NextGen CIT (Central Intelligence Thread)

mousehockey37

I just hate how this tries to manage time down to every little moment. I don't know about you, but I personally love to just explore the parks with no restraints on what I have to do and what I don't have to do. Maybe a grab a Fastpass for a popular attraction, and then happily just make my own way around the park. Sadly, that will be gone soon.

If it's not broken, then why fix it?

Well. Time to go actually enjoy Universal's parks with a wonderful $224 annual pass!

Honestly, there's already people out there that micromanage their vacations on their own, they don't need Disney's help, lol. I'm like you, I like being able to explore and roam. I don't think the system is trying to manage you down to the minute. If you don't care about having to get the "uber unbeatable fastpass that trumps all other fastpasses", you still have that freedom. ADR's are sort of in this system, but they've been going on for awhile now, but, it's still trackable.

It's just exploring your imagination as to how much or little this system will impact you.

BryceM

Honestly, there's already people out there that micromanage their vacations on their own, they don't need Disney's help, lol. I'm like you, I like being able to explore and roam. I don't think the system is trying to manage you down to the minute. If you don't care about having to get the "uber unbeatable fastpass that trumps all other fastpasses", you still have that freedom. ADR's are sort of in this system, but they've been going on for awhile now, but, it's still trackable.

It's just exploring your imagination as to how much or little this system will impact you.
Ah, thanks! So, with the old Fastpass system being cut, there will still be a Fastpass line, but for those with Fastpass+? I'm assuming this won't make any difference in the current wait times for the regular queue with the current Fastpass system? Or will Fastpass+ clog up the regular queue even more?

Sorry, I think I worded that a bit awkwardly, but hopefully it makes sense!

mickey2008.1

I don't think it will be scrapped. It just may not meet the expectations that the system was sold on due to the complexity of it. The system will be there but it might be like Disco Yeti. Not doing everything it was supposed to do.
A disco yeti, funny. Imagine what could have been done in reality for 1.5 bil.

mousehockey37

Ah, thanks! So, with the old Fastpass system being cut, there will still be a Fastpass line, but for those with Fastpass+? I'm assuming this won't make any difference in the current wait times for the regular queue with the current Fastpass system? Or will Fastpass+ clog up the regular queue even more?

I'm not sure how it's gonna go, but my imagination has it looking something like this:

Guest 1: Hi, I'm in the standby line, it says 20 minutes.
Guest 2: I have a fastpass, I'll go around that 20 minute wait.
Guest 3: I used fastpass+, I scheduled my ride 4 months ago, you can all wait.
Guest 1 (45 minutes later): Well, I haven't moved.
Guest 2 (45 minutes later): Well, I haven't moved.
Guest 3 (45 minutes later): Woohoo, this is my 3rd time walking onto this ride!!!

BryceM

I'm not sure how it's gonna go, but my imagination has it looking something like this:

Guest 1: Hi, I'm in the standby line, it says 20 minutes.
Guest 2: I have a fastpass, I'll go around that 20 minute wait.
Guest 3: I used fastpass+, I scheduled my ride 4 months ago, you can all wait.
Guest 1 (45 minutes later): Well, I haven't moved.
Guest 2 (45 minutes later): Well, I haven't moved.
Guest 3 (45 minutes later): Woohoo, this is my 3rd time walking onto this ride!!!
Dear lord. I surely hope you're wrong. So wait, will the current Fastpass system still be used?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

That's the million dollar question with all of this. One camp says if there are less FP+ ticket "reservations" given than regular FP tickets then in theory the standby lines should move faster, but there will be more people using them so who knows if the wait will be any shorter. On the flip side if there are more FP+ reservations than current FP it could mean longer standby lines. Based on the fact that the number of FP+ reservations is limited and they are adding rides currently without FP and things like meals, meet and greets and parades my guess is FP+ will mean less people in the FP lines at each attraction which should speed up the standby lines some. Only time will tell.

mousehockey37

Dear lord. I surely hope you're wrong. So wait, will the current Fastpass system still be used?

I'm sure others will be able to answer the part about if the current syste will still stand.

I did however realize I missed something in the last post:

Guest 1 (hour later): Well, the ride is down now, let's go...
Guest 2 (hour later): Well, the ride is down, my fastpass will still get honored the CM said, off we go...
Guest 3 (hour later): Get me off the ride!!!! I've seen this scene for the last hour!!!!!

Based upon what I am hearing, Fastpass+ will most likely clog up the regular queue and the Fastpass line even more than they have ever been. Think about it, Disney has over 26,000 resort rooms. Most likely, if you are staying on Disney property you will be spending most, if not all your time at the parks. If, at a busy time, Disney has 20,000 of these rooms filled, think about how many people are staying in each room. If four people stay in each room, than Disney has to distribute 80,000 Fastpass (using Fastpass+). Considering Disney has around 70 attractions that distribute Fastpasses, I can see this leading to a much longer Fastpass wait time. For non-Disney Resort guests, if Disney continues distributing regular fastpasses, there will only be so many as the Disney resort guests will have taken most, if not all of the maximum number of fastpasses an attraction can distribute.

kittybubbles

I don't know about you, but I don't want someone sending me messages (texting rates WILL apply) while I'm on vacation to tell me what rides they want me to go on.

The apps they have now are already capable of showing that rides are down. Disney may be able track me, but I'll be the one who decides what I actually do.

They can use WiFi to push messages to your phone and I assume that is why they give free WiFi everywhere w/ NEXTGEN. Folks can always not use their phone and they need something for folks who do not have a smart phone.

Anyway, I imagine they need to do something when rides go down as they are trying to improve guest satisfaction not kill it...can you imagine being told you will ride space or TT on your day in the park but the ride is down during you time frame..you used up one of your premium picks so they will need to do something to adjust...the ride comes back, they can't now have two hours worth of FP+ folks in the 'fast' queue....what if a ride does not come back on your planned to the minute day...is this now a breach of contract since they told you six months out that you would ride your favorite attraction?

Heck, weather only is going to mean they are going to need a way to adjust things on the fly for guest more as folks will now have a higher expectation of what rides they will get to experience during their 'magical' vacation.

Rasvar

I still think they will get the ROI. It just may not be as big of a bang that they wanted. This system is really working on a lot of theoretical work that has been going around in academic circles for a while. I've been seeing articles about ways to develop these kind of systems in academic journals for a while. It was going to take a company with the financial backing of Disney to pull it off. If this system is even half as successful in doing what they want, the cost investment will be returned in a matter of about five years. If it meets what they want, it could be as little as two years. Ultimately, I am guessing this system will be able to dynamically model staffing needs based on many factors including time of year, day, weather forecast and who is staying in the resorts along with learning how to guide people in ways that help the bottom line and make the customer happier. That would be the ultimate success a few years down the road if it can correctly model these events. But, they have to get the basic system working first and that is a lot of tricky interconnected systems to start with. I actually think they can make the system work, but it may be about 20-25% more than initially budgeted. Even so, a system at 75% of what was promised would probably make money.

My conjecture is based on what I am seeing implemented and what I have been able to get confirmed or denied on widely reported information when compared to some of the ideas I have seen floated. So my guess may be off but I don't think it would be that far off.

mousehockey37

They can use WiFi to push messages to your phone and I assume that is why they give free WiFi everywhere w/ NEXTGEN. Folks can always not use their phone and they need so,etching for folks who do not have a smart phone.

Anyway, I imagine they need to do something when rides go down as they are trying to improve guest satisfaction not kill it...can you imagine being told you will ride space or TT on your day in the park but the ride is down during you time frame..you used up one of your premium picks so they will need to do something to adjust...the ride comes back, they can't now have two hours worth of FP+ folks in the 'fast' queue....what if a ride does not come back on your planned to the minute day...is this now a breach of contract since they told you six months out that you would ride your favorite attraction?

Heck, weather only is going to mean they are going to need a way to adjust things on the fly for guest more as folks will now have a higher expectation of what rides they will get to experience during their 'magical' vacation.

This is something else I was wondering. If you schedule your ride on TT on Sept. 6 at 11:00am and the ride is down, then what? The weather is going to throw a major wrench into the system, and it's something we haven't discussed yet. Sure, the old throw on a poncho and go routine is fine, but there's just some things that won't go in the rain/thunderstorm. Disney's current plan at guest relations for complaints is a fastpass, ice cream voucher or both... so what are they gonna do? Are they gonna bump people from their rides, kinda like airlines can? They can send you a wifi message to your phone telling you that, "We are sorry to inform you that you have been bumped from your TT ride today due to the ride being down yesterday, the earliest we could get you in is in 2 days during your ADR, thanks for your cooperation, see you then!" :p

BryceM

That's the million dollar question with all of this. One camp says if there are less FP+ ticket "reservations" given than regular FP tickets then in theory the standby lines should move faster, but there will be more people using them so who knows if the wait will be any shorter. On the flip side if there are more FP+ reservations than current FP it could mean longer standby lines. Based on the fact that the number of FP+ reservations is limited and they are adding rides currently without FP and things like meals, meet and greets and parades my guess is FP+ will mean less people in the FP lines at each attraction which should speed up the standby lines some. Only time will tell.
I agree with the latter. As long as Disney is in control, they will be spreading out people throughout the park as much as possible. I can see this actually decreasing the Standby wait time because not everyone will be rushing to one attraction at once. They will be spread all over the place doing things in planned order, make it easier for the average park guest around them who acts more spontaneously. Though I could see a problem if the ride breaks down. The Fastpass+ and regular Fastpass queue will continuously build up, leaving the standby line with no hope.

Whew. I hope I am grasping the concept correctly... It's a simple concept, but it's confusing at the same time.

Californian Elitist

But why start atbwdw and not dl? Why try the larger of the two and not start small. 1.5 billion, ix parks first, then upgrade to better enjoyment o the park.

The guests at Disneyland would have an absolute FIT if they were to experiment this new system there. Not to mention WDW is the vacation spot. Disneyland, not so much. They were smart to use WDW.

BryceM

The guests at Disneyland would have an absolute FIT if they were to experiment this new system there. Not to mention WDW is the vacation spot. Disneyland, not so much. They were smart to use WDW.
I agree. Though I've never been to Disneyland, it's obvious that it's a more "local" resort than Walt Disney World is. If the system would be used anywhere, Walt Disney World is the best option with the amount of people that visit on a daily basis throughout the four parks. Keep it there.

Rasvar

Based upon what I am hearing, Fastpass+ will most likely clog up the regular queue and the Fastpass line even more than they have ever been. Think about it, Disney has over 26,000 resort rooms. Most likely, if you are staying on Disney property you will be spending most, if not all your time at the parks. If, at a busy time, Disney has 20,000 of these rooms filled, think about how many people are staying in each room. If four people stay in each room, than Disney has to distribute 80,000 Fastpass (using Fastpass+). Considering Disney has around 70 attractions that distribute Fastpasses, I can see this leading to a much longer Fastpass wait time. For non-Disney Resort guests, if Disney continues distributing regular fastpasses, there will only be so many as the Disney resort guests will have taken most, if not all of the maximum number of fastpasses an attraction can distribute.

Don't expect FP+ to be equal at every resort level. I feel certain be limited. That is the way to monetize it. I will be shocked if it does not have tiers and to go to the higher tiers that will cost a good bit more money if you are staying in a value resort instead of a deluxe resort. Fastpass is also based on mathematical algorithms. The free FP system will likely still exist for non-resort guests. It will just have its numbers reduced at the start of the day. The free system will just use the what is left. There are a lot of Fastpass slots. Don't forget there is a limitation of one park per day for FP+ (I actually think this will remain for a while). That spreads out the numbers around the property. You might get one free FP+ a day. I suspect when the system is live, you will be paying for extras. Not everyone is going to pay. It won't be as bad as people think. I'm guessing about a 5-10% increase in standby time most of the time. But, FP and FP+ will be treated exactly the same in the queue. It will just allow early distribution of FP.

Rasvar

Heh. Just wait until they try to enforce the fastpass return times at DLR. The line at City Hall would probably wrap to the castle.

mousehockey37

What I would be interested to know is, once my vacation has concluded and I've done my part of giving info for the Nextgen, to what extent is my information going to be used after I'm gone? On job applications you have the options of disclosing gender, race, veteran, etc... Disney doesn't sound like they're going to give that option. Will any of this info be made public? Will it be used by other park sponsors to clog my emails and phone?

Don't expect FP+ to be equal at every resort level. I feel certain be limited. That is the way to monetize it. I will be shocked if it does not have tiers and to go to the higher tiers that will cost a good bit more money if you are staying in a value resort instead of a deluxe resort. Fastpass is also based on mathematical algorithms. The free FP system will likely still exist for non-resort guests. It will just have its numbers reduced at the start of the day. The free system will just use the what is left. There are a lot of Fastpass slots. Don't forget there is a limitation of one park per day for FP+ (I actually think this will remain for a while). That spreads out the numbers around the property. You might get one free FP+ a day. I suspect when the system is live, you will be paying for extras. Not everyone is going to pay. It won't be as bad as people think. I'm guessing about a 5-10% increase in standby time most of the time. But, FP and FP+ will be treated exactly the same in the queue. It will just allow early distribution of FP.
You make a very good point. I can see Disney limiting the amount of FP based on resort category. However, with FP+ in full effect, Extra Magic Hours will be very limited if not completely gone. As mentioned earlier, for NexGen to make Disney profit, Disney will cut the Extra Magic Hours Benefit, which was the same for all resorts. Limiting the number of FP based on resort categories would make sense, but I feel would enrage others, particular those staying in Value Resorts.

Rasvar

What I would be interested to know is, once my vacation has concluded and I've done my part of giving info for the Nextgen, to what extent is my information going to be used after I'm gone? On job applications you have the options of disclosing gender, race, veteran, etc... Disney doesn't sound like they're going to give that option. Will any of this info be made public? Will it be used by other park sponsors to clog my emails and phone?

I'm sure that will be in the Terms of Use when you sign up for FP+, a wristband, the My Disney Experience app, etc.

Rasvar

You make a very good point. I can see Disney limiting the amount of FP based on resort category. However, with FP+ in full effect, Extra Magic Hours will be very limited if not completely gone. As mentioned earlier, for NexGen to make Disney profit, Disney will cut the Extra Magic Hours Benefit, which was the same for all resorts. Limiting the number of FP based on resort categories would make sense, but I feel would enrage others, particular those staying in Value Resorts.

That would actually be the kind of thing that would get me to consider a higher value resort though. Right now, if you are in a deluxe resort, you really aren't getting a huge bang for that extra buck if you are spending most of your time in the parks. The key is that it has to start out tiered to begin with. If it starts in the deluxes and then moves its way down, they can call it an enhancement. They just can't give everyone full access on property on day one and then back it off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom