice about not returning to WDW.

Nemo14

Did you not mention that they could possibly get a wristband which could be customised and would mean they wouldn't have to carry that cumbersome, wallet-sized piece of card round all day? I'm sure that would have made them think twice about not returning to WDW.

Yeah, what was I thinking?

PolynesianPrincess

I posted this in the thread about Disney pricing themselves out of the Middle class:

We have friends who will be visiting with us next month while we're snowbirding, so I did some checking for them yesterday about theme park tickets.
For roughly $270.00 each, they can get 3 days at U/IoA Park-to-Park with Express Pass, plus 14 days of unlimited visits to Sea World and Busch Gardens.
Or for $299.00 each, they can get 3-day ParkHoppers at WDW.
Hmmmm.... I wonder what they'll choose....

We did the same thing a few years back. We had our timeshare and we had banked it from the year before so we needed to use it but we were a litt strapped for cash that year. So we priced out the difference between Uni / IOA and SW / BG and Disney. We ended up getting a 2 day BG / SW pass, a 1 day pass to go to Disney and then our friend got us comp tickets to IOA. While we would have loved Disney, it was just too much money for us. People who have cheaper options and don't have the extra money are going to start taking the least expensive option. And that seems lately to be the other Orlando attractions.

Currently we have AP's. We spend just as much money there on souvenirs as we would if we didn't have the AP. TIW also saves us some money, but honestly without the TIW card we would cut back drastically on our TS dining. I think they are making the same amount of money off me and my traveling companions regardless of the AP. The AP just allows us to try more dining and buy more souvenirs. It would be a shame if they did away with it.

Ignohippo

There are multiple outcomes of NextGen, but most of the guests won't see it because it will be internal information. The whole semi-all-inclusive bracelet is just the marketing gimmick and face that Disney is putting to the project. NextGen from a business standpoint is an information driven system that will allow Disney to have a more accurate tracking of how a guest experiences the parks and spends their discretionary dollars. The information that Disney will gather from this is priceless from a business standpoint. A billion dollar investment will be recovered based on changes within the operation of the parks and resorts based on guest information.

I've heard this stated a million times, but I don't believe the data alone justifies an $2 billion initiative. There is much more to this than that.

IMO, they are hoping to eliminate the discounts on food and merchandise and replace them with things that don't cost Disney anything at all – a "VIP experience" with FP+, better parade and fireworks viewing, and personal character interactions. It wouldn't take too long to recoup the $2 billion if food and merchandise discounts can be eliminated.

GrumpyFan

I've heard this stated a million times, but I don't believe the data alone justifies an $2 billion initiative. There is much more to this than that.

I think a big part of the underlying plan here is to get rid of the notion of cash/credit cards in the parks, hoping that if the guest doesn't actually have to pull out their wallet they will spend more. I mean, think about it, we associate pulling out our wallet or purse with spending money, so we tend to lock them up and refrain from pulling them out. The concept of the "Key to the World", where guests could link their room key/pass to their credit card was a step toward this, but it still involved the guest pulling it out of their pocket/wallet. Now, with the RFID band, the process is much simpler, they just have to hold it up to the scanner, and that association with pulling out your wallet doesn't hit you, that is until you see your next credit card bill.

disneyflush

My memories of growing up with Disney are pretty special to me. I don't want to give up on Disney. Their advertising begs me to remember the magic and revisit the magical memories. So they don't want me to give up on them either.

asianway

Cuz after hauling in your triple wide stroller, diaper bag, purse, picnic basket, and golf cart sized ECV, that is going to make all the difference.

Virtual Toad

Universal and the other parks in the area would LOVE for Disney to simply GIFT them the Florida locals..... not even the money pinchers at WDW are THAT stupid.

Never going to happen.

They'll still offer APs but fewer people will want them. And they want fewer APs. DDP shut locals out of restaurants and FP+ will shut us out of attractions unless we're willing to hyper plan. That's not how APers want to visit the parks. Without spontaneity, the desire to visit WDW wanes quickly, especially if all we're left with is table scraps.

Look for DisCo to continue to raise prices and reduce discounts for APers. And look for APers to actively take their leisure time and money elsewhere. Because that's exactly what's going to happen.

puntagordabob

I would agree that a family traveling from Someplace, Upnorth would spend more than me, a local. But I would still be spending $1500 (family of 3) for APs, and most likely spend some money on food and Cokes, and occasionally on some merchandise (particularly around the Holidays). It seems to be a really stupid business decission to not want to get as many people as possible into their parks. They would certainly make more money off of me if they can actually get me in the parks as opposed to me spending ALL my expendable income up the road at Universal/SeaWorld.

I AGREE.... Out of town folks spend more money than I do in say 5 days than I do in 5 days... BUT since we go to WDW 30 or more days a year as a Florida PAP holder THAT whole concept gets tossed out. While we do some day trips...the majority of them are min 1 over night visits and we do a 5 nights usually week after Turkeyday.

puntagordabob

They'll still offer APs but fewer people will want them. And they want fewer APs. DDP shut locals out of restaurants and FP+ will shut us out of attractions unless we're willing to hyper plan. That's not how APers want to visit the parks. Without spontaneity, the desire to visit WDW wanes quickly, especially if all we're left with is table scraps.

Look for DisCo to continue to raise prices and reduce discounts for APers. And look for APers to actively take their leisure time and money elsewhere. Because that's exactly what's going to happen.

Well if they get too rediculous we will reluctantly take our business over to UNI....and out to Disneyland!

If TDO is that stupid they deserve to all be fired.....cuz one day burning all these bridges WILL haunt them.... and with places like Shanghai Disney really blowing the "WOW" doors out of WDW they are going to be hit in the International market....and THATS when they will tell us they LOVE the locals again....but by then it will be Too late.

People that KNOW me will tell you that I am a "Die-hard" WDW fan....so for them to "Turn" me away from wanting to go there will be quite an accomplishment... and sad thought is when my Florida PAP expires in march( I think it is anyways) I am really starting to wonder if I should renew it or wait until fall... AND THAT SAYS ALOT coming out of my mouth.

Jane Doe

I think a big part of the underlying plan here is to get rid of the notion of cash/credit cards in the parks, hoping that if the guest doesn't actually have to pull out their wallet they will spend more. I mean, think about it, we associate pulling out our wallet or purse with spending money, so we tend to lock them up and refrain from pulling them out. The concept of the "Key to the World", where guests could link their room key/pass to their credit card was a step toward this, but it still involved the guest pulling it out of their pocket/wallet. Now, with the RFID band, the process is much simpler, they just have to hold it up to the scanner, and that association with pulling out your wallet doesn't hit you, that is until you see your next credit card bill.

This is my reckoning too.

I've been on a few cruises and when on board I tend to spend very little. This isn't by being a tight , I don't drink alcohol, I do my own shore excursions and don't feel the need to by gold by the yard, but when my final account comes under the door on the last night I'm always stunned at how much more it is than I thought, but the problem is with cruises there is no other way of paying for anything. I only use credit cards when there is no cash option (car rental and hotel security deposits, online shopping) but at the moment I can pay my way through my Disney days with what I've got in my wallet. The new system may mean very little to the big family purchases like lunch and dinner but those balloons on Main Street and the light up things sold at the night time events may be just that little bit too easy to buy from now on.

Virtual Toad

I AGREE.... Out of town folks spend more money than I do in say 5 days than I do in 5 days... BUT since we go to WDW 30 or more days a year as a Florida PAP holder THAT whole concept gets tossed out. While we do some day trips...the majority of them are min 1 over night visits and we do a 5 nights usually week after Turkeyday.

I agree with you there Bob, APers don't just do day trips. They spend considerable $$$ staying at resorts and should be considered as valuable, loyal, repeat customers. But WDW has shown little to no love for passholders as of late. Perhaps we don't fit the mold of how they want customers to behave. It's bewildering, short-sighted and myopic on DisCo's part, but their actions make it pretty clear they're comfortable forging ahead without APers in the mix.

Virtual Toad

People that KNOW me will tell you that I am a "Die-hard" WDW fan....so for them to "Turn" me away from wanting to go there will be quite an accomplishment... and sad thought is when my Florida PAP expires in march( I think it is anyways) I am really starting to wonder if I should renew it or wait until fall... AND THAT SAYS ALOT coming out of my mouth.

You just described my family's feelings and situation perfectly. Our passes expired in December, and even though our kids still have active APs until April we're taking our business elsewhere. Visiting WDW is a chore that's no longer worth it considering the prices, mediocrity and hassle (DDP and now FPP+). The WDW product of today is almost unrecognizable compared with what it used to be and that's the real shame in all this. Something truly special is dying before our eyes and the powers that be would rather play its customers for fools than address the real problems.

googilycub

You don't know me very well do you. I let my WDW AP expire in March 2011. But just renewed my Universal APs for my entire family. Magical staleness and new princess crap isn't much a draw for me. I'm really looking forward to Transformers. Which beat RSR for best Dark Ride of the year for a Golden Ticket Award.

But have fun on your 3,576th trip on Pooh.

I will, just as I had fun on my 1st trip on the Little Mermaid ride on my current trip. I will also no doubt have fun on my 1st ride on the 7 dwarfs coaster next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom